Should the NBA retire the number 23 for Micheal Jordan like the NHL did for Wayne Gretzky?

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

while i see jordan as the best to ever do it basketball wise, i could see people making a legit argument for other players like russell, wilt, magic etc, so if your going to retire jordans number then retire all those other guys numbers too.
I concur. this is the initial thought I had before I went off about the kids not knowing about Jordan, haha.
Originally Posted by solefulone

The answer is no. One player is not bigger than the league, no matter what his impact has been to the league. I grew up in Detroit of all places watching MJ. For all you youngin's out there that don't understand, please fall back. Kobe and LeBron will never be what MJ was. Lets not forget that MJ won Defensive Player of the Year and the Scoring Title (32.5ppg) in the same season (1988). That alone should quiet all the comparisons. They will simply be what Kobe and LeBron are, Hall of Fame players in their own right.

Jackie Robinson's #42 is retired throughout the majors. Not because of his stats but his impact on this country. He changed the course of history. History is a record that cannot be broken again. You can't break the color barrier again. MJ has accomplished things on and off the court that someone else can do, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

I am a big MJ fan but I don't think he has accomplished enough off the court to warrant league wide retirement of his jersey.
this too, very thoughtful perspective. and yes, DPotY and Scoring in one season, I am not sure if that will ever happen again in the NBA. thekids just don't know what the game was like in the 90s; more powerful, more physical, better defense around the league, much harder to shine offensively,fewer rules to protect players from injury, less touch foul calling, etc. it's not the same game we see on TV in this decade.

If they retire Jordan's number then they should retire all the number's of the NBA's Top 50 players as well. I think it's fitting that he'salready going to the hall of fame. That accomplishment alone is enough to remember his legacy.

roll.gif
at dude sayin Kobe and LBJ better than Jordan, dude is off is rocker
laugh.gif
When u have innovators that came before u admittin that u are the best toever play the game, u know u the !#*%. If they were to do that, I bet Lebron would be mad and storm out w/o talkin to the media again
laugh.gif

The league should respect Michael Jordan enough as far as everything he's done and transcended as an individual and retire his jersey #. For Pat Riley inMIAMI to retire his #, and that was his main competition as far as Lakers and Knicks, the NBA should follow suit. Especially if the "Jumpman" becomesthe NBA's new logo as rumors have been abundantly floating around... Just my 2 cents!

thats a great debate. it would be cool. but then again its cool to see other NBA stars wear 23 for the respect of MJ

i think they should..because there will never be another better player to wear 23...period..

well the BULLS as a team should definitely retire it. The whole league...maybe not..but I would be on board for sure.

I fully admit..I am t NOT a bball fan. I dont know any teams and do not follow the NBA. But I know JORDAN. I am def old enough (36) to remember MJs wholecareer. I have family in Chicago..I ate at the MJ restaurant and I remember my aunt calling me to complain..."Why do they have to close the streets downfor this damn parade!" LOL. I was in Chicago many times when MJ was DOMINATING the league...and it was electric being in the city at that time.

i was watching this on ESPN and i think it is a good idea!! then lebron might have to switch to 24 like kobe..

lebron > Kobe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mike Jordan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> moochienorris... lol...

Originally Posted by mst9023

they should retire the number 23, in honor of his airness. he was the greatest player to ever walk on the court and out of respect to what he did for the game they need to do this. and dude saying kobe and lebron are better? Michale Jordan was the best basketball player in what i consider the golden age of basketball. he has played with and against some of the greatest players to ever play, and he made most of them look like fools. He revoloutionized the game and all of us who have seen him play live have tried to copy his every move on the court. the nba needs to recognize him as the greatest and retire his number now and make anyone wearing it change it.

QFT

I think the bulls should retire the number but not the league. I have always said mike is mike and kobe is kobe and lbj is lbj, but the closest thing to mikeis kobe. Mike is the greatest basketball player ever, and I think when its all said and done kobe will be right there behind him.

Only one other franchise aside from the bulls has retired the #23 and thats the miami heat. Pretty interesting how a team who MJ never came close to donning auni for retires his number. Wonder if the wizards would do the same????

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

Kobe wearing 24 > this thread.

what? Kobe is a great player, so is LeBron... neither come close to Jordan. I think people have already forgot (or never knew) how MJ was the greatest EVER athis peak.

Back
Top Bottom