OFFICIAL TRAVEL GUIDE: JAPAN

I go to Japan for work every year. Helps I used to be obsessed with the culture (still am) and enjoy the trips.
Def utilize the green line (Tokyo has 4 colored train lines that "loop" inner and outer Tokyo to include shinjuku)
You could spend all day walking, eating and taking in the culture. I wouldnt relegate to just Shin as its about a 10-15 train ride to akihabara if you're into video games or electronics or harajuko if you're into the fashion scene. It's essentially "10 min anywhere by train"
It's not like metro cards. You can prepay a lieca card or just buy your ticket and slide it in. It pops out the other end and you pay a difference if you got the wrong ticket.
Flying into Hadena airport is ideal as its closer and newer but you can take the NEX into shinjuku

Go go curry is def a spot you wanna hit up. Great lunch time to people watch. Co-Co's is another chain curry place.
Meji shrine in shin is an amazing walk through and is dedicated to the Meji rule when Japan started to open up to the west. Have thousands of pics I could share.
Great time to go. The dollar is about 1 to 118-120 yen.

Taking the train from shin to shibuya is 5 min and you can see the hachiko statue which is famous and cross the shibuya crossing which is the largest crosswalk in the world. About 10k people cross every light change. It's wild.

Last edited:
Get lost in the suicide forest
nthat.gif

I go to Japan for work every year. Helps I used to be obsessed with the culture (still am) and enjoy the trips.
Def utilize the green line (Tokyo has 4 colored train lines that "loop" inner and outer Tokyo to include shinjuku)
You could spend all day walking, eating and taking in the culture. I wouldnt relegate to just Shin as its about a 10-15 train ride to akihabara if you're into video games or electronics or harajuko if you're into the fashion scene. It's essentially "10 min anywhere by train"
It's not like metro cards. You can prepay a lieca card or just buy your ticket and slide it in. It pops out the other end and you pay a difference if you got the wrong ticket.
Flying into Hadena airport is ideal as its closer and newer but you can take the NEX into shinjuku

Go go curry is def a spot you wanna hit up. Great lunch time to people watch. Co-Co's is another chain curry place.
Meji shrine in shin is an amazing walk through and is dedicated to the Meji rule when Japan started to open up to the west. Have thousands of pics I could share.
Great time to go. The dollar is about 1 to 118-120 yen.

Taking the train from shin to shibuya is 5 min and you can see the hachiko statue which is famous and cross the shibuya crossing which is the largest crosswalk in the world. About 10k people cross every light change. It's wild.
Thanks for the info. we are actually staying in Shibuya so everything is walking distance. Def will check out the meji shrine and hanchiko statue!

Will share the famous Shibuya Crossing photo with everyone! lol

Get lost in the suicide forest
nthat.gif
I read alot about it and may possibly stop by Aokigahara since I will be at Mt. fuji. What was your experience?okigaharaAokigahara

Just kidding about that. I've been to Tokyo 6 times. I mostly stay in the Shinjuku/Ginza areas. So if you're curious what to do around there, let me know.

By the way, when I'm staying in Shinjuku, I always stay at the Kabuchiko area, which is the hostess bar/  area that the Yakuza video game series is based off of.

Just kidding about that. I've been to Tokyo 6 times. I mostly stay in the Shinjuku/Ginza areas. So if you're curious what to do around there, let me know.

By the way, when I'm staying in Shinjuku, I always stay at the Kabuchiko area, which is the hostess bar/  area that the Yakuza video game series is based off of.
Where u hit up in Shinjuku area? shopping, eats?

Planning to go there this or next year for a week or two. Any ideas on the approx budget for 2 weeks? minus hotel/airfare.

I'm from NY so I rarely go to Tokyo to by kicks though. For clothes you can check out United Arrows/ Beams/ Tomorrowland.

For eats, there are literally hundreds of good eats all around the Shinjuku area from sushi to ramen to curry. It's up to what your budget is , and what atmosphere you want.

I really can't go wrong with just walking around and picking one on the spot. The deptment stores also have good foodcourt/restaurants in them.

Since you're in the Shinjuku area, I highly recommend checking out Isetan Men. It's a huge dept store that's just men's stuff.

I'm from NY so I rarely go to Tokyo to by kicks though. For clothes you can check out United Arrows/ Beams/ Tomorrowland.

For eats, there are literally hundreds of good eats all around the Shinjuku area from sushi to ramen to curry. It's up to what your budget is , and what atmosphere you want.

I really can't go wrong with just walking around and picking one on the spot. The deptment stores also have good foodcourt/restaurants in them.

Since you're in the Shinjuku area, I highly recommend checking out Isetan Men. It's a huge dept store that's just men's stuff.
Thanks bro!

Also from NY but would love to check the sneaker scene and fashion world in Japan. ill def put isetan men on the list! Thanks again!

Planning to go there this or next year for a week or two. Any ideas on the approx budget for 2 weeks? minus hotel/airfare.
In Japan you get lunches from 1000 yen ($10 approx) to 20000 yen ($200) It's up to what kinda experience you want. For two weeks you can get by with $2k easy and have a great time. Assuming you're not shopping.

Thanks bro!

Also from NY but would love to check the sneaker scene and fashion world in Japan. ill def put isetan men on the list! Thanks again!
NP Isetan men is a 5 min walk from Shinjuku station. IF you want sneakers then try Harajuku area.

This is perfect timing. Im going to Tokyo during the last week of May, and can use all the information I can get up to that point.

This is perfect timing. Im going to Tokyo during the last week of May, and can use all the information I can get up to that point.
Once I return from my trip, I will def. update this thread with photos and my experience...but keep the suggestions and info coming!

Last edited:
So i have question. I'm flying into Henada and will be getting in around 10pm. My friend living there is about 30min outside Tokyo. Would it be better to grab a capsule hotel for the night or try to make it via night transportation options?

Last edited:
easiest options would be catching a cab ($80), train or limousine bus (around $20?). you can catch a train to the general area and taxi from there also. no need a hotel for the night. i love flying into haneda as opposed to narita. that's a longass busride into tokyo from narita.

The deptment stores also have good foodcourt/restaurants in them.

takashimaya department store in shinjuku has a good foodcourt, buy some snacks and go up to the rooftop garden.

I recommend renting a pocket wifi, make it easier to search for stuff on your phone.

takashimaya department store in shinjuku has a good foodcourt, buy some snacks and go up to the rooftop garden.

I recommend renting a pocket wifi, make it easier to search for stuff on your phone.
+1 on takashimaya

A pocket wifi is a must if you're visiting Tokyo for the first time. Google map will be your best friend.

Also keep in mind that Trains don't run at night and taxis are expensive.

And flying into Narita is a pain. Haneda is so much easier.

I have a pocket wifi from work that works international. Will def check out takashimaya! Thanks

inari shrine in kyoto is pretty cool, I was in kyoto for like half a day and spent way too much time waiting in line for this famous green tea place that wasnt worth it all.

nishiki market is really dope, basically a long *** walkway with food/shops on both sides. awesome place.

Let's talk budget #s, what are some recommended accomodations? I just found a $600 flight from Philly to Tokyo

Back
Top Bottom