Saw SHUTTER ISLAND tonight- vol. yes, it's better than The Departed **Spoilers within**

Originally Posted by daprescription

Originally Posted by illmatic34

Spoiler [+]
So what is it with this Rachel Solando person in the beginning? Why is she in Teddy's dreams (assuming she isn't Teddy's wife) and why does she call him Jim?
Spoiler [+]
she was a nurse
Rachel Solando was actually an anagram of his wifes name, Dolores Chanal. The person doesn't actually exist in real life, the nurse just played the role of Rachel in the role play.
Leo's character Edward Daniels was looking for Andrew Laeddis, his supposedly wifes killer, also an anagram to his name. 

Originally Posted by RFX45

Spoiler [+]
So what is it with this Rachel Solando person in the beginning? Why is she in Teddy's dreams (assuming she isn't Teddy's wife) and why does she call him Jim?
Spoiler [+]
she was a nurse
Rachel Solando was actually an anagram of his wifes name, Dolores Chanal. The person doesn't actually exist in real life, the nurse just played the role of Rachel in the role play.
Leo's character Edward Daniels was looking for Andrew Laeddis, his supposedly wifes killer, also an anagram to his name. 

I got the anagram part, I was just confused because there's like 3 different Rachels. So the nurse was just role playing as Rachel?

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

I can't respect this movie, despite liking both the director and the lead actor and all of their past work.

The plot seams simple and cliche, another big named star studded attempt to bring in money.

Meh... I'm waiting for Green Zone with Damon and Greengrass.
Scorsese films make money but Marty doesn't do blockbusters. He'll never sell out like Bay or Emmerich.

Pretty much, all in his head.
The Rachel that was supposedly missing that came back was just the nurse playing as Rachel.
The Rachel in the cave was his imagination/delusion.

This movie was
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

So the part when he speaks to george(the bald guy Leo supposedly beat up) he said you escape once but not twice. Was the beginning ferry ride him returning after escaping? and how did he know the scribbling would send that patient over the edge.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
she was a nurse
Ah aight. Thanks.

I liked Ben Kingsley in this, and on a side note I don't think that you can compare Shutter Island with The Departed. 

Originally Posted by RottenPieces

I liked Ben Kingsley in this, and on a side note I don't think that you can compare Shutter Island with The Departed. 
Kingsley's performance is Academy level. I love how opaque his character is--- he usually seems perfectly calm and unaffected yet with an undercurrent of evil.

great movie, sure.
better than the departed ? no. the two are different genres anyway, so they aren't comparable.

this was not my favorite movie from him at all, i am actually quite unimpressed. i think it was a very typical plot and super predictable. from the beginning i could tell that he was really the crazy one, etc.

however, win @ the cinematography.

movie was great, but not better than the departed

alot has been said already but ill just add: love that the ending at the top of the lighthouse was a callback to the ending of VERTIGO by Hitchcock as this is probably Scorsese's most Hitchcockian movie.

cinematgraphy was also great. all the scenes throughout the movie where Teddy is shot behind a fence/cage/prison cell door is great foreshadowing and just great filmmaking. the flashbacks/dreams are also really creepy and disturbing and, as well as the disturbing children scenes, give a great impression of why dude went insane

i <3 Scorsese

Originally Posted by 51and3rd

doosta45 wrote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker

like, i had no idea who was telling the truth near the end
this

what was the deal with the scratching of the notepad by leo, didnt get that.

One of the little many things to let me know he was indeed crazy the whole time......

How else would he know that would get under the patients skin? I think he subconsciously knew the patient.

IMO, I think the thing with the notepad was him getting angry. He started scribbling at the notepad after the patient mentioned that Rachel killed 3 of her children and started insulting her. I think in Leo's sub-conscious mind, he knew that it was his wife/him that killed their kids..which was why he was started scribbling because he was angry with himself.

Think about this way:

If someone was trash-talking you in front of your face without knowing that it was you he's talking about...wouldnt you get a little angry and start clenching your first, etc etc?

Just my 2 cents, although I'm PRETTY sure i'm over-analyzing everything. lol.

I loved this movie, might go see it again or just wait for Blu Ray. So who was the lady in the cave? She wasn't the real Rachel so was Teddy going crazy or was she a part of the role playing game?

^^ lady in cave is a hallucination...talkin about nazi experiments that werent happening and *+@@. i thought the fire between them as they spoke was great symbolism

anyone read the book before seeing this? i did and it is VERY faithful

Back
Top Bottom