Say it ain't so: Zoom BB I Low DOES NOT have Full-length Zoom **UPDATE with pics**

I don't know if you guys recall, but last summer I did a dissection of the Zoom BB II Low and discovered that, despite being advertised as a full-length zoom cushioned, it only had a heel zoom unit.
Desperately searching for a time when Nike actually did things right, I ordered a pair of Zoom BB I Lows from solestop and got them in last week.  Well, my search was in vain.  There's only heel zoom.

I'll update with pictures of my dissection later on today.  It's pretty effing sad.  Jeez, I just knew something didn't feel right switching from my pair of Zoom BB I mids.

All you Zoom BB I Low owners out there who feel squeamish about a dissection, just perform a "mammogram": remove the sockliner, and press around with your fingers around the heel.  You'll definitely feel where the heel zoom unit starts and stops.

There's a silver lining to this story, however.  I invested in a pair of Zoom Talache's last winter knowing that they had full-zoom sockliner.  So what I did today was rip out the full-length zoom out of that sockliner, then I ripped out the guts of one of my Zoom BB Lows and inserted the full-length zoom into my BB's.  Walked my dogs this morning.  Heavenly.  Exactly what was intended with these sneakers.  With a great deal of sadness, nonetheless, I can now say I have the best pair of low-top basketball sneakers in the world.  It's a shame I had to pull a Frankenstein on them.  Stay tuned for pics, but holler at me if anyone else can confirm my findings.

**UPDATE - 2/19/2010**

Here we are, the white-toe lows have been put through their paces in the short week I've had them.  However, something felt off about these.

Here, the right shoe has already been modified with full zoom.  Take a peek inside:

Now let's get to work on the left shoe.  Let's start by peeling off the full-zoom from the zoom talache sockliner (best $25 bucks I ever spent):

Almost there.
And done.

Next, remove sockliner from zoom bb lows, cut away at some of the fabric in the left shoe, peel back and what do we find?  Only heel zoom!

Luckily, all that gray stuff next to the heel zoom unit is just cheap foam (the same material as the sockliner) and you can scoop that stuff out.  I used a variety of kitchen utensils.  Wasn't very difficult.

As you can see, we're almost all the way up to the forefoot and it's still cheap gray foam.  However, nike scored the forefoot area to preserve toe flexibility.

You get the point.  You'll have to yank out the heel zoom on your own.  I used a sturdy pair of pliers.  Once all that cheap stuff is scooped out of the midsole, a full-zoom unit fits perfectly, as if that's how it was intended.  I put the sockliner back on top and everything stays in place just fine.  In any negative sense, I don't even notice that these have been tampered with.  They feel heavenly now.

Morals to the story.  First, beware of any tech specs you read.  I know many of us are awaiting the full-length zoom unit in the Hyperdunk 2010, but I'll make sure to try it on in store because by this point, I know exactly what full-zoom is supposed to feel like.  Yet, a dissection from a kind NT member would also be appreciated.

Secondly, nike has a practice of stripping down the cushioning in the low version of their shoes.  I already experienced this with Zoom BB II Lows and the Lebron VI Lows.  With those two shoes, I just returned them and got product vouchers.  Unfortunately, since the Zoom BB I Low is so old, they didn't qualify for the voucher program.  I had to get creative.

Lastly, if you got some full-zoom inserts laying around somewhere, I would try this Frankenstein experiment with a pair of Zoom BB I Lows, Zoom BB II Lows, or Lebron VI Lows.  As long as you scoop out the junk they got in there, slot should already be primed to accept a full-zoom unit.  I'd probably now be in the market for any of those shoes.  Why is this experiment worthwhile?  Not only is full-zoom nike's world-class cushioning system, it also extends the cushioning life of your sneakers FOR YEARS.  I just couldn't cope with the fact that my BB Lows wouldn't be ballable after a month of two of heavy use.  Now I can just pull out the zoom and put them in any shoe.

Some people may say, "Why don't you just put the full-zoom sockliner in your BB's?  Cutting all that stuff away seems like a hassle!"  Well, I've tried the simple replacement of sockliners and it totally messes up the court feel.  Your foot sits way too high off the ground putting stability at risk.  Plus, it's just too much midsole material to stuff in there--I'd be looking down at my feet and my shoes look like a pair of sausages about to burst.  Not comfortable at all.

So there it is NTers.  Let me know if you're bold enough to try this.

I'd heard the BB 1 low didn't have full length Zoom either.

Didn't realise it was heel ONLY zoom though.

i hate how they skimp on one of the most important things going from the mid to the low versions of shoes.

Originally Posted by cbfpunch

i hate how they skimp on one of the most important things going from the mid to the low versions of shoes.

It's not just the lows. Several of their recent circa $100 hoops shoes don't have anything in the forefoot but phylon.

How much does an airbag, or zoom bag cost? 10 cents? 20 cents? Maybe 50 cents tops?

There's making a healthy profit, and then there's just being greedy.

^ yeah, it just flat out sucks. i'd be going nuts with all their shoes if they threw in some sort of air cushioning in both the forefoot and heel, not just one or the other. but as it stands, passing on all of them. truly a shame.

^^^even the shoes recently from nike that had forefoot zoom units around $100 bucks were terrible implementations of zoom. like the zoom bb2 is super smushy zoom that isnt responsive at all. the soldier 3s had a nice heel cushion, but the forefoot zoom unit was really thin and flattened out extremely quickly.

Originally Posted by freechef

So what I did today was rip out the full-length zoom out of that sockliner, then I ripped out the guts of one of my Zoom BB Lows and inserted the full-length zoom into my BB's

I'd like to see pics of this.

Nice work on the pics and the mod.

I wondered how you could cut away the midsole to fit a full length zoom unit, but now I see. Nike just used the midsole of the BB mid, intended for a full length zoom unit, but filled it with with foam... cheapos.

It would be awesome to replace the full length air in the Jordan X or Jordan XI with zoom air. Not sure if the dimensions are the same though.

They have forefoot zoom btw how in gods green earth do you remove that air bag? I popped the bag trying to lift it
smh.gif

Originally Posted by CanadianBaller

why not just replace the original insole with the talache insole to make it double stack zoom air
I actually addressed this near the bottom of my post.  I've already tried putting the whole full-zoom talache insole in, as-is.  It just makes the midsole waaaaay too thick.  First off, being that this is a low cut shoe, your foot sits so high off the ground it becomes a stability issue and safety risk.  Secondly, you sacrifice court feel, which is one of the highlights of this shoe--it starts to feel like an air-max sneaker, which means you hardly feel the court at all.  Thirdly, it messes up the fit because there is so much midsole you're cramming in there.  It's almost like wearing five pairs of socks.  I made an original remark that it looked like "sausages about to burst" down there.  Felt like it too.
I originally invested in those talache insoles thinking I could simply swap them into any balling shoe but it doesn't really work.  I had to take the next step with these.

Originally Posted by swishasweets

They have forefoot zoom btw how in gods green earth do you remove that air bag? I popped the bag trying to lift it
smh.gif

At the end of every zoom unit, there should either a tab you could grab onto, or just excess plastic.  I just used pliers to yank it out.  I wasn't very gentle at all.  Those zoom units are encased in pretty sturdy plastic, not to mention the zoom being resilient itself, so I didn't worry about popping them.  Plus, I didn't care about popping that heel zoom because I was just going to toss it anyway.
I'd be curious how your experiment goes.  Looking at the XX3 Lows in the store before, I think I noticed a slightly different midsole and outsole design than the mids.  Maybe they switched it up.  That might make your job harder.  As far as the zoom bb's go, it's pretty straightforward because they use the exact same midsole across the board.  Good luck.

How does putting an air sole on top of heel zoom air sound?(so it would be full air sole + heel zoom) Would it make the shoe too unstable in the heel area?
forefoot area would be okay since its only airsole unit... hmm

Originally Posted by brokeassChrisk

How does putting an air sole on top of heel zoom air sound?(so it would be full air sole + heel zoom) Would it make the shoe too unstable in the heel area?
forefoot area would be okay since its only airsole unit... hmm
For a lowtop like these, I wouldn't.  Like you're guessing, it would make it too unstable, too high off the ground, no court feel.  Plus, it would be hard to tie your foot into the shoe.  Your foot would sit so high, every step you take and your heel would threaten to come out the shoe.  If you're begging to try, I say just empty out the bb midsole and try a full air unit in there.

I just wore my BB1 (same as OP) for the first time thinking how much different could it be...?

Damn, my knees were killing me for the next two days.

Back to the BB1 High...the lows are going to "lawn care"... =)

OP -

Why would you recommend doing this in the LeBron 6 low? Those already have double stack / full length zoom.

Back
Top Bottom