Pick up Basketball....what grinds your gears? vol. Illegal Defense

I absolutely hate when someone is constantly hacking me and calling fouls FOR me. ima big guy but pretty atheltic so i can finish after the hit..but dude willbe like ahh man HE GOT ONE!
laugh.gif

I hate it when random dime pieces just run on the court and hug me when I'm hoopin. I'm like can't you see I got a game to win?

Originally Posted by haiti5

I absolutely hate when someone is constantly hacking me and calling fouls FOR me. ima big guy but pretty atheltic so i can finish after the hit..but dude will be like ahh man HE GOT ONE!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
guilty here. i call my own fouls sometimes when i feel i reallyhacked someone (like...went for the block and clearly didn't get ball) and they didn't call anything. i dunno i try to maintain some honesty in thegame, cuz sometimes ppl are just too scared to call fouls.

One thing that I've always hated is PEOPLE THAT TALK THE ENTIRE GAME....like cracking jokes and shhhh

Oh and I don't remember when this started, but when did it become mandatory to call people by someone they think they look like?

Every time I go to the gym now where people don't know me it's like I get called:

OJ Mayo (when I have my beard)
Eddie Jones (shaved beard off)
Tim Thomas

Can't think of any others right now

Tim Thomas
laugh.gif
i definitely do that. i called this dude bryant reevesone day and he got really pissed

dudes we call "buzzers."

"Buzzers" are dudes who get mad for whatever reason and decide they gonna close court via punting the ball over the fence into the lake or smashingsome bottles on the court. once a buzzer goes off, it's over.

Yea, don't give me the foul. I don't call fouls almost ever, to the point people foul me on purpose knowing I hate to call them, but it's becauseI'm a big strong guy and can still finish more often than not. People be committing *$$+% fouls on me talking bout, "no bucket I fouled you. I gave itto you," when I get passed them or grab an O rebound, but then the rest of the time they're hacking their$@%! off and don't say anything.

I hate dudes who always shoot the ball between plays. You know like dead ball turnover so we're walking to half court the other way to take the ball out uptop, and dudes always shoot a 3 just while everybody's getting ready and it long rebounds and wastes a bunch of time.

And if you're going to shoot on a goal while we're running full, just take short shots or go to the other goal, one of which is usually open. Dudes bedamn near playing a full game of 21 while the ball is on the other end, shooting NBA range 3s knowing damn well the miss is going to bounce through the gamegoing on.

I also never been a fan of people yelling, "Let's GOOOOO!!!!" Calm the %*!! down.

What about when you are trying to guard the player with the ball, and a dude from his team comes to set an illegal screen...

Illegal enough that you try to go around it, and he's pretty much tackling you
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

What about when you are trying to guard the player with the ball, and a dude from his team comes to set an illegal screen...

Illegal enough that you try to go around it, and he's pretty much tackling you
laugh.gif
smh.gif

part of pickup basketball. play like a man and get through those. Can't be on some pansy "I just got screened #*$#" and let the ballhandlerget by. Hedge, and bump the ballhandler back the other way before he can even take the screen or fight through or call for a switch. Even in real games, refsdon't like calling fouls on setting or getting through screens, you got tons of leeway there. I usually just push the person standing there trying to set ascreen before the ballhandler decides to take it, then he gets tired of it and won't set anymore screens on me.

I usually don't care what people bring to the game or how they look , play, etc. The only thing that i hate the most is when a loud dude show up and startcalling the game his way. He's usually a thug who think he can play and act hard . He talk the most trash talks ever and usually get his butt whooped thenstart to get salty at the end. Fight usually broke out because some dude on my team lost his cool and take matter into his own hand. LOL , I swear fighting isinevitable at my court.

Here's a list of annoying types of player that i hate:

1. Sensitive manly dude who come to the game looking for a fight instead of playing basketball because he can't stand a butt whooping from dude who's5-10 years younger than him.

2. Loud mouths

3. Player Coaches

4. Mr. 5'10 only but think he's big enough to bounce people around in the paint. He eventually get stuffed and turn physical on every play down thestretch.

--The 13 guys NOT playing in the game shooting around at the other end with poor reaction time as you come down for the fast break.

--When you and your friend are on a team with 3 other guys you don't really know, and they only pass it amongst themselves.

--The obligatory girl who thinks "playing with the big boys" just means hacking your body to pieces and playing dirty.

--Already mentioned, but the has-been 39 year old guy who has a shot just because he's practiced since 1977 but feels the need to flex his authority.

--Bickering that lasts for 5 minutes about who was out of bounds.

--Your man missed every shot he took so you back off him and the only one he makes is the game winner.

We had a guy playing in a long sleeve shirt that was 5 sizes too big for him. It was pathetic. He would go down low, call for the ball, and then roll hissleeves up his arms again and again. We yelled at him to take that stupid shirt off. He wouldn't do it. It was a joke. He had to worry about his shirtfalling down over his hands while calling for the ball. I'm not passing to you dude. Take that shirt off.

-When the dude who is sweating buckets tries to back you down and you have to wipe your arm constantly
-When you're down 2 so everybody on your team starts jacking up 3's
-Cherry pickers
-Guys tugging your shirt or shorts every time you run past them because they're lazy (I'm talking EVERY TIME)
-Dude on your team that announces "we'll be skins..."
-Guys blaming their shoes
-Big guys on your team that play soft
-When I have to guard the 6'7 dude because he's killing us. (I'm 6'1)
-When you have this in game 1 on 1 where only these 2 guys are going back and forth as if the rest of us aren't there. (This should last 2 possessions, NOTTHE WHOLE GAME!)

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Oh and I don't remember when this started, but when did it become mandatory to call people by someone they think they look like?

Every time I go to the gym now where people don't know me it's like I get called:

Tim Thomas

Can't think of any others right now

i have been called, Mike Bibby, Jason Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Manu Ginobili. so many different players since they dont know my name. i was calledbibby for the longest too, no one knew my name so EVERYONE in the gym called me that for like a month before they saw my tattoo and called me my last name
laugh.gif

- When the center 6'9' weighting 250 calls a moving screen on me 5'11' (6 feet on a good day) weighting 165. I tell them I want you to run meover if I do it again. - Or when some guy you don't know plays on your team and misses every shot he takes. But as soon as he goes to another team he turnsinto Kobe Bryant.

*Edit: The thing I hate most is when the center is guarded by a short guy and he keeps taking fade away shots.

Man, that video is so funny! What really grinds my gears is them old guys who sweat so bad that when you guard them all you can feel is their wet arms.

Cant stand people on my team who dont call out screens.
Let's take that even further. Dudes that do not talk during the game at all. They don't call screens, they don't point to where theopen man is, never call fouls when obviously they just got mauled, and they can't give a decent dap.
mad.gif

I just got back from the gym and I dunno how dudes smell so bad. I understand that we're playing ball and everyone is sweaty, but that nasty scentisn't from basketball man. That's from you not using your nails in the shower son.

Also I know it's not their fault, but people sweat a little too much. I swear I had to bust out a poncho and winshield wipers to D him up in the post.

-when people call 3 in the key if i stay in the key for like 5 seconds...
-when they call backcourt violation
-that one guy who only stays on one side to score and cherry pick and doesn't get back on D. or it takes him 10 minutes to get across the court

Back
Top Bottom