so Harry Belafonte Condemns Jay-z and beyonce Vol. Bruce Springsteen is black to him

ob·li·ga·tion   [ob-li-gey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
1. something by which a person is bound or obliged to do certain things, and which arises out of a sense of duty or results from custom, law, etc.

2. something that is done or is to be done for such reasons: to fulfill one's obligations.

3. a binding promise, contract, sense of duty, etc.

4. the act of binding or obliging oneself by a promise, contract, etc.

So reading those definitions, none of that stuff can exist in real life? An obligation is nothing more than something you FEEL like you have to do. Its not saying theres a giant invisible yoke pulling you in that direction, but feelings of obligation are derived from you're culture. So yes a mother will be obligated to feed her child out of that sense of duty. Will every mother do it? Unfortunately no, but billions of mothers have been doing it since the beginning of time, due to that feeling of obligation
Nope.

Look. 

If you don't want to give me a ride across town, what separates you from doing that to deciding to feed your child?

Its a choice.

Extreme example, but its all a choice.

I hate to make it this simple, but you all aren't understanding that having money does not obligate you to help others.

Would it be nice? Sure, but if Jay-Z doesn't want to help me, me badgering him and reminding him of who made him what he is isn't going to make that more likely to happen. He will do what he wants, when he wants and if any of it benefits me, then I'll take it. If it doesn't, then it is, what it is. 

Last edited:
the block feature :pimp: no sillyputty cluttering my NT :rolleyes

sillyputty and his black and white empiricism is a clear failure. :x its really his ignorance covered up by all this material..

Jay-Z is Jay...not 'Hov'...thats what the problem is with these ****** doing all this devilish stuff then they have the nerve to claim they're 5%..nahhhhh :smh:

the underlying narrative is there in hip hop.

Last edited:
You're not getting it. (and this is why I don't think you comprehend the free-will fallacy in religion)

If you have a choice to do anything, then you're not obligated to do anything. 

That does not make any bit of sense. 
It doesn't make sense to you. Doesn't mean its senseless..
Actually, thats not true either. 

Would I value a picture of your grandmother as much as you? Nope. 

But making an argument to the extent of our understanding of the universe? Yes, thats something that can be analyzed and totally rejected. 

IN MY BELIEFS  I'm obligated to do right in life. Even basic traffics law, I'm obligated to abide by those laws. Or I'll face punishment. BUT I still have the freedom to say no I don't want to drive 35 MPH in a 35 zone. I want to go 60 MPH. Do I not? Is that not freedom of choice?
You don't do "right" 

You do what you've been ASKED to do.

Society asks you not to kill. 

Society asks you to follow laws.

You comply.

Its all a choice. 

Thats not your belief. Thats your choice to agree with what society has asked you to do. 

Choice. 

So in my spiritual beliefs, I'm obligated to do many things because God wants me to.
The stuff you "SAY" that "god" says....right? 
 I have the freedom to say no, I'm going to do things my way. That is my freedom.
Yes, the moments when you go against what god wants you to do. 
roll.gif

But you do what god wants you to do? Right?

A contradiction. One sentence afterwards, nonetheless. 
Like the laws of the land, if I break his laws I will face the consequences.
Except when you make a CHOICE to not follow them, right? 

Back to the topic at hand though. I rather not derail the issue at hand
Fine by me. 

If you don't want to give me a ride across town, what separates you from doing that to deciding to feed your child?

A biochemical impetus for a mother to feed her child and a rational thought process, which can prioritize tasks based on importance.

Have a seat.

A biochemical impetus for a mother to feed her child and a rational thought process, which can prioritize tasks based on importance.

Have a seat.
Nope. 

Still a choice. Try again.

You can choose not to feed your kid if you want. 

Its my understanding that some words exist as a definition of concepts that don't really exist in themselves. 

In my eyes, "obligation" is a word that is defined only by the culture/society/context that it is present in. Its not an objective term in any sense of the word.

It gets revered because its almost romanticized. 

Socially, its clean to say "a man has an obligation to his kids" because obviously its hard for a society to progress in a structured and consistent fashion (so we can all reach higher heights as a society) if we have a bunch of kids without active parents. 

Sam Harris (neuroscientist) actually argues that "free will" doesn't exist in an electrochemical sense because we're limited by the information we receive about the world through different stimuli, but thats an argument gets down to the biology of what "perception" is. 

Where do these words or meanings come from?

IN MY BELIEFS I'm obligated to do right in life. Even basic traffics law, I'm obligated to abide by those laws. Or I'll face punishment. BUT I still have the freedom to say no I don't want to drive 35 MPH in a 35 zone. I want to go 60 MPH. Do I not? Is that not freedom of choice?
You don't do "right"

You comply.

Its all a choice.

Thats not your belief. Thats your choice to agree with what society has asked you to do.

Choice.

The right thing to do is not kill and follow the laws, right? I have the freedom to decide whether I want to comply, right?

You try so hard to define things.

Last edited:
Nope. 

Still a choice. Try again.

You can choose not to feed your kid if you want. 
The question wasn't if its a choice or not. You asked what separates the actions of feeding a child and giving a friend a ride.

Troll harder.
Nope.

Still the same.

A choice. 

The only thing I will give you is hormonal link between a mothers lactation and her child, but I'm talking having the CHOICE of going home and fixing your kid some rice and chicken. Even still, its a mothers choice to put that nipple in her childs mouth.

Choice. 

Last edited:
Nope.

Still the same.

A choice. 

The only thing I will give you is hormonal link between a mothers lactation and her child, but I'm talking having the CHOICE of going home and fixing your kid some rice and chicken. Even still, its a mothers choice to put that nipple in her childs mouth.

Choice. 

Its a choice to fulfill your obligation, right?

FutureMD is Sillyputty??? :smh:

I was wondering who this fool was............... :x

He can't help himself, if he would just sit down and burn a spliff........................... :smokin

Nope.

Still the same.

A choice. 

Choice. 

I didn't say it wasn't a choice.

You simply asked what was the difference between those choices.

You rage out of control until you back yourself into a corner and then twist people's words and distort the conversation so that you can weasel your way out of it.

Try making your point in a civilized manner for once, it would have more of an impact.

Last edited:
Nope.

Still the same.

A choice. 

Choice. 
Its a choice to fulfill your obligation, right?
There.

Is.

no.

Such.

Thing.

As.

An.

Obligation.

Get that through your head. 

Are you scared to know that things aren't as structured as you thought they were? 

What are you afraid of? Learning the real power that humanity has the ability to be as "good" or as "bad" as it wants to be?

No one is in control but YOU my man. 

Its all choices.

All the way down the rabbit hole.

You have just as much of a choice to wear a seatbelt or to tell your wife you love her or to kill your neighbors dog.

Choice. 

Last edited:
Nope.

Still the same.

A choice. 

Choice. 
I didn't say it wasn't a choice.

You simply asked what was the difference between those choices.

You rage out of control until you back yourself into a corner and then twist people's words and distort the conversation so that you can weasel your way out of it.

Try making your point in a civilized manner for once, it would have more of an impact.
I wasn't arguing for the difference between choices, only that you realized that they were choices in and of themselves.

Getting back to the original topic. Jay-Z doesn't have an obligation to "do more" and on top of that, Belafonte made Jay sound like he hasn't done ANYTHING...which is just a flat out lie. 

If you're going to make bold statements, you open yourself up for bold responses. 

IN MY BELIEFS I'm obligated to do right in life. Even basic traffics law, I'm obligated to abide by those laws. Or I'll face punishment. BUT I still have the freedom to say no I don't want to drive 35 MPH in a 35 zone. I want to go 60 MPH. Do I not? Is that not freedom of choice?
You don't do "right"

You comply.

Its all a choice.

Choice.

The right thing to do is not kill and follow the laws, right? I have the freedom to decide whether I want to comply, right?

You try so hard to define things.
You have the choice to decide if you want to kill or follow laws.

Whats hard to understand about that?

Harry should probably look in to who he's calling out. I'd never expect Jay-Z or Beyonce to step up and be socially responsible. He probably just saw that they're rich, famous, and black so they should be more active and relevant in that arena but nah it's Jay-Z, you need to look to someone more responsible than that.

There.

Is.

no.

Such.

Thing.

As.

An.

Obligation.

Its all choices.

You have just as much of a choice to wear a seatbelt or to tell your wife you love her or to kill your neighbors dog.

Choice. 

YES!
YES!
YES!

There is a such thing as obligation. You can't redefine everything to fit your arguments. Sorry but life does NOT work that way.

You have the choice to decide if you want to kill or follow laws.

Whats hard to understand about that?

Isn't that what I was already saying though? I have the freedom to choose if I want to do right or wrong?

Last edited:
Harry should probably look in to who he's calling out. I'd never expect Jay-Z or Beyonce to step up and be socially responsible. He probably just saw that they're rich, famous, and black so they should be more active and relevant in that arena but nah it's Jay-Z, you need to look to someone more responsible than that.

I think that was his point. Why dont we expect jay and beyonce to be voices. Somebody that wields the influence that he does, should use it to make people (particularly in the black community) more aware in a sense.

Now people are saying maybe they do in private etc. Thats ok for you and me, but when you can reach alot more people its a difference.

Last edited:
There.

Is.

no.

Such.

Thing.

As.

An.

Obligation.

Its all choices.

Choice. 
YES!
YES!
YES!

There is a such thing as obligation. You can't redefine everything to fit your arguments. Sorry but life does NOT work that way.

What is an obligation that exists innately in and of itself?

name one thing that is not a choice but an obligation.

To have a living entity, cellular respiration is an obligation. Is living an obligation? The universe says no. 
I thought you do what god tells you to do. Do you have a choice if god tells you what to do?

Last edited:
FutureMD is Sillyputty??? :smh:

I was wondering who this fool was............... :x

He can't help himself, if he would just sit down and burn a spliff........................... :smokin

im sayin

look at his join date to post ratio

thats 1k post a month son :x

dude goin no where in life if he seriously spending this much time in NT :lol:

strong future md :lol:

Last edited:

I think that was his point. Why dont we expect jay and beyonce to be voices. Somebody that wields the influence that he does, should use it to make people (particularly in the black community) more aware in a sense.

Now people are saying maybe they do in private etc. Thats ok for you and me, but when you can reach alot more people its a difference.

when i say in private, i just mean hes not getting news write ups regarding it. partly because the media aint tryna write a story on jay-z and beyonce's philanthropy, and partly because, they probably don't want to come off as praise seeking type people. but the people they help, will notice and appreciate jay-z and beyonce for much more than entertainers. more than that though, what all can jay-z and beyonce do? yes they are influential, but lets be real, a lot of the problems with the black community are well documented so people are aware... its about how do you usher in change. now what i assume belafonte is saying is that jay and b need to do more than a few lines in their lyrics or a few topical interviews or a few cameos at social events. but what you're essentially asking them to start to do is sacrifice their time, their resources and their privacy which is a big thing to ask someone. itd be incredible if they would but im not going to knock them if they dont, nor will i expect them to because of how successful they are.

Its funny because "obligation" has existed for thousands of years until Putty decided a couple hours ago that it doesnt exist anymore

What is an obligation that exists innately in and of itself?

name one thing that is not a choice but an obligation.

To have a living entity, cellular respiration is an obligation. Is living an obligation? The universe says no.

Do you know what obligation is? Not in your own definition but the one that is already in existence.

1.something by which a person is bound or obliged to do certain things, and which arises out of a sense of duty or results from custom, law, etc.
2.something that is done or is to be done for such reasons: to fulfill one's obligations.
3.a binding promise, contract, sense of duty, etc.
4.the act of binding or obliging oneself by a promise, contract, etc.
5.Law .
a.
an agreement enforceable by law, originally applied to promises under seal.
b.
a document containing such an agreement.
c.
a bond containing a penalty, with a condition annexed for payment of money, performance of covenants, etc.

It its a mothers duty and to care for her child. She has the choice to do so or not but she has a obligation to take proper care of her child.

Its funny because "obligation" has existed for thousands of years until Putty decided a couple hours ago that it doesnt exist anymore

Too damn smart for his own good. He's grown from smart to smug an arrogant.

Its to a point where I seriously wonder what he inner circle is like. If he has a girl/wife, does she see this side of him :lol:

Would she be like him? Do they argue extensively about toppings on their pizza? Does she also have folders, a briefcase, phone, tablet, pc and laptop on standby to research and prove why regular bacon is batter than Canadian bacon? :lol:

Its all in good fun Putty/MD. So I would hope you take none of it personal.

Last edited:
What is an obligation?

If you're just going to re-word the concept of "choice" then don't bother. 

Back
Top Bottom