Official Toronto - Outlet and Store report

Absolutely. Definitely concerning.
I agree and it seems like its more than just inflation when it comes to Jordans. If you look at the increase as a percent versus other nike shoes, Jordan has taken a higher price increase than other nike products. Foams have been around $300 (I think there were $280 a few years back) for a while now and flyknits maybe went up like 10 bucks. Huaraches went up now from $130 to $145 over the past few months. I bought triple blacks for $130 from Haven in August and now are on nike.ca for $145.  I believe I bought Kobe elite 7s for about $240 in 2012 and just got 11s for $265 so it's not just inflation alone.  

I remember in 2012, Jordan's for example were around $189. Our dollar was close to par. Since that time, our dollar has dropped about 30% so if we were to add on a 30% increase due to currency fluctuations alone it would be $245. The whole remastered scam and hype has really driven prices up I think. They do it because they can get it away with it but I think they are seeing that it is not as inelastic as a product as previously thought with stuff sitting in stores and making their way to outlets. High prices, stupid colours, releases every week I think are hitting quantity of sales but price increases have allowed their margins to probably stay the same. Sorry for all the numbers folks, I'm an accountant who works in pricing for my job and never miss an opportunity for number crunching. 

I agree and it seems like its more than just inflation when it comes to Jordans. If you look at the increase as a percent versus other nike shoes, Jordan has taken a higher price increase than other nike products. Foams have been around $300 (I think there were $280 a few years back) for a while now and flyknits maybe went up like 10 bucks. Huaraches went up now from $130 to $145 over the past few months. I bought triple blacks for $130 from Haven in August and now are on nike.ca for $145.  I believe I bought Kobe elite 7s for about $240 in 2012 and just got 11s for $265 so it's not just inflation alone.  

I remember in 2012, Jordan's for example were around $189. Our dollar was close to par. Since that time, our dollar has dropped about 30% so if we were to add on a 30% increase due to currency fluctuations alone it would be $245. The whole remastered scam and hype has really driven prices up I think. They do it because they can get it away with it but I think they are seeing that it is not as inelastic as a product as previously thought with stuff sitting in stores and making their way to outlets. High prices, stupid colours, releases every week I think are hitting quantity of sales but price increases have allowed their margins to probably stay the same. Sorry for all the numbers folks, I'm an accountant who works in pricing for my job and never miss an opportunity for number crunching. 
Repped -- really appreciate the insight.  I'm a numbers guy too and pretty much my feeling on it.

Think the pricing strategy makes sense considering the money Nike was leaving on the table with resellers - to me, it just seem the price increases are cutting more into reseller margins than anything.  Also, with the prices so high - I think it's making people really consider if they want yet another retro Jordan or an actual 'luxury' shoe (MSRP for Pinnacle Jordans or resale price on red or blue Jordan 1s are pretty much the MSRP for YSL SL10).

I've noticed New Balance have actually had the same big increases with made in US NBs at around $180 CAD a few years back to $250 - $300 now.  Although, most people tend to snag NBs after they hit the discount rack.  Been interesting seeing Asics and Saucony gunning after that low-end price point.

But with all this general talk about the sinking CAD/oil prices, rising debts, wages staying stagnant, etc -- advise anyone to save for a rainy day.  Think we're all headed towards some rough times ahead...

You're looking at it wrong

30% drop in our currency means we now have to pay $1.43 / US dollar 

$1 usd / 0.70 cdn = 1.43 CDN per USD

take, for example, flyknit Racers ($150 usd retail)

when our dollar was at par, it costed us $150 cdn to purchase.  Since then, our dollar decreased in value to $0.70 usd.  To buy the same shoes, we would have to pay

(150 / 0.70) = $214 cdn to puchase.  Retail for those Racers here are $200 we're actually catching a break

This is also based on the premise that the CDN dollar is at it's bottom (which it most likely is not).  Instead of having to adjust the prices every 6 months for Canadians, Nike likely predicts our dollar to devalue even further, so they set the prices higher NOW to compensate, in preparation for that time. 

While I agree that the prices have gotten higher, it's really not like they're killing us for being Canadian. (Blame Harper)

Last edited:
Our Canadian dollar is trash so higher retail prices makes sense but also, Nike has produced more shoes that year's prior and raised their prices. Why? Because more stock and higher retail prices means less resellers are tempted to purchase items and flip it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You want Nike to do something about resellers but you don't want to deal with the inconveniences that's come with basic economics

no triple white ultra boosts on this side of the border??? not looking to pay usd + taxes/duties. Somehow came across some core black ultra boosts at sportchek last week (squareone), 209$ but still copped. 

Last edited:

no triple white ultra boosts on this side of the border??? not looking to pay usd + taxes/duties. Somehow came across some core black ultra boosts at sportchek last week (squareone), 209$ but still copped. 
they keep restocking in the states.  i managed to pick up the 3M black pair at the ruvilla restock, not stoked about paying US since our dollar is so crap but i don't forsee a restock of the 3M happening here anytime soon.

Not sure, but I think an ex. of the price increases is shown with the penny 2. Those shops that got them earlier r selling it for $200, and those that got them later r selling it for $215

they keep restocking in the states.  i managed to pick up the 3M black pair at the ruvilla restock, not stoked about paying US since our dollar is so crap but i don't forsee a restock of the 3M happening here anytime soon.
man i cant see myself paying over 350$ for ultra boosts, but i may have to bite the bullet the next restock 

Was just at Vaughan saw the birch tech fleece shorts go on the clearance rack, same 54.97 price but added 20% offor mostly size small. Nothing off hash

Was just at Vaughan saw the birch tech fleece shorts go on the clearance rack, same 54.97 price but added 20% offor mostly size small. Nothing off hash

Repped; been waiting on a TF short discount. Love the birch. Came out to a little over $40 with % and $5 coupon.

Levis is also having a pretty good sale, 50% off clearance price. Was able to cop 2 jeans and a Chino for under 60, might have to do some looking for what you want though

Levis is also having a pretty good sale, 50% off clearance price. Was able to cop 2 jeans and a Chino for under 60, might have to do some looking for what you want though

Thanks for the levis info. Some nice deals on 511.

man i cant see myself paying over 350$ for ultra boosts, but i may have to bite the bullet the next restock 

Exchange hurts. I was fortunate to grab 3Ms locally for $270 (incl. tax).

Exchange hurts. I was fortunate to grab 3Ms locally for $270 (incl. tax).
Oh it wasn't that bad then, I forgot what the retail price was here.  After the currency exchange I paid $260CAD shipped to my boy and then around $20-30US shipped to me

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom