Official White Privilege Thread

i like how this thread has shapeshifted away from white privilege to american privilege.

laugh.gif

please explain the origins of white privilege
how, why did it come about?

was there never black privilege when populations were different? who has privilege when white's are the minority within a ruling dark skinned class?
yea you don't understand world history at all

nice deflection though 

attempt an answer homeboy

i'll take a stab...

People tend to value things that they DEEM as rare. That's why dudes try so hard not to piss chicks off... b/c they feel getting yambs is rare.

White people, no matter how you slice it, are the GLOBAL minority....

So through winning wars, telling people that god looks like them, controlling the media...

They've been able to set being white as being valuable...

And since there are less white people than colored people... It further lends to people giving them a falser sense of value...

:nerd: :nerd:

hey, you answered my question directly - thanks

but not all dark skinned cultures were taught by whites as how to perceive their own gods...some cultures may have come upon that idea on their own :nerd:

hey, you answered my question directly - thanks

but not all dark skinned cultures were taught by whites as how to perceive their own gods...some cultures may have come upon that idea on their own
nerd.gif
like who? every black culture has heavy European influence from when Europeans were exploring the world and the slave trade 

I guess india would be one as far as darker skinned people but everywhere else darker skinned folks have a long history of being oppressed 

Originally Posted by Gry60

lol

let's just ignore that. As well as other things.
Just now seeing this but what does that have to do with white folk having white privilege? America is not inherent within me. I can up n move to canada n I'm now Canadian so your point is moot plus I don't agree with how america operates. Being "white" is inherent and that privilege is international [emoji]128527[/emoji]

Stop reachin...
It's actually a pretty good analogy.

Any American with a passport and a plane ticket can pretty much walk in many countries for a short period of time without ever having to go to a consulate to explain themselves. Many other nationalities do not enjoy that: they have to get visas and in order to obtain one, they have to present things such as invitation letters, hotel reservations, bank statements for the last 6 months. Kinda similar to how Black Americans had to prove they could read and write before they could vote while their White counterparts didn't, or how Blacks still have to prove they "belong" in a particular setting (store/nice neighborhood/nice car) in order to not raise suspicion while White folks generally don't.

The fact that you, as an American, can't see the favors your nationality gives you on the world stage is proof that you can be conscientiously ignorant of your privilege while exercising it.
Not any american. African Americans have to prove ourselves to practically EVERY race. Including Native Africans. As a whole, Americans are priveledged many ways. But there are some people who enjoy THE ENTIRETY of that priveledge an others don't. Not because they are lazy or don't work hard enough, but because their race.

so which is happening in this country?

you are able to do less being white or more?

are those privileges expanding once again to include outright legal murder?

do you see these privileges ever being equal across the board?

in the case that POC are given "privilege", up to the point of what white people have now

do you think that white people wouldnt still hold themselves in the highest esteem and privilege?

so which is happening in this country?

you are able to do less being white or more?

are those privileges expanding once again to include outright legal murder?

do you see these privileges ever being equal across the board?

in the case that POC are given "privilege", up to the point of what white people have now

do you think that white people wouldnt still hold themselves in the highest esteem and privilege?
Both are happening in the country, to say otherwise would be ignorant.  White privilege and American privilege 

You are able to do more with white, american privilege.  Outside of that there is no privilege you can do more with in this world than American privilege 

Both allow you to a lot of things close to if not equal to 'legal murder' in and outside of the US

Ever, maybe...within the next 100 years? No

This makes no sense, LEGALLY both are entitled to the same 'privileges' currently...are they held to the same esteem by society? NO...why would this change in 100 years?

nerd.gif
 I don't see your points...

like who? every black culture has heavy European influence from when Europeans were exploring the world and the slave trade 

I guess india would be one as far as darker skinned people but everywhere else darker skinned folks have a long history of being oppressed 

Last edited:
The fact that you, as an American, can't see the favors your nationality gives you on the world stage is proof that you can be conscientiously ignorant of your privilege while exercising it.
This is the exact point I was trying to make when i brought up american privilege....

Most white people don't even comprehend the existence of white privilege because its the norm to them

Last edited:
Meh mute point. That's like having a toilet and running water. 

You are unaware of that privilege  until you travel to some third world country 

Gonna take a swing at understanding the point being made here:

To illustrate how it's easy for whites to not acknowledge their own priveldge in this country, it can be compared to americans as a whole often forget the priveledges that we have compared to other parts of the world?

yes americans are privileged. everything is relative...and relative to minorities in America. white people are the most privileged. 

Something I came across which is apart of a longer piece

When you’re on the Internet, especially when you’re a straight white man on the Internet, you kind of feel like everybody’s dealing with the same stuff. Who cares if some dude’s being a jerk, right? You do you, focus on your work and just get through it. Except that assuming that everyone else is in your same position is not just ignoring that larger context, it’s refusing to deal with the privilege that you have. That is, after all, what privilege is — the assumption that everyone has a level playing field, and that we’re all reacting to similar circumstances. We’re not....

Shoot up an entire town, come out alive with a few bruises

Be black and steal some cigar blunts, j walk and get killed in a hail of gun fire

Shoot up an entire movie theater, come out alive with a goofy smile on your mugshot

Be black and play with a toy gun, get killed by the cops before you surrender eventhough you're just a sixth grader

Blow up a city marathon, kill several people, injure hundreds and have the entire country on terrorist watch....get a cover piece on Rolling Stone like you're a rock star

Be black at Wal-Mart buying toy guns for your kid and end up shot before you go to checkout
  • Black 12 year old on a playground with bb gun = open fire, murder
  • White mass shooter armed in movie theater = take alive, no police guns used
  • White mass shooter armed in standoff with police = use taser, take alive
  • Black unarmed teen in his neigborhood jwalking = open fire, 6 times, murder
mean.gif
 said it better than i could

I posted this on the subject of white privilege about 6 months back, but it seems like it bears repeating:

I don't like the term "White Privilege", I would say it's more like "Class Privilege".
Here's the thing though: do lower class white people have their own set of obstacles to overcome? Of course.  Do black people of similar status have those same exact obstacles AND a ton of others that the whites of similar status don't have to deal with as much (if at all)?  Absolutely.  

It would be disingenuous to say that poor whites have it just as hard as poor blacks.

I'm white, if that matters.

Michael Jackson, a very rich black man, was charged with child molestation in 2005.
He was given a $3 million bond and his passport was taken.

Bob Bates killed a man because some sheriff's office allowed him to play cop. He received no training and the gun used to kill Eric Harris was not an officially issued weapon.

He gets to bond out at $25,000 AND go to the Bahamas, meaning he has his passport to do so.

Two Americas indeed.

Back
Top Bottom