Should the NBA retire the number 23 for Micheal Jordan like the NHL did for Wayne Gretzky?

I was watching Sportscenter this morning and they brought up an interesting point. Jordan will be inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame today among DavidRobinson, John Stockton, and others.They asked the question "should the NBA officially retire the number 23 in dedication to MJ´s greatness and so that noother NBA player can wear that number"? Of course LeBron will have to change his number..but he wears it because Jordan was his idol growing up..so thatsno big deal. Quentin Richardson wears 23..but he really does´nt hold any weight anyway(just my opinion atleast). If the NHL can retire a number due to one ofthe greatest ice hockey players ever, and nobody can wear that same number again..then i think the NBA should do the same for THE greatest ball player of alltime.What do you think?

My bad..i spelled Michael wrong..AND i think JB should release all OG ´s from 1 to 14.

Originally Posted by reppin va

i think JB should release all OG ´s from 1 to 14.
nice try
roll.gif

and i don't think they should retire his number

they wont... and shouldnt... 99 got retired because he is and will always be the best hockey player we will ever see.... no1 will be anywhere close toseting as many records or breakin most of his records... just aint gonna happen... im sure when kobe n bron are done they will be considered better... so youcant..

i believe they should...when pat was still the head coach in miami he retired No 23, so no one could use No 23 ever in a heat jersey. That said alot aboutriley and the heat organization. and oh 23>>>24 and that other guy in cleveland.

hell yes...this is a good thread...you brought up a great point,and i do not care what anyone says,mj is and will continue to be the greatest bbal player thathas ever graced the nba scene...to me the nba is a new league,full of flash and crap,it has lost the fundamentals,and no other player will bring what mjbrought to the court...no one will ever live to his legacy and mean what he means to the nba...his number should indefinately be retired,i do not care whatanyone has to say about that,and if you know your stuff and have truly followed mj and lived the momments he has given then yu would agree also,anyone whodoesnt is a noob in my book....great thread

Yeah I think they should. Kobe may be the man, but he'll never beat MJ - GOAT.

Jordan is, and forever will be legendary.

Originally Posted by Bucknuts116

they wont... and shouldnt... 99 got retired because he is and will always be the best hockey player we will ever see.... no1 will be anywhere close to seting as many records or breakin most of his records... just aint gonna happen... im sure when kobe n bron are done they will be considered better... so you cant..
really now?

Originally Posted by jepeh21

they wont... and shouldnt... 99 got retired because he is and will always be the best hockey player we will ever see.... no1 will be anywhere close to seting as many records or breakin most of his records... just aint gonna happen... im sure when kobe n bron are done they will be considered better... so you cant..
really now?
Kobe and/or Bron better than Jordan
eyes.gif
frown.gif
..?

I think they should. Lebron wouldn't have to change his number, he would be grandfathered in. Just like what they did with Jackie Robinson's number.Players who currently wear the number until they retire, but incoming players could not get the number nor could you change your number to it..

Bucknuts116 wrote:

What....kobe n bron are going to be considered better then JORDAN when they are done....not a chance!
Yes, they should retire 23 right now (today after he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame).

^ this kid must have never watched mj play lol. There's a handful of players better than Kobe and LB.

How old are you?

Everybody sayn Kobe's better than Jordan; LeBron's better than Jordan, must not have been watching much of ESPN classic the past few days. You watchthose games and the intensity and gameplay is at a completely different level than what we see in the NBA today. Other than the Bulls/Celtics 2009 playoffsseries, there hasn't been that much heart and true team basketball gameplay in the NBA since the 90s. The way Jordan went out against some of the greatestof all time like Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Isiah, and Magic, just to name a few, back then is much more important than lookin at Kobe breakin scoring recordsagainst the Knicks now. The game is all about flash. A dude goes to the lane, the defense moves so they can watch what kind of dunk he's gonna throw down.With LeBron it's a one man show, he touches the ball he's goin to the basket. How do you stop that? Stand in front of him, I don't care how big heis a charge counts just the same now as it did back then. Jordan will always be at another level compared to these guys. Don't get me wrong Kobe n LeBronesepcially are the best in the game today, but Jordan's always gonna have that slight edge over anybody. So before you start talkn bout how they'rebetter try thrown in a tape of some of his old games stop just watchin the highlights.

retiring MJ's number has little to do with the NhL, but 23 should b retires in the next 10 years... n Kobe sux n so does LJ compared to MJ

Originally Posted by jcliz

How old are you?
lol, EXACTLY what I was about to ask. I suspect there are a lot of young people on this site who are not old enough to understand how good Moneyreally was. I really think you had to grow up watching MJ (or at least have been grown by the time he got to the league) to understand his greatness, and tounderstand the type of competition he faced. it's like people my age who can't fully grasp how great Chamberlain and Russell were, we weren'talive to see it and experience the game in that era. it doesn't mean Jordan is better than Wilt and Bill, that's just how we perceive it based on ourexperience. so now the kids are gonna have the same perspective with Kobe and Lebron since Mike is the old guy now. but really, Kobe and Lebron have not comeclose to reaching Michael Jordan's level of dominance, athleticism, and talent. I don't think it will happen for either of them, but they are bothgreat in their own right.

pimp.gif
. kobe.
pimp.gif
. nh.

Back
Top Bottom