***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Any runners in here? I got the back of my leg done on Friday (ankle to inner knee and pretty much the whole width of the back of leg), and I forgot to ask my artist if/when I can run again. Any advice?
I think a week might be fine. Essentially just wait till the tattoo scabs up and heals right. Just hate to mess it up which i have done from picking at my tattoo. I have white areas that essentially should have been black cause the scar peeled away with the ink on it.

So I got a quote for the Poseidon thigh piece for $3600 by Andy Pho. He's able to even tattoo me next week in Vegas. Overall with tip, flight and all, it looks to be mid $4k range.

The only thing it's a 12 hour sitting to get it done in one day. Has anyone ever done that long of a sitting? I have done at most 6 hours. I just wonder if I can even do a 12 hour sitting without tapping out on my thigh. Not sure if I should commit to this or not.

So I got a quote for the Poseidon thigh piece for $3600 by Andy Pho. He's able to even tattoo me next week in Vegas. Overall with tip, flight and all, it looks to be mid $4k range.

The only thing it's a 12 hour sitting to get it done in one day. Has anyone ever done that long of a sitting? I have done at most 6 hours. I just wonder if I can even do a 12 hour sitting without tapping out on my thigh. Not sure if I should commit to this or not.
12 hours straight? :sick: That sounds absolutely brutal.
I tapped out at 6 hours too :lol:

The St. Michael piece I got was 5 hours. Started in the morning and ended late afternoon. No lunch and I almost passed out on the drive home.

With sufficient breaks and sugary foods/drinks, I could probably do 12 hours if need be. I'd probably be exhausted for like the next day or so though :lol:

I got work done in Philly last Wednesday then traveled to NYC on Thursday for another session. I got a cold Friday night :lol: I think my body just gave in from all the travel and trauma

The most I've done was 6 as well. The thighs don't hurt that much though.

To be real with you fam, I would ask him if I could consume a large amount of edibles and fall asleep for some of the time. All the people I've know that have sat beyond 6 hours all had some kind of chemical assistance. Some used alcohol, xanax and another used some kind of traditional Hawaiian herb to numb the pain.

Most of my sits have been for 8 hours, but I've never gone beyond that. As with most things you need a bit of time to get into it, eventually settle into a nice groove, and then hit a wall at some point and start to get fatigued. It's mostly a mental thing but occasionally bodies can't withstand being under duress for that long, and the artist has to put the brakes on because to keep going would potentially compromise the tattoo, even if the client wanted to keep going. That's definitely on a case-to-case basis, though.

I didn't find the thighs that bad either, but will admit that the closer you get to your groin area, the spicier it gets.

But yeah, take breaks and make sure you have sufficient food and water throughout the sit.

The most I've done was 6 as well. The thighs don't hurt that much though.

To be real with you fam, I would ask him if I could consume a large amount of edibles and fall asleep for some of the time. All the people I've know that have sat beyond 6 hours all had some kind of chemical assistance. Some used alcohol, xanax and another used some kind of traditional Hawaiian herb to numb the pain.

No way taking alcohol is an option. It would look like a crime scene! I am cool off the edibles and what not. Probably just feel like crap the whole time if I did do it. I'll probably just ask for breaks. As much as this is a 12 hour tattoo, hopefully this includes his breaks, stenciling and what not as well. I am hoping it is like 10 or so hours by the end of it but that still sounds terrible. If all goes to crap, I'll just tap out and fly back to Vegas for another sitting.

Thanks for the input. I'll post pics sometime next week.

Becoming a fan of traditional Japanese sleeves. I love the work John Mayer has on his arm. I'm thinking about getting a half leg sleeve like this:

Can someone tell me what to look for in this style as far as quality goes? I love the use of grey water with pink and emerald colors.

That tiger is dope. Been thinking of getting a tiger and wolf heads on my knees.

Becoming a fan of traditional Japanese sleeves. I love the work John Mayer has on his arm. I'm thinking about getting a half leg sleeve like this:

Can someone tell me what to look for in this style as far as quality goes? I love the use of grey water with pink and emerald colors.

I think the only thing I can suggest is make sure the person doing the Japanese work knows how to just place it on the body right. Like know where to lay the wind bars correctly on the muscle and what not. The reality is, so many people know how to do Japanese tattoos and I don't think there is really a solid way of doing them since all artist have their own take on them. When I got my arm done, there was a whole technique in getting my wind bars right where even my tattoo artist needed a second opinion from someone in the shop. It's that attention to detail that made it come out clean and not someone just laying out the work and realizing the lines don't go with the muscle or what not.

One thing for the life of me taht I always thought looked bad is when people got wind bars on their chest but didn't like cover the whole thing. Like below seems correct.....

irezumi-japanese-sleeve-chest-tattoos.jpg

And then you have this crap:

Men-Show-Japanese-Chest-Tattoos.jpg

Nah both ways are fine. I prefer the 2nd one tbh, thats how mine is actually as well.

And Fong, dont do it man. 12 hours, stenciling and all and say 10 hours of tattooing is brutal. Id say keep it at 8 hours of actually tattooing MAX.

Nah both ways are fine. I prefer the 2nd one tbh, thats how mine is actually as well.

And Fong, dont do it man. 12 hours, stenciling and all and say 10 hours of tattooing is brutal. Id say keep it at 8 hours of actually tattooing MAX.

Ah man....my flight is booked and I am ready to go!

Honestly though I don't think I can do it as well. I've looked it up and I don't think I can find one person who can do a 10-12 hour tattoo. Realistically I might just do the max I can do and pay for a full day of work and then just head back to Vegas another time. Thankfully the flight isn't that expensive and long from the Bay Area.

Thought this video was cool. The guy is pretty good and at least giving some NBA stars some good tattoos.

Quick question for you guys. Getting tattooed tomorrow. Total amount is $3600. What would be a proper tip? I know people say 20% but damn, that’s $720! Would $400-$500 be lowballing on a tip? That what I was thinking.

edit saw its in Vegas, man idk I’d throw him a couple hundred and be good. He’s charging you well over the standard hourly rate.

Alright. I am thinking $400 for the even $4k is generous enough. Just thought the 20% this was OD. Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah 20% is stupid expensive at that point.

Bro is making a killing already. It’s not like he hooked it up so you throw him a fatty tip.

Quick question for you guys. Getting tattooed tomorrow. Total amount is $3600. What would be a proper tip? I know people say 20% but damn, that’s $720! Would $400-$500 be lowballing on a tip? That what I was thinking.

If your tattoo artist is worth his or her salt then he or she won't be expecting a tip at all - tips are historically not mandatory, but certainly appreciated. That being said I'd feel terrible not tipping anything, and will usually give a figure that'll round the total amount out. Like picasso swerve suggested I'd give $400 to even out at $4000 total, and that should be plenty generous on your part.

Best of luck, man - let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom