Ralph Lauren struggling?

The striped joints are timeless.

Polo tees and sweats are timeless too.

Some Polo Sport/RLX stuff is fly.

Other than that I can see why they are struggling, you don't really see it as much as you used to.

when i was in high school all the kids were wearing polo now its amereican eagle or abercrombie 
sick.gif
 all the youngin's are wearing...

I used to rock a Polo shirt everyday when I worked at TJ Maxx in high school, had like 12 different colors all acquired for less than $20 (I had my scumbag days :smh:)

That was 6 years ago, I haven't bought anything by Ralph Lauren since. The Rugbys were my favorite, but those are gone now. I buy my polo shirts for work from Target or Marshalls now. I'm pretty much done buying designer clothing.

when i was in high school all the kids were wearing polo now its amereican eagle or abercrombie :x  all the youngin's are wearing...

Similar aesthetic and branding elements...1/4 the price....I don't blame em.

Polo really has no appealing pieces right now. They sloppily threw the trendy gradient color scheme on their classic items and they have some paint splattered button ups that are pretty meh for $100.

Their current stuff in very uninspiring and overpriced for the most part.

Last edited:
when i was in high school all the kids were wearing polo now its amereican eagle or abercrombie :x  all the youngin's are wearing...

Kids are still wearing abercrombie? It was popular when I was in middle school and high school 1997-2003. I thought their spinoff brand hollister got more popular. I bet parents are happy they like american eagle stuff which isn't too expensive.

Hopefully RL's decline will lead to RRL having a 50% off sale.

Yeah, rrl is the only stuff I check for. 3sixteen and rogue territory have better prices though.

Kids are still wearing abercrombie? It was popular when I was in middle school and high school 1997-2003. I thought their spinoff brand hollister got more popular. I bet parents are happy they like american eagle stuff which isn't too expensive.

Yeah, rrl is the only stuff I check for. 3sixteen and rogue territory have better prices though.
Kids in NYC aren't wearing Abercrombie and American eagle. Haven't seen a kid wear that in years.

Ralph Lauren closing stores as sales slump

Ralph Lauren is closing stores, cutting jobs and focusing more on its most popular brands to try to reverse its declining fortunes.

Shares of the fashion company tumbled 4 percent Tuesday.

The changes are the first big moves from CEO Stefan Larsson, who replaced company founder Ralph Lauren in the role late last year. Lauren is still executive chairman and chief creative officer of the fashion and home decor business he created.

The New York-based company, known for its polo shirts and pony logo, plans to close more than 50 stores, or about 10 percent of its total retail stores. It will cut about 8 percent, or 1,200, of its 15,000 full-time employee.

It will focus more on its three best-selling brands -- Ralph Lauren, Polo and Lauren -- and devote fewer resources to its smaller ones, such as Chaps and RLX. The company also hopes to produce its clothing faster, cutting six months from the production process to make it nine months.

Ralph Lauren expects the restructuring to save it between $180 million and $220 million a year. That's on top of $125 million in cost cuts from last year. It expects to incur restructuring charges of up to $400 million for the year and inventory-related charges of up to $150 million.

For the current quarter, it expects revenue to fall in the mid-single digits and fall in the low double digits for the year.

Shares of Ralph Lauren Corp. (RL) fell $4.12, or 4.3 percent, to $92.21 in morning trading Tuesday. Its shares are down about 30 percent in the last year.

Ralph Lauren's Revamp Plan Is Going Old School

If you liked those Ralph Lauren cotton board shorts stenciled to look like World War II duffel bags, you'd better rush out and buy a pair while you still can.

After three years of disappointing results, Ralph Lauren Corp. is doubling down on clothes that made the designer famous in the first place. That means a greater focus on such items as polo shirts, wool pants, double-breasted jackets, and navy blazers. Less so everything else.

In a two-hour presentation to analysts and investors on Tuesday, executives at the New York-based fashion company said they had neglected its strongest brands, fumbled on marketing, and failed to properly manage inventory. Now Ralph Lauren is closing more than 50 stores and eliminating 1,000 full-time corporate and retail jobs. The company has shed more than half its market value since 2013.

"Yes, did we drop the ball? Did we make some things wrong? Absolutely," said Lauren, the 76-year-old Bronx, N.Y., native who founded the label 49 years ago as a seller of neckties. "Am I happy about it? No."

Spearheading the revamp is Stefan Larsson, 41, a former executive from H&M and Old Navy who took over for Lauren as chief executive officer late last year. "We have all the cards," said Larsson. "But we need to play the cards in a different way."

Three brands will now take priority at Ralph Lauren: Polo, Lauren, and the namesake label. Executives used the word "iconic" dozens of times and spent almost 20 minutes flashing vintage photos of the designer and his family from the old days, just to drive the message home.

At Ralph Lauren, 30 percent of its styles make up 70 percent of the business, said Valerie Hermann, the retailer's global brand president for women's luxury. That number is even higher among luxury goods. The hottest top-end items are older clothes that continue to sell well. Unproductive styles make up 65 percent of its offerings. As a result, Ralph Lauren has cut them back by one-third over the past six months.

The changes mean Ralph Lauren will take a hit in the coming months. The company predicted a low double-digit drop in sales in fiscal 2017 as it gets rid of excess inventory, tweaks its merchandising strategy, and restructures the organization. Shares fell as much as 10 percent after the announcement.

Larsson, the first CEO who isn't Ralph Lauren himself, built his career selling cheap, disposable fashions. Now he's using that expertise to streamline Ralph Lauren and cut costs. Its eponymous founder will remain with the company as a top executive.

Ralph Lauren will still create new collections every season in search of future bestsellers, trying to find styles that can withstand shifting trends. Hermann singled out a few she hopes will catch on next spring, such as peacoats, nautical sweaters, and cargo pants. Then there are the more fashion-forward clothes that serve a different purpose—one Hermann said the retailer shouldn't jettison.

You need "some styles which are building brand equity, which are financially less productive but making you dream," said Hermann. "You come in the store because of that."

Last edited:

Kids in NYC aren't wearing Abercrombie and American eagle. Haven't seen a kid wear that in years.

What brands are they wearing now? I don't look at kids to notice.

Where do you live? Haven't seen either one of those brands being popular since like 06-07.

Half of the younger generation now is wearing joggers and those strange elongated tees now :lol: But eventually that will fade.

Nobody out here wears Abercrombie or Amerixan Eagle. Hell you don't see Holluster anymore either

Yeah, i'll be checking out girls' instagrams and a lot of them have american eagle jeans on. They look good in them too. Kinda weird that my jeans are way more expensive.

Where do you live? Haven't seen either one of those brands being popular since like 06-07.

Half of the younger generation now is wearing joggers and those strange elongated tees now :lol: But eventually that will fade.

Right. I was wondering if I read that correctly :lol:.

Most kids rock H&M & Zara these days....as well as stuff from Pac sun and designer clothes.

An RL polo will always be classic. Cardigans, dress shirts, low key items.

Rappers ain't rapping about Polo anymore. Its not the thing to have anymore.

So obviously if its not poplar in current culture trends, its going to take a hit.

Back
Top Bottom