Psychologically, What Does Wearing Fakes or Grey Markets Really Say About A Person's Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember hender scheme getting laughed at, but they high end so what do you guys call them?......they are obviously knockoffs, arent they?

I agree with you, at this point in my life. However, when I was younger I definitely "collected" sneakers. As in I had a stock pile I didn't wear that I eventually intended to sell later on. This is why I still have an issue with fake/GM kicks. I don't care about the sneaker culture any more, but I used to, and this is one of the things that has ruined it.

You can have that NT General mindset of "dudes wear sneakers to impress other dudes" or "people still wear sneakers?", etc... Act like since you moved on from sneakers you are better than the younger cats who are still into it. But the one thing that brought most all of us to this site was our love for clothing and sneakers. The dudes that act like they are above that culture they used to willingly participate in are really the insecure ones. I think they despise what the sneaker culture has become and that they used to be a part of it.

And I'm not calling you out for acting like you are above others. But there a few lames on this board who say that kind of stuff constantly.
I don't understand this either, whats wrong with the "sneaker culture"?

I mean, I wouldn't say that anything is "wrong" with today's "sneaker culture". But it certainly has changed drastically over the years. I understand that it can be frustrating to people who have been in the culture for a long time and have been able to find what they want, for the price they want, with relative ease in the past. There's a lot of hoops to jump through nowadays and dealing with flakey buyers/sellers and fakes/GM makes it even worse. It's frustrating. That's why I stopped dealing with Nikes/Jordans. And I do think they're played out (in my mind at least) but that's because I've grown tired of all of it. But there is no reason for me to condemn the hobby when I know others are still enjoying it as I once did. It's just hilarious to me that all the people who seem to hate on sneaker culture were heavily ingrained in the culture themselves in the past. They mad that a hobby they love changed so much. It's understandable.

A wedding ring is a status symbol, in terms of sociology. Stripes and medals of valor are representations of the soldier's status. When you wear fakes or grey markets you're not only "cutting corners", you're demonstrating your disturbing need to "fit in", sadly somewhere you don't belong. 

People of status buy luxury brands because they can afford it especially if these brands represent their standard or lifestyle. It's a community. The question is not whether you can be in the room with the elite and dress like them, but what did you have to offer to their community? You're out of your league, and can't play ball with the big boys.

Last edited:
Over the years, lots, not even just celebrities, industry people who lurk, or research NT. As I've stated dozens of times, it would be petty to name drop. I simply don't need to. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

You do recognize the irony, right?

You casually mention how you bump into "celebrities" and they say you're cool, but when called on it, refuse to name who these "celebrities" are.

I'm not even trying to go at you, but you're over 30 right? And still posting irrelevant stuff on NT and take exception when called out? Really?

*edit* to answer your question, I don't feel anything about what clothing strangers choose to wear, especially when it doesn't affect me.

Last edited:
its the folks who have the real pair getting mad that they camped, paid resell, or traded something to get as much shine as the guy in the fakes....so naturally they are offended that they must point it out........can u imagine some nters if they saw a dude in fakes with a bad female?.....they would front on dude so hard just cause
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
yea cuz we al buy sneakers so we can get with females, that is every nters goal in life.

i mean in general i agree with you. i think if the person doesn't know they are fakes, they are playing themselves. but if they know it's fakes and it gives them enough utility for it to not be worth it to them to buy authentic...who am i to say they are clowning themselves?

know what i mean? im not saying you're wrong - but as im getting older i just don't care as much i guess lol
I don't really care either, but if im walking with my boys and we see some fugazi jump-offs ima point em out and laugh, cuz we are sneaker dudes and know better. Now chances are I wont go up to the person and take it to that level but who knows, maybe I feel like doing that at that particular moment

I mean, I wouldn't say that anything is "wrong" with today's "sneaker culture". But it certainly has changed drastically over the years. I understand that it can be frustrating to people who have been in the culture for a long time and have been able to find what they want, for the price they want, with relative ease in the past. There's a lot of hoops to jump through nowadays and dealing with flakey buyers/sellers and fakes/GM makes it even worse. It's frustrating. That's why I stopped dealing with Nikes/Jordans. And I do think they're played out (in my mind at least) but that's because I've grown tired of all of it. But there is no reason for me to condemn the hobby when I know others are still enjoying it as I once did. It's just hilarious to me that all the people who seem to hate on sneaker culture were heavily ingrained in the culture themselves in the past. They mad that a hobby they love changed so much. It's understandable.
well times change. back then things were a lot easier to get, but also certain items were actually a lot more limited then they are now. I scoff when a company says QS, back in the days QS would be 2-3 stores with 10 pair each and then you don't see that shoe ever again. even the bin jordans were numbered from 1-2000 depending on the model and the wing 12s they just dropped were numbered to 12000.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

yea cuz we al buy sneakers so we can get with females, that is every nters goal in life.
I don't really care either, but if im walking with my boys and we see some fugazi jump-offs ima point em out and laugh, cuz we are sneaker dudes and know better. Now chances are I wont go up to the person and take it to that level but who knows, maybe I feel like doing that at that particular moment
well times change. back then things were a lot easier to get, but also certain items were actually a lot more limited then they are now. I scoff when a company says QS, back in the days QS would be 2-3 stores with 10 pair each and then you don't see that shoe ever again. even the bin jordans were numbered from 1-2000 depending on the model and the wing 12s they just dropped were numbered to 12000.
i never said we cop to get chicks.....i said cats probably get heated when fugazi dude got a baddie and all they can get are real kicks.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i never said we cop to get chicks.....i said cats probably get heated when fugazi dude got a baddie and all they can get are real kicks.

This is the same lame, rampant mindset I see in NT General I mentioned before. You sound just as salty as the dudes you are calling salty. You don't see the irony in this?!

Last edited:
TBH, if you like them, wear it. New GMs are getting very, very close, and I'd say in two years I'll be rocking GM kicks when they're sold at rock bottom prices. I just hate the scammers.

Last edited:
You do recognize the irony, right?

You casually mention how you bump into "celebrities" and they say you're cool, but when called on it, refuse to name who these "celebrities" are.

I'm not even trying to go at you, but you're over 30 right? And still posting irrelevant stuff on NT and take exception when called out? Really?

*edit* to answer your question, I don't feel anything about what clothing strangers choose to wear, especially when it doesn't affect me.
It's not ironic at all.

I didn't casually mention anything, but you just solidified my statement. I live in New York, celebs ride the train, live in your neighborhoods, work in the same building as you. You see them everyday all the time. I know for people who live in boring states (no offense) it's hard for your to comprehend the frequency crazy stuff happens in one day. But it does.

It's not that I refuse to name these celebrities, to refuse would mean I feel pressured and demanded. I don't, I simply don't see the point, because we know if I do, and post "proof", it gets gerrymandered into "humble brag" accusations, "attention seeker" etc. I don't want to go down that road. I know who am in life, and know what I have going on in it. Look how you guys treat Ben Baller, Wale and Rob Kardashian...I'm nowhere near their level of stardom.

Again, I just like to post and chill, and just like this thread I'm REAL, nothing fugaze about me, ironically the ones worried about me, and making implications are the ones willing to rock fakes and cop grey markets.

laugh.gif

Last edited:

It's not ironic at all.

I didn't casually mention anything, but you just solidified my statement. I live in New York, celebs ride the train, live in your neighborhoods, work in the same building as you. You see them everyday all the time. I know for people who live in boring states (no offense) it's hard for your to comprehend the frequency crazy stuff happens in one day. But it does.

It's not that I refuse to name these celebrities, to refuse would mean I feel pressured and demanded. I don't, I simply don't see the point, because we know if I do, and post "proof", it gets gerrymandered into "humble brag" accusations, "attention seeker" etc. I don't want to go down that road. I know who am in life, and know what I have going on in it. Look how you guys treat Ben Baller, Wale and Rob Kardashian...I'm nowhere near their level of stardom.

Again, I just like to post and chill, and just like this thread I'm REAL, nothing fugaze about me, ironically the ones worried about me, are the ones willing to rock fakes and cop grey markets.

laugh.gif

i f wit your threads sir.....always some good banter

sure some folks take it more seriously than others, but thats how it goes on nt.

This is the rampant mindset I see in NT General I mentioned before. You sound just as salty as the dudes you are calling salty. You don't see the irony in this?!
no i dont

Since you don't see the irony let me explain.

You said
cats probably get heated when fugazi dude got a baddie and all they can get are real kicks.

You are making a baseless assumption when you say "all they can get are real kicks". It's ironic because you have made this mind set up of what the guy wearing real kicks thinks about someone else (while hypothetical; this was made up totally on your own), while stating you don't care about fakes at all. Also, you now have to additionally demean the person wearing real kicks by claiming they can't get a baddie themselves. It's clear you feel a certain way here...

You are no better than the "dudes wear shoes to impress other dudes" crowd. It's lame and corny. I don't understand why the personal insults need to be thrown at dudes involved in the sneaker culture. Plenty really chill guys that are smashing baddies that still rock sneakers and care about them being authentic. I'm one of them.

Last edited:
Fake it to you make it

It's not that deep for some, but some want it to look like they have more than they actually have. For some it's a self esteem thing. For some they might like a design, but aren't paying that much. There's different reasons.

Fake it to you make it

I truly hate this concept. A person can gain so much more popularity by demonstrating their frugality in obtaining the luxury brands they love. Wearing fakes makes you essentially fake. You have no love for anything, not the brand or yourself.

Consumerism is harmful to society imo. It low key encourages ungratefulness: yes, my ___ is nice, but the new ___ just came out and mine is inferior. America feasts on this notion.

"fake" shoes is definitely a first world problem. Take some "fakes" to underprivileged children anywhere in the world and see how they react. That's the hidden problem with luxury: once everyone has what they really need, let's make them feel inadequate by saying it's old, or it's fake.

Corporations exploit this ideal by using exclusivity as a tool. No way on hell should a shoe be 750 dollars.

Random, but I think there's a reason that dogs tend to chew up expensive items, that's their way of saying, this really isn't important, you don't need it.
Repped!

Psychologically, what does recording conversations of people speaking a foreign language because you think they're talking about you say about a person's character?

It's not ironic at all.

Again, I just like to post and chill, and just like this thread I'm REAL, nothing fugaze about me, ironically the ones worried about me, and making implications are the ones willing to rock fakes and cop grey markets.

:lol:  

My point is that mentioning "celebrities" you met in real life, and not saying who they are, is the adult equivalent of the "I know a secret but I can't tell you" **** kids do when they're 11.

Just to point out, you decided to mention "celebrities". You wrote:
"I've bumped into several celebs who've recognized me from NT and have told me I was a cool guy, and they don't know where the hate comes from."

You could have written:
"I've bumped into several people who've recognized me from NT and have told me I was a cool guy..." and the exact same point would have been conveyed.

But you didn't, you specifically, and intentionally decided to name drop without dropping names.

Would also like to know what your idea of a celebrity is.

Last edited:
Psychologically, what does recording conversations of people speaking a foreign language because you think they're talking about you say about a person's character?
Just for fun I'm gonna respond in a language only I can understand:

SWYgaXQgd2FzIGxlZ2FsIHRvIGJhc2ggeW91ciBza3VsbCBpbiB3aXRoIGEgZnVja2luZyBoYW1tZXIgZm9yIGFsbCBvZiBOVCB0byBzZWUsIEknbGwgZG8gaXQuWW91IHdvcnRobGVzcyBwaWVjZSBvZiBzaGl0LiA=

Salute, breh 
nthat.gif

Wondering what he would be recognized for tbh.

Any other source is corny? Like Amazon, consignment shops, second hand stores, eBay, etc?

Where do you acquire pre owned items?

I don't care what other people wear ftr. Unless it's funny, then I care.

Is that you in your avy? I browse NT every weekday, have seen you post on all of your SNs, and still have no clue what you look like :lol: I have no idea how a celebrity would recognize you outside of NT, let a lone someone who's on NT all the time.

I've had non-celebrities notice me in real life and it's creepy as hell. I don't see a celebrity reaching out like that, especially to someone who doesn't seem to post in the threads about shoes/clothing at all.

No disrespect but my life is very different than yours, I'm quite sure of this. People who just meet me end up apologizing for sizing me up as a liar, or exaggerator.  

Again, I can't really explain the intricacy of my life or how I end up in certain social circles. But trust me, on everything I love I've had well known celebs crack jokes like, "hey don't you be on Niketalk?"

It's not creepy at all, I've had a few non-celebrities notice me as well. It's truly no big deal. They're just people.

What's concerning to me is what type of life certain users lead to where they think that someone would lie about normal day-to-day stuff on a forum. They're either curious high-schoolers or grown *** introverts with no live skills or experience.

I just live life breh, honestly. I have bad days and good days. I'm far from rich, and don't live in luxury at all. In fact, I live in a regular New York apartment. 

I shop at thrift stores, and online. If I catch a pair of sneaks on eBay that I like, I'd cop em'. Living in NYC awards me accessibility to the Fashion District and sample sales. Flagship stores are giving away clothes for free they're so cheap. It's truly that simple. I think the problem with a lot of users is how they see themselves. So when I post something, to them, they have to question it, because of who THEY are. Not me.

Dude, I just asked if that was you in your avy. Because otherwise how would people recognize you? I don't really care about the rest of the stuff you typed it's irrelevant. I'm not accusing you of lying...I just don't understand how someone could possibly recognize you. How could they? What would they accuse you of lying about any way? I'm lost.

Also, don't worry, I'm not offended by you telling me you're quite sure your life is very different than mine. You don't even know me :lol: But tbh, we are probably in the same circle with a lot of the sneaker celebs because my best friend is deep in the fashion industry and I've met a lot of "celebrities" through him. We should link up next time I'm in NYC. PM me.

Dude, I just asked if that was you in your avy. Because otherwise how would people recognize you? I don't really care about the rest of the stuff you typed it's irrelevant. I'm not accusing you of lying...I just don't understand how someone could possibly recognize you. How could they? What would they accuse you of lying about any way? I'm lost.

Also, don't worry, I'm not offended by you telling me you're quite sure your life is very different than mine. You don't even know me :lol: But tbh, we are probably in the same circle with a lot of the sneaker celebs because my best friend is deep in the fashion industry and I've met a lot of "celebrities" through him. We should link up next time I'm in NYC. PM me.

I guess my question is going unanswered. Like dude said I was just curious. And if you wanna network my PM is still open...

^Is that you in your avy though? Stop ducking me :lol:

WHOSE MAN'S IS THIS?!

View media item 1991292
If you're gonna keep claiming you're not a fugazi will you just explain how the hell people even know who you are when they bump into you on the street?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom