Should top 10 running backs be excluded from or have a modified rookie scale?

I bring this up because of the Peterson injury.
By all accounts Peterson has more than lived up to his rookie contract. It was for 40 million, in reality my opinion was that after year 1 he would and could have gotten 60 million for the remaining 4 years on the contract.
If a special running back is worth 15 million a season, which the numbers show, then wouldn't a team be more inclined to give him the deal as a rookie 2nd or third year player?
The worst long term contracts in sports are the Running back contracts.
Clinton Portis was a bust as a big contract guy ( the majority of the time)
Shawn Alexander was 7 years in before he got his
LT was 6 in before he got his
AP was 5 years in before he got his.
If guys are signing 4 year deals for rookie deals, then the premium position needs to be top 10 running backs.
They are guys who have the shortest careers, the most retirement time, and generally the most impact on great teams.
IMO its time to reward these guys... I'm saying that if your drafted in the top 10 as a running back your contract should reflect that more so.

Write a letter.

I'm pissed they changed the rookie scale.
If you're drafting Andrew Luck to be your FRANCHISE PLAYER, pay him like a franchise player should be paid, not like a back up QB.

1. lockout's over. last time I checked, the players folded quickly.
2. what about slot receivers and slot running backs? or anyone in the top 10 of their pos on rookie pay?
3. why would football want to follow in basketball's footsteps? isn't that what holdouts are for?

Originally Posted by megatron

Write a letter.

If you're drafting Andrew Luck to be your FRANCHISE PLAYER, pay him like a franchise player should be paid, not like a back up QB.
So you're mad that an unproven person in the NFL is gonna make 18 million or whatever amount it is now, instead of making 57 million?
Personally, I love the fact that they changed it. So many busts are drafted in the first round. JaMarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Alex Smith and so on. 

RBs is a tough position but they signed up for the job. No one said they had to play football, they should be thankful to make a few million to play a sport. 

IMO its time to reward these guys... I'm saying that if your drafted in the top 10 as a running back your contract should reflect that more so.

Curtis Enis, Tim Biakabutuka, Lawrence Phillips, Tommy Vardell, etc all say hi.

Of course there are guys who outperform their rookie deals, but the new CBA put in place a FAIR scale for all players on their first contracts.

Considering they just agreed to these terms, hard to argue. I get it though, that's why I'm ok with guys holding out

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Of course there are guys who outperform their rookie deals, but the new CBA put in place a FAIR scale for all players on their first contracts.
I could name guys from this millennium , and it wouldn't be what I was trying to argue.
Im saying if your drafting a guy to give him 300 touches there has to be a compensation for the fact that they have a 2 year shorter career than every other position.
The Rookie scale is perfect sans the Running back position. How about a league wide bonus system for running backs when they have 200 carries?
Thats my main point. They are in the most collisions pay them while they are young.
See Chris Johnson?
Looks sees 1k and 4 ypc in a year with no training camp. nods head, and says CJ 2k 2012.

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

Write a letter.

So you're mad that an unproven person in the NFL is gonna make 18 million or whatever amount it is now, instead of making 57 million?
Personally, I love the fact that they changed it. So many busts are drafted in the first round. JaMarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Alex Smith and so on. 

RBs is a tough position but they signed up for the job. No one said they had to play football, they should be thankful to make a few million to play a sport. 
Alex Smith has been a reason why we are 12-3. He has a top 10 passer rating, has a league low 5 INTs, and has beaten Montana's record for 4th quarter comeback wins in a season.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Write a letter.

Alex Smith has been a reason why we are 12-3. He has a top 10 passer rating, has a league low 5 INTs, and has beaten Montana's record for 4th quarter comeback wins in a season.
grin.gif

Yeah, and he was a bust until his sixth year in the league. You're telling me he earned his rookie contract as #1 overall pick?
laugh.gif
jokes.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

grin.gif

Yeah, and he was a bust until his sixth year in the league. You're telling me he earned his rookie contract as #1 overall pick?
laugh.gif
jokes.

That's not what I said. He actually took a big pay cut. Im just saying I wouldn't label him a bust..
Leave me the hell alone anyway bruh , you're spoiled with Rodgers..
laugh.gif

frown.gif

There is no such thing as fair scale bro.

Let the owners do their due diligence on a player and put their skin in the game.

The players subsidize the owners enough as it as. They have non guaranteed contracts but are frowned upon for holding out. The good players have to subsidize the fringe players so they can make the minimums. They have the players subsiding the teams that have a hard time filling up stadiums. Now they put the veterans against the rookies because the Owners do not want to be on the hook for a bust?

Let them pay what the market will bare...

(I am just tired of people licking the owners boots knowingly or unknowingly..sorry for the rant
laugh.gif
)
Im saying if your drafting a guy to give him 300 touches there has to be a compensation for the fact that they have a 2 year shorter career than every other position.
The natural solution would be the give them shorter deals. But they cant of course because its some how "fair" to require them to sign 4 year deals. Then the owners will tell you its better for you to sign a long term deal that only you are trapped into. Its a joke.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

I could name guys from this millennium , and it wouldn't be what I was trying to argue.
The Rookie scale is perfect sans the Running back position. How about a league wide bonus system for running backs when they have 200 carries?
Thats my main point. They are in the most collisions pay them while they are young.
See Chris Johnson?
Looks sees 1k and 4 ypc in a year with no training camp. nods head, and says CJ 2k 2012.

laugh.gif
 1000 yards? An average back puts up 1000 yards. That's not what he was paid for. He ran for below 60 yards TEN TIMES this year. 

Back
Top Bottom