So who else is having a hard time finding a job?

I've been trying to switch jobs into what I actually want to do and I'm having a super hard time. It's annoying and I've been feeling pretty down about myself lately because of it
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

you almost gotta know somebody to get a job
This. Forget online applications... I applied to 20-25 online ads and got nothing. As soon as a friend told me there was an opening at her company, I put in my resume and had an interview the next day.
Now I'll be a college admission counselor with a journalism/English degree, but hey, it's work. Good luck NTers, stay strong.

My best advice for finding a quick/temporary job is a large chain grocery store. They usually have such incompetent employees that anyone walking in with a resume and nice shirt on usually gets an interview.

After 5 years working at the same company unfortunately I was laid off. I did find work a month after but quit after a month. I've put countless hours in submitting resumes and applications and talking to people I know about getting hired. Sadly its come to the point where im moving back to moms house after living on my own for 5 years. I turn 23 today btw. I never thought id be one of those to be in this difficult situation.

I guess I really gotta start saving my money seeing all these unemployed NTers. Fortunate to have two jobs over here but buy too many shoes
30t6p3b.gif

I went to Urban Outfitters to apply for a job (they were having a job fair thing) today. They were holding group interviews outside all day and while I was filling out my application. When I turned in my application, I was told they'd call me for an interview later this week. Feels bad man.

In tumultuous times like these, there are two options. #1 - Look for a job, cross your fingers, and hope someone picks you up. #2 - Create your own job. Start a business. The right business can outlast an economic downturn like you wouldn't believe. If you have a skill, there is no excuse. If you are good at photoshop, find freelance work. If you have any kind of talent, figure out a way to translate that into a way to make money using what you know. I started my company 3 years ago, right in the middle of the economic downturn. I'm doing better than ever. Check the link in the sig. #realtalk

Originally Posted by seniosoul

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

Keep hope alive. I just got a job at Bank of America. Look for job fairs and try staffing companies like Ranstad.
which one
nerd.gif

I temp through Randstad and they are pretty good. Kelly Services is another good one

9% unemployment with more faltering companies. :thumbsup:

I've been looking for 2.5 years. Got my B.B.A. @ the end of 09 and still kicking mule $%$*.

Got the job at Sears, but %#*%%% up big time....I smoked a blunt on Saturday of some weak +$@ reggie and now I gotta pass a drug test by Friday

Originally Posted by malcmoney

im almost 20 , been applying since 15 , only had 1 job at census bureau

been applying to jobs since I was 15, didn't land my first one until I turned 20....
then they just kept coming.

at first I was frustrated as hell.

My wife mentioned in passing the other day that her company has several entry level positions that they are currently looking to fill

She works in Media/Advertising at a prominent ad agency out in Los Angeles.

If you are qualified, I can ask her to turn your resume in for you (better than being a stranger walking through the door right?). It is fairly competitive so you will probably need to have a 4 year degree from an upper tier (or atleast above average) college or university, and it would be preferable if you had a degree in marketing/advertising or some similar related field. Just to give you guys an idea, the last few assistants that she hired for her team went to schools like USC, Cornell, Stanford, UPenn. If you think you fit the mold and its something you are interested in, feel free to send me a PM or drop a msg in this thread.

Also. Nothing set in stone yet, but we may be opening up an entry level position at my company. I work for a specialty finance company in Los Angeles. Finance background is not neccesarily required. Once the position is open for sure, I can provide more details. 4 year degree required. Cons: you will be working under me, and I'm kind of a a-hole (kidding... not really)

Originally Posted by sonunox34

My best advice for finding a quick/temporary job is a large chain grocery store. They usually have such incompetent employees that anyone walking in with a resume and nice shirt on usually gets an interview.

you'll have a slim chance even having them call you back down here, even in some grocery stores down here it's "who you know".

I applied to giants and shoppers until my face was blue and still got nothing.....and this has been going on for years.

I'm good now though, it makes you really humble to have a job when ppl come in asking if you're hiring.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ErickM713

Got the job at Sears, but %#*%%% up big time....I smoked a blunt on Saturday of some weak +$@ reggie and now I gotta pass a drug test by Friday

What were you thinking? You must not really be serious about getting a job if your out smoking 
indifferent.gif
, i'm pretty sure that 90% of jobs require that you pass a drug test.

Originally Posted by GreyFoxx

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Basically the entire world

pretty much.  Stay away from those placement agencies they will mess up your career real quick. 
qft 
tired.gif
 i just need a weekend job since i only go to school mon-thurs but still no luck, i though places need workers on the weekend
I have heard this before. How exactly do they mess up your career? I want to know so I don't get screwed over.

Originally Posted by Hop

Originally Posted by ErickM713

What were you thinking? You must not really be serious about getting a job if your out smoking 
indifferent.gif
, i'm pretty sure that 90% of jobs require that you pass a drug test.
he can walk down to his local headshop and pick up a bottle of Testpur Platinum, follow the instructions, and pass the test with flying colors though...

There are jobs out there, it's just a matter of whether you want to do them or not. I know many of you are college graduates and would not see yourselves working in construction/janitorial/restaurants/hard labor type of jobs BUT these places are always hiring! Now, please keep in mind that these types of jobs are not for everyone and competition is hard out there since you will be competing with immigrants. I was amazed at how easy it is for these people to work constructions and to attain to the conditions of hard labor.

When I first started to work construction during summers all through out college, I couldn't hang with those dudes. These guys were new hires yet appeared to be narutals! Carrying 80lbs bags up the ladder, no breaks, long hours, getting yelled at, and working under the sun for 8 hours did not bother them at all. I asked them how is it that these conditions did not bother them and they simply responded that many of them have been working in such conditions since they were kids. Many are from the rural areas of Mexico and Central America and have been doing physical/manual labor since forever. It's definitely not everyone but you can reach $40-50 per hour if you stick with it and learn the trait. Janitorial also pays well and it's a lot easier than construction.

Smh I can;t find a job either.
I tried applying to retail stores but all of them want previous experience and how the ##$% am i going to get that without working at one first
30t6p3b.gif

Last week I emailed my resume to some part time tutor at one of those Asian Saturday schools.
A lady called me and we even had an interview time set up and everything and near the end she goes, "Oh, I don't think 10AM tomorrow is good because we're going to be busy around that time." (Note that she was that one who said 10AM at first and i agreed.) She then asks if she can call me back later to arrange a time and I still haven't heard back.
30t6p3b.gif

I also went to an open house sort of thing for a retail store today and there were college grads there all wanting a sales associate position. I just graduated HS so I probably got no chance over them.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

My wife mentioned in passing the other day that her company has several entry level positions that they are currently looking to fill

She works in Media/Advertising at a prominent ad agency out in Los Angeles.

If you are qualified, I can ask her to turn your resume in for you (better than being a stranger walking through the door right?). It is fairly competitive so you will probably need to have a 4 year degree from an upper tier (or atleast above average) college or university, and it would be preferable if you had a degree in marketing/advertising or some similar related field. Just to give you guys an idea, the last few assistants that she hired for her team went to schools like USC, Cornell, Stanford, UPenn. If you think you fit the mold and its something you are interested in, feel free to send me a PM or drop a msg in this thread.

Also. Nothing set in stone yet, but we may be opening up an entry level position at my company. I work for a specialty finance company in Los Angeles. Finance background is not neccesarily required. Once the position is open for sure, I can provide more details. 4 year degree required. Cons: you will be working under me, and I'm kind of a a-hole (kidding... not really)

Sent PM, thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom