R.I.P. John Wooden (October 14, 1910 – June 4, 2010) inspiration to many

i'm glad he gets to see his wife again ... i know wherever people pass on, she is waiting for him ...

edit ...

Wooden met his future wife, Nellie Riley, at a carnival in July 1926.[sup][18][/sup] They married in a small ceremony in Indianapolis in August 1932. Afterwards, they attended a Mills Brothers concert at the Circle Theatre to celebrate.[sup][19][/sup] John and his wife had a son, James Hugh Wooden, and a daughter, Nancy Anne Muehlhausen.[sup][2][/sup] Nellie died on March 21, 1985[sup][2][/sup] from cancer.[sup][20][/sup]

Wooden has remained devoted to Nellie, even decades after her death.Since her death, he has kept to a monthly ritual (health permitting)—onthe 21st, he visits her grave, and then writes a love letter to her.After completing the letter, he places it in an envelope and adds it toa stack of similar letters that has accumulated over the years on thepillow she slept on during their life together.[sup][21][/sup]

In mourning Nellie's death, Wooden has been comforted by his faith.[sup][22][/sup]He has been a Christian for many years and his beliefs are moreimportant to him than basketball, "I have always tried to make it clearthat basketball is not the ultimate. It is of small importance incomparison to the total life we live. There is only one kind of lifethat truly wins, and that is the one that places faith in the hands ofthe Savior."[sup][23][/sup] Wooden's faith has strongly influenced his life. He reads the Bible daily and attends the First Christian Church.[sup][22][/sup]He has said that he hopes his faith is apparent to others, "If I wereever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enoughevidence to convict me."[sup][24][/sup]

frown.gif

Sad, but he lived a long and prosperous life.

One of the most accomplished coaches in any sport on any level, period.

Originally Posted by toine2983

JapanAir21 wrote:

He hasn't passed yet, has he?
nerd.gif

according to the ucla hoops beat writter he is still going....but most news sources have said that his is not supposed to make it thru the weekend.
tired.gif

I was raised on this dude's beliefs since my Dad believes in him as a life coach.  For real, he taught me so many weird things that Wooden would say but they were all such good lessons.  Crazy, this dude did it the right way... Much love and respect, the greatest coach to ever live.

I grew up hating UCLA but I always respected what this man accomplished in the game. Definition of greatness

His video with the Pyramid Scheme is probably the most influential video that made the biggest impact in my life.....Respect and RIP.

i honestly didn't know much about him, yet always knew about his monumental impact on the game

his legend will live on

Feeling tired
By the fire
The long day is over

The wind is gone
Asleep at dawn
The embers burn on

With no reprise
The sun will rise
The long day is over

Back
Top Bottom