Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Good point by JA, depending on the version you watched, you may have seen some of the lame altered crap that Lucas ruined the film(s) with. I can't go by the cover of the DVD, but if I remember right, sounds like you saw the altered version. (more lame lookin explosions, extra unneeded background characters movin around, etc)

That's fine, finish 12 Years/Slave, but it's a must you find the unaltered Empire Strikes Back. The OG, un George'd, Empire. Then come in here, and your whole tone will have changed. Regardless of Family Guy or Robot Chicken.

JRS.........do I even want to know why you haven't seen anything past A New Hope, including Empire? :smh:

I didn't watch a popcorn, 80's action flick in Robocop, you all didn't watch the damn trilogy that shaped American cinema. :stoneface:

It's not too late to just lock this thread and delete everything. :smh:

:lol:

Orphan Black is 
pimp.gif
  That wait for season 2 though 
tired.gif

Helena>

I'll check out Orphan Black. Thanks b.

I honestly don't know, CP. I just never got into the Star Wars hype. None of my friends or the kids in my grammar school growing up were into them that much either. I do want to check the trilogies out since there's a lot of allegory and what not going on in the films.

To be honest, if someone isn't "getting" Star Wars, it likely won't matter what edition they watch.

There's a good chance they wouldn't even notice or care about the alterations.

I finally did my top 10 of last year and in order. Not that any of you care but here it is. Mud and The Place Beyond the Pines aren't on my list because I saw them both in the fall of 2012. I've seen every movie that I plan on seeing in 2013 except for 12 Years a Slave.

1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. Dallas Buyers Club
3. Disconnect
4. Fruitvale Station
5. Rush
6. Prisoners
7. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
8. Oldboy
9. The Great Gatsby
10. Trance

To be honest, if someone isn't "getting" Star Wars, it likely won't matter what edition they watch.

For most, I hear what you're sayin.

But O, you know he picks up nuances and clutter better than most.

Agree. Like, a newcomer to the series isn't going to care whether Han or Greedo shoots first in the Mos Eisley scene.

But watching Star Wars for the first time now, it would be impossible not to view it through the prism of everything pop culture (and George Lucas) has done to it since it first came out.

I feel lucky that I got to see all of them before all the rip offs, parodies, references, etc.

I finally did my top 10 of last year and in order. Not that any of you care but here it is. Mud and The Place Beyond the Pines aren't on my list because I saw them both in the fall of 2012. I've seen every movie that I plan on seeing in 2013 except for 12 Years a Slave.

1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. Dallas Buyers Club
3. Disconnect
4. Fruitvale Station
5. Rush
6. Prisoners
7. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
8. Oldboy
9. The Great Gatsby
10. Trance
Going to check those two out later on today. I been meaning to watch Fruitvale Station for a while and Trance was a great movie

[thread="287925"]Basically it won't matter if I watch stars wars on blu ray rather than some special edition dvd release that hardcore SW fans swear you must much?[/thread]
[thread="287925"]Still have yet to watch SW, but I feel as if I've already had everything worth watching spoiled for me.[/thread]

If I remember right, the Blu Rays are the altered versions, so it depends.

For someone like me, who knows every detail, the altered versions are a slap in the face and a complete distraction from what the movies really are.

If you've never seen the movie, you wouldn't know what was real, and what was added later, so it may not affect you much.

I see every tweak, and it just pisses me off every single time. :smh:

I....actually kinda noticed all of them. I mean, it's so blatant when you go from a no budget, practical effects 70s movie, to 2003 clunky cgi. Like I said, it looked like someone spliced Finding Nemo into Jaws. And that Greedo thing is so infamous...and with good reason. What they turned it into looks so outright stupid. But none of that really changed my feel for it. It was only a little here and there, and most of feelings on the movie were settling in, before it started popping up.

I guess I get how it'd mean a lot to yall, cuz it's like someone went in and photoshopped your family picture album. I'm just kinda used to the ******* after seeing the tragedies of 'upgraded' E.T. and Indiana Jones trilogy. :x

But yeah, as far as last year's movies go...still haven't seen 12 Years, Dallas Buyers, Short Term 12, Her, Llewyn, Nebraska...Blue Jasmine, All is Lost, Blue. :lol:

So besides any of those squeezin in...

1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. Before Midnight
3. Fruitvale Station
4. Gravity -- I'll admit, the writing is weak, but still.
5. The Act of Killing
6. Upstream Color
7. Prisoners
8. Don Jon
9. Captain Phillips
10. Room 237

Hm. American Hustle, Place Beyond The Pines and Drinking Buddies

Last edited:
Way back in 1999, Edward Norton had big plans following David Fincher's "Fight Club"—he was going write, direct and star in an adaptation of Jonathan Lethem's acclaimed novel "Motherless Brooklyn." Obviously, that didn't quite happen. Instead, the project become Norton's great white whale, with not much in the way of news since except promises that he was working on it (as of 2010 he stated he was only halfway finished writing the script). But now, it's actually getting ready to shoot. And it's all thanks to Brett Ratner.

That's right, the "Rush Hour" filmmaker is throwing his producing power behind "Motherless Brooklyn" with a fall 2014 shoot in the cards. As for the story, it centers on a Brooklyn detective in 1999 who has Tourette's syndrome and displays its symptoms of involuntary tics. Here's the Amazon synopsis:

Lionel Essrog is Brooklyn's very own self-appointed Human Freakshow, an orphan whose Tourettic impulses drive him to bark, count, and rip apart our language in startling and original ways. Together with three veterans of the St. Vincent's Home for Boys, he works for small-time mobster Frank Minna's limo service cum detective agency. Life without Frank Minna, the charismatic King of Brooklyn, would be unimaginable, so who cares if the tasks he sets them are, well, not exactly legal. But when Frank is fatally stabbed, one of Lionel's colleagues lands in jail, the other two vie for his position, and the victim's widow skips town. Lionel's world is suddenly topsy-turvy, and this outcast who has trouble even conversing attempts to untangle the threads of the case while trying to keep the words straight in his head.

It's always been promising material, and we've been eager to see Norton take it on and we're glad to finally see it happen. It will be his second time behind the camera, following 2000's "Keeping The Faith." So hey, any time you want to complain about Brett Ratner, just remember, he's helping to make this happen.

- Ed Norton's Motherless Brooklyn

Synopsis of the book seems interesting, might be one the next books I read.

Last edited:
If I remember right, the Blu Rays are the altered versions, so it depends.

For someone like me, who knows every detail, the altered versions are a slap in the face and a complete distraction from what the movies really are.

If you've never seen the movie, you wouldn't know what was real, and what was added later, so it may not affect you much.

I see every tweak, and it just pisses me off every single time.
mean.gif
Blu-Rays are the special editions. Don't get me started on Lucas but I will say something, back in the 70's a big head in Hollywood announced that he was going to buy old silent black & white classic movies and "resurrect" them by adding in the color is was meant to be. So many people openly rejected it including Lucas claiming "they're classics the way it is was made and are meant to be" That's like Leonardo Da Vinci coming back from the dead and telling the world "Actually I didn't finish Mona Lisa she was supposed to have bangs and have a smile with her teeth showing" ruining a masterpiece I tell you!! Who would've known George would do the same thing decades later with Star Wars.
mad.gif

#Hanshotfirst

I....actually kinda noticed all of them. I mean, it's so blatant when you go from a no budget, practical effects 70s movie, to 2003 clunky cgi. Like I said, it looked like someone spliced Finding Nemo into Jaws. And that Greedo thing is so infamous...and with good reason. What they turned it into looks so outright stupid. But none of that really changed my feel for it. It was only a little here and there, and most of feelings on the movie were settling in, before it started popping up.

I guess I get how it'd mean a lot to yall, cuz it's like someone went in and photoshopped your family picture album. I'm just kinda used to the ******* after seeing the tragedies of 'upgraded' E.T. and Indiana Jones trilogy. :x

But yeah, as far as last year's movies go...still haven't seen 12 Years, Dallas Buyers, Short Term 12, Her, Llewyn, Nebraska...Blue Jasmine, All is Lost, Blue. :lol:

So besides any of those squeezin in...

1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. Before Midnight
3. Fruitvale Station
4. Gravity -- I'll admit, the writing is weak, but still.
5. The Act of Killing
6. Upstream Color
7. Prisoners
8. Don Jon
9. Captain Phillips
10. Room 237

Hm. American Hustle, Place Beyond The Pines and Drinking Buddies

Wanted to touch on what you said the other day on American Hustle. I thought the performances were better than the movie, if you feel me. Bale, Adams, and Lawrence were in the zone, just incredible, and Cooper and Renner were decent, but not their best. But still, solid enough. But the movie didn't match their performances.
Wolf, was great, performance, and film wise. It was just fun, opening scene, to closing scene. Greatness.

Lookin forward to what you think on Her, and Dallas Buyers.

Prisoners bruh. All the feels.

Fruitvale is #1 on my list. I list my movies on the impact and how long the movie lingers in my mind...and I still think about MBJ perfomance to this day.

Speaking of Lucas and all that, I'll assume the Star Wars fans have seen The People vs. George Lucas

It's on Netflix

Last edited:
It's really interesting, because we basically all love what he OG did, and now we all hate him for what he did thereafter. :lol:

But really, I can't think of another director that created a world out of thin air like he did. INFINITE stories, lore, details, etc all created off a single trilogy. Spans thousands of years worth of content.

And he ******* sold it all out to make money off toys. :stoneface:

seen the doc, it had its funny moments, like when episode 1 came out in true Simpsons Comic book guy fashion one comic book store owner or worker idk said he saw it 14 times in the theater in disgust everytime about how Lucas destroyed the franchise

EDIT: the comic guy who saw it 14 times was the black dude in the preview at 1:06

frame for reference

also a while back I came across an article that if you wanted to see Star Wars for the first time ever you will watch it in the Machete order; 4,5,2,3,6 leaving out Episode 1 completely because it can and should be missed.

STAR WARS SPOILER:

reason being the story of Luke in 4 and at the end 5 Vader is his father. 2 and 3 stand as a huge flashback to give us the father's life story then bring us back to the climax of 6.

Last edited:
What other movies manage to have the entire film set in one room? It's quite difficult and amazing (I know that Reynolds buried flick almost did it).

Those are called Chamber-Piece films and the last one that I know of was most recently made is The Man From Earth (2007). I liked it. one of those psychological films but also helps that if you believe in conspiracys and what not. its a thinker
I knew it had a name, I just forgotten it and yeah I saw The Man From Earth, that wasn't as apparent to me when I asked that question. Whole damn film is in the cabin until the end when they drive away :lol:

George Lucas clearly insn't familiar with the concept of leaving well enough alone.

George Lucas clearly insn't familiar with the concept of leaving well enough alone.

I'm just glad he sold the vault. I honestly, truly thought I was going to die without ever seeing that vault opened up on screen.

I hate him, but I love him for finally selling the property to someone to do as they wish.

Back
Top Bottom