Pick up Basketball....what grinds your gears? vol. Illegal Defense

Just wondering what things bother you when playing pick up ball? A couple days ago, I was playing and the team I was on had a lot of size, but the other teamhad all the speed. We tried going man-to-man, but ended up falling behind real quick. Someone on our squad made the suggestion that we run a 2-3, and when wedid we frustrated the hell out of the opposing team. They had to settle of a lot of jump shots, and got nothing in the paint. In the end, we ended up winningthe game, but the other team that we beat was SALTY! They were calling our squad a bunch of "females" etc etc....next game we went straight man, andwhooped them real bad. This team was so bitter that they even went as far as stopping play due to "illegal defense." Who calls illegal defense inpick-up hoops? When they stopped play for this everyone went
eek.gif
. I guess what grinds my gears is the constant complaining if your team got beat. Takeyour loss like a man and shut up. On top of it, carrying over that frustration and calling a bunch of BS fouls etc in the next couple of games....anotherthing that i hate is when dudes flat out give up if their team is losing. A few weeks ago, I told one of my teammates to get off the court cause he wasn'tplaying any sort of D. We were losing big, but you still gotta hustle until the game is over....I hate that type of mentality.

When i played at the Y today. Some kids were trying to call over and back.

Illegale Defense in a pick up game?

Hell every pick game I played you only call out of bounds, fouls, doubble dribble and traveling.

I call carrying if it gets excessive.

I hate when someone tries to be the in-game ref. Calling the most random !$%%.

-Dudes trying to be SG#24 or MJ
-The kid who can't play ball with his Bruce Bowen D.
-Older dudes trying to "lead" the team
-The wanna be Superstar taking all the shots

and what grinds my gears the most is

-The dude who doesn't get back on D
-The Cherry picker.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

-The Cherry picker.

Then when you don't give it up to them. They are mad.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

When i played at the Y today. Some kids were trying to call over and back.

i've never called such a thing.. but there's some dirty people out there on rebounds that will wait for you to jump for a rebound and just shoveyou into the wall to get it themselves... what are you supposed to do about that if you can't call such things? (outside of throwing an elbow to theirmouth and starting a fight)

I remember once we crushed this dude's team and his excuse was that we cursed the basketball because we played with my TF-1000. He was really convinced. Sohe said gimme that ball and took a 16 foot jumper and missed and said, "See?! I make those all day!"

-The Cherry picker.

Then when you don't give it up to them. They are mad.

Its probably the most annoying thing. Yesterday i almost broke dudes neck for giving him such a hard foul.

Im sorry but my pride will never allow me to play zone defense in a pick up game. Ive had people say lets play zone and I just look at them crazy and yell outwho I got on D.

The illegal defense was ridiculous...the PG on the other team drove the lane and tried to put up a floater. The dude on my team just stood there and put hishands up (didn't move). The PG ran straight into the guy on my team and his shot went WAY off....he called ball for "illegal defense." There wasA LOT of arguing, but we just said whatever and gave them the rock.....we beat their butts anyways....

the other dude called us a bunch of "females" cause we were running a zone defense. He said that we should have gone man, and no one runs a zone whenplaying pick-up ball. If we are getting beat because of their speed when running man, wouldn't you make an adjustment?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Just wondering what things bother you when playing pick up ball? A couple days ago, I was playing and the team I was on had a lot of size, but the other team had all the speed. We tried going man-to-man, but ended up falling behind real quick. Someone on our squad made the suggestion that we run a 2-3, and when we did we frustrated the hell out of the opposing team. They had to settle of a lot of jump shots, and got nothing in the paint. In the end, we ended up winning the game, but the other team that we beat was SALTY! They were calling our squad a bunch of "females" etc etc....next game we went straight man, and whooped them real bad. This team was so bitter that they even went as far as stopping play due to "illegal defense." Who calls illegal defense in pick-up hoops? When they stopped play for this everyone went
eek.gif
. I guess what grinds my gears is the constant complaining if your team got beat. Take your loss like a man and shut up. On top of it, carrying over that frustration and calling a bunch of BS fouls etc in the next couple of games....another thing that i hate is when dudes flat out give up if their team is losing. A few weeks ago, I told one of my teammates to get off the court cause he wasn't playing any sort of D. We were losing big, but you still gotta hustle until the game is over....I hate that type of mentality.

I agree with everything you said. WTH?!!! who calls illegal defense?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Im sorry but my pride will never allow me to play zone defense in a pick up game. Ive had people say lets play zone and I just look at them crazy and yell out who I got on D.

laugh.gif
that's just crazy talk.. i do whatever it takes to win man..If i'm playing a team full of dudes who can't shoot, i'm going to force them to shoot from outside.. if i'm playing with a bunch of dudes whocan't defend on my own team, i'm going to figure out some way to disguise them and hide them in the defense.

your pride should want you to win, no matter what right? I'll play triangle and 2 if it helps us win the game.. i don't care what it takes.

-Cherry Pickers
-Dudes who chuck the ball up with the slightest amount of daylight
-Dudes who can't dribble or pass. In general have no ball handling skills
-People who consistently get beat on D
-Defenders who slap at the ball and end up hitting your wrist while dribbling or arm while shooting
-Defenders who try to block everything, and as a result you usually hit the hardwood pretty hard

-the thing I hate most is as mentioned before, when someone slaps your arm while you are shooting or knocks you down, resulting in an airball, and you call afoul and they look at you like @#%$? Get the @#%$ outta here you know you hit me and if you honostly don't think you did look at the red marks all over myarms.

-The Cherry picker.

omg i hate that dudes jackin up threes all game but cant get back on D smh

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Im sorry but my pride will never allow me to play zone defense in a pick up game. Ive had people say lets play zone and I just look at them crazy and yell out who I got on D.

laugh.gif
that's just crazy talk.. i do whatever it takes to win man.. If i'm playing a team full of dudes who can't shoot, i'm going to force them to shoot from outside.. if i'm playing with a bunch of dudes who can't defend on my own team, i'm going to figure out some way to disguise them and hide them in the defense.

your pride should want you to win, no matter what right? I'll play triangle and 2 if it helps us win the game.. i don't care what it takes.
No sir, athletically its as a challenge. now if we playing a rec league game, we can talk zone,

but a damn pick up game, I aint playin zone regardless of what anyone says.

-The one guy who camps in the paint for 4 mins

-The guys who stay on the other side of basket and refuse to play defense.

-Hackers

Kids who get fouled. Don't call it. Then complain about it later.

Or they're like no foul. Then they call it late. Then everyone is like
mad.gif
while he's like
embarassed.gif

-I hate them dudes who ain't in enough shape to play defense...or don't really no how to play defense in the first place...who just uses his hands andbody to stop you from scoring
-I hate the black hole...I got a friend like this who doesn't no how to pass worth shhhh
-I usually hate zone defenses to...because most pick up games ae discipline enough for people to play a zone properly...you got people all over the place
-I haven't seen this in a while but dudes would be tryna say you called foul if you say and 1 and you make it...then its your ball and no point
laugh.gif
smh.gif

-My theory is it's not a foul unless i hit the ground, so i hate when people call%+%$!#*+* ticky tack fouls...
sick.gif

-Cherry Pickers
-People not hustling, standing under the basket and not going for a rebound...SMH
-Getting burnt every play on D and then take 95% of the shots
indifferent.gif

generally
-players that try to be referees and always call fouls/traveling/crap on the other team
eyes.gif

-cherry pickers

i can't lie i like playing zone because there's less fatigue and sometimes it's just as effective because a lot of people don't have good 1 on1 defense skills. but i'm a decent 1 on 1 defender so i don't mind playin man, but it definitely is much more tiring.

Back
Top Bottom