Spanking Children? Right or Wrong?

bk201

Banned
My parents are immigrants so I got beat when I was a little kid. But when my mom went to school to get her masters in order to become a social worker she saw the errors of her ways and stopped the spanking almost immediately. My dad on the other hand...
Dad=child beater Relationship with father=
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Mom=threat maker(never went through with em though)
 Relationship with mother=
embarassed.gif
pimp.gif
smokin.gif
smile.gif

I think spanking is wrong because as a kid I would ask questions about what I did wrong and most times my dad would just take the easy route...
30t6p3b.gif

My mom would explain why it was wrong so I could realize what I was doing.

Why in your opinion is spanking okay or not okay?
I know a lot of NTers are gonna say "Well I got beat and I turned out fine" but...
Spoiler [+]
WE-need-to-go-deeper.jpg
Things like psychological trauma and such. Even though me and my dad are pretty cool with each other those beatings did affect the way I saw him as a person.
tired.gif

Did a speech about this on Tuesday and I changed some people's opinions on hitting.
Feelsgoodman.jpg

My parents are immigrants so I got beat when I was a little kid. But when my mom went to school to get her masters in order to become a social worker she saw the errors of her ways and stopped the spanking almost immediately. My dad on the other hand...
Dad=child beater Relationship with father=
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Mom=threat maker(never went through with em though)
 Relationship with mother=
embarassed.gif
pimp.gif
smokin.gif
smile.gif

I think spanking is wrong because as a kid I would ask questions about what I did wrong and most times my dad would just take the easy route...
30t6p3b.gif

My mom would explain why it was wrong so I could realize what I was doing.

Why in your opinion is spanking okay or not okay?
I know a lot of NTers are gonna say "Well I got beat and I turned out fine" but...
Spoiler [+]
WE-need-to-go-deeper.jpg
Things like psychological trauma and such. Even though me and my dad are pretty cool with each other those beatings did affect the way I saw him as a person.
tired.gif

Did a speech about this on Tuesday and I changed some people's opinions on hitting.
Feelsgoodman.jpg

some children dont learn certain things until they get spanked
i am one
interesting 1st post

some children dont learn certain things until they get spanked
i am one
interesting 1st post

My oldest is under two and I use spanking as kind of a "hard reset".  It inflicts little or no pain - she's wearing a diaper and she takes much harder spills in the course of normal play - but it reestablishes the power relationship.  More than anything it gives her pause when she's grossly misbehaving and we use that moment to segue into discussing exactly what she did, why it was wrong, the consequences to herself or others of what she was trying to do, and we end with a sincere reaffirmation of love and caring.  Like I said, she's not even two yet so I'm not pretending she sits an contemplates what we talk about but I'm trying to establish a pattern so things can sink in as she grows and has a better idea of her surroundings and her relationships with other people. 

And FYI, it's never been more than one gentle swat on her well-padded butt.  I'm not pulling out extension cords like I may have (ahem) "seen" happen when I was a child. 

My oldest is under two and I use spanking as kind of a "hard reset".  It inflicts little or no pain - she's wearing a diaper and she takes much harder spills in the course of normal play - but it reestablishes the power relationship.  More than anything it gives her pause when she's grossly misbehaving and we use that moment to segue into discussing exactly what she did, why it was wrong, the consequences to herself or others of what she was trying to do, and we end with a sincere reaffirmation of love and caring.  Like I said, she's not even two yet so I'm not pretending she sits an contemplates what we talk about but I'm trying to establish a pattern so things can sink in as she grows and has a better idea of her surroundings and her relationships with other people. 

And FYI, it's never been more than one gentle swat on her well-padded butt.  I'm not pulling out extension cords like I may have (ahem) "seen" happen when I was a child. 

Originally Posted by ColdCity

spare the rod spoil the child

thread/
basically. I spank/beat my daughter then explain to her what she did wrong and show her what she is/isn't supposed to do

Back
Top Bottom