RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

ASAP's entire aesthetic came from SpaceGhostPurrp. They bought him into the crew, borrowed his style, then discarded of him.

And SpaceghostPurrp borrowed his style from 3-6 mafia/Memphis and Miami Bass.

ASAP Mob ALWAYS pay homage. They've shouted out Pimp, UGK, Bone Thugs, they even pay NY homage.

ASAP Nast has a dope song with Method Man. They're one of the few acts who pay homage and know Hip Hop history.

Dave east be going in ...everything else coming out of NYC right now is trying to sound like somebody else ( but worse ) or it's not good but the city trying find somebody to rally around

Listening to that Dave n game track right now :pimp:

Have ya'll ****** listened to A$AP since their first projects? their sound has evolved even more & is distinctly theirs.

Yes, and their best projects are still the first Rocky tape and their lone group tape

^ Trap Lord was NY beats and a fresh sound? Y'all smart, y'all know that was 3-6 all day.

You know what, I actually overlooked that in his post. I read it as "a fresh spin on an old sound" :lol:.

Spaceghostpurrp needs to fix whatever personal problems had has and get back to making dope beats. I listened to some of his recent stuff and it's atrocious. You know things are bad when you disable the comments on datpiff

Last edited:
Also Hyphy music is weak. I dont mess with Bay Area rap at all. Ppl wanna discredit NY so bad they brought that ******** up :smh:

You are missing the point entirely. That's what happens when dudes can't respond without being defensive. Nobody is discrediting NY.

Hyphy, and the other "movements" were brought up to illustrate the point that other regions and cities have come up with new sounds in hip hop. This essentially pushes a few artist forward and propels them to star levels...and strengthens the regional sound.

All I'm saying is NY would benefit having a unified movement and sound like they did in the 90s. This takes dope producers, fresh new rappers, and unity. Look at how the other regions I listed got their sounds popping.

All of these ingredients are there. This ain't about "NYC basing"....this is about suggestions on how one of the most historic cities to hip hop, can get back on track.

How ASAP Mob,s sound refreshing.There a mash up of old 3-6 mafia and Houston sound,with a New York style of clothing.Its probably refreshing to the younger generation that didn't grow up on the old Memphis and Houston sound.Thats why it's funny hearing New Yorkers say they where refreshing,and something new.Do y'all know what year 3-6 mafia (Chapter 2:World Domination) came out.The production on that album from Dj Paul and Juicy J (very close friends with Pimp C) birthed the style of what's popular right now.That album run circles around what ASAP Mob is doing,or ever did.They can't really bite the UGK/8ball & MJG style that good.Because that slow pimp reality rap is hard to duplicate.And people would see right through it.So they bit the SUC/SwishaHouse style which was easier to do.There come up.Was because they mixed Memphis with Houston rap.But dressed up like a East Coast person.Nothing about there sound is original.Unless if your 25 and below.I know this sounds like a broken record.But the new Ny sound is still around.Yalls rappers need to stop beefing and make the sound mainstream.Its what Max B and French was doing years ago.Its what Camron and Dipset was doing.Its what G-unit was doing.If both of those groups never beef within there own circle.Then recruit younger rappers to carry there sound.Then add new elements to there sound and style.Then Ny would be neck and neck with the South right now.I remember when I first heard Max and French together after Max left Birdgang.I let one of my cousins hear a few of there songs.Now remember.Hes not a East Coast fan in Rap music.But he told me them cats are going to blow if they stay out of trouble.He was like it sounds different,but it still has a Ny sound.It was Dipsets sound,but it was slowed down a little bit.The samples was still there.But the sample being slowed just a little.Made it unique.That was Dame Grease.Harry Frauds is similar.Thats why French is still winning.

Trap isn't new.If it wasn't for 3-6,trap or drill wouldn't exist today.Nobody will ever change my opinion about that.You can change the name to Crunk,Trap,Drill all you want.Its just minor sound changing,and different packaging.Its basically all the same.Its just different rappers from different regions remixing it in there own way.Juicy j is flourishing right right now.Because he created the sound with Dj Paul.Thats why he still winning out here.All the Youngstas want beats from him.Trap is dominating right now.So he's taking advantage of the moment.Its a good thing to see.After seeing the a East Coast **** on the South in 90,s.When the South was doing there own thing.Now the whole world wanna sound like.Or take elements from the South.Which is crazy,if you think about how that sound has been on the underground scene in the South for years.

^ Trap Lord was NY beats and a fresh sound? Y'all smart, y'all know that was 3-6 all day.

Some songs had an NY sound, some of them you could hear that 3 6 and No Limit influence. I'm cool with it.

I'm not sure about the new Rock or the new Ferg though. Those albums were a new sound and Ferg's album was one of the worst this year. Happy as hell I downloaded it first. Basura

How ASAP Mob,s sound refreshing.There a mash up of old 3-6 mafia and Houston sound,with a New York style of clothing.Its probably refreshing to the younger generation that didn't grow up on the old Memphis and Houston sound.Thats why it's funny hearing New Yorkers say they where refreshing,and something new.Do y'all know what year 3-6 mafia (Chapter 2:World Domination) came out.The production on that album from Dj Paul and Juicy J (very close friends with Pimp C) birthed the style of what's popular right now.That album run circles around what ASAP Mob is doing,or ever did.They can't really bite the UGK/8ball & MJG style that good.Because that slow pimp reality rap is hard to duplicate.And people would see right through it.So they bit the SUC/SwishaHouse style which was easier to do.There come up.Was because they mixed Memphis with Houston rap.But dressed up like a East Coast person.Nothing about there sound is original.Unless if your 25 and below.I know this sounds like a broken record.But the new Ny sound is still around.Yalls rappers need to stop beefing and make the sound mainstream.Its what Max B and French was doing years ago.Its what Camron and Dipset was doing.Its what G-unit was doing.If both of those groups never beef within there own circle.Then recruit younger rappers to carry there sound.Then add new elements to there sound and style.Then Ny would be neck and neck with the South right now.I remember when I first heard Max and French together after Max left Birdgang.I let one of my cousins hear a few of there songs.Now remember.Hes not a East Coast fan in Rap music.But he told me them cats are going to blow if they stay out of trouble.He was like it sounds different,but it still has a Ny sound.It was Dipsets sound,but it was slowed down a little bit.The samples was still there.But the sample being slowed just a little.Made it unique.That was Dame Grease.Harry Frauds is similar.Thats why French is still winning.

Been listening to Three 6 since 94, Swishahouse since their inception, and damn near every S.U.C. member for as long as I can remember, and it's a very refreshing sound, especially in relation to a lot of the other music coming out of NY during that time. They do a very good job of blending all those elements you just mentioned. Not a knock on them (especially since they're younger), but they actually do a better job of re-creating that sound than DJ Paul & Lord Infamous' own kids, who most definitely grew up with that sound. ASAP Mob's whole movement feels organic, which is why I'm a big fan of theirs. They seem like they grew up listening to that type of music, and though the music they make isn't as good as those past sounds (sequels are rarely ever better than the originals anyway), they do a damn good job of re-creating it. It doesn't sound like they were put in a room with a bunch of laptops on youtube and tried studying it, then go to the studio. Drake & Post Malone are the artists right off top who sound that way.

Don Q (From A Boogie camp) just dropped a new project with Don Cannon. I like the way these two are moving, seems like they have some proper management and our really trying to build on a wave. Drake has caught notice, so im sure that buzz will keep growing.

http://piff.me/8c93ae6

Last edited:
They seem like they grew up listening to that type of music, and though the music they make isn't as good as those past sounds (sequels are rarely ever better than the originals anyway), they do a damn good job of re-creating it. It doesn't sound like they were put in a room with a bunch of laptops on youtube and tried studying it, then go to the studio. Drake & Post Malone are the artists right off top who sound that way.
I spoke on this in the RIP Yams thread back then but this is essentially what happened, according to Yams at least. 

There's a unreleased interview Yams did, I think with Montreality, were he was kinda ****** up and being candid. Interview was out for a few hours and then Yams had them take it down but they re-released when he died (I think they ended up taking it down for good because everybody pressed them about putting it back out against his wishes). 

Basically Yams said he didn't know Rocky but they had a mutual friend in Bari. Rocky was going to college in Alabama and would constantly be hitting him up telling him he tryna work etc when he got back to NYC.

In a round about way he said these dudes didn't really know **** about Memphis/Houston music like that but he pretty much told them that the Memphis/Houston underground **** was the next wave and if he wanted to work he needed to ditch his current sound and he was gonna help curate a new one. He literally said he gave him a laundry list of Memphis/Houston classics to listen to and study while he worked with him on different schemes, flows, etc. I'm willing to bet this played a part in why he wanted it taken down, Rocky had already been in interviews telling people he grew up on UGK, 3-6, etc on some "I can't help but sound like this" type **** 
laugh.gif

Don Q (From A Boogie camp) just dropped a new project with Don Cannon. I like the way these two are moving, seems like they have some proper management and our really trying to build on a wave. Drake has caught notice, so im sure that buzz will keep growing.

http://piff.me/8c93ae6
Still don't see why these _'s be so quick to run to a Major.

One thing with Atlantic is they really try and leverage their resources, get their artists together, etc. Cannon already works with Atlantic so that's a no brainer.

Y'all gonna see these _'s with Thug or Uzi soon 
laugh.gif

Edit: Damn A Boogie and Uzi already did a show together in CT last week 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Still don't see why these _'s be so quick to run to a Major.

I ask this question all the time. Based on the sheer economics of it.

But in reality, you get brought in, they roll out the red carpet for you, show you what "could be". I can understand the allure.

Is a major not necessary for you to make it to that NEXT level?

In terms of using their money and relationships to create visibility?

Legit asking because I don't know.

I know Chance is doing big things but Jason Geter was on Brilliant Idiots saying he had big people behind him.

Seems like to me you can have the majority of a small or medium sized pie independently or 1/4 or a little less than half of a huge pie on a major.

I personally think that it's all on how the artist want his career to go. Although you do see more money independently there's also a lot of money that goes into doing that. I also think artist are realistic with themselves and have to gage their fanbase. In a Boogie's case I see him more as an artist who can make catchy songs and can be successful in the mainstream. As oppse to an Artist Like Joy Bad***** who might not have much radio success but his fanbase is huge and loyal, regardless of what the wave is in the game he can continue to do his sound and tour.

some artist styles are just better suited to be pushed by a machine.

Is a major not necessary for you to make it to that NEXT level?

In terms of using their money and relationships to create visibility?

Legit asking because I don't know.

I know Chance is doing big things but Jason Geter was on Brilliant Idiots saying he had big people behind him.

Seems like to me you can have the majority of a small or medium sized pie independently or 1/4 or a little less than half of a huge pie on a major.

You can have "big people" behind you without being on a major.

Joey Badass has a good deal because he's on an indie (Cinematic) which is distributed by RED, which is a SONY company.

RED has a promo staff that you can activate if you want to. So when he has a record like "Devastated", they know what to do with it.

But it's just a service for hire. You cut a check, they work it. You decide how much you want to give them to spend on top of that.

Then they reap the benefits beyond that as distributor.

Last edited:
You can have "big people" behind you without being on a major.
Could you expound on the type of people he has behind him?

I'm working with a homie trying to get in and the knowledge would be appreciated.

I know he has Apple Music who might be as good as a label now that streaming is kind of taking over.

I honestly don't know when it comes to Chance. But Jason himself is a good example.

There are plenty of experienced professionals in the music business who aren't at major labels. Who can be hired. You do need to have someone to help you navigate that. A guy like Jason would be a good example.

Drake for instance. When he had "Best I Ever Had", the HipHopSince82 crew put together a team to take that to radio before the deal with Universal got done. A good friend of mine was a part of that.

So you have to know what you have and be willing to invest in it. But if you're already making $$$ from shows, streams etc. And you see a record is moving via those shows + streams, investing in it shouldn't be out of the question.

Major Lazer "Lean On" was a #1 Pop record last year on an independent. Mad Decent.

Last edited:

I spoke on this in the RIP Yams thread back then but this is essentially what happened, according to Yams at least. 

There's a unreleased interview Yams did, I think with Montreality, were he was kinda ****** up and being candid. Interview was out for a few hours and then Yams had them take it down but they re-released when he died (I think they ended up taking it down for good because everybody pressed them about putting it back out against his wishes). 

Basically Yams said he didn't know Rocky but they had a mutual friend in Bari. Rocky was going to college in Alabama and would constantly be hitting him up telling him he tryna work etc when he got back to NYC.

In a round about way he said these dudes didn't really know **** about Memphis/Houston music like that but he pretty much told them that the Memphis/Houston underground **** was the next wave and if he wanted to work he needed to ditch his current sound and he was gonna help curate a new one. He literally said he gave him a laundry list of Memphis/Houston classics to listen to and study while he worked with him on different schemes, flows, etc. I'm willing to bet this played a part in why he wanted it taken down, Rocky had already been in interviews telling people he grew up on UGK, 3-6, etc on some "I can't help but sound like this" type **** :lol:  

Really doe

sass2.png

Drake for instance. When he had "Best I Ever Had", the HipHopSince82 crew put together a team to take that to radio before the deal with Universal got done. A good friend of mine was a part of that.

So you have to know what you have and be willing to invest in it. But if you're already making $$$ from shows, streams etc. And you see a record is moving via those shows + streams, investing in it shouldn't be out of the question.

Major Lazer "Lean On" was a #1 Pop record last year on an independent. Mad Decent.
Exactly and that's the biggest thing with a lot of these dudes.

Last edited:

In a round about way he said these dudes didn't really know **** about Memphis/Houston music like that but he pretty much told them that the Memphis/Houston underground **** was the next wave and if he wanted to work he needed to ditch his current sound and he was gonna help curate a new one. He literally said he gave him a laundry list of Memphis/Houston classics to listen to and study while he worked with him on different schemes, flows, etc. I'm willing to bet this played a part in why he wanted it taken down, Rocky had already been in interviews telling people he grew up on UGK, 3-6, etc on some "I can't help but sound like this" type **** :lol:  

Link to the vid?

It's gone. They took it down again, a lot of _'s was hitting them up mad because Yams didn't want it out there.

He kinda spoke on it a lil bit in this Passion Weiss interview from 2012 (also unreleased until he died), he didn't go into as much detail tho:
How did your influence helped shape Rocky’s sound?

When I first met him, he sounded like Kid Cudi mixed with Lil Wayne. If I was a rapper, I’d be the illest ************ alive, swagging like a ************. So I took all my inspirations that I wanted to see in a rapper and molded it into Rocky. All that **** was premeditated. A year ago [2011], before all that **** happened, I was like Rocky, ‘you gotta listen to that Houston ****, this is the wave.’ He started listening to it and started naturally getting influenced by that ****.

He used to sound more like a stoner rapper and I was like not trying to hear that **** — not trying to hear about ************* getting high and smoking doobies. I was trying to hear some trill **** and you can see the influence.

If you watch the “Get High” video, you can see the Kid Cudi influence. What I did was mold the new influences and market him on some brand new ****. I tell everyone before they make it: find your swag and your sound.

Once we had that down pat, it was a matter of trial and error for two years, until we felt comfortable putting some **** out. The way people approach the Internet, they tweet their music and spam you. That’s not the way to do it. You’ve got to package your product confidently.

Last edited:
This dude Yams really was the mastermind behind them man. Dude understood the Internet age at a master level. Brilliant.

Heard he used to intern for Dipset back in the day or something too. RIP to him. Seemed like a cool dude.

Back
Top Bottom