Personal Finance Thread

Not sure if this has been done before, and I know there's already a finance thread; that one seems more directed at people looking into securities though. I was thinking we could have a personal finance thread that would be helpful for us college students and recent graduates.

I know personally the personal finance class that I took last semester as a GPA helper helped me out a ton, and I believe that it's a class everyone should take before they graduate to set up a solid foundation and to realize the best practices early in their careers. So feel free to post anything that you guys think may help others, and also ask all of your questions here.

My question (also main reason for wanting to start this) is that I just learned I can keep my internship up until December after recently being told that I couldn't. Anyway it pays really good but it also pays weekly, which is nice but makes saving really hard just because I want everything. So I'm looking into starting a savings account with high yields and was wondering,

Would it be best to open a savings account with one of these huge banks that offer high yields like Barclays, or stick with my Credit Union and open a money market account? I've looked into it very briefly and I know if I do an account with Barclays they don't have a minimum required to open an account, but if I do a money market account the minimum at my credit union is 2500. I'd be starting from 0 and just depositing a portion of my check into that account each week and won't touch it for years. So if I do go the money market account I'd have to wait until I get 2500.

Just looking for opinions on someone more informed on the situation. Hopefully the question made sense

My advice to recent grads: Once you begin your career, start transferring money to a Roth IRA, common stock, and general savings accounts on a weekly basis. Even if its just $10 each per week. Bump it up when you feel you can.

I was three years into my career before I started allocating money to anything other than my 401k and spending.

P.S. don't burden yourself with a large car payment right off the bat.

All I've got is my 401k and a 457 plan. I know I need more, but don't really know where to start. Advise me bros.

Back
Top Bottom