"Smug Style American Liberalism" self critique Via VOX

I'll be surprised to see this thread go anywhere because NT is overwhelmingly liberal and it calls them out on all of their typical tactics. Asking NT leftists to converse without resorting to memes, condescending gifs, name calling and constant strawman analogies is going to leave most with very little to say.

It was never bad this before..what happened? :smh:

Guess i graduated school riiiight before schools became liberal indoctrination camps, and in da field im in (automotive, and truck driving) shields me from social Justice resentment.

Add to da fact that ive made good money so far & my mother aint done anything but work hard and succeed on her own right, and you got a guy that's been immune to da drum beat of militant leftism.

Most of my experiences with left-leaning feminist women always ended with ad-hoc personal attacks against me, even after I presented logical, rational ideas in a calm discussion.

They were quick to shame me and call me a sexist/misogynist for disagreeing with them and giving legitimate explanations. For example, one topic that constantly gets them heated is the pay "inequality" between men and women in the same job/field.

Last edited:
I agree on most liberal stances but this mentality of trying to "expose" everyone who has a slightly opposing opinion as racist/homophobic/greedy/uneducated/ignorant/ect.. is counter productive 

Most of my experiences with left-leaning feminist women always ended with ad-hoc personal attacks against me, even after I presented logical, rational ideas in a calm discussion.

They were quick to shame me and call me a sexist/misogynist for disagreeing with them and giving legitimate explanations. For example, one topic that constantly gets them heated is the pay "inequality" between men and women in the same job/field

What you be telling these women to make them so heated papi :lol:

Last edited:
This da da epitome of da article right here :lol:

Look man, if you don't want to be called a mental ****** by evil liberals then work on how you present your points. Act like someone who has had any type of formal education is presenting an argument. Not all conservatives are like you, you're a certain breed of conservatives. You're in the same boat as those poor southern republicans who dropped out of high school, live on welfare but vote for Trump. :lol:  

Da proof is in da puddin' b

You can't even escape da trope being represented in da article :lol: :smh: You drip condescending arrogance and everything you bloviate about me is a lie, and you're da only one who believes it because your stuck in your personal smug bubble of self serving platitudes.

Why do you think i even entertain your awkwardness Anton? Because i know in your real life circle of people of who know you best, they reject you, and i represent everything that you bitterly resent that people like me have done to you, and proceed thru life unfairly progressing without some sort of retaliation.

Im da villan on da internet you can lash back at from da safety of a SNEAKER MESSAGE board cuz u wouldn't dare as to even look in my direction cuz i'd relegate you to da bleachers that is your miserable social life. :lol:

Consider my work charity cuz i truly, and Sincerely pity you anton, dont ever forgot that.

They were quick to shame me and call me a sexist/misogynist for disagreeing with them and giving legitimate explanations. For example, one topic that constantly gets them heated is the pay "inequality" between men and women in the same job/field.
What you be telling these women to make them so heated papi
laugh.gif
As mentioned, the topic of pay "inequality" always seems to get them in their emotions.

Example: I was having drinks with my homie and his girl a few weeks ago. We're discussing politics and joking about the self-destructing debacle of Hillary/Trump. His girl interjects about something she read online: women make 77 cents for every dollar men make. I ask her to explain; she literally just repeats that same line and says it's pure discrimination. I calmly explain to her that while the average wage for women is ~77% of the average wage of men, the difference is not likely a result of discrimination. I further elaborate that women are more likely to either temporarily or permanently drop out of the workforce. Also, women are more likely to work part-time and unsurprisingly, part-time employees overall make less than full-time employees. At this point, she's getting flustered. I continue to say that more women than men drop out of the labor force to take care of their kids, which is absolutely cool with me. I even put it out there that women without children tend to make a bit more than men without children (regardless of age). She's now heated and saying that it's not a woman's fault for leaving the workforce. I ask her, "So it's not a woman's choice to leave the workforce? Who forced her?" She yells that it's the children's fault for forcing mothers to quit their jobs. I'm pretty confused at this point, but she abruptly tells me that since this wage gap exists, women should be getting paid the difference by the government.

My homie is cracking up at this point (his fault for choosing to be with a self-proclaimed feminist and fan of Anita Sarkeesian), but I try to dig in a little deeper. I ask her, "If women are getting paid less, wouldn't companies hire women instead to work the same exact job, thereby increasing profit and minimizing costs?" She tells me she's offended I would even ask that and that discrimination is the only answer to this inequality. I send my homie a few links and articles that debunk this discrimination-based wage gap and he tells me she's not reading any of it. So much for being open-minded, huh?

laugh.gif

Last edited:

As mentioned, the topic of pay "inequality" always seems to get them in their emotions.

Example: I was having drinks with my homie and his girl a few weeks ago. We're discussing politics and joking about the self-destructing debacle of Hillary/Trump. His girl interjects about something she read online: women make 77 cents for every dollar men make. I ask her to explain; she literally just repeats that same line and says it's pure discrimination. I calmly explain to her that while the average wage for women is ~77% of the average wage of men, the difference is not likely a result of discrimination. I further elaborate that women are more likely to either temporarily or permanently drop out of the workforce. Also, women are more likely to work part-time and unsurprisingly, part-time employees overall make less than full-time employees. At this point, she's getting flustered. I continue to say that more women than men drop out of the labor force to take care of their kids, which is absolutely cool with me. I even put it out there that women without children tend to make a bit more than men without children (regardless of age). She's now heated and saying that it's not a woman's fault for leaving the workforce. I ask her, "So it's not a woman's choice to leave the workforce? Who forced her?" She yells that it's the children's fault for forcing mothers to quit their jobs. I'm pretty confused at this point, but she abruptly tells me that since this wage gap exists, women should be getting paid the difference by the government.

My homie is cracking up at this point (his fault for choosing to be with a self-proclaimed feminist and fan of Anita Sarkeesian), but I try to dig in a little deeper. I ask her, "If women are getting paid less, wouldn't companies hire women instead to work the same exact job, thereby increasing profit and minimizing costs?" She tells me she's offended I would even ask that and that discrimination is the only answer to this inequality. I send my homie a few links and articles that debunk this discrimination-based wage gap and he tells me she's not reading any of it. So much for being open-minded, huh?

:lol:  

All those factors aside, dollar for dollar, same hours worked for the same positions, women and minorities actually do make less. I'd say it's more dependent on what they know they can negotiate. Source? corporate accountants. To me you came across as a jackass, and your boy is a gitwit.

Last edited:
^ Source/links? I'm always open to read/learn more on where I'm right or wrong.

On that note, I also didn't understand the need for her to call me names or burst into emotions. If she had logical responses and questions, I was more than willing to listen and explain.

Last edited:
I look forward to at least 4 more years of evil liberal posts on NT when Hillary wins. Good times. :pimp:

My homie is cracking up at this point (his fault for choosing to be with a self-proclaimed feminist and fan of Anita Sarkeesian

:x

3rd wave Feminists are da reason rollingstone ran a fake rape story, cuz when da **** hit da fan, instead of being conciliatory and potentially harm their rape culture narrative and admit they were wrong, their new angle became "to bring awareness". :smh: :lol:

And that anita broad ALMOST ruined video games... That whole #gamergate ive followed from da beginning..trying to inject political correctness into da industry and vilify its fans.

Last edited:

On that note, I also didn't understand the need for her to call me names. If she had logical responses, I was more than willing to listen.

Strange way of explaining, but I didn't mean to demean you or anything. Just seemed like you were on an antagonistic crusade to try and make her look stupid. Actually i'm fairly certain that's what you were trying to do. No links to share as this was real world data from real people who will remain anonymous. But I feel like things like this happen all the time, people telling folks how they are affected by an oppressive system and they're dismissed by some general, skewed article. The system will never have any reason to fix itself, it doesn't even need to make it's own case, there are enough apologists out there.

My homie is cracking up at this point (his fault for choosing to be with a self-proclaimed feminist and fan of Anita Sarkeesian
sick.gif

3rd wave Feminists are da reason rollingstone ran a fake rape story, cuz when da **** hit da fan, instead of being conciliatory and potentially harm their rape culture narrative and admit they were wrong, their new angle became "to bring awareness".
mean.gif
:Lol

And that anita broad ALMOST ruined video games... That whole #gamergate ive followed from da beginning..trying to inject political correctness into da industry and vilify its fans.
The false rape accusations are absolutely disgusting and have destroyed many men's lives. Yes, even black men got thrown in prison for this BS (e.g. read Patrice O'Neal's story).

I'm all for equality, but equality =/= special treatment for one gender only.

Famb you were rustling oye girl. :lol:

-But she was wrong and you're wrong. She was right and you're right

The entire gap is not based on explainable factors (which economist generally gets labelled discrimination), but part of it is. It is well researched topic in Labor Economics, you could probably search on Google Scholar or NBER and find many papers on the gender pay gap. You gonna get real familiar with the oaxaca decomposition

I have read many articles showing that part of the wage gap is explainable, there is part of the gender wage gap that just can't be explain, at least by not any model out there right now.

That signals there is discrimination

-Secondly, you're "if women make less, why don't companies" just hired women is a nice troll job but I figure you're touching on this:

Women go cost women just much as men, and yes they choose to drop out the labor market (I'll touch on that). But during that time think about it, the company doesn't get any productivity from that worker, so in return he pays that women a lower wage to make up for it. Men don't drop out, so in turn they get a higher wage. I'm pretty sure this was what you were arguing to baby girl.

But

Women aren't just choosing to drop out the labor force on a whim. Taking care an child has large negative economic consequences, and currently America's social and economic is making women bare to many of those cost herself. Women should get paid maternity leave, so should men. Currently women have to stay home for weeks to months, yet men get looked at funny style for being out over a week. When you see both groups taking the same amount of time off after a baby, you will see the pay gap shrinking. Because their compensation structure will both change. Right now women generally have to drop out, while a man doesn't

Then

Now add to that the household division of labor is crazy unbalanced. Women put in way more time, and energy into raising a child and taking care of households (doing basic house work) than men do. This is time women aren't compensated for, time she could be in the labor market proving trading her time for more money, or investing in human capital that will lend to higher wages.

Then

Society (both men and older women) funnel our girls into lower paying careers, or act somewhat hostile to her entering a male dominated field. This **** starts from when like pre-algebra. Girls get told that being cute is just as important that being competent. So men and women might be in the same field, doing what is classified as the same job on a survey, but when you look closer the man's job is more specialized, and he can demand a higher wage

-So let's review. Women have pushed to make choices that will negatively affect them economically, men don't, and add to that women put in tons of work that goes uncompensated. Work that benefits other men, and society as a whole

It will take a combination of public policy, and men making different decision in the workplace, and them doing more work to take care and raise kids. Add women making different choices. But society is still on the hook for part of the problem It is all about trade offs. And someone the person saying it is all about discrimination, is missing the other half of the picture. So it the dude saying it discrimination doesn't pay a factor, or it is just women's choices that are lending to her lower pay.

I know you be getting wavy with liberation way of thinking and that people's choices explain everything. I dipped my toes into those waters at one point in life. But the most dangerous thing about that way of thinking is that it ignores the socio-economic systems driving outcomes we see in society

-And to be honest, you come off just as bad in your story as ole girl does.

Last edited:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

All those factors aside, dollar for dollar, same hours worked for the same positions, women and minorities actually do make less. I'd say it's more dependent on what they know they can negotiate. Source? corporate accountants. To me you came across as a jackass, and your boy is a gitwit.
see this is the problem when dealing with most "intellectual" liberals. you cant claim to base your arguments on facts when you dismiss a bunch of logical and factual arguments with "all those factors aside, these factors are more important because they support MY viewpoint". It's just showing your bias.

On that note, I also didn't understand the need for her to call me names. If she had logical responses, I was more than willing to listen.
Strange way of explaining, but I didn't mean to demean you or anything. Just seemed like you were on an antagonistic crusade to try and make her look stupid. Actually i'm fairly certain that's what you were trying to do. No links to share as this was real world data from real people who will remain anonymous. But I feel like things like this happen all the time, people telling folks how they are affected by an oppressive system and they're dismissed by some general, skewed article. The system will never have any reason to fix itself, it doesn't even need to make it's own case, there are enough apologists out there.
I agree with most of their points but this is basically 95% of what liberals do in NT threads when dealing with conservatives 
laugh.gif

dude brought up a few good points and you dismissed them with "facts" an anonymous source, how is what you did any different? 

if she comes forth with an ignorant viewpoint what's wrong with making her look stupid? or does that only apply when a person has an "anti-liberal" viewpoint? 

liberals are overall more progressive and logical in their arguments but lets be real, both sides are hella bias and pick and choose which "facts" they find important purely to support their predetermined stances on the argument. 

The left can be very arrogant and dismissive which can be counter-productive but it is understandable to be that with Trump and Cruz supporters :lol:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Famb you were rustling oye girl.
laugh.gif

The entire gap is not based on explainable factors (which economist generally gets labelled discrimination), but part of it is. It is well researched topic in Labor Economics, you could probably search on Google Scholar or NBER and find many papers on the gender pay gap. You gonna get real familiar with the oaxaca decomposition

I have read many articles showing that part of the wage gap is explainable, there is part of the gender wage gap that just can't be explain, at least by not any model out there right now.

-Secondly, you're "if women make less, why don't companies" just hired women is a nice troll job but I figure you're touching on this:

Women go cost women just much as men, and yes they choose to drop out the labor market (I'll touch on that). But during that time think about it, the company doesn't get any productivity from that worker, so in return he pays that women a lower wage to make up for it. Men don't drop out, so in turn they get a higher wage. I'm pretty sure this was what you were arguing to baby girl.

But

Women aren't just choosing to drop out the labor force on a whim. Taking care an child has large negative economic consequences, and currently America's social and economic is making women bare to many of those cost herself. Women should get paid maternity leave, so should men. Currently women have to stay home for weeks to months, yet men get looked at funny style for being out over a week. When you see both groups taking the same amount of time off after a baby, you will see the pay gap shrinking. Because their compensation structure will both change. Right now women generally have to drop out, while a man doesn't

Then

Now add to that the household division of labor is crazy unbalanced. Women put in way more time, and energy into raising a child and taking care of households (doing basic house work) than men do. This is time women aren't compensated for, time she could be in the labor market proving trading her time for more money, or investing in human capital that will lend to higher wages.

Then

Society (both men and older women) funnel our girls into lower paying careers, or act somewhat hostile to her entering a male dominated field. This **** starts from when like pre-algebra. Girls get told that being cute is just as important that being competent. So men and women might be in the same field, doing what is classified as the same job on a survey, but when you look closer the man's job is more specialized, and he can demand a higher wage

-So let's review. Women have pushed to make choices that will negatively affect them economically, men don't, and add to that women put in tons of work that goes uncompensated. Work that benefits other men, and society as a whole

It will take a combination of public policy, and men making different decision in the workplace, and them doing more work to take care and raise kids. Add women making different choices. But society is still on the hook for part of the problem It is all about trade offs. And someone the person saying it is all about discrimination, is missing the other half of the picture. So it the dude saying it discrimination doesn't pay a factor, or it is just women's choices that are lending to her lower pay.

I know you be getting wavy with liberation way of thinking and that people's choices explain everything. I dipped my toes into those waters at one point in life. But the most dangerous thing about that way of thinking is that it ignores the socio-economic systems driving outcomes we see in society

Thanks for the insight, Rusty. Glad you don't resort to ad-hominem attacks, but instead offer up a cogent perspective.

I'd also like to offer up this for you and @Mark Antony -- I recommend this podcast which further discusses the topic: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/the...der-pay-gap-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Last edited:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Famb you were rustling oye girl.
laugh.gif

But

Then

Then

all this is a good breakdown of why women get paid less and it is a societal "problem" but none of the green highlighted text does anything to suggest that it's employer discrimination. It seem's like you're supporting his point that the girl saying "it must be discrimination!!!" is talking nonsense because you just listed a whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with the employer to why women get paid less on average.

the only time you bring up discrimination is on what can't be explained, which is a pretty weak argument seeing that you followed it up by doing a great job of providing a thorough explanation of all the non employer discrimination factors that lead to this statistic. 

The ultra liberal and far right view are pretty equal due to their common goal, restrictions.

Not only that, but license to legislate based on da morality of their ideology... I saw it in da 80's & 90's with da far right & now da far left with their culture being arbiters of political correctness which is essentially speech authoritarians.

see this is the problem when dealing with most "intellectual" liberals. you cant claim to base your arguments on facts when you dismiss a bunch of logical and factual arguments with "all those factors aside, these factors are more important because they support MY viewpoint". It's just showing your bias.

I agree with most of their points but this is basically 95% of what liberals do in NT threads when dealing with conservatives :lol:

dude brought up a few good points and you dismissed them with "facts" an anonymous source, how is what you did any different? 

if she comes forth with an ignorant viewpoint what's wrong with making her look stupid? or does that only apply when a person has an "anti-liberal" viewpoint? 

liberals are overall more progressive and logical in their arguments but lets be real, both sides are hella bias and pick and choose which "facts" they find important purely to support their predetermined stances on the argument. 

Don't be glib, get out of your head and your labels. I didn't dismiss his entire argument, I posted a micro statement where tidbits like:

"I further elaborate that women are more likely to either temporarily or permanently drop out of the workforce. Also, women are more likely to work part-time and unsurprisingly, part-time employees overall make less than full-time employees."

wasn't relevant to per capita situation I addressed. No need to put "facts", as they are actual facts. This was real time data from a fortune 500 company. Trust I want them to take it public to shine a light on something the higher ups are probably so far disconnected from.

I'm not sure how I became this "intellectual liberal" you're focusing on. My view was literally the next post. Take a moment next time.

Last edited:

But

Then

Then

all this is a good breakdown of why women get paid less and it is a societal "problem" but none of the green highlighted text does anything to suggest that it's employer discrimination. It seem's like you're supporting his point that the girl saying "it must be discrimination!!!" is talking nonsense because you just listed a whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with the employer to why women get paid less on average.

the only time you bring up discrimination is on what can't be explained, which is a pretty weak argument seeing that you followed it up by doing a great job of providing a thorough explanation of all the non employer discrimination factors that lead to this statistic. 

-The second point (the green part) was not meant to explain discrimination. It was meant to discuss some of the known/explainable factors why you will see women having lower wages. Just discussing the systems the produce those outcomes.

Think of this way. If the wage gap is 30 cents. 25 cents we can explain, 5 cents no one can. The first part was just saying 5 cents of the gap is not explainable, and that may signal it might be discrimination. The green part is talking about the 25 cents part we can explain, offering a different take on the explanation that Slighted gave.

-Ole girl was arguing that her opinion is fact, Slighted was arguing no his was fact. I didn't say definitively that employer discrimination exist. I said it signals it does, not that it proves it.

Maybe it from me doing econometric work in the Labor market, but most papers to Oaxaca style decomposition, that is how it is discussed. People have tried to explain the differential in all sorts of ways, and there still remain some part of the wage differential no one can't explain.

So there must be some unobservable things going on that is causing that, and the most likely thing could be discrimination. It could be other things, or things no one had found yet.

But discrimination is used because it kinda fits, we can't measure the feelings in someone's heart, and thoughts in here head. We may never know. But the fact researchers have tried many things and some of the gap is still there, might be because there is truly something partly driving the wage gap see will never be able to observe or measure.

And the best guess is discrimination because it makes the most sense. It was not an argument for anything really, just to point out to Slighted the case isn't closed like he claims, that he wrongfully dismissed ole girl's argument.

Last edited:

But

Then

Then

Thanks for the insight, Rusty. Glad you don't resort to ad-hominem attacks, but instead offer up a cogent perspective.

I'd also like to offer up this for you and @Mark Antony
-- I recommend this podcast which further discusses the topic: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/the...der-pay-gap-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

I'll check this out when i'm not studying.

But people want to be as brash and abrasive as they want to be, the moment you point that out they're quick to draw up a label for you. I see that as much as the "smug style American liberalism". "Oh no not me, I can't be smug".

At a quick glance though, this kinda highlights part of my point:

GOLDIN: My own story is interesting because I was asked — and I do not do consulting — I was asked to evaluate a project that was done by a leading international agency that will remain unnamed. And the project was that in the organization, it was deemed that women were being treated less well than men. And they did an internal study, and the internal study concluded that women were doing just as well as men and that there were no problems at all — that whatever problems were in the organization were some other things. Maybe there was groping, maybe there was harassment, but that didn’t look like it showed up in terms of their job position and their pay. OK, so this person calls me up and says, we need external people to review it. And he asked me and two other people, who were men, who worked a lot as consultants. And the person said to me, “how about $2,000 for this job?” And I thought, “that’s interesting,” because I thought I was doing it as a favor. “That’s fine, $2,000.” So the three of us evaluated the internal review, found that it looked pretty good, and I received my payment. A couple months go by and I receive a call that said, “By the way” — and remember that the project we were working on was wage- and promotion-discrimination against women — and I receive a call and was told that the other two men had a rate that they asked for and so their pay was about one and a half times or two times mine. So, someone at that organization actually approved three consultants, the woman receiving about half of what the men received. So, there is evidence that the individual who didn’t ask for anything — because I didn’t have a rate — got less than the guys who did ask for it.
DUBNER: Alright, so my one piece of advice for you, Claudia, would be that you need to find out the previously agreed-upon male rate and quote that instead of letting them tell you what you’re going to get, alright?
GOLDIN: Thank you very much. Well, what I’m going to do is, I’m going to call you up and ask you to bargain for me.
DUBNER: It’s a deal. I’ll do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom