One-week internship starts tomorrow. Lend me some advice NTers.

I graduated in the summer or 2008 with a bfa in audio production, right around the time the economy went haywire. Since that time, I've been working 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to pay the bills and working frivolously to find employment in my field of study, with no avail. It got to a point when I gave up, then soon after, I was able to get in contact with a higher up in the company that I work for that's head of the company's production team. This team is responsible for producing the company's commercials, training videos, radio ads, etc. while visiting family in the city that the company's corporate campuses located, he have me a tour of the facility and introduced me to some employees. Afterward he answered all my questions and gave me some career advice. He also encouraged me to keep in touch. The next week I asked if they would allow me the opportunity to intern for them for a period of time, and he said absolutely.

Since the internship is unpaid, I have to rely on my own personal funds for hotel stay, car rental, plane tickets, food, etc. this meant that all I could afford was pretty much one week. He told me that for the most part, I will be shadowing the proction team, and he would also introduce me to audio, video, and music people in the area that he has good relationships with. The week officially starts tomorrow and I want to make the most out of this one week opportunity. I've got plenty compies of my portfolio reel on hand containing all of my contact information, five different business attire outfits packed, pens and notebook for personal notes, and I'm prepared to do whatever is asked plus more. I am hoping for this to in some way lead to a full time opportunity, but I'm also being realistic in the aspect that I'm only here for one week.

What advice do any of you have that have been successful in similar situations? How did your internship lead to a job? What were the things that you did that stood out the most to your supervisor? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. Handle yourself professionally. That means showing up to things 15 minutes ahead of time, having documents prepared in advanced, and going out of your way to make sure you're prepared for what's to come.

2. DRESS TO KILL. People will notice if you put time into your appearance, and will simply brush you aside if you look like everyone else. That's not to say that you should show up to work with a blue blazer, white slacks, and wayfarers looking like you hopped out of a tumblr fashion post. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have, and people will take note of it.

3. Don't kill your personality. I noticed that a lot of times, when working in a new place people will stop themselves from making that joke that might have popped into their head, or used rehearsed responses in conversation to seem politically correct. While that might be important in the field of Politics, you don't necessarily have to worry about that. Be yourself, but think before you act/speak. You don't want the team members there thinking that you are some politically correct better-than-thou-art snob, but you also don't want them to think that you're too casual to get any work done. Which leads me to my next point...

4. Be productive. Someone asks you to get done with something by 3? If you can do it, get it done by 1. Not just once or twice, but every time possible. There is always work to be done in any field, and the lighter you make the work load on people around you, the more they will like you. That's not to say that you need to be asking for something to do every 10 minutes, but if you notice someone doing work that you could help with, offer help.

5. Introduce yourself! Even if you aren't outgoing, you taking the 2-5 minutes to make eye contact with someone and shake their hand can literally make the difference in your hiring decision. You never know who you're talking to when you enter a new place of work, so be polite and ask questions. If you let people talk about themselves, they'll be more inclined to ask about you.

You only have it for one week, so realistically there is only so much acclimation you can do in your stay. In general just be polite, professional, and productive. If you make an impact on the office, they will notice you and even if they don't offer you a job, it can open a door way into one. If you don't, you'll simply be "that guy that was here for a week."

Glad to know there's other audio engineers on NT.
pimp.gif
Remember that in this industry connections are gold. Meet as many people as you can and hand out as many business cards as you can. Good luck OP.

I think you are all set man. Start building connections. Half of the people I hired because they knew someone and I got a tip that their a good worker. Don't stress yourself and Good luck

Ok, thanks guys, especially Mr. Yeah. I've read over your post at least 5 times over the last 12 hours. I think I have every base covered. About to walk into the building now! Thanks again and wish me luck!

Basically what Yeah said. Be assertive, confident, look everyone in the eye, make an impact. Get people to remember you (in the right way, not for you being a clown or something).  And:
 BE ON TIME!! 

good luck fam.

i respect your ambition, you did all of this for one week's opportunity? if this company doesn't realize this then you're at the wrong spot.

just bring your confidence.

salute.

Originally Posted by The Gangsta M Crisis

Ok, thanks guys, especially Mr. Yeah. I've read over your post at least 5 times over the last 12 hours. I think I have every base covered. About to walk into the building now! Thanks again and wish me luck!
roll.gif
@ Mr. Yeah. I'm probably younger than you, homie.

But good luck. Just be confident, work as hard as you can, and most of all enjoy yourself regardless of the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom