Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

^Seriously, I can't think of the last new show that was as funny as Nathan For You.
You're ******g up if you don't give that show a shot.
I find Kristen Stewart really attractive in Adventureland
You should check out On The Road, then. For her at least. :lol:

SNG was one of my favorites from last year. :pimp:
After Silver Linings and Beasts, that was my favorite indie. :smokin

Last edited:
From my understanding, Pines will be a wide-release few weeks into April. I'm in New York, so I went with a few friends to the AMC Lincoln Square theater to catch the 11:45 showing. (FWIW, if you are ever in the city, this is the theater to go to. Comfortable, spacey, and I was in awe of the size).

I'll try and be as formal as I can, as I'm not the best reviewer there is :lol: . I'll refrain from spoilers because they'll take away from the whole story. I will say though, which is kind of a spoiler, but knowledge to most of us hyped up for this release:
Don't expect Gosling to be in the entire movie. The studio knew what they were doing by having the t.v. spots featuring mostly him though.

Cianfrance (director) made a classic movie here. He did an excellent job telling three acts of a story, which is something I feel isn't seen often in films of today (or at least as well done). Based off of his last notable film (Blue Valentine), it's clear the man is capable of making films that everyone can find a part to relate to; hit-you-in-the-heart type stuff. I read some articles prior to seeing it last night, cool little facts like how Cianfrance forced Gosling to keep the face tattoo he himself desired at first (avoiding re-shoots, saying it was his consequence that he had to deal with the rest of the movie), and how he supposedly drove five hours to meet with Cooper because he wanted him in the film). What I'm getting at is, the man has gone length for his two notable films that bring the best of his actors/actresses to fill their duties as his characters on screen. Because, okay, IMO, Gosling is the on-screen darling of Hollywood (as is Cooper), but I can honestly say I think he is overrated as an actor. His last few roles, I just got tired of the soft-spoken shtick (but maybe that's because that's just his voice). [However, he was awesome in Pines. Couldn't be happier with his performance. Frankly, I think it's because Mendes was on screen with him, and they have the off-set connection, and the other reason is from Cianfrance's directing.

Cooper was awesome as he has been in his last few roles. I saw a lot of SLP-Cooper in Pines, as far as certain reactions and facial expressions go. Mendes was good, and you really felt sad for her character and what she had to go through from her son's birth to his teen years. And speaking of teen years, both Gosling and Cooper's sons were really standout. Without spoiling it (I can't see this clarifying as a spoiler), Cooper's son is a douchebag (makes you HATE the character, but recognize the job well done by the actor), and Gosling's son is a carbon-copy of DiCaprio from Basketball Diaries (wonder if there was a homage there). Either case, he was excellent as a troubled teen not knowing the truths of his childhood, and life as a whole. Look for those two to get recognition and role offers after more people see the film. (Trivia: Try and understand how when you see Gosling's son aged, that that is a 27 year old man :wow: :lol: ).

Overall, I can't complain about the film. I loved it. Some scenes left you with the "wow" factor that everyone us can relate to somehow. And the cinematography work was truly one of the tops I've ever seen (at least from the first hour and change). Pretty sure the cinematographer was from Shame, and that movie was amazing in its own right.

Let me say this: if you're in NYC, I'm pretty sure it's at the theater I saw it in and one other, and that's it currently. If you're able to catch a showing while it's still a limited release, it's worth it. If not, you'll def. want to see it once it's out in theaters everywhere.

Grade: A

Last edited:
I saw Tree of Life at Lincoln Square, that ruined my experience there. :lol:

But I also saw Blue Valentine there, so maybe I'll make the ride out there for this one. Hour and half drive though.. :smh:

enjoyed your review though, thanks.

Yeah I'm doing literally NOTHING but watching this the rest of the day. You're really going to pick up steam soon too :pimp:

Dude I really ******g hate Jack Bauer's wife. Sooooooooo annoying

im seriously out of movies to watch..
tired.gif

i think i will rewatch some movies like looper,inception,the departed etc..

can some of yall list some movies that i should watch? preferably stuff from 2000 and later thanks.

please no expendables gi joe or ish like that i want to watch something fairly intelligent oh an nothing with the rock or jason strathan or w/e his name is. 
laugh.gif

I mean, when you tell people that you're out of movies to watch, I think most would assume that you've seen all of the popular movies, so you're going to get suggestions of random movie titles. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom