RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

People still claim asap rocky makes Texas music which is utter bullcrap. DJ mustard had nothing to do with YG's second album which is a damn near classic. You talking about hyphy when that's the bay **** has nothing to do with LA. Kendrick Lamar who is the best rapper out hands down doesn't have one ounce of Southern influence in his music at all his **** is straight g funk 90's West coast influenced. Yall pick and choose who yall want to hate on

Hyphy is still west coast. A new sound. Mustard sound is influenced by hyphy sounds. And was a new sound that dominated, and put the west up front. YG isn't YG without mustard. And Mustard produced almost all of YG's first album (one of the better ones of this decade). Kendrick is influenced by 3stacks and Wayne. But him and TDE brought a NEW SOUND with them.

Idk why it's so hard for NYC to realize y'all need to be innovative again? It worked for ASAP. Now make it work for other artist. Form a new sound and run with it together.

The way the South, West and Midwest did. NYC/East coast is the only region to not produce a new sound recently. All of the other regions brought something NEW to the table.

Step back and take an outside look from a non New Yorker.

People still claim asap rocky makes Texas music which is utter bullcrap. DJ mustard had nothing to do with YG's second album which is a damn near classic. You talking about hyphy when that's the bay **** has nothing to do with LA. Kendrick Lamar who is the best rapper out hands down doesn't have one ounce of Southern influence in his music at all his **** is straight g funk 90's West coast influenced. Yall pick and choose who yall want to hate on

1375798860_KDot_C4-front-large.jpg

T.I., OutKast, Goodie Mob, Scarface, UGK, J. Cole, Clipse, Pre-2008 Wayne, Little Brother, Kevin Gates, David Banner don't be saying **** at all?

The fact that we've controlled the last 20 years production wise is just a cherry on top.

If you aren't educated on a topic just ask questions man.

Please. 90% of your list is the equivalent to me naming people like havoc, large professor, Pete rock, rza, preme, etc. What does those people have to do with today? Absolutely nothing. Yall living in the past just like we are. Only difference is that the producers out now get love in the clubs but nothing classic or substantial is coming out the south.

Last edited:
Please. 90% of your list is the equivalent to me naming people like havoc, large professor, Pete rock, rza, preme, etc. What does those people have to do with today? Absolutely nothing. Yall living in the past just like we are. Only difference is that the producers out now get love in the clubs but nothing classic or substantial is coming out the south.

T.I.
Kevin Gates
Kodak
Pusha T
Big KRIT
Nick Grant
J. Cole

Still out here being lyrical and from the South. That's more than any other region I can name off top.

Last edited:
so now Pusha T and J Cole are from the south :lol:

They BEEN from the south. Pusha been claiming the south. J Cole too.

How many times I gotta post Bun B for president :lol:. Y'all ever met or been to Fayetville, NC? Newport News, VA?

So now Virginia isn't the South?

So now Cole doesn't shout out Fayettenam and Carolina every chance he gets?

You don't gotta rap over Zay or Metro beats to be from the South. All different flavors and styles.

That mentality that you gotta have one sound to be considered from somewhere is why your city has been in its musical predicament for so long.

Also I forgot KRIT on that list. :pimp:

So now Virginia isn't the South?

So now Cole doesn't shout out Fayettenam and Carolina every chance he gets?

You don't gotta rap over Zay or Metro beats to be from the South. All different flavors and styles.

That mentality that you gotta have one sound to be considered from somewhere is why your city has been in its musical predicament for so long.

Also I forgot KRIT on that list. :pimp:

Yup:

J. Cole]
"Below that Mason Dixon my residence
Dirty South Confederate
Ay we should hold election's I say Bun B for President
He represent them Real ******
TX to ATL to NC yea them Ville ******"

Saying Cole and Pusha aren't from the south because they have "east coast/ny" influences in their music is like saying ASAP or French Montana NYC rappers.

Last edited:
I think what area you rep and what style of music you make are two different things. Sub-genres based on regions certainly exist. I don't think it's as simple as saying "_____ is from _____, therefore _____is a _____ rapper". 

For example, would you consider DJ Premier a "southern" producer?

Last edited:
The south ain't come up with **** new. It's the same garbage it's ever been. "Crunk" evolved to "trap" dudes went from talking about getting low to selling drugs only thing that changed. LA is always gonna be LA YG's albums sound like classic West from the 90's and nobody criticizes because no one hates on LA. Everybody got NYC balls in they mouth

Disagree. LA and the west coast in general was Dormant for much of the 2000's, save for Game. What did they do? Invent NEW sounds. Hyphy. Then the mustard sound. And TDE

While YG's albums have a classic LA feel, they are based in Mustard's sound. Which is a mix of Bay, LA and southern type production. They came up with something NEW.

The same way the south evolved. NYC had yet to do it. So either NYC is biting the south (see Desiigner) or rapping on 90s hallway beats.

A$AP Mob is really the only act to bring something entirely fresh to the table recently. NYC needs better producers. I don't understand why more dudes don't work with Harry Fraud

This. Harry Fraud is an amazing producer and should be getting way more looks than he does.

Disagree. LA and the west coast in general was Dormant for much of the 2000's, save for Game. What did they do? Invent NEW sounds. Hyphy. Then the mustard sound. And TDE

This whole post is all over the place and a mess, I don't even know where to start

T.I.
Kevin Gates
Kodak
Pusha T
Nick Grant
J. Cole

Still out here being lyrical and from the South. That's more than any other region I can name off top.

Ummmm....yes

I think what area you rep and what style of music you make are two different things. Sub-genres based on regions certainly exist. I don't think it's as simple as saying "_____ is from _____, therefore _____is a _____ rapper". 

For example, would you consider DJ Premier a "southern" producer?

Premier is East Coast as far as I'm concerned. He's unique in that he was one of the pioneers of that distinct east coast hip hop sound we all love. Similar to The DOC being from Texas, but being a pioneer with west coast gangsta rap.

It was a lil different back then. I don't even really think Cole and Pusha make region specific music. They're just dope lyrisct. I know Cole used to rap about having an "ny flow"....and part of that may have been some of his influences, and him living in NYC for college. But he's versatile in that he can rap over a lot of different productions.

Pusha came into the game with Pharrell and the Neptunes...who's sound was so different and not regionally specific.

J. Cole isn't from NYC, he's from NC. When he attended SJU, he was living in Queens but nobody from Queens considers him to be one of us (except for some of his idiotic female fans from Queens who desperately want to make him a New Yorker). Premo has lived in NYC long enough to be a New Yorker but he's really from Texas. He still has a bit of the accent too. His production has influenced and inspired the East Coast though.

So did Waka...but I'm sure ya'll don't claim him.

Again...these things aren't exact sciences. 

Waka moved to ATL when he was 8. He reps ATL. He makes mostly southern music. When he's in NY, he reps NY.

Funny how his accent switches up depending on where he is though. When Waka first came out, he was going hard with the ATL accent and lingo :lol:. Sht be sounding forced when he in NY talking about "b this and that"

Harry Fraud makes French listenable, to the point I wish he should stop wasting beats on him

Funny how Pusha T and J Cole from the south now :lol:

When I bring up how people like Phonte and Pusha T have lyrics and should be praised, instead of the wack rappers. They aren't from the south. Now, based on the argument it's the south.

BTW, Pusha T was born in the BX.

Last edited:
Harry Fraud makes French listenable, to the point I wish he should stop wasting beats on him

Funny how Pusha T and J Cole from the south now :lol:

When I bring up how people like Phonte and Pusha T have lyrics and should be praised, instead of the wack rappers. They aren't from the south. Now, based on the argument it's the south.

BTW, Pusha T was born in the BX.

Pusha T and J.Cole due have NY influence, but whole-heartedly rep NC and VA and have been doing that from day one. Same thing with Little Brother. Waka Flocka was born in Queens, moved to ATL as a kid is is ATL through and through, and has only recently started paying homage to NY. Not sure what the point of your post was.

Majority of people don't claim that the Clipse is southern or from the south. They don't consider themselves from the south.

I don't know much about J Cole but I thought he was always considered southern. He's from South Carolina.

Again, are we talking about what guys rep or what type of music they make?

I think there's another discussion to be had based on regional genres. Like, what IS southern hip-hop? What is West Coast hip hop? What is Midwest Hip-Hop? Are these just blanket terms that simply mean any type of music coming from artists with roots or origins in these particular regions? Or do these regional genres have specific aesthetics and charteristics associated with them?

Last edited:

So did Waka...but I'm sure ya'll don't claim him.

Again...these things aren't exact sciences.
Premo has lived in NYC for over 20 years. How long did Waka live in NYC for? Where you were raised is where you're truly from. Premo lived in Texas from birth to early adulthood, he's a Texan at heart. But he's also lived in NYC for such a long time that he is a New Yorker, just not a native New Yorker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom