So I'm listening to LAD and....

e5mr9e.jpg

2ecn761.jpg

It changed hip hop.

Forever.

G thats basically whats taking place in this post, in terms of the defamation of LAD... however make a thread about The Carter and its one of the best lps todrop since Illmatic.

Then again I have to remember the demographic I'm dealing with on this board
tired.gif

To answer the original question, I think it's because B.I.G. had a way of doing both. He made commercial records, but he never slouched lyrically. Biggienever came wack whether it was a street record, or something for the club. MY commercial records is alot of artist sacrifice craft for making a hit and gettingpaid. No one is on some "lemme make music for free". It's that a lot of people refuse to circumvent their craft for making money. Biggie wasgreat because he found a balance between the 2

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

c3b15c4f77815aab8453d8e7d16bfb49da4b4ec.gif

So this is what music has come to this day and age... ARE YOU ##*%@%* KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!

[table][tr][td][/td] [td]1.[/td] [td]Life After Death Intro [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]2.[/td] [td]Somebody's Gotta Die [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]3.[/td] [td]Hypnotize /images/icon-lyrics.gif[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]4.[/td] [td]Kick in the Door [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]5.[/td] [td]#!*@ You Tonight - (featuring R. Kelly)[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]6.[/td] [td]Last Day - (featuring The Lox) /images/icon-lyrics.gif[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]7.[/td] [td]I Love the Dough - (featuring Jay-Z/Angela Winbush) [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]8.[/td] [td]What's Beef? /images/icon-lyrics.gif[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]9.[/td] [td]B.I.G. Interlude [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]10.[/td] [td]Mo Money Mo Problems - (featuring Mase/Puff Daddy) [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]11.[/td] [td]*#*#%* Bleed [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]12.[/td] [td]I Got a Story to Tell [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td]
Life After Death Songs DISC 2:[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]1.[/td] [td]Notorious Thugs [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]2.[/td] [td]Miss U /images/icon-lyrics.gif[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]3.[/td] [td]Another - (featuring Lil' Kim) [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]4.[/td] [td]Going Back to Cali /images/icon-lyrics.gif[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]5.[/td] [td]Ten Crack Commandments /images/icon-lyrics.gif[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]6.[/td] [td]Playa Hater [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]7.[/td] [td]Nasty Boy /images/icon-lyrics.gif[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]8.[/td] [td]Sky's the Limit [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]9.[/td] [td]World Is Filled..., The - (featuring Too $hort/Puff Daddy)[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]10.[/td] [td]My Downfall - (featuring DMC) [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]11.[/td] [td]Long Kiss Goodnight [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]12.[/td] [td]You're Nobody (Til Somebody Kills You)[/td] [/tr][/table]
Minus the 3 songs bolded pick another commercial song on this lp???

Furthermore minus the 3 songs italicized I'd like somebody to point out the filler in this lp???

I guess we don't hear things the same this day and age, for this album to be called commercial and subpar yet lps like the Bluepring are considered to be masterpieces is just disgusting to me. I'm in no way shape or form an elitest, I just see any logic to these statements. You take the 3 songs I italicized off this album and it satisfies every single level of hip hop artistry at a level thats beyond excellent.

I honest to god do not know what the hell those who have a distaste for this lp are listening to. Seriously, I find myself in a state of utter confusion reading this *#!@. Extremely perplexed
smh.gif

$*+!%%$ you tonight
I Love The Dough
Another
The World is Filled
Nasty Boy
Miss U
Skys the Limit
laugh.gif
yo Half of the album is commercial...
I think that was the point of the album...
This was supposed to be a event type of album...His ten million selling type of album...
and he acheived that...
He had the streets and the commercial
The blueprint for albums like Get Rich or Die Trying...
That also doesnt stop it from being one of the greatest rap albums of all time (Top 10...Baby)
When this comes on only 2 times does my hand push that skip button ($*+!%%$ u tonight and nasty boy)...

G thats basically whats taking place in this post, in terms of the defamation of LAD... however make a thread about The Carter and its one of the best lps to drop since Illmatic.

Then again I have to remember the demographic I'm dealing with on this board
tired.gif
IDK about that...especially with the amount of hate Wayne gets now. Maybe a couple years ago.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

And Life After Death mops the floor with Wu Tang Forever, and I love that album also, but its not even close, he lyrically out does ALL 9 of them with disc ONE alone . . .

O...and for the record...
Inspectah Decks verse on Triumph>any verse on Life After Death...
Ghostface verse on Impossible>any verse on Life After Death...
Gza's Verse on Reunited>better then most verses on Life After Death...

This has nothing to do with what i said earlier its just that statement above me kinda bugged me
laugh.gif
Even though life After Death is still better...They are in the same league...and should be compared to each other...

I like life after death the lyrics are stepped up for real, but it's not as raw as ready to die, but I still think it's a great album even if it'scommercial, some songs I can do with out, but it's only a few

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

I've TRIED to like his album, but I just can't. I don't understand how people can put this album up there with other greats. There are some tracks I like but overall, it just didn't do it for me. I've said this album is overrated a lot
laugh.gif
and I always catch heat for it. I'm not a big fan of "commercial" music but I won't hate on someone trying to get there paper. But how are people going to say this is up there lyrically with other greats? @%%@ you tonight?
sick.gif
Another?
sick.gif
Nasty boy?
sick.gif
I'm not a fan of Hypnotize or Mo Money Mo Problems either, but I'll leave those ones out of it.
laugh.gif
Honestly, if you think those have great lyrics, I don't know what to say. I guess you can say they have good lyrics compared to other commercial $!#@ that comes out, but that doesn't make this album one of the best of all time.

So basically, I'm just trying to say it was a good commercial album I guess (not my style but I can see why some people may like it), but it ain't anywhere near other great/classic albums.
So basically you singled out the three tracks that everyone else is saying they would leave off just to tell us that it was a good album anyway...

and you TRIED to like the album HA?...

laugh.gif
The only tracks I really liked on this album were somebody's gotta die, %+@+$* bleed, notorious thugs, miss u, and you're nobody. What's beefand ten crack commandments were koo too. But honestly, I didn't feel the rest of the album. But I know that's just me
laugh.gif
. If you like the album, finemusic is a personal preference but I still can't believe people think it's a top 15 album of all time. There's probably over 30 albums I wouldpersonally listen to over this. But I'm tried of arguing about this album
laugh.gif
. I guess it just depends on what kind of music you like.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

I've TRIED to like his album, but I just can't. I don't understand how people can put this album up there with other greats. There are some tracks I like but overall, it just didn't do it for me. I've said this album is overrated a lot
laugh.gif
and I always catch heat for it. I'm not a big fan of "commercial" music but I won't hate on someone trying to get there paper. But how are people going to say this is up there lyrically with other greats? @%%@ you tonight?
sick.gif
Another?
sick.gif
Nasty boy?
sick.gif
I'm not a fan of Hypnotize or Mo Money Mo Problems either, but I'll leave those ones out of it.
laugh.gif
Honestly, if you think those have great lyrics, I don't know what to say. I guess you can say they have good lyrics compared to other commercial $!#@ that comes out, but that doesn't make this album one of the best of all time.

So basically, I'm just trying to say it was a good commercial album I guess (not my style but I can see why some people may like it), but it ain't anywhere near other great/classic albums.
So basically you singled out the three tracks that everyone else is saying they would leave off just to tell us that it was a good album anyway...

and you TRIED to like the album HA?...

laugh.gif
The only tracks I really liked on this album were somebody's gotta die, %+@+$* bleed, notorious thugs, miss u, and you're nobody. What's beef and ten crack commandments were koo too. But honestly, I didn't feel the rest of the album. But I know that's just me
laugh.gif
. If you like the album, fine music is a personal preference but I still can't believe people think it's a top 15 album of all time. There's probably over 30 albums I would personally listen to over this. But I'm tried of arguing about this album
laugh.gif
. I guess it just depends on what kind of music you like.
Props for this post.

And this is EXACTLY why I do not argue about music anymore... Its all about personal preference.

Nasty boy?
sick.gif

How the *+%% can you not like Nasty Boy??????

You hear what we was spittin on that?

It seems like everybody wants rap to be on some depressing +$@%.

If you can't vibe out to Nasty Boy speeding down the freeway with some chicks in the backseat after leaving the club...something's wrong.

Originally Posted by Dapper D

$*+!%%$ you tonight
I Love The Dough
Another
The World is Filled
Nasty Boy
Miss U
Skys the Limit
laugh.gif
This was supposed to be a event type of album...His ten million selling type of album...
and he acheived that...
That also doesnt stop it from being one of the greatest rap albums of all time (Top 10...Baby)
When this comes on only 2 times does my hand push that skip button ($*+!%%$ u tonight and nasty boy)...

Maybe it all boils down to what a person defines as commercial. I hear the term commerical and I think "Hard Knock Life" ... "Hypnotize"...something tailored specifically for mainstream/cross over appeal. I don't see that with any of those songs you name minus Sky's the Limit.

Maybe the definition is flawed these days.

How can you NOT like "$**%**$ You Tonight"?? How can ANYone who's ever had a lady in their life NOT relate?? He made this joint for us, I mean Ican't take a chick to San Tropez, but goin to Red Lobster, shopping and !!+% EVERY weekend becomes a strain on the pockets . . . Then this joint comes on.
pimp.gif

The older I get, the more I appreciate this album, there comes a point where damn near EVERY song make PERFECT sense . . .

$*+!%%$ you tonight
I Love The Dough
Another
The World is Filled
Nasty Boy
Miss U
Skys the Limit
laugh.gif
and he acheived that...

Maybe it all boils down to what a person defines as commercial. I hear the term commerical and I think "Hard Knock Life" ... "Hypnotize"... something tailored specifically for mainstream/cross over appeal. I don't see that with any of those songs you name minus Sky's the Limit.

Maybe the definition is flawed these days.

laugh.gif
all those songs are mainstream/cross over appeal type of songs...
Commercial beat...Check...
Catchy R&B chrous...Check...
Light Subject matter...Check...
Something females will get into...Check...
Songs You would hear in club...Check...You Get The Point...

Alright Dap... I'll give you all of those (they play Missing U in the club???)

sidenote... Your sig just reminded me of something I planned on doing
laugh.gif
... good %%@ with that as well
pimp.gif

This board is %#! backwards. Dudes want to praise @##!#@%@ and at the same time talk down about this album.

First off Big never got a "pass". He came in the game on some commercial type @%+# (Juicy) to begin with, but also had the streets on lock. Thedifference with Big is that he knew how to balance it perfectly. Y'all gotta remember when RTD came out being "commercial" was frowned upon untilBig showed if done correctly it can be beneficial to all parties. Son achieved a certain level with that album and did nothing more than try to push it to thenext one with LAD......and it worked. And for the record, I'd take some of the "filler" on this album over a lot of todays singles.

I dont think this cd is perfect but at the same time I dont see how anyone cant rock with it.

"Playa Hater"
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Explain to me what Deck was trying to say on that "Truimph" verse?? The %%!* was hot, but exactly what point do YOU think he was tryin to get across. . . Not to mention he spit it on a Tony Touch mixtape BEFORE Wu-Tang Forever came out

Ghostface story on impossible is better than the story BIG told on "Somebodys Gotta Die"?? "Ninjaz Bleed"?? "I Got A Story ToTell"?? OK . . .

Gza?? Dude has absolutely NO charisma, how can you even compare him to an MC with as much personality as BIG, that's an insult to the art. Gza is ill nodoubt, but lets just be serious here . . .

"Its ill when MCs used to be on cruddy %%!*/
Took home Ready To Die LISTENED studied %%!*/
Now they on some money %%!*? Succesful out the gate"

I love Wu, but Rae and Ghost wasn't on that Scarface %%!* when they first came out, Ready To Die was the beginning of this "Coke" rap, Cuban Linxwas basically the FIRST album to be formulated around JUST that . . . But I don't really remember them talkin about keys and being out of town till AFTERReady To Die hit. I know Ghost REALLY did his thing or whatever, but they wasn't talkin about that on record until BIG basically made it possible for aneast coast artist to make OUR version of "Gangsta" rap, which is this "Coke" rap, all the way down to the robberies and %%!* . . .

Go back and listen to Ghost & Rae's verses off of 36 Chambers, tell me how many "Coke" refernces they have between the 2 of them.

$*+!%%$ you tonight
I Love The Dough
Another
The World is Filled
Nasty Boy
Miss U
Skys the Limit
laugh.gif
7 out of 24 isnt half. I wouldnt call a few of those commercial anyway.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Explain to me what Deck was trying to say on that "Truimph" verse?? The %%!* was hot, but exactly what point do YOU think he was tryin to get across . . . Not to mention he spit it on a Tony Touch mixtape BEFORE Wu-Tang Forever came out

Ghostface story on impossible is better than the story BIG told on "Somebodys Gotta Die"?? "Ninjaz Bleed"?? "I Got A Story To Tell"?? OK . . .

Gza?? Dude has absolutely NO charisma, how can you even compare him to an MC with as much personality as BIG, that's an insult to the art. Gza is ill no doubt, but lets just be serious here . . .

"Its ill when MCs used to be on cruddy %%!*/
Took home Ready To Die LISTENED studied %%!*/
Now they on some money %%!*? Succesful out the gate"

I love Wu, but Rae and Ghost wasn't on that Scarface %%!* when they first came out, Ready To Die was the beginning of this "Coke" rap, Cuban Linx was basically the FIRST album to be formulated around JUST that . . . But I don't really remember them talkin about keys and being out of town till AFTER Ready To Die hit. I know Ghost REALLY did his thing or whatever, but they wasn't talkin about that on record until BIG basically made it possible for an east coast artist to make OUR version of "Gangsta" rap, which is this "Coke" rap, all the way down to the robberies and %%!* . . .

Go back and listen to Ghost & Rae's verses off of 36 Chambers, tell me how many "Coke" refernces they have between the 2 of them.

Well the stand out track on 36 had Rae spittin about that life G

Cash Rules... lets not take it to the Big v Wu that's a battle for a different thread/day

I swear Harlme On The Rise and Untitled have to be some of the most ignorant n_'s on this board.
smh.gif

Honestly you two kill me. N_'s really be demanding that you explain to them why you don't like something.
roll.gif

And then have the nerve to call you the NT A&R.
tired.gif

Honestly I've never seen a bigger fit thrown over something so trivial. Nobody (Except for one dude) has said they didn't likeweren't really feeling the album.

I stand by my OG statement. I'd drop Nasty Boy, Another, & @@*% You Tonight. I'd drop Hypnotize too simply because I like every remaining track onthe album more. I don't give @@*% if it was the number one song in the nation. FOH.

I swear yall n_'s just like to argue. It's not OK to @@*% with LAD heavy, n_'s really gotta have in their top ten and deem it a flawless display ofperfection in musical form.
roll.gif

Oh I forgot, the rest of idiots haven't actually listened to what this n_ BIG was saying.
grin.gif

The problem is you guys are too scared to admit that you like something. I guarantee 90% of you go on wikipedia and check the reviews before you can say analbum is in your top 10. Learn how to form your opinion.

And what is MidEastBeast even doing in this thread. You got Vinnie Paz and JMT as your G.O.A.T. That right off the bat eliminates you from giving your 2 centson this conversation.

Originally Posted by purplehazze96

I swear Harlme On The Rise and Untitled have to be some of the most ignorant n_'s on this board.
smh.gif

Honestly you two kill me. N_'s really be demanding that you explain to them why you don't like something.
roll.gif

That actually does make me chuckle everytime
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Tom Jooks

The problem is you guys are too scared to admit that you like something. I guarantee 90% of you go on wikipedia and check the reviews before you can say an
album is in your top 10. Learn how to form your opinion.

^who the +@$% are you determine that about other peoples opinions? I swear, that's why this forum is a %+%# hole. Too many dudes who think they know morethan the next guy, on some "holier than thou" tip.

N_ said he guarantees 90% people are incapable of forming their own opinions. Does Wikipedia even give album reviews?

It's time to bounce yo. Maybe you're right, either way it's a loose loose for the people who actually care about this %+%#.

Back
Top Bottom