Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

It was his love child when he initially made it but after that he said **** it and lets make billions. Same with Indy.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure he was already a billionaire before he even started #%^*ing with the originals and made the second trilogy. So, I don't think it was just about $. I think he honestly believed he was improving the product, but just completely lost touch somewhere along the way.

It was his love child when he initially made it but after that he said **** it and lets make billions. Same with Indy.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure he was already a billionaire before he even started #%^*ing with the originals and made the second trilogy. So, I don't think it was just about $. I think he honestly believed he was improving the product, but just completely lost touch somewhere along the way.
It's possible he was creatively bankrupt and was trying to prove something to himself. IMO if that was the case he should've tried to create something new as a movie in the sci-fi adventure genre that only had a slight connection to SW if he felt the need to include it.

Yes he was crazy rich before the prequels but I don't think he was a billionaire. He was also very geeked that the technology improved so that now he can really present SW the way he always wanted it to look.

I don't know how'd I would enjoy watching Star Wars for the first time at my current age.

Even as a kid watching it, I was already spoiled with the special effects from Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, etc. so I didn't get to appreciate how mind-blowingly awesome Stars Wars must have been in 1977.

But watching it now? I'd probably feel very similar to MrO's response.

I feel you...

But Star Wars has always been like life to me. None of my friends ever understood, but its been my favorite thing on earth since I was a kid. Up until about a month ago, I've had the same Star Wars art on my wall since I was 11. Idk, A New Hope was a really good movie to me. I can sit down and watch it any day and it just means alot to me as a film, the entire Original 3 flicks do in fact

damn brah, you should double check your sources 
nerd.gif

I'm just giving you a hard time 
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Well it was fun while it lasted. LeBron sources refute Deadline report, there's no Space Jam 2 or Warner Bros. project in works
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) February 22, 2014

Last edited:
But yeah, as far as last year's movies go...still haven't seen 12 Years, Dallas Buyers, Short Term 12, Her, Llewyn, Nebraska...Blue Jasmine, All is Lost, Blue.
laugh.gif

So besides any of those squeezin in...

1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. Before Midnight
3. Fruitvale Station
4. Gravity -- I'll admit, the writing is weak, but still.
5. The Act of Killing
6. Upstream Color

7. Prisoners
8. Don Jon
9. Captain Phillips
10. Room 237

Hm. American Hustle, Place Beyond The Pines and Drinking Buddies
Props to these two choices. Act of Killing would probably make my top five, while Upstream would be my #1, a lot of moments from that movie gave me those same senses of the mysterious and uncanny that I got from when I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time. I can't wait to see what Shane Carruth does next.

Just started arrow..not bad. Corny and all around meh acting but holds my interest. Plus the females on the show are nice and thats 60% of how to keep my interests these days.

Btw just finished Bates Motel...solid.

Californiacation was amazing...up until the last couple seasons. Reminds me of Entourage.

Goldbergs is funny as hell. One of the funniest episodes ive ever seen was earlier this year during that karate episode. Endless tears

Last edited:
:rolleyes I can watch the original trilogy of Star War just fine. I think in this age of blogs, message boards, social media, & reality TV younger generations have difficulty watching something for the sake of it. People wanted to over think things, provide some commentary, tweet or blog an opinion about something, waiting for immediate pay off or instant/constant gratification. Just let go & watch something. Enjoy it for what it is. We've become an extremely jaded society. :D

Edit - The Empire Strikes Back is by far the best movie among all the Star Wars movies. One of the greatest cliff hangers of all time (in movie history).

Last edited:
That karate episode was gold :lol:

Californication used to be so dope. They dropped the ball not filming a season in NY. Having Hank come back and Karen with another dude and Becca in college, they jumped the shark and I stopped watching.

Just finished watching The Lego Movie with my niece. The internet hyped the living hell out of it, so I was ready for it to just be good, but damnit I was drinking the koolaid in 10 minutes. So damn creative and inventive, without ever being precious or up it's own *** about it. I'm not sure if it's a spoiler, but I never expected it to be like The Matrix and Fellowship of the Ring. And there's some twists I just loved. Great movie.

And uh...because of a part of the film, my niece wanted to watch Star Wars, so I'm bout to sit down and watch this again through her eyes? Maybe it'll be...better? :nerd: :lol:

edit1: She was locked in until it got to Uncle Owen's farm. Now this movie might as well be wallpaper. If it wasn't for "chill, a princess is coming" she'd be out. >D

edit2: Annnnnd she's out. :nerd: ...if it's any consolation, she recognized Darth Vader, R2 and C3PO. *shrug* :lol:

edit3: the princess and blowing up Alderaan brought her back for now

Last edited:
:lol: Aint no child in this day and age is sitting through the SW trilogy and if they do it's the type of kids that'll grow up to be weird and kind of eccentric. the types by the age of 12 are thoroughly enjoying Woody Allen movies.

Last edited:
Only you could be genius enough to live diary Star Wars for us thru a little girls' eyes. :lol: :lol:

Get her thoughts on Chewie and the Death Star. :lol:

12 Years a Slave was a damn good movie. Nice to see Solomon get some shine. Always liked him since Four Brothers

watching O'Brother Where Art Thou on Encore. That movie is something else.

Also, for those of you who appreciate 80s cheese and haven't seen it, I recommend the Police Academy movies, at least 1-3. Steve Guttenberg was actually cool, Bubba Smith is awesome as is the "human sound machine" Michael Winslow and pre-Sex-In-the-City Kim Cattral is really pretty cute.

12 Years a Slave was a damn good movie. Nice to see Solomon get some shine. Always liked him since Four Brothers

I watched it last night, and it was so much more than what I expected. I mean, I gotta see it again wrap my head around all the things it was doing.

Only you could be genius enough to live diary Star Wars for us thru a little girls' eyes. :lol: :lol:

Get her thoughts on Chewie and the Death Star. :lol:

She liked it. Like...I guess I got a better appreciation for it when you don't have a mountain of pop culture history ahead of it. And she was off it, until the Death Star blew that planet up. Chewie was straight for her. I just think the real judge of liking something for kids is if they'd wanna watch it again...and again and again and again. :lol:

Yeah....no, she's good on ever seeing that again. I think A New Hope is just....a little too slow, methodical, weird, lo-fi, unfunny and self-serious for kids today?

At least, without just constantly trying to answer questions and convince them that it's awesome. And its need to blast music any time the littlest actions is happening just...kinda didn't mesh with the type of modern cinematic language kids understand today? It was weird and hoppy, so that's a hook that'll always work. And something weird actually happened. I started to understood all of the bs cgi changes. Most of the more "time to tune out" moments have been...updated. It actually does feel like someone watched the movies with a kid in a post-Pixar world to see what they objected to, what turned them off, when they got bored, what looked too stupid or plain for them, and got to work trying to fix that. It's desperate. The changes are desperate hopes of having a 40 year old kids movie keep up with all the new ones.

Tbh...I bet she'd like Phantom Menace better. :x

Ender's Game was so disappointing.

Going into the movie I knew there were time constraints, but still.

Right away, I just want to apologize for what might end up being a lengthy post.

Long time lurker. I've seen a lot of great movies thanks the stuff some of you post. I love movies but I'm not necessarily as connected as some of you to movies that might not get a lot of "shine", so the thread sheds light on some really great movies that I might have missed otherwise.

I'm really just looking for more suggestions :lol: I've got a folder on my computer of some of my favorite movies and some more recent movies that were really great. It can also sort of give you an idea the type of movies I like.

I'm open to any genre, director, year, etc. But I'd really appreciate some newer movies though (within the last ten years). I saw Mud, Rush, and The Master last week, all were really good.

Just a couple side notes: I've seen every Tarantino film, every Kubrick after Dr. Strangelove, nearly every Scorsece, and most of Spike's catalog.

No capes this time...

Amy Adam's recent appearance on Inside The Actor's Studio talking about Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Last edited:
Watch some Fellini. 8 1/2 for starters.

Gerry is a Gus Van Sant flick with Casey Affleck and Matt Damon. It's early in their careers. Gus's early stuff is cool but maybe slow. Last Days, Elephant, Finding Forrester is more mainstream.

Humphrey Bogart was in some great films if you don't mind black and white. The Big Sleep is one of my favorites. The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Casablanca obviously.

Double Indemnity (original) is a classic film noir.

The Children's Hour is a good film. Dramatic and in black and white. I'm a big Audrey Hepburn fan and she's great in this as usual. Charade, Wait Until Dark, Roman Holiday are great films she's in. Fun fact Truman Capote wanted Marilyn Monroe to be Holly Golightly.

Burn After Reading is quirky and cool. Coen Bros do a nice job. Frances McDormand plays a pretty good character. Brad Pitt is weird in a good way and Clooney is out of touch with reality. Good character driven film.

Last edited:
I'm open to any genre, director, year, etc. But I'd really appreciate some newer movies though (within the last ten years). I saw Mud, Rush, and The Master last week, all were really good.

Django, Heat, The Prestige and True Romance all on the same list make you a good person. :lol:

I'd recommend Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), Kill List (2011), Hobo With a Shotgun (2011), The Act of Killing (2013), Exterminating Angel (1962?), Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2006).

None of these are like one another much at all. There's horror, grindhouse, comedy, surrealism, documentary, docuplay, film noir. But for one reason or another I loved or really respected all of them.

Last edited:
Watch some Fellini. 8 1/2 for starters.

Gerry is a Gus Van Sant flick with Casey Affleck and Matt Damon. It's early in their careers. Gus's early stuff is cool but maybe slow. Last Days, Elephant, Finding Forrester is more mainstream.

Humphrey Bogart was in some great films if you don't mind black and white. The Big Sleep is one of my favorites. The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Casablanca obviously.

Double Indemnity (original) is a classic film noir.

The Children's Hour is a good film. Dramatic and in black and white. I'm a big Audrey Hepburn fan and she's great in this as usual. Charade, Wait Until Dark, Roman Holiday are great films she's in. Fun fact Truman Capote wanted Marilyn Monroe to be Holly Golightly.

Burn After Reading is quirky and cool. Coen Bros do a nice job. Frances McDormand plays a pretty good character. Brad Pitt is weird in a good way and Clooney is out of touch with reality. Good character driven film.

I'm gonna check out Double Indemnity and the Hepburn flicks (never seen any).

I've tried watching Gerry. That movie was entirely too slow for me, I couldn't even finish it. I did enjoy Finding Forrester and Elephant though.

Burn After Reading was great as well. I've seen a majority of the Coen's films(at least the ones they've directed together), O Brother and True Grit being my favorites.

Django, Heat, The Prestige and True Romance all on the same list make you a good person. :lol:

I'd recommend Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), Kill List (2011), Hobo With a Shotgun (2011), The Act of Killing (2013), Exterminating Angel (1962?), Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2006).

None of these are like one another much at all. There's horror, grindhouse, comedy, surrealism, documentary, docuplay, film noir. But for one reason or another I loved or really respected all of them.

8) :lol:

I saw Beasts in theaters when it came out (my girlfriend works for a local AMC so I've seen a good portion of the movies from past year for free. :nthat:)

I'll check out the rest. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Act of Killing are the only ones I've heard of.

Thanks guys :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom