Snowboarders Please Enter..

Fellas

I'm up at hunter mountain right now about to board for the first time

I have a skateboarding background, is carving something that's gonna come naturally?

Fellas

I have a skateboarding background, is carving something that's gonna come naturally?

it should def help. but your feet being locked in might make it feel weird at first

Fellas

Depends on how many times you snowboard. I skated all my life and it took me a while to learn how to carve.

You're definitely not going to learn on your first day, i'll tell you that much.

Fellas

I don't think its something that could possibly come naturally. I feel like having your feet strapped to a piece of wood goes against everything we're used to in terms of balance so it takes a lot of relearning how to balance if that makes sense. It might benefit you and shorten the learning curve but my guess is it won't come naturally at all. 

^ first time snowboarding yesterday, got a skateboarding background too, but got my butt kicked on the slopes.

like seriously, my body was all over the place, fell face first and knocked the back of my head pretty hard doing frontside slides. tried the steeper slope fell there and my legs felt like they were up in the air.

gotta agree that being strapped to the board, didnt feel natural. its definitely gona take some time to learn

that soreness from the first time ever snowboarding is unreal :lol:

it's like leg day PLUS getting punched in the legs and *** and wherever you banged your body when falling

lol my first day I messed up my tail bone and wrists and I felt the pain for at least a month. That was just brutal, hard to believe that was six years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. 
laugh.gif

^ first time snowboarding yesterday, got a skateboarding background too, but got my butt kicked on the slopes.

like seriously, my body was all over the place, fell face first and knocked the back of my head pretty hard doing frontside slides. tried the steeper slope fell there and my legs felt like they were up in the air.

gotta agree that being strapped to the board, didnt feel natural. its definitely gona take some time to learn
Try the "falling leaf" method. 

Stay on your heelside edge (looking down the hill) and kind of go back and forth like a falling leaf would.   After you've done that a few runs, turn around and do the same but on your toe side (looking up the hill). 

After you learn edge control, start mixing in single turns to connect a heelside into a toeside. 

^ ill remember ur tip bro.

my friend sucked at teaching me. i youtubed a how to right at the top of the slope and learned on my own basically :lol:

^ dont know if im gona feel that pain today or over the next few but feeling ok right now. i think if u dont exercise or do physical activity youll feel worse. went here

View media item 2331771
this is in kyoto, japam btw

My dream to someday ski the mountains in northern japan
Ive heard the powder dumps can be legendary. And the the ancient mountain culture/hot springs/monkeys seems amazing

I just recently got back from 9 days skiing in Aspen. Second time there, and definitely one of my favorite mountains

Ive heard lots of good things about Japan.

Anyways, anyone ever hit up Jay Peak? My cousin went not too long ago and says the conditions were perfect. Prob the best powder hes encountered so far

Anyways, anyone ever hit up Jay Peak? My cousin went not too long ago and says the conditions were perfect. Prob the best powder hes encountered so far

anywhere in the northeast is going to be great right now with all the snow they're getting. Killington is my favorite spot when i'm back east

anywhere in the northeast is going to be great right now with all the snow they're getting. Killington is my favorite spot when i'm back east

Need to get my board out of storage later today. Headed to PA this weekend to board for the first time this year. About time too.

Try the "falling leaf" method. 

Stay on your heelside edge (looking down the hill) and kind of go back and forth like a falling leaf would.   After you've done that a few runs, turn around and do the same but on your toe side (looking up the hill). 

After you learn edge control, start mixing in single turns to connect a heelside into a toeside. 

Falling leaf is what I see beginners who have board more

Going to Breck next week to ski for the first time ever...hope I survive! Any pointers or places to check out in that area?

Going to Breck next week to ski for the first time ever...hope I survive! Any pointers or places to check out in that area?

hmm, I think you'll have a good time. Its a great mountain for people to get their first start
If your not staying at a ski-in-ski-out, parking by the gondola base is actually super convenient. Dont consider that a downgrade
If you already bought your lift tix, you can upgrade to a full day lesson for only $20 more

I cant wait for my trip at the end of the month.

Anyone know where to get lift tickets for breck/keystone for discount? Anyone have epic pass that I can rent out and return? DM!

Anyone know where to get lift tickets for breck/keystone for discount? Anyone have epic pass that I can rent out and return? DM!

Only disco I know of is buying online in advance. Further out you buy, better the price, but its not a huge discount.
Pretty sure Epic passes are photo ID'd, so thats a risky road to go down

Not sure about Breck/Keystone but the Vail owned resorts in Tahoe don't do discount tickets. But I would check out the local Costco to see what they have

Back
Top Bottom