Police Kill Unarmed Teen In Ferguson, Missouri

This is not accurate. It would generally be true if these prior records were to be used in case against MB, but MB isn't the one on trial for a crime. The records would not be admissible to make a case against MB, but they're not being used for that purpose; they'd be used as support by the defense on whether DW was justified in his actions.

Regardless, I think it's been discussed on a bunch of other sites I've been following on MB that the alleged criminal records belong to a different Michael Brown in MO, and not to this MB, so it doesn't matter.

So because I caught a DWI case 10 years ago, God forbid tomorrow I get gunned down and executed by a cop with an agenda, the stain on my record will be used in favor of the officer?...lmao

What a joke

Come on @KSteezy,

You know damn well folks have been looking at the "background" of these black boys getting killed to find a reason to justify the death. They did it with T. Martin and they damn sure willl do it here.

So because I caught a DWI case 10 years ago, God forbid tomorrow I get gunned down and executed by a cop with an agenda, the stain on my record will be used in favor of the officer?...lmao

What a joke
Even though my record is expunged (thanks to the culver city PD who up charged me with 3 felonies, knowing I had to plea down) I have to still embarrassingly disclose it on applications to government employment opportunities only for it to haunt me...10 years later.

I was reprimanded at work but they've since removed it from my file, but now that I want a career change, I have to fight that ripple with every application going forward.

Come on @KSteezy,

You know damn well folks have been looking at the "background" of these black boys getting killed to find a reason to justify the death. They did it with T. Martin and they damn sure willl do it here.

I'm at a loss for words, NOTHING will legit justify what the officer did without blatantly disrespecting everything the civil rights movement stood for...ugh

What a joke

It can, but it probably wouldn't because the defense attorney probably wouldn't attempt to introduce it because the two types of incidents are unrelated. He'd risk being on a very short leash with the judge if he tried to raise that, which probably wouldn't be worth it.

Juries aren't that stupid, but if MB did in fact commit a violent crime whether as a juvenile or adult, it's definitely making its way into the trial.

Last edited:
Even though my record is expunged (thanks to the culver city PD who up charged me with 3 felonies, knowing I had to plea down) I have to still embarrassingly disclose it on applications to government employment opportunities only for it to haunt me...10 years later.

I was reprimanded at work but they've since removed it from my file, but now that I want a career change, I have to fight that ripple with every application going forward.

Yeah a felony record can make it harder to move forward in life, I get that...is not fair, but in no way is an employer dismissal even remotely similar to the justification of an execution because of a prior record

Yeah a felony record can make it harder to move forward in life, I get that...is not fair, but in no way is an employer dismissal even remotely similar to the justification of an execution because of a prior record
I feel you papi...I had a misdemeanor and it's tough..so ugh.

Last year, Miley Cyrus’s twerking, teddy-bear-filled performance at MTV’s Video Music Awards  set off fierce arguments  about race and cultural appropriation. This year, MTV is hoping to use its awards ceremony to start a different kind of conversation. Before and during the show, the network will be airing somber public service announcements about the ongoing standoff between law enforcement and the citizens of Ferguson, Mo., in the wake of the August 9 shooting death of teenager Michael Brown.

MTV’s spots are part of a larger campaign,  Look Different, that the network developed in conjunction with organizations including the Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP, the National Council of La Raza and the Southern Poverty Law Center. MTV has a long history of activist-oriented youth programming, and the Look Different program developed out of a paradox that MTV President Stephen Friedman told me he saw showing up in MTV polling.

“Eighty percent of our audience believes that bias is at the root of racism and prejudice,” Friedman said. “But when cultural explosions like Trayvon Martin, or the recent death on Staten Island, or what is now happening in Ferguson occur, our audience often feels paralyzed to discuss the issues.”

The reason? A good-intentioned schema for how to treat other people fairly that ultimately makes it more difficult to acknowledge unfairness or difference when it shows up anyway.

“Ironically, part of the problem is that this generation was taught to be color-blind,” Friedman told me. “As a result, they feel like they’re going to step on a land mine if they say the wrong thing. In fact, our research has shown that fully 70 percent of our white audience grew up not talking about race in their households. They’re striving for fairness and equality and often just aren’t sure how to to proceed.”

So Look Different uses tools like  quizzes that try to flesh out the audience’s bias  and a guide called “See That, Say This” to try to give viewers basic language to respond when their friends use racial stereotypes, make anti-affirmative action or anti-transgender comments, or say negative and unfair things about others’ sexual behavior. The “See This, Say That” guide is particularly clever, giving audiences options to be varying degrees of gentle or direct with their friends, and even giving them funny reaction .Gif files to use on social media.

The Ferguson spot MTV will run during the awards pre-show is a fairly basic extension of the Look Different campaign. It shows a range of young people, with voice overs describing the stereotypes they encounter, as panes of glass shatter against their faces. Stereotypes may not be able to stand up to the human reality, but that does not mean that they cannot inflict pain:

The spot that will run during the show is plainer — but even more effective.

Chants of “Hands up, don’t shoot,” the refrain that has become a hallmark of the protests against the policies that contributed both to Brown’s death at the hands of Officer Darren Wilson and to the military-style occupation of Ferguson that followed, echo as the camera focuses on a sign marking the boundary of Ferguson and noting the year the town was founded. Slowly, a quotation from James Baldwin is superimposed over the sign: “Not everything that is faced can be changed; but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”

Of course, MTV gets a boost for its brand by appearing engaged with activism around Ferguson, too. But Friedman said he hoped the network’s role could be not just in drawing attention to its own projects, but also in lending its broadcasting capacity to the work activists are doing themselves: Part of the Look Different campaign is an effort to spotlight audience-created posts and to air them on MTV.

“Young people are using social media not just to spread news but to create powerful memes like ‘Hands Up Don’t Shoot,’ which are becoming the activist rallying points that echo around the country,” he said. “Memes and hashtags are the new megaphones … We believe that inviting the audience to define what they feel is positive action is an incredibly powerful way to help reshape norms around what equality and fairness mean today.”

Source

Racism is definitely not dead.
I debate with my Mother on occasion and I get the overall sense that she feels like I forget the struggle her and my Father went through(she's White 57yr he's Black 60yr)

They were kids in late 60's and teens in the 70's.
They've endured some harshness.

Although I can never Know what that struggle was for a mixed couple then, I can understand because of education from them and books and life has also helped to understand.

If I'm not passionate about it being a problem, My Mother sometimes think I don't believe racism exists.

It's hard for her to understand when I tell her..
Every man/woman has a struggle and can be a victim of that struggle if they choose, the fact that I don't acknowledge activists against racism is a way of me not breathing life into it, I know it exists, it's evident. I'm know about the wrongdoings that envelope racism and it's not right, but I'm more passionate about a lot of things that directly affect me and the WORLD outside of racism. I'm more concerned with a problem that affects the HUMAN RACE as a whole as opposed just ONE RACE inside of an entire species.

It's a lesser of two evils for me, there are a lot of important issues in the WORLD that need to be addressed, which ones I choose to be passionate about or address doesn't negate my awareness of the others I don't address.

Where can I donate money to Mike Brown's Family or the Freedom Fighters in Freguson.??? please post a link
All this talking is cool guys…but we have to put our money where our mouth is. White Supremacist have already raised a quarter of a million dollars for Wilson in a matter of days. This is the best time we can practice group economics

I debate with my Mother on occasion and I get the overall sense that she feels like I forget the struggle her and my Father went through(she's White 57yr he's Black 60yr)

Although I can never Know what that struggle was for a mixed couple then, I can understand because of education from them and books and life has also helped to understand.

If I'm not passionate about it being a problem, My Mother sometimes think I don't believe racism exists.

Every man/woman has a struggle and can be a victim of that struggle if they choose, the fact that I don't acknowledge activists against racism is a way of me not breathing life into it, I know it exists, it's evident. I'm know about the wrongdoings that envelope racism and it's not right, but I'm more passionate about a lot of things that directly affect me and the WORLD outside of racism. I'm more concerned with a problem that affects the HUMAN RACE as a whole as opposed just ONE RACE inside of an entire species.

It's a lesser of two evils for me, there are a lot of important issues in the WORLD that need to be addressed, which ones I choose to be passionate about or address doesn't negate my awareness of the others I don't address.
I'm team IR and I love the smirk we get out in public.

They want other races to hate each other so bad that it makes feel good knowing its not totally working.

It don't bother me a bit when a brother dates a Latina, and I get nothing but love from the black dudes when we're out.

What exactly are the proceeds from DW's fund going to be used for? Legal fees? What else is there?

Last edited:

I'm team IR and I love the smirk we get out in public.

They want other races to hate each other so bad that it makes feel good knowing its not totally working.

It don't bother me a bit when a brother dates a Latina, and I get nothing but love from the black dudes when we're out.

Exactly my dude. I get a lot of justification in knowing that it makes a racist more mad to know I don't care about his view, better yet, he/she is not even acknowledged by me.

Nothing better feeling to me than being blatantly disrespected or hated in public, loudly, but I don't even pay attention.

The racist are furious I don't acknowledge them, the crowd and observers are in awe that I was a bigger man, and never said a word.

Acknowledged, and ignored, kind of like "bye Felecia"

You feel me

Monday, August 25th would have been Mike Brown's first day of college. Instead, it is the day of his funeral. Rather than dropping Mike off at school on Monday, his family will be saying goodbye to him forever.

Since Mike Brown won't be in class on Monday we are calling for a National Student Walk Out in Solidarity with Ferguson, MO and every community that has lost people to police violence. Find a #HandsUpWalkout on your campus or create your own below.

The steps for organizing a campus #HandsUpWalkout are simple: 

• Find a central open space on campus for your gathering. 
  • Just register an event asking people to meet at that space on our page on Monday.
  • Share the link to you event throughout your networks and around campus.
  • Download the event toolkit that will be sent to your email.
  • Be at your location early on Monday to greet participants and circulate a sign in sheet.
  • At the gathering you'll read the names of people that have been lost, hear from one another, and give the latest updates on the campaign in Ferguson and around the country to end police violence in communities of color.
This event is meant to be more than just a gathering. This is an opportunity to organize like-minded people on your campus around police violence against people of color. Think about other actions that can be taken locally to change police practices and consider scheduling a planning meeting some time during the week.

If you have any questions, email Scott at scott.roberts.a@gmail.com.

http://ourlivesmatter.nationbuilder.com/_handsupwalkout

Back
Top Bottom