R.I.P. John Wooden (October 14, 1910 – June 4, 2010) inspiration to many

frown.gif

I am glad that he is finally reunited with his wife. He loves her so much.

Johnwooden.jpg

Seth Davis' tweets say he might live a couple more days.

As a die hard college bball fan, this is crazy.

"Possible R.I.P. thread" , come on man. Could've worded that better.

tired.gif
if he's gone though, R.I.P.

Unreal body of work...
[table][tr][th=""]Career highlights[/th][/tr][tr][th=""]Overall[/th][td]664–162 (.804)[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Championships[/th][/tr][tr][td]As player:
*1932 National Championship
As coach:
*1964 NCAA National Championship
*1965 NCAA National Championship
*1967 NCAA National Championship
*1968 NCAA National Championship
*1969 NCAA National Championship
*1970 NCAA National Championship
*1971 NCAA National Championship
*1972 NCAA National Championship
*1973 NCAA National Championship
*1975 NCAA National Championship
Regional Championships – Final Four
(1962, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975)[/td][/tr][/table]

Wow.

He believed in hopelessly out-of-date stuff that never did anything but win championships. No dribbling behind the back or through the legs. "There's no need," he'd say. No UCLA basketball number was retired under his watch. "What about the fellows who wore that number before? Didn't they contribute to the team?" he'd say. No long hair, no facial hair. "They take too long to dry, and you could catch cold leaving the gym," he'd say.

That one drove his players bonkers. One day, All-America center Bill Walton showed up with a full beard. "It's my right," he insisted. Wooden asked if he believed that strongly. Walton said he did. "That's good, Bill," Coach said. "I admire people who have strong beliefs and stick by them, I really do. We're going to miss you." Walton shaved it right then and there. Now Walton calls once a week to tell Coach he loves him.

laugh.gif

john-wooden.jpg

Anyone who hasn't needs to check out some of the articles about him and his wife. It's really something... he loves her so much. I think it's definitely time for him to pass away, he wants to be with her so badly.

[font=helvetica,arial][/font]
[font=helvetica,arial]A Paragon Rising above the Madness [/font]
by Rick Reilly[table][tr][td] [/td][td] [font=helvetica,arial][/font][/td][/tr][/table]
On Tuesday the best man I know will do what he always does on the 21st of the month. He'll sit down and pen a love letter to his best girl. He'll say how much he misses her and loves her and can't wait to see her again. Then he'll fold it once, slide it in a little envelope and walk into his bedroom. He'll go to the stack of love letters sitting there on her pillow, untie the yellow ribbon, place the new one on top and tie the ribbon again.

The stack will be 180 letters high then, because Tuesday is 15 years to the day since Nellie, his beloved wife of 53 years, died. In her memory, he sleeps only on his half of the bed, only on his pillow, only on top of the sheets, never between, with just the old bedspread they shared to keep him warm.

frown.gif
embarassed.gif

The special they showed on CBS recently about him made me respect him so much more. And they had a special part about him and the love he has for his wife. It's amazing. I don't care how many wins any coach ever has. John Wooden will forever be THE BEST College coach of ALL TIME

as a ucla alum this is sooo sad. I'm just happy that Coach was able to save pauley from getting torn down (i personally think a new one would of been better and cheaper, but history is a big part of UCLA) and have HIS new stadium built...I just wish he could of seen the new one.

I will miss him greatly. Possibly one of the wisest (is that a word?) people on the planet. He has lived such a simple life but has had an impact on soooo many people, including myself. I've read some of his books and he has so much knowledge about simple yet effective things that its no wonder he was so successful .

When he passes I will definitely miss him. I'm hoping he somehow pulls through and makes it to 100 years however. He's so close to it. He does miss his Nelly dearly though so I think he is looking forward to seeing her again.

As a UCLA alum and life-long fan, I appreciate everything he did for our basketball program and I don't care what anyone accomplishes from here on out, he IS the greatest basketball coach of all time.

He's been fighting for a long time, and I admire that. From everything I heard from people that were lucky enough to speak with him, he seemed like the kind of guy you really want to sit down and talk to for ten minutes. Godspeed Coach.

His first coaching job was at the high school I went to, i'm pretty sure it was the only time he ever had a losing record.

R.I.P.
tired.gif

frown.gif
Sad moment for all of sports, college basketball fans especially. 

frown.gif

RIP John Wooden. Thank you for everything you have done for the game of basketball. You will be sincerely missed.

Back
Top Bottom