Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

NT should choose one of these older flicks and we all watch it
I am down for this, have a huge Google Hangout going 
laugh.gif

Vincent D'onofrio as detective Robert Goren in Law & Order: Criminal Intent was a joy to watch. He consistently was superb.

Star Wars is...like...:nerd:...I'm almost ready to turn this off. :lol:
He's joining the dark side CP.

I can't even remember the last tv ep or movie that gave me the feels

This last flick I caught the feels was this Japanese flick. So did my wife & our son. It's on Netflix now also... :wow:

I was no good when watching this montage... :frown: I remember looking over at my wife & saw she had tears rolling own her cheek & so did other people in the aisle...

Last edited:
Lone Survivor B. Lone Survivor. :smh:

This.

+ Her (wasn't a fan of the film, but made you think of the state of relationships in this day and age), Place Beyond the Pines (plot of the entire movie + the moving sounds of its score).

12 Years also, particularly one scene alone:

When Solomon returns home and is meeting his grandson for the first time. Those tears, so legit!

recently released? Lone Survivor, like yall said.

recently watched? Like Crazy.

Watched it last week during Valentine's weekend :lol:

This flick hit home hard for me, didn't just have feels flowing thru me: it had me reliving **** after the credits rolled |I :lol: :\ :smh:

Anybody else catch Like Crazy??

I was hesitant to watch since I'm not a big fan of Anton Yelchin, but glad I finally clicked play on Netflix.

The director absolutely knocked the ball outta the park with Like Crazy.

I've seen Like Crazy. My buddy was a co-producer. Good flick. Very realistic. Unfortunately, after the hype it got at Sundance, the theatrical release ended up being a disappointment. Glad people are catching it now.

The director has a couple other movies - Spooner and Douchebag (yes, Douchebag). Neither is nearly as good as Like Crazy, but probably worth a watch if you can find them.

I was no good when watching this montage...
frown.gif
I remember looking over at my wife & saw she had tears rolling own her cheek & so did other people in the aisle...
This reminds me of something I saw a few years ago, though you need to watch a few seconds of this awful thing...

...to understand this ruthless parody:

O, did your dumbass really start with Episode I?

And your invitation back has been renounced. :smh:

Nah...I started with A New Hope. :lol: ...It was so...eerie watching that movie. I've never seen something before where scene for scene for scene is, I guess iconic? Every single moment in the movie a moment that I remember from a parody or a nerdy reference or some t-shirt. It doesn't even feel like a movie anymore, it feels like a movie trivia game called 'recognize this?' I half watched this on TBS when I was in middle school and other than trying to give it a shot after Phantom Menace, that's just about been it.

But every scene feels so familiar, even though I know I don't remember it from ever watching the movie. I think....for me...pop culture has ruined this film. Maybe this is a film you HAVE to see first. You've got to see it early and young and have it stick, because it's so ingrained in every part of movie fandom and americana, that if you wait and let every moment trickle in through pop culture, it will just take absolutely everything away from being able to enjoy it like you could an Indiana Jones or Goonies.or Gremlins or a Back to the Future.

I mean...I understand moments being popular. Even Deep Blue Sea has a moment that broke through. This ain't that. Every single scene in this movie is one of those. Every piece of dialogue has been a punchline or a reference somewhere else. Maybe it's a testament to just how larger than life and vital every piece of this movie was....what? 40 years ago? But I think it leans somewhere else, when something like that can remove the mysticism of a movie. That suspension of disbelief. And it just...

A New Hope is kinda boring and shallow to me. There are moments that hit...basically ever Darth Vader scene. And Obi Wan's brings some gravitas, but the age and simplicity of the film and characters shows. Now this might be a chicken and egg thing. You can almost feel the template and the DNA for every action adventure movie that came after it, being set. But because I've been exposed to all of the films the bit off Star Wars and got more ambitious or nuanced with their characters and storylines...

And then there's the uglier side of that where, you can feel it as the film goes on and on...this...THIS is the movie that killed film. Every single moment is a part of the party and ready for the trailer or a screenprint for the lunchbox. And that's the way these movies are now. Every moment of the film tries to be a moment, and it hits don't get me wrong. This funky, throwback, low budget swaggering mood hits those quirky opera moments. It's just inspired some of the worst filmmaking and writing instincts I think. I feel like all the giant spiders and Johnny Depp spazzing out were born here.

But it is a good film for what it is. Seeing a Harrison Ford with pulse, and a Mark Hamill with a face, and a Carrie Fisher without a sponsor are a nice change. And just witnessing the magic in the creation of R2-D2, C3PO and Darth Vader are really special. Those 3, I'll admit, are forever. They lived up to the hype. I just wouldn't say the same for the rest of it. And the music was good, it's just...you hear it a million times...what's a million and 1?

7.5/10

Just kinda feels like...instead of famously awesome, this movie is famously famous. It's not a movie anymore. It's a museum at a theme park. It's a tumblr of a movie.

And I know what you're gonna say, but uh...I watched the b-stard version. My god. How do you **** on your own movie this badly? It's like if they spliced Finding Nemo into Jaws. Greedo shot first. Random little inserted 5 second scene changes would looked like PS2 cinematics. :x

Last edited:
I don't know how'd I would enjoy watching Star Wars for the first time at my current age.

Even as a kid watching it, I was already spoiled with the special effects from Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, etc. so I didn't get to appreciate how mind-blowingly awesome Stars Wars must have been in 1977.

But watching it now? I'd probably feel very similar to MrO's response.

no older than '30 (nothing silent)

btw, I watched Rope again last week  (great suggestion) 
:pimp:

I ******* loved Rope. I haven't watched in such a long time, I'm due.

What other movies manage to have the entire film set in one room? It's quite difficult and amazing (I know that Reynolds buried flick almost did it).

Nah...I started with A New Hope. :lol: ...It was so...eerie watching that movie. I've never seen something before where scene for scene for scene is, I guess iconic? Every single moment in the movie a moment that I remember from a parody or a nerdy reference or some t-shirt. It doesn't even feel like a movie anymore, it feels like a movie trivia game called 'recognize this?' I half watched this on TBS when I was in middle school and other than trying to give it a shot after Phantom Menace, that's just about been it.
I remember getting this when I went on my Twilight Zone marathon and watched every ep. So many shows and movies have aped concepts and direct story lines, it was crazy.

O, get to Empire quick, and feel the mood change. Do it.

I know you know all the story and such, just get Empire asap, watch the change......

I don't know how'd I would enjoy watching Star Wars for the first time at my current age.

Even as a kid watching it, I was already spoiled with the special effects from Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, etc. so I didn't get to appreciate how mind-blowingly awesome Stars Wars must have been in 1977.

But watching it now? I'd probably feel very similar to MrO's response.
Yeah, there are just some things you just have to capture and experience during the time.

The same thing goes for directing styles and story telling that make huge impacts or revolutionize the medium. Cuz then landscape becomes everything after THAT, so when you watch stuff it'll always have elements of that thing. Then when you get around to watching that big thing that was held in such high regard the impression of it just aint the same.

Only exceptions are things that end up in the timeless category.

O, one last question.

What version of the film did you watch.

Or more importantly, just say which DVD/Blu-ray format it was. Basically with each and every home-video release, they have tinkered with the film.

What other movies manage to have the entire film set in one room? It's quite difficult and amazing (I know that Reynolds buried flick almost did it).

Those are called Chamber-Piece films and the last one that I know of was most recently made is The Man From Earth (2007). I liked it. one of those psychological films but also helps that if you believe in conspiracys and what not. its a thinker

You guys are talking about Star Wars? I'll come back later since I've only seen the first one and the Family Guy spoofs. Those paraodies are accurate and as enthralling as the films, right?

Lulz.

With the WWE Network launching on Monday I hope we see more studios opening up their vaults. I know Fox talked about a Simpsons network in the past. Idk if that would work on its own, tho.

Man, I would love for the NBA and MLB to give an OnDemand option. Would watch Pedro and Griffey, Jordan and the Glove, all the stars I grew up on and preceded me, etc.

I'm getting a little bored with my NFLX somehow. You guys have anything worth watching in mind? I restarted Prison Break the other day. Will prob restart 24 as well. Not really tryna watch Spacey in House of Cards or Breaking Bad either...

O, get to Empire quick, and feel the mood change. Do it.

I know you know all the story and such, just get Empire asap, watch the change......

Will do...once I finish 12 Years a Slave first. :nerd:

O, one last question.

What version of the film did you watch.

Or more importantly, just say which DVD/Blu-ray format it was. Basically with each and every home-video release, they have tinkered with the film.

The DVD trilogy with that silver Darth mask on it.

You guys are talking about Star Wars? I'll come back later since I've only seen the first one and the Family Guy spoofs. Those paraodies are accurate and as enthralling as the films, right?

For at least the first one, I'd say the Family Guy spoof was just as good, if not better.

I'm getting a little bored with my NFLX somehow. You guys have anything worth watching in mind? I restarted Prison Break the other day. Will prob restart 24 as well. Not really tryna watch Spacey in House of Cards or Breaking Bad either...

Watch Orphan Black.

It's only 10 episodes so far, pretty trippy, really clever, steady climbs in awesomeness, doesn't waste any time or 'slow burn,' doesn't take itself too seriously, and Tatiana Maslany is everything. Give it 1 episode, it's crack. She's crack. Do crack. Watch Orphan Black. :lol:

With the WWE Network launching on Monday I hope we see more studios opening up their vaults. I know Fox talked about a Simpsons network in the past. Idk if that would work on its own, tho.

Agreed on a potential Simpsons network. Simpsons (or any cartoon with longevity) wouldn't work because what else would they have to offer other than reruns of episodes?

Back
Top Bottom