SO I GOT BANNED FOR NOT TIPPING LOL

I no longer work in the food service industry, but I've had plenty of jobs as a busboy, barista, and server (work in IT now.)

I absolutely HATE when people think that tips are required. Tipping is OPTIONAL. I lived on tips for 2~3 years in college, so I know how inconsistent checks can be and how appreciated those tips really are by others in the industry. But, those tips should only be the result of that individual's hustle and no one should feel shamed into forking over an additional 10-15% because "thats just what you do." The bare minimum is what you should make when you provide bare minimum service, PERIOD.

Maybe its because I'm biased and have experience, but its really not hard to be a decent waiter. You seat guests at a clean table, grab menus/cutlery/water, and then just make your rounds. I was incredibly lazy, took cigarette breaks all the time, but still managed to get decent tips because I was nice, paid attention, and made sure to check in regularly with every table. Its not difficult.

The people who feel entitled to tips, by and large, are the laziest workers. The cats that show up at 2:05 when their shift started at 2, or would check off the sanitizing buckets even though the water was ice cold. Worked at a place on campus, a random resturant, and my family's cafe... It was always the same types with complaints like "Ugh, I just waited on those guys and all they tipped was $2 on their huge bill!" Well, maybe if you weren't busy talking **** about them within ear shot, or checked on them more than 1 time every 30 minutes, they'd be inclined to give more.

Miss me with that "they need tips cause they only make $3/hr!" BS. That's the owners/managements issue, not mine. They accepted that job knowing the pay scale. They have the ability to seek other work. Even if you live in the middle of nowhere, theres gotta be a gas station, McDonalds, whatever else that you can elect to do. But most won't because they know an untaxed $3/hr with a few dollars of tips every hour job pays better than a $7/hr job thats taxed (and i know people are supposed to pay taxes on tips, but no one does.)

If you don't like it, boss up and gain skills that will make you hireable in another field. I know its possible because I did it. The socioeconomic conditions in the US are not that bad yet. Welfare and unemployment are there in case you stumble, and were created for that very reason.

how would I know NT would rep this non sense

decent waiters don't deserved to be stiffed by a bunch of cheapskates, problem is most of NT lives in this little bubble where a lot of people share this minority view compared to outside of NT
I'm sorry but the job isn't based on what you deserve.

If you want more money for doing a job you're suppose to do talk to your boss about better pay. Go form a union or something.

Don't complain and act as if you deserve something you're not willing to fight for.
tipping is not just for "exceptional" service. it's a common courtesy and if you can't or won't tip for standard service, you shouldn't be eating at restaurants. take your food home. simple.
Last I checked, common courtesy isn't mandatory. If someone doesn't want to be courteous then nothing should compel them to.

You saying the person shouldn't do something because of something they don't want to do is ridiculous in the most passive aggressive way possible. You can not dictate what others should or should not do.

Last edited:
To the dude who asked, Oklahoma with tips minimum wage is $2.14. Regular minimum wage is like $7.50 though.

It's just such a flawed system, it doesn't really work well for anyone other than the owners and people who work at high dollar establishments.

I'm not sure a waiter at Ruth Chris Steakhouse does anymore work than one at Denny's. Sure, they dress nicer and are generally nicer looking (and certainly the building and therefore ambiance itself), but you're tipping for walking from the kitchen to your table and back, and to the soda machine. But at Ruth Chris a 6oz sirloin, baked potato, salad, and lemonade costs ~$150 and at Denny's it's about $15.

You don't see this business model anywhere else in industry.

We could pay less for flights if everyone was just expected to tip the pilot on arrival. And that's a real "service" that you were incapable of providing/doing yourself so it'd be more deserved right, plus you won't him/her to do it right every time.

Stores could lower their prices too and just expect us to tip cashiers as well.

Teachers, crossing guards, doctors, janitors; all provide a "service" we should tip for.

And being a black person especially, you're often going to get ****** service (not like I even expect much anyways, usually probably 1 drink refill and I'm out, I'm not the type to linger all day when I go out to eat) anyways then when you leave a tip commensurate to that ******, of course the server gets mad and "is going to remember you," or "is going to put special sauce on your wings next time." So what was I supposed to do? Tip him excellently for ****** service to get on their good side, so next time hopefully I get the same waiter and he/she remembers me and does better?

Just the same as everyone is quick to say, "if you don't want to be expected to tip, don't go out to eat," one could say, "If you dont want to have to rely on the generosity of others and the extent to which they feel bound by unwritten, not legally binding, so called societal norms, get a real job/skill," but then people act like you're a monster for feeling that way but will justify all day angry *** waitstaff ******* with your food.

I get so amused how waitresses at places like Hooters or Twin Peaks will sit at the table next to you when they take your order, and dudes fall for the okie doke every time.
This tipping game is tricky because

Exactly! Thanks

$2 is insane if that's a low level restaurant but not at crustaceans or even Flemings. These more upscale restaurants have waiters driving Mercedes man no lie and they getting a decent salary like around $20 as hour at least with benefits and prob average around $20 per table at least! So yeah def the owners and upscale waiters are coming up! Even the bartenders and baristas at upscale spots are coming up.

I used to have mixed feelings about tipping in regards to feeling guilty if I chose not to for whatever reason but if the server has an attitude or I can sense they not feeling me by how they serve me or something negative, it's either one of two options: no tip or low tip, period!

To the folks saying "just stay home", are displaying tunnel vision. Dude could have just moved in a new spot with no fridge no microwave etc or might be on the road but still needs to eat, right? Ok so if he is tight on funds he might not want to tip and I don't see anything wrong with that because it's enough followers and suckas out here that's gone do it because it's the "norm" so they will be good. It's more folks tipping than those not tipping.

how would I know NT would rep this non sense

decent waiters don't deserved to be stiffed by a bunch of cheapskates, problem is most of NT lives in this little bubble where a lot of people share this minority view compared to outside of NT

No one deserves to be stiffed when they are doing a satisfactory job. That's not what I, or anyone to my knowledge, has said. The problem arises when someone who is doing a C level works expects B or A level treatment. Tips aren't required, they are earned.

I worked as a server, so I know both sides. There are cheap people who will never tip no matter the level of service. While that sucked for me when I was a server, in no way would I compromise the level of service that I provide because of it. Why? Because that's a poor reflection of the establishment and my character, and people are always watching. I've had completely different tables leave tips with notes like "Sorry you had to deal with that ******* who ordered seafood, please do something fun with this $10!"

This not tipping thing is not a minority view. Name one other place in the non-western world where tipping is not only a cultural practice, but an expectation regardless of service. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen elsewhere, but there are few examples if any. Because it doesn't make sense. It falls on the business owner.
Respect.

You hit the nail on the head about reflecting on your character and the establishment.

Seen a lot of tipping threads and there's plenty of scumbag low class NTers, some who currently work in the service industry that could learn a lot. A few even take it overboard to revealing their racism and other prejudices based on their experience with the job.

Last edited:
OP when was the last time you did tip? what was the bill/tip looking like? Did they stand by you the entire time and massage your shoulder while you ate?

Even if the service aint good I still throw a tip

Cuz baby Imma classic man!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of the time my ex and her mom was asked to pay more in tip at some restaurant in nyc

It would be funny if somewhere down the line OP's kids end up in food service and end up complaining about how they're busting their butts at work but don't get enough tips..

Most of you folks that don't tip/refuse to tip probably aren't working professionals. If I were to go out to lunch with a client or whatever, I'd quickly get judged if I were not to tip. 

You gotta factor tip into the total expense of the meal. Move to Europe where tipping isn't customary.

Either way, #brokeboy gonna brokeboy

why does someone who doesn't tip have to be considered a broke boy.

michael jordan and scottie pippen are notoriously known for not tipping, i doubt they fit the broke boy category

It would be funny if somewhere down the line OP's kids end up in food service and end up complaining about how they're busting their butts at work but don't get enough tips..

Most of you folks that don't tip/refuse to tip probably aren't working professionals. If I were to go out to lunch with a client or whatever, I'd quickly get judged if I were not to tip. 

You gotta factor tip into the total expense of the meal. Move to Europe where tipping isn't customary.

Your clients should judge you for being a try hard

Last edited:
Seriously tho .. Tipping by the hour is better than tipping by the amount of your bill ? Unless $180 of food deserves more tipping than 40$ of food

Seriously tho .. Tipping by the hour is better than tipping by the amount of your bill ? Unless $180 of food deserves more tipping than 40$ of food
This. Expecting me to tip more because I want chicken added to my pasta

You're clients should judge you for being a try hard
Nah. It's tougher to build relationships when there's negative reflection on either side

make your own food if you aren't gonna tip guy.
doesn't have to be huge, around 15% is not that much, especially at a pizza restaurant guy.
you said service was ok, not terrible, no reason not to tip a minimum 15% guy.
you cheap brah!

why does someone who doesn't tip have to be considered a broke boy.

michael jordan and scottie pippen are notoriously known for not tipping, i doubt they fit the broke boy category

Because in the mind of one who is poor, either in finance or judgement, a person must show that they have money in order for them to have money. :lol:

There are wealthy people that do not tip. There are poor people that do not tip. It's a dumb, illogical insult that people turn to because they know you won't be tipping them the next time you visit Applebees for half off apps.

Last edited:
:lol: at the rapid progression of this thread. I had no clue NT felt this strongly about tipping.

Because in the mind of one who is poor, either in finance or judgement, a person must show that they have money in order for them to have money.
laugh.gif

There are wealthy people that do not tip. There are poor people that do not tip. It's a dumb, illogical insult that people turn to because they know you won't be tipping them the next time you visit Applebees for half off apps.
facts,    you and the other dude in here that's a server have been speaking some truth in this thread and its still people trying to disagree with you guys on the whole tipping topic even though they never worked a single day as a server.

and spot on about C service expecting a B or A tip.  

make your own food if you aren't gonna tip guy.
doesn't have to be huge, around 15% is not that much, especially at a pizza restaurant guy.
you said service was ok, not terrible, no reason not to tip a minimum 15% guy.
you cheap brah!
The cost on the menu is how much you pay to have your food cooked for you tho

Back
Top Bottom