Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Ya'll can have the Raimi Spidey flicks & ever single last X-Men/Wolverine flick. I'm not even a big Zack Snyder fan but I'll take MOS any day over those movies.

Came in here to see if anyone was talking about Silicon Valley.

Twas a very strong pilot, I thought. Accessibly nerdy, well-paced, funny and super well cast. I love T.J. Miller, and Martin Starr, the Indian dude from Portlandia and the girl from Sex Drive are pretty awesome, too.

Sidebar: I really miss Bored to Death. :\

Dub, Anderson's films always have incredibly symmetry. It's part of their aesthetic appeal. He's a smart man.

MrO, I see you with the Budapest write-up.

I saw it last weekend, but I had been up for a day and a half, so I took an involuntary 25-minute nap at some point (so, like 30% of the movie). :lol:

What I saw, I liked, but didn't love. Honestly, I was a little skeptical when I saw the trailer. Him doing a period piece... I wasn't sure. But he still managed to do it his way. Whimsy, comedy, an underlying sweetness, familiar faces and the standard motifs (the symmetry, the running scene, more mature "children" than adults, etc.). I'm pretty sure he could make any actor in Hollywood fit seamlessly into his blueprint.

I'll have to give it a proper view when it comes out. I do much better with digesting movies alone at home, anyway.

Last edited:
It was a very good movie, with a few flaws that definitely could of been avoided.
But nonetheless, i can now say i am officially excited for the sequel.

I can respect that. I kinda felt the same after I left the theater. Benefit of the doubt.
But watching it a couple times after that, just kept bringing MoS way down for me.

Faora was awesome at least? :lol:

And someone, not sure if in here, said that Hannibal had better visuals than Game of Thrones...kinda agree now.

Chiwetel Ejiofor as the next Bond villain? I could see that... A movie with him & Craig as Bond, Fiennes as M, Ben Whishaw as Q, & finally Naomie Harris as Moneypenny? I'm with it... :D

Wut? It shows restraint, and even says something about how well those stories and characters were expressed, that those lowerkey stakes meant more

You see where I’m goin here tho? I point out all that MOS brings, and shows on screen, and you call it Vince Carter and check my stats. I point out Batman Begins and Iron Man, and look at the benefit of the doubt you just hand over. Shows restraint, and says something about expression, lowkey stakes, etc. What kind of reaching, someone paid you off, bull *** is that? :lol: :lol:

Bruce Wayne, not Joe Blow, Bruce Freaking Wayne, trades coats with some bum, and walks off into the wilderness to “find himself” and we have restraint.

Clark Kent wanders the planet he doesn’t belong too, searching for something, something he doesn’t even know what he’s looking for, and his movie is Vince Carter.

Same writer for both. And Nolan oversees both. That to me, says the issue you have is Snyder, and Snyder alone. Am I wrong? And I do remember you plugging Sucker Punch extended as being much better, which makes me wonder, if MOS had an extended, would it give you everything you needed, or would it still be fake, hollow, and check my stats level?

If Nolan directed MOS, and Snyder directed Batman Begins, same stories, would your complaints remain the same, or would they flip? :nerd:

Now, I'm sold. My man, Watson.
smokin.gif
really interested to see this.. been watching a little too much FX lately, with archer back on and them having the marvel movies on a ton..

but just seeing who is in it, had me surprised

Last edited:
You see where I’m goin here tho? I point out all that MOS brings, and shows on screen, and you call it Vince Carter and check my stats. I point out Batman Begins and Iron Man, and look at the benefit of the doubt you just hand over. Shows restraint, and says something about expression, lowkey stakes, etc. What kind of reaching, someone paid you off, bull *** is that? :lol: :lol:
Does not having an opinion count as benefit of the doubt? :lol: I saw Memento before, but I didn't even know it was the same director when I watched Begins. And I only watched Iron Man, cuz I loved RDJ in Kiss Kiss, but was still >D at the dude from Swingers directing a CBM.

But I don't care, what you've done before while I'm watching the movie. My opinion of a director, is just gonna stop me from wanting to see it, not heap on baggage to why it's not good. It's like this...the difference between Nolan and Snyder. You can legitimately tell that Nolan understands what he's doing with tone. That he knows how he's moving his characters and the narrative, and that he can find that emotional momentum in the moment.

Snyder...knows how to make it look like that. It's in the editing that you realize how little he either cares or how much his focus is on the cool. There's isn't a 2 min stretch of BB or TDK that doesn't have Nolan's energy, and framing and understanding of how pretty little character moments into every shot that make you feel like the movie's got a beating heart.

This:

Is hollow to me. The idea is there, sure. But you can tell, he's not doing anything with it at all. It's just...I don't even know. Dispassionate? It's dishonest to me. And the only other times I've felt it like that, where the visuals are where they should be, but that spark and understanding behind it just aren't there are X3 and all the Laurie Jupiter scenes in Watchmen.

Cuz that right there, is what most of the film felt like. Dead. It felt like Dexter faking emotions. It felt like whatever you saw in the trailer wasn't a part of a great scene, or the tip of the iceberg. There is no iceberg. It's all surface. It's a diorama. A really beautiful and well shot one, but it doesn't move and it doesn't feel and what you see is what you get. And that's fine, but look what they're putting out next door.

The story is fine, and the writing was good. They made some bold choices I really don't agree with, but brought so much else together, that it is what it is. But the heart. I need that.

If Nolan directed MOS, and Snyder directed Batman Begins, same stories, would your complaints remain the same, or would they flip? :nerd:
It depends. Anyone could suddenly connect with w/e cast, behind the scenes people and material. But probably flip.

I'll give you this much. Kevin Costner had it for a minute, before they made you regret caring about his character with their story choices. And Diane Lane brought it near the end, before things went full ****** all around her.

Last edited:
:smh: I heard Hollywood is going to try & make a Goonies sequel... Please just leave it alone please?

I saw this doc a couple of years ago but their re-releasing it. It's called My Neighbor, My Killer & it's about the Rwandan genocides & documents the process in which community-run "reconciliation" courts were created where neighbors judged & sentenced one another. It's a great doc & I 'm going to watch it again within the next week or so. Thought I'd share.

Nah, I heard it sucks though :lol:

AMC seems to be grasping at straws with all the new shows they're pumping out.

Last edited:
Nah, I heard it sucks though
laugh.gif

AMC seems to be grasping at straws with all the new shows they're pumping out.
Ah, thats a shame.  I just read a little blurb about it last week and it seemed like an interesting concept..  Didnt get a chance to watch it last night since GOT, Shameless, and Silicon Valley were all on.  I've never watched an AMC series, but i may give this one a shot.

Last edited:
Rake is a damn good show...and if anyone says the Australian version is better you will be pooping out DVD box sets of the UK Office for the next month.

Silicon Valley is going to be awesome.

TJ Miller is great, Martin Starr will always be funny. Pilot was solid, set up the stakes, I liked the tone and style.. no complaints so far.

Silicon Valley is going to be awesome.

TJ Miller is great, Martin Starr will always be funny. Pilot was solid, set up the stakes, I liked the tone and style.. no complaints so far.

Good to hear. Will check it out.

Back
Top Bottom