POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

Would appreciate some advice, had 2 nixon 51-30's that fit like charm on my big ol hands/wrists, anything in the approx 1k range in black/stealth chrono big face you guys recommend? thanks nt :pimp:

Would appreciate some advice, had 2 nixon 51-30's that fit like charm on my big ol hands/wrists, anything in the approx 1k range in black/stealth chrono big face you guys recommend? thanks nt :pimp:

brands to check for 1k range

+Hamilton
+Tissot
+Steinhart
+Stowa
+Fortis
+Lum-tec

edit- there are a few tags for 1k

Last edited:
Mines is like 6.5 inches and I got this kors watch as a gift and I think it's 47 mm and it feels kinda big and this watch I've been eyeing is 50 mm and I think that's way to huge.

Here's the kors

How big a watch really depends on the lugs and the size of the face IMO. A 47mm fliegar will look and feel bigger than 47mm Panerai Radiomir with the lugs curved inward. A diver likewise will look smaller compared to a fliegar due to a majority of divers having bezels and fliegars being all dial

any of u skinny brahs wear a 50mm watch?

The Suunto Core has a 50mm face. I have a 7 in. wrist. Doesn't look all that big since the lugs are curved inward. It's a little smaller than the diameter of my wrist, so it doesn't look awkward, either.

sup guys! i'm in need of a nicer watch/timepiece and don't really want the gold wanna be style rolex anymore....thoughts on this?
nerd.gif

The Suunto Core has a 50mm face. I have a 7 in. wrist. Doesn't look all that big since the lugs are curved inward. It's a little smaller than the diameter of my wrist, so it doesn't look awkward, either.

Holy crap can you even bend your wrist?

Watch looks too tight.

just looked a few pages back....these 2 watches are GREAT! i would be A-OK with these 2, a black watch style one and a gold one!

Guide To Buying Your First Rolex Part 1: When To Buy

This is a two part guide on buying your first Rolex watch. Part 1 discusses when you should invest in your first Rolex, while Part 2 discuss what specific Rolex timepiece to buy.

True story: when I first became interested in "nice" watches I had little interest in Rolex. Looking back, I think I found them a bit ordinary or too conservative looking. My 20 year-old self perhaps saw them as being "too safe" from a design perspective and not close enough the modern, experimental designs I was attracted to at the time. That was all true. Rolex watches are design monoliths. Due to Rolex's impressive marketing over the years, as well as the sheer popularity of their products, they have become the archetype of the "nice watch." And everyone certainly knows about them. My younger self was simply looking for something a bit more fresh. It was not a right time to get my first Rolex.

Over the years my relationship with Rolex evolved. It is now one of admiration, appreciation, and certainly understanding. I know what Rolex watches are good at, I know what to expect from the brand, and I certainly know how seriously other people take them. And that goes equally for new and vintage Rolex watches that attract very distinct fans.

Why People Want A Rolex

Rolex watches are perhaps the finest mass-produced industrial timepiece on the planet. They may actually be the finest mass-produced anything. And by mass-produced I mean in terms of watch brand production volumes which for watches at the Rolex price point is most always less than one million watches per year.

Eventually I came to approve of and even greatly desire one, then two, and later more Rolex watch models. What really changed my perception of Rolex was being able to survey the competition. My status as a watch writer and expert affords me the opportunity to handle over 1,000 watches per year. I've reviewed a lot of watches and can say for sure that Rolex does a lot of things the very best. You also can't deny the communicative power a Rolex watch has when saying something about your status, wealth, and taste. None of it may be true, but years of work have given Rolex wearers a pretty good personality edge. Even people who think buying a Rolex is a too easy way of showing actual or apparent wealth can usually only fault the wearer and not the watch. I've come to find that a Rolex watch is infrequently a bad choice.

People tend to want buy a Rolex for one of the following main reasons: to celebrate an achievement, to own a watch that appears to hold value, to communicate a level of career or life success, to own a luxury watch that is a simple choice, or to wear a timepiece with a lot of history. Most Rolex watch models would satisfy each of these needs. No reason is better or worse, but it is interesting that most people's desire to wear a Rolex falls into one or more of these categories.

The natural next question to ask is whether these are good reasons or whether these are just marketing perpetuated ideas to sell watches. That is a very good question and I think the most simple response is that whether or not these ideas are perpetuated by marketing, they are true. Rolex watches are frequently given or purchased on special occasions. Rolex watches to tend to hold their value very well. And Rolex watches are a well-known luxury brand with a name lots of people have a positive association with. So marketing aside, they are true claims.

People have sometimes asked me if "Rolex watches are the best in the world?" Rolex is probably the most powerful luxury watch name, and their products are very well-made, these are facts. However, Rolex watches are the last timepiece some people will buy, and for others they are just a start. Rolex tends to make simple mechanical movements and a limited variety of core designs. There is an entire universe of more complicated, more expensive, and more thoroughly designed watches. Having said that, few will claim that a Rolex doesn't belong in a well-rounded watch collection.

When Is The Right Time To Buy A Rolex?

Around the time this article was written, we on aBlogtoWatch were wrapping up a viewer poll on this exact question. Visitors to aBlogtoWatch were asked, in their opinion, what the best time to buy a Rolex watch was. Four possible response choices were given and the results were remarkably well-distributed. About 21% said that it was best to buy a Rolex as soon as they could afford it. About 24% said the best time to get a Rolex was after sampling watches from many other brands. About 25% said it was Rolex time as soon as you've achieved a certain level of success. The rest weren't interested in Rolex watches at all.

The poll results indicated that 70% of aBlogtoWatch readers felt it was a good idea to buy a Rolex at some point. Clearly, you need to afford one first. As of now, the entry level price for the most basic new Rolex watch is about $5,000, with most pieces people want priced in the $8,000 - $12,000 range. Of course vintage or pre-owned Rolex watches can be less or actually more money.

Assuming the money is in the bank, you need to feel emotionally ready. Sound silly? Well given that people associate so many types of sentimental feelings with Rolex watches, it is actually something to consider. Let me tell you what I personally feel. Like I said earlier, Rolex watches are a monolith. The brand is like a rock-solid force that was here before I was born, and will be here after I have left. Rolex also does not really add or subtract models with any speed or regularity. In fact, the watch models Rolex sells today, will in some highly recognizable form, be available long into the future. Rolex evolves their product collection versus changing it. That means it is as good a time to buy a new Submariner now, as it will be in 5, 10, or even 20 years. The Submariner will still be around - and it is that type of reassurance that Rolex has worked so hard to foster.

Having said that, I'd love a Rolex right now, but perhaps it would be a foolhardy decision. I am among those people who believe that the time to buy a Rolex is right after you've sampled a lot of watches, and when the right level of life success calls for it. I am just one person however. What we've done for you is collect the thoughts of our most respected fellow watch experts and writers to weigh in on this issue. Read their thoughts below and check out part 2 of the "When To Buy Your First Rolex" on what watch to buy.

Last edited:
Guide To Buying Your First Rolex Part 2: What To Buy

Recently we spoke with the Rolex boutique in Beverly Hills and they confirmed that Rolex has about 2,000 SKUs even though there are only a few product families to choose from. That effectively means that there are tons of available Rolex watches to choose from. And that doesn't even include Rolex's rather intense catalog of vintage and no longer produced models.

Many people know they want a Rolex watch but aren't sure what model to get. Some people simply want the name on their wrist and are looking for the least expensive model. Other people have a closer connection with a specific model's history, or simply feel that one particular Rolex fits their lifestyle best. Even then, with all the options available it can be difficult to decide what your first Rolex watch should be. So let's take a brief look at what Rolex watches are available, and how to satisfy the various reasons you want to buy one.

What Are You Looking For?

As we discussed in Part 1 of the Guide To Buying Your First Rolex, different people want Rolex watches for different reasons and at different times in their lives. Understanding what your needs are will certainly help in determining what your first Rolex watch should be.

The Rolex you buy might be your first and last Rolex, or the start of a collection. You'll want the first model to have some meaning, residual value, as well as a versatile style. Most Rolex watches are designed to fit with many outfits, but that isn't the case for all of them. Also, those with a specific interest in value retention have special considerations to make.

People who just want the Rolex name on their wrist probably have the hardest time. These people are going to be looking at thousands of available watches all over the world hunting for the best watch, at the best price, in the best condition. Today, the Rolex Air King models are the entry level pieces and the least expensive with a price of about $5,000. These are basic models and are considerably smaller than most of the other popular models from the brand. We will discuss more of that below.

Pre-owned or used Rolex watches can be a good deal, but again, require a fair amount of time to located, verify, and purchase. There are used Rolex watch dealers out there, or you can use a range of online resources to purchase Rolex watches from existing owners. The problem is that these resources are mostly geared toward knowledgeable enthusiasts who know what they are looking for. Novices new to Rolex are going to find these resources more challenging, so we recommend going to a reputable pre-owned Rolex dealer. Alternatively, you can of course visit a new Rolex dealer for the most simple, but of course pricey experience.

Vintage Rolex watches exist in bounty, but can be marked by extremely high prices given their rarity. Also note that compared to today's average men's wrist watch size, vintage Rolex models tends to be quite small. In fact, today's average Rolex is of "moderate" size compared to other watches (though that fact is changing as Rolex steadily releases larger watches). Having said that, owning a good quality vintage sport or dress Rolex model can be very rewarding in both style and "cool" factor. Having a vintage Rolex Submariner for example is not only often less expensive than a brand new model, but is certainly more hip. They also aren't so small as to appear like ladies watches much of the time.

When looking for a Rolex to fit your lifestyle things get easier. For men we will identify three types of lifestyles or characters that Rolex watches will fit into nicely. First there are what we call "everyday casual sport watches." This represents most of the men's collection and are just that; sport watches that can be dressed up or down and are suitable for everyday wear. We will discuss the models we recommend in this range below. Next are office or formal watches. Rolex has a couple of product families that will serve you very well in a suit and tie. These watches are not inherently sporty, but are durable enough. From a style perspective they are attractive, timeless, and mature... but not really suitable for jeans or shorts much of the time. Having a dedicated "suit and tie" Rolex will make it better for an office environment, but it will lack the versatility of a sport model.

Last are the more "showy" Rolex watches. These are the more "blingy" versions with diamond decoration and/or fully made from precious metals such as 18k yellow, rose, or white gold... or platinum. These models exist in the other Rolex watch families, but are factory decorated by Rolex to be much more status symbols than a handsome everyday timepiece. Often times people who come into a lot of money, land a huge business deal, or simply want to show off wealth prefer a model such as this. Consumers should be careful when buying pre-owned in this category because many of them are aftermarket creations (such as diamond setting) versus those fully made by Rolex. Trust us that Rolex offers more than a generous selection of "factory" bling versions of their products. The options are staggering, with countless variations and levels of diamond decor mixed with different types of precious metal cases.

Models Available

Right off the bat we want to inform you that we are not going to discuss all Rolex watches available. That would be a very long and overly complex list. What we will do is discuss a survey of the model families and discuss some basic considerations in helping you to choose the right model to suit your needs. We also want to point out that both sport and dress watches from Rolex are available in precious metals and with diamond decoration. Of course the styles and designs vary, but getting a solid 18k gold Submariner with a diamond-studded bezel is more than available.

Rolex Sport Watches

The most versatile and thus popular watches are Rolex's sport watches. King of the hill is the Submariner with an average price of about $8,000. Available in a few styles and materials, your basic black Submariner model in steel is the go-to piece for the majority of Rolex lovers. The 40mm wide steel case is a good middle-ground size, and its style works well with anything from a tuxedo to a t-shirt. Immensely popular, the only bad thing we can say about the Submariner is that you won't be the only person in the room to have one. New or vintage, these are solid models.

Close to the style of the Submariner are related models such as the GMT-Master II (similar in appearance but with a second time zone hand), the Sea-Dweller Deepsea (a larger, more professional use dive watch), and the Yachtmaster (dressier version with a style between a dive watch and a dress watch). Think of these as offshoot models which vary the core theme but are all related by the same DNA. These are all good options as well and will have prices within a few thousand of your basic Submariner. In a nutshell, the Submariner is the most popular, and the others offer interesting, yet sometimes minor, variations that might suite your style and lifestyle better. None are inherently "better or worse" watches, and are worth a look to find the right size, material, and color for you.

Less expensive than the ultra popular Submariner are the Rolex Explorer and Explorer II models. Both in steel, one is 39mm wide (in its most modern forms) three-hand watch, while the other is a 42mm wide (in its most modern form) GMT model. These models make excellent starter Rolex watches because even new, their prices are relatively low ($5,000 - $7,000), but they are well-sized and good looking.

While not right for everyone, a perennial favorite among the "want to show I made it crowd" is the Rolex Daytona chronograph. At 40mm wide, this is Rolex's famous chronograph watch and it comes in a range of styles. Famously, the steel version of the Daytona was being sold for a premium over its retail price as it was so popular for a while. The Daytona is dressier than Rolex's other sport models but is still a very versatile timepiece. Compared to most other chronograph watches, the Daytona is a bit small, but certainly has a strong following. Its base price is more expensive than a Submariner.

Rolex Dress Watches

We mentioned that the Rolex Air King is the brand's entry level model and is a casual dress watch. However, we cannot easily recommend it for men because while Rolex considers it a men's model, at 34mm wide it is only suitable for boys. Women are much more likely to be seen wearing it. In fact, Rolex has been modernizing the sizes of its men's watches to fit the demands and expectations of today's male buyer. The majority of "older' men's watch sizes such as 36mm and below are primarily being purchase by women these days. We recommend men to look at Rolex watch sizes no smaller than 40mm wide.

While the Submariner was our top pick for a Rolex sport watch, the Datejust II is our top pick for a Rolex dress watch. Updated from 36mm wide to 41mm wide, the famous fluted bezel of the Datejust has been a hallmark of Rolex for decades. At first, the Datejust might seem stuffy and conservative, but it is a remarkably useful and good looking watch once you get to know it. In steel with a white gold bezel, its base price is about $9,000. Though in precious metals it can go way up in price. A perfect watch with a suit that combines a good style and the name you are looking for.

Not offered in steel and priced higher are the Rolex Day-Date II watches. These feature a day of the week complication and are otherwise similar to the Datejust models in size and style. The Day-Date II watch is also known as the Rolex "President" much of the time. These watches are certainly more showy and expensive given a lack of steel versions. It is a good watch for a middle-aged man who feels he can afford it without struggling with an average price of about $30,000.

While other potential Rolex dress watches exist, we like to focus on the Datejust II and Day-Date II as good 'first' Rolex watch models. Though in reality, most Rolex watches can be dress watches if the right version and attire are chosen. Also, note that in this entire article we do not mention average pre-owned prices or vintage watches for a reason. First, pre-owned popular Rolex watches often sell for prices close to retail. If not, then they aren't in good condition. Also, many vintage Rolex models are too small for us to recommend for most modern men, though there are lots of exceptions and personal taste is a factor. Furthermore, exploring vintage Rolex watches is often reserved for those who are aren't first-time Rolex buyers. Nevertheless, our panel of experts does offer some valuable advice below on looking at vintage Rolex pieces.

Life Of The Watch

As we mentioned earlier, a very important consideration to make is "what will the life of this watch be?" So consider if you want to keep the watch for life and wear it every day. Will it be just an occasional part of your collection? Are you interested in a watch that you can sell in a few years for a profit or at near purchase price? Each of these considerations will alter your choice of model.

For those wanting to wear the pieces every day, we recommend a popular sport model that is easily available. These will likely retain value, but aren't really going to increase in value. These will look good with most outfits and will be timeless in their appearance.

Value speculators are advised to look for rarer or niche Rolex models. A good example is the green bezel and dialed version of the new Submariner. It has a slight price premium over the black dialed model, and is produced in less numbers. It is also less classic looking and thus going to be in lower demand at this time. History has told us that such lower production, more niche Rolex watches tend to be collector's items in the future. Though how long into the future is anyone's guess.

People who want a Rolex watch for mostly special occasions should seek out their dressier or showier models in precious metals and perhaps with diamonds. These watches will be used as wealth and status symbols and thus don't need to go along with all types of outfits or occasions. Otherwise, you'll look like a South American drug lord wearing a diamond-encrusted gold Rolex in your workout clothes. On the flip side, a mere Rolex Submariner isn't likely to deliver the right message if you are trying to impress people at a high-society event or executive luncheon.

Hamilton Intra-matic
ETA 2892-2 Movement
38mm = $870
42mm = $945

For those looking for a slim, go to dress watch (with a vintage/classic look and feel) that can be worn almost anywhere, this is it and at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
Holy crap can you even bend your wrist?

Watch looks too tight.

Lol. I remember was trying to get it within the minimal focusing distance of the 50mm lens on my DSLR ( which is about 1.5 feet :\ ). It's an old photo. I'll take a better one in a bit. :lol:

EDIT: Here's a better pic I just took a few minutes ago. Watch is a little banged up now from daily use.

Last edited:
^ That Rolex post was nice.

Mine was around $1500 used; 1978 Oysterdate Precision in stainless steel.

Lots of people asking if it's fake though because I'm 18.
mean.gif

Anyone into or know more about Christopher Ward watches? Thinking of picking up a couple of pieces.

I am debating on one of these Hamiltion's for casual dress wear, just not sure which one, I have only been able to find the bottom one locally, to take a look at before I order off jomashop.com or authenticwatches.com, I wish I could find the top one at local Authorized Retailer, but I haven't been able to yet
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom