OFFICIAL TRAVEL GUIDE: JAPAN

I was watching this video on youtube about tips when you travel to Japan. This girl said stuff about how to be polite and to not talk loud in public and that people do not look at their phones when on a train or bus. Is this stuff true?

Lmao.. Its BS. Everyone plays with their phone on the train.

The being quiet stuff is true tho.

Glad to hear I am not the only one that loves visiting Japan. I spent 1 month there in the summer of 2014, host family and everything in a small town in ****uoka prefecture. I had a chance to visit Tokyo and Kyoto, both quiet different but lovely in their own ways.

Currently on the hunt for cheap tickets for late summer form NY. Gonna go visit Hyogo area to visit my girlfriend this time, Kobe and Osaka from there.

So I'm actually restructuring my trip due to this thread. I hope someone is around to answer questions....

So far I have booked my ticket and an AirBNB in Tokyo from 5/2-5/7. I will be in Japan until the 11th and would like to also visit Kyoto and Hiroshima.

I had been looking to just go through some of the travel websites etc but it looks like it would be cheaper to just buy a JR Rail Pass and do more AirBNBing in the respective cities?

How hard is it to move around with that rail pass? Can I still just move around Tokyo for a couple days with it if I want? I planned on buying a pass for a week so 7/4-7/11, is that the best move?

So I'm actually restructuring my trip due to this thread. I hope someone is around to answer questions....

So far I have booked my ticket and an AirBNB in Tokyo from 5/2-5/7. I will be in Japan until the 11th and would like to also visit Kyoto and Hiroshima.

I had been looking to just go through some of the travel websites etc but it looks like it would be cheaper to just buy a JR Rail Pass and do more AirBNBing in the respective cities?

How hard is it to move around with that rail pass? Can I still just move around Tokyo for a couple days with it if I want? I planned on buying a pass for a week so 7/4-7/11, is that the best move?
I suggested earlier that u buy the rail pass...it helps, especially when your traveling alot on the rails...I stayed in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo...so that JR week pass is a MUST!

I highly suggest you book an AIRBNB that will offer you a washer and dryer and a portable hotspot (wifi) so it can help with your travels easier...especially using google maps.

Pack light, make use of their rental lockers in the Train terminals or Airport. I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED SINCE YOU WILL BE TRAVELING TO DIFFER PARTS OF JAPAN!

I suggested earlier that u buy the rail pass...it helps, especially when your traveling alot on the rails...I stayed in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo...so that JR week pass is a MUST!

I highly suggest you book an AIRBNB that will offer you a washer and dryer and a portable hotspot (wifi) so it can help with your travels easier...especially using google maps.

Pack light, make use of their rental lockers in the Train terminals or Airport. I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED SINCE YOU WILL BE TRAVELING TO DIFFER PARTS OF JAPAN!

I worry that I won't have enough time really in each city but I will try to make the most of it. For now it looks like I will spend a day in Osaka, a day in Kyoto, and a day in Hiroshima.

I guess the JR would allow me to do that without stressing out too much about where I am going and what I am doing. It also gives me the flexibility of staying in Kyoto longer if I choose.

I worry that I won't have enough time really in each city but I will try to make the most of it. For now it looks like I will spend a day in Osaka, a day in Kyoto, and a day in Hiroshima.

I guess the JR would allow me to do that without stressing out too much about where I am going and what I am doing. It also gives me the flexibility of staying in Kyoto longer if I choose.
I would stay in Kyoto for more than a day...maybe 2-3. There is plenty to see and plenty to eat!

650$ flight from Mia to Japan [emoji]129300[/emoji] , it's either that or back to Europe .

I finally remember to come and look for this thread, and Pictures still arnt up yet??? :lol:

I'm in Japan from March 30 -> April 7.

The itinerary is

Day 1: Tokyo -> Hiroshima -> Okayama
Day 2: Okayama -> Osaka -> Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4: Kyoto - Tokyo
Day 5-7: Tokyo

Re. the JR Rail Pass can be a good deal if you have no time constraints. Plus, the JR Rail Pass (as far as I know) is NOT valid on the Nozomi Shinkansen on the Tokaido - Sanyo Shinkansen lines (which the towns above are all along). Since I'll be there for only a total 8 days, I can't be spending a lot of time changing and travelling on slow trains and figuring out for which trains the Rail Pass is valid. That's why I'm instead getting a round trip Nozomi Shinkansen ticket. With it, I can also make stop overs for each of the days up until I travel back to Toyko without any surcharge.

Peace

I just got back from spending ten days in Japan. All I can say to first time visitors is not to hand money directly and always place it on the tray that's at every register [emoji]9996[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji]️

Last edited:
Japan thread.

I'm in.

Planning for my trip this year to visit some fam.

-Drew

I just got back from spending ten days in Japan. All I can say to first time visitors is not to hand money directly and always place it on the tray that's at every register [emoji]9996[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji]️

I will try to remember that when I go in May thanks bro.

I'm in Japan from March 30 -> April 7.

The itinerary is

Day 1: Tokyo -> Hiroshima -> Okayama
Day 2: Okayama -> Osaka -> Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4: Kyoto - Tokyo
Day 5-7: Tokyo

Re. the JR Rail Pass can be a good deal if you have no time constraints. Plus, the JR Rail Pass (as far as I know) is NOT valid on the Nozomi Shinkansen on the Tokaido - Sanyo Shinkansen lines (which the towns above are all along). Since I'll be there for only a total 8 days, I can't be spending a lot of time changing and travelling on slow trains and figuring out for which trains the Rail Pass is valid. That's why I'm instead getting a round trip Nozomi Shinkansen ticket. With it, I can also make stop overs for each of the days up until I travel back to Toyko without any surcharge.

Peace

I'm there a bit longer than you so I'm spending a bit more time in Tokyo on the front end.

I will be going to Kyoto for 2 days and then Hiroshima for a day before coming back to Tokyo.

I finally remember to come and look for this thread, and Pictures still arnt up yet???
laugh.gif
I got back last week...still organizing and going thru all my photos with the links and writeups....

Sux when your back to reality and have to work homie...lmao

I got back last week...still organizing and going thru all my photos with the links and writeups....

Sux when your back to reality and have to work homie...lmao

haha its all good. coming back to the real world blows. now that im subbed to the thread i'll be :nerd:

Glad to hear I am not the only one that loves visiting Japan. I spent 1 month there in the summer of 2014, host family and everything in a small town in ****uoka prefecture. I had a chance to visit Tokyo and Kyoto, both quiet different but lovely in their own ways.

Currently on the hunt for cheap tickets for late summer form NY. Gonna go visit Hyogo area to visit my girlfriend this time, Kobe and Osaka from there.
NeoGaf in the house 
pimp.gif
 Personally Osaka is just as fun as Tokyo -- food there is amazing. 

I went last year but I think I want to make one more run as the Yen is still pretty weak. I think this will be the time I check out Hokkaido. 

PART 1. 

Been super busy with work even since I got back from my Asia trip so here is a brief run down of my trip in Japan....let me just say....its def. a country I will be coming back to...Food, culture, the people....everything was amazing....

I stayed in Shibuya area...about 10min walk from the Shibuya station. I highly suggest staying close to the station as most of the stores, restaurants and shopping stores are near by. 

First stop: Ichiran. The best ramen I ever had. Its a Franchise so there is a few around Japan.

Go to the machine. Pay for the noodles and the add ons (Seaweed, Egg etc). Make sure you carry plenty Coin money. I would suggest carrying a coin wallet.  It would make things alot easier when counting money at the counter. $1, $5, nickel, dime, quarter are in coins....you will be needing alot of that as alot places will NOT ACCEPT CC.  Do not finish the soup base as you may want extra noodles. if u do want extra noodles...just fill out another piece of paper and hit the bell....they will add extra noodles for $1.80 I believe. I recommend getting 2nds. 

Meiji Shrine located in Tokyo. Def make a visit. Its located in the city and is free admission. 

For sushi we visited Sushi Yasuda....Amazing sushi and great entertainment from Chef Yasuda himself. If you want to make RSVP just a heads up, they only accept RSVP if you speak Japanese. Very limited seating so I suggest booking in advance. 

We went for the Omkase which will run you about $150 per person and thats about $18 pieces of sushi. NOT ROLLS. Omakase is sushi selected by the chef himself when he visits the fish market. So the chef will make random sushi for you unless you tell him otherwise of certain fish you dont like. 

If you have not heard much about it...Look him up. 

Amazing Uni. Sweet and fresh. 

When in Shibuya, visit the famous hanchiko dog. Quite a touching story behind this dog. 

Next stop: Harajuku....aka Hypebeast central. 

IF you want to know where are most of the sneaker stores, vintage clothing shops and other Hypebeast shops....Harajuku is where it is at. 

When getting out of the train station you will see:

Enter into Take****a Street and you will come across small clothing stores, gift shops,  boutiques, Dessert shops and Mcdonalds....

Make sure you try Mcdonalds specialty burger. Mash Potato, Bacon burger and Filet o Shrimp...not all that great but since your in Japan...why not!

While on the same street....make sure you stop by this dessert spot. Its called Zaku Zaku  IIts like a chocolate eclair but the entire thing is fried and filled with egg custard...Straight Crack....

and the ICE CREAM THERE IS A MUST! CRACK COCAINE! 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zakuzaku-原宿店-渋谷区

CRACK COCAINE!

Places to hit up in haraJuku : Atmos, Kicks Lab, Supreme Store, Stussy, Neighborhood store, Underfeated, AAPE & Headporter. Hit up Gong Chai for some bubble tea. 

Will continue this on the next post. Part 2 coming up!

Curious, do your or the Mrs. speak Japanese flatfoot718 flatfoot718 ? You did say you would need to in order to RSVP to Yasuda.

and that fried whatever filled with whatever, my god I need to try that.

Looking forward to more updates. Japan is place I never thought growing up I would be interested in going to, but I must say its piqued my interest of late. Asias actually the only continent I have yet to visit (besides antarctica of course) so I may have just given myself a good reason to go.

Curious, do your or the Mrs. speak Japanese flatfoot718 flatfoot718 ? You did say you would need to in order to RSVP to Yasuda.

and that fried whatever filled with whatever, my god I need to try that.

Looking forward to more updates. Japan is place I never thought growing up I would be interested in going to, but I must say its piqued my interest of late. Asias actually the only continent I have yet to visit (besides antarctica of course) so I may have just given myself a good reason to go.

She don't speak Japanese nor do I. but we had a friend that speaks Japanese made the rsvp for us.

That zaku zaku fried eclair is amazing...we had one free day and decided to use that day to revisit all our favorite places to eat. We had to go back there on our last day before we head back home...that's how good it was.

This trip was more eating than anything else lol...I will be updating this thread tomorrow with more photos and more food! Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom