OFFICIAL UA CURRY 1 : CHARGED BY BELIEF. PLAYOFFS RELEASE 5/22 /// MVP'S 6/13

I copied out a lil piece from an article.

Curry One

The Curry One, Under Armour’s first shoe named after a basketball player, was released in February. The product has helped the company’s basketball-shoe sales triple this year in the U.S., according to SportsOneSource. Nike, based in Beaverton, Oregon, didn’t have an immediate comment.
The Curry shoe sold out, thanks in part to limited supply, Schwartz said. Under Armour kept inventories low -- a strategy Nike has used for decades to drive demand -- and it worked, he said.

“They have to be very careful,” Powell said. “The immediate reaction will be to make a gajillion pairs of shoes and squeeze everything out of this. That’s not the way to grow a shoe business. You want them to sell out and for people to be hungry for the next one.”

Well played Under Armour, well played. But please just have one more restock in honor of these finals. lol

Thats the kind of stuff that will backfire on them eventually

Nike has 40 years of back catalogue to do that stuff

Yep, I don't blame em for making it limited to build some hype but it will backfire initially. Part of the reason people like UA is because of the low-er hype of their products at a good price point. Change those two things and they're gonna be the same story as Nike.

I don't blame them either but I sure as hell won't be buying any of their other products.

If I want to, which I really don't, jump through hoops to get a product then I'll just go back to nike

Last edited:
Its laughable at how many people are getting butthurt over UA making some of their stuff in lower quantities. It makes no business sense to make a million pairs for a NEW sig shoe on a NEW sig athlete, and risk having pairs sit. These production runs were made way before Curry made MVP or the Finals. Hype would be much less if those two things didn't happen. Go back to nike, go back to sketchers, go back to payless shoe source, WHO CARES?  UA makes a great product at a great price, with much better customer service than nike or adidas.

People jumping ship because they are salty on missing out one limited release, acting like babies. Every other release sat online at least the day of release, easy to get if you tried. 

Its laughable at how many people are getting butthurt over UA making some of their stuff in lower quantities. It makes no business sense to make a million pairs for a NEW sig shoe on a NEW sig athlete, and risk having pairs sit. These production runs were made way before Curry made MVP or the Finals. Hype would be much less if those two things didn't happen. Go back to nike, go back to sketchers, go back to payless shoe source, WHO CARES?  UA makes a great product at a great price, with much better customer service than nike or adidas.

People jumping ship because they are salty on missing out one limited release, acting like babies. Every other release sat online at least the day of release, easy to get if you tried. 

Chill

U sound butthurt

Panther lows look pretty good...

Gotta stay strong and wait for the "raiders" pair though

It's a brilliant marketing move. We saw the commercials and all the hype, but to this day I have not seen a pair of Currys on the wall at any store by me. I was intrigued by folks also saying they felt amazing.

Why would any company, with such a low profile like UA, sell their first real signature hoops shoe at an abundance as far as availability goes? Anyone who has business knowledge or expertise knows that sitting inventory is one of the largest costs that hurts companies. People might say "well if the shoe was a flop even with the low numbers, it'd still hurt UA." This is true, but if your inventory is half the size, the costs are going to be millions less of just having it sit.

People also need to realize many retailers haven't bought into UA yet. So UA had no real choice but to make the supply limited since the primary point of sales have been their own stores and their website. With a supply chain, if you don't have your product in transit, you lose boatloads of money, especially with lack of retailers buying up product.

You, the consumer, might say why not give the people what they want. Well you saw how some LeBrons in the early days sat and sat. Hell I got the Vet Day 8s for something like $110 shipped. That's because there were a ton of shoes available.

I'm not saying I'm happy, because yeah I want to easily get Currys, but it makes complete and total sense for UA to do what they did, when they did it.

It's a brilliant marketing move. We saw the commercials and all the hype, but to this day I have not seen a pair of Currys on the wall at any store by me. I was intrigued by folks also saying they felt amazing.

Why would any company, with such a low profile like UA, sell their first real signature hoops shoe at an abundance as far as availability goes? Anyone who has business knowledge or expertise knows that sitting inventory is one of the largest costs that hurts companies. People might say "well if the shoe was a flop even with the low numbers, it'd still hurt UA." This is true, but if your inventory is half the size, the costs are going to be millions less of just having it sit.

People also need to realize many retailers haven't bought into UA yet. So UA had no real choice but to make the supply limited since the primary point of sales have been their own stores and their website. With a supply chain, if you don't have your product in transit, you lose boatloads of money, especially with lack of retailers buying up product.

You, the consumer, might say why not give the people what they want. Well you saw how some LeBrons in the early days sat and sat. Hell I got the Vet Day 8s for something like $110 shipped. That's because there were a ton of shoes available.

I'm not saying I'm happy, because yeah I want to easily get Currys, but it makes complete and total sense for UA to do what they did, when they did it.

This is the reasonable way to say how UA is doing instead of calling almost everyone who didn't get them "butthurt" yeah we're mad because as consumers we feel like we have the right to having equal opportunity to buy as ridiculous as that sounds since we refuse to pay resell which is even more absurd. But as the consumer we can control this by boycotting the resell since these are only $120

Yea its almost as ridiculous as someone buying multiple pairs of the same shoe....

I somewhat agree HOWEVER the more your product is available in retail outlets the better for your brand recognition

Under armour is everywhere in department to sporting goods stores

We shall see how their future releases are handled

The curry 2 design is worse than the 1 in my opinion so that definately wont help. Add to the fact they are going to steadily raise prices. That will hurt as well.

Under armour has to be really careful and they shouldnt want to copy nike too much

Nike fanbase is hardcore whereas under armour sig shoes are fairly new and just building a fanbase

A low priced sig of a popular athlete not to mention an mvp will always sell

Its when they start to try and bend the consumer over with ridiculous prices and weird gimmicks that companies start to lose touch with their growing fanbase and end up rubbing them the wrong way

Right now ua is about performance at a fair price. Lets hope it stays that way

Also The first four colorways were easily available to me in my size a few months after release so not every colorway has sold out off the bat

Last edited:
I somewhat agree HOWEVER the more your product is available in retail outlets the better for your brand recognition

The curry 2 design is worse than the 1 in my opinion so that definately wont help. Add to the fact they are going to steadily raise prices. That will hurt as well.

Under armour has to be really careful and they shouldnt want to copy nike too much

Nike fanbase is hardcore whereas under armour sig shoes are fairly new and just building a fanbase

Its when they start to try and bend the consumer over with ridiculous prices and weird gimmicks that companies start to lose touch with their growing fanbase and end up rubbing them the wrong way

Also The first four colorways were easily available to me in my size a few months after release so not every colorway has sold out off the bat

Sorry this is absolutely correct, the same happened to me with Way of Wade the first model was fire, second got worse and now the 3rd is trash and I mess with the brand anymore

Yea its almost as ridiculous as someone buying multiple pairs of the same shoe....
I would agree, who does that? Silliness...

I should have been more specific in my original post. I meant to add "Under Armour Hoops" has not been embraced by retailers. The main performance line definitely has a grasp on the athletic sportswear demographic, but the basketball line is in its early infancy compared to other lines at UA.

I agree with what you say, you don't want there to be an absurd resell market either, such that nobody who wants to actually wear the shoes gets to. I think UA was smart and it doesn't hurt ONE BIT to have the athlete for who the shoe is designed for have one of the best seasons in NBA history and win MVP. It was like the perfect storm of product quality, price, availability (from their point of view, remember), and on court success to get to it being a successful first signature.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction to the 2s both online and in store. Also will be interested to see what stores around me get them, if any, because any that do will be a change from the 1s and the lack of availability around me.

Curry going to wear the yellow colorway for the finals. I sure hope UA release these before we move onto the lows and 2s....

Back
Top Bottom