Seattle SuperSonics Thread

Home town support isn't guaranteed my dude....look at all these Cowboys and Giants fans we have here in DC.  They live here, make their money here....and it's not like they just aren't interested in football, they root for division rivals.  (And no...some of these folks are born and raised here with no ties to those areas). 

Seattle is not DC though. The OKC ownership group (and the NBA) did a great job convincing everyone there was no support for the Sonics, so now we've had to face an uphill battle proving to everyone that people did care, and still do. When the Sonics made their last playoff run (2005), the city was electric. I'd say it was even on par with the Seahawks going to the Super Bowl eight months later. That's how popular the Sonics were.

No doubt when Seattle was competitive, the Key was rocking. I remember going to a playoff game back in the late 90's hen they played the TWolves when they still had KG and Marbury. They handed out those white, banger, balloon type things and that plays was absolutely rocking. It was annoying as hell for me, but there was no denying the support.

People act like every city is 100% invested in going to games when their teams are horrible. That's not the case and fans that bring it up are ridiculously narrow minded.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

No doubt when Seattle was competitive, the Key was rocking. I remember going to a playoff game back in the late 90's hen they played the TWolves when they still had KG and Marbury. They handed out those white, banger, balloon type things and that plays was absolutely rocking. It was annoying as hell for me, but there was no denying the support.

People act like every city is 100% invested in going to games when their teams are horrible. That's not the case and fans that bring it up are ridiculously narrow minded.

The Wizards have been terrible these last few years.....and the arena was empty just about all season long.  Tickets were being sold for 50 cents or less on StubHub at times for upper level tickets.  Most of the fairweather fans and casual fans don't go when teams do poorly.  Only the diehard fans actually pay to still see the team or take children to their first game or just go for something to do.  

Even when they were mediocre and not making the playoffs (a few seasons from ’99 through 2005), the Sonics were still filling 90% of the arena. In the ’99 lockout season they finished .500, missed the playoffs, and still sold out every game, which is why they ranked in the top half of the league in attendance that season. The Sonics had one of the most loyal fan bases in the NBA. Plain and simple.

laugh.gif

KJR 950 is basically doing Sonics week right now. The Ricky Pierce interview is fascinating. Very honest guy. Talked about '94 and why the Sonics lost. He called out George Karl (and rightfully so), and said that neither he nor Payton pulled a gun in the famous locker room fight. Said they got in a fight during a game, but never pulled guns.

Rally was fun. Crowd estimated at 5,000, plus #1 trending topic on Twitter in America at one point.

Gary Payton still with the OG fashion. Not a single damb was given. 
laugh.gif

Good for Seattle though

Back
Top Bottom