Spike Lee's CHIRAQ trailer

Dudes in here are literally trying to write a Book Report on a book they never held in their hands let alone read.

I`m convinced y'all are trolling at this point.

Again, I never mentioned Depps acting. I'm fully aware of his range.

I'm saying a guy who is exceptional at improv and has an acting background cant play a gangmember? We didn't say he's playing Malcolm X lol

I'll reserve comment on his actual performance since I haven't seen it.

But folks want an authentic experience. Cannon's body of work suggests that he's best suited for teen comadies.

I mean his improv isn't God LVL like Heath Ledger just doing **** as the Joker and Nolan is just like, y'know what? Thats ******* brilliant, we're going to keep that.

Or Depp basically doing whatever he wanted as Jack Sparrow and it sticking.

Cannon just doesn't have the feel of an authentic Chicago gangbanger. There's no shortage of talented actors out there Cannon just feels.....off.

His involvement coupled with the confounding trailer is why people are apprehensive.

That said, if I have time this weekend I'll catch it.

I see reading isn't y'all strong point. "The implications of the success and failure of this movie in relation to what's going on in Chicago." This movie is failing and it lacks support from those it portrays. I'm here to discuss that. Don't like it, too bad.
How can you say something succeed or failed if you never saw it?

Do you not realize how idiotic that sounds?

What are you going to discuss?

What examples are you going to utilize?

How can you utilize examples to prove your point when you don't know what happens in the movie to extract those scenes to use as examples to get your point across?

niketalk.com yall.
How can I say something succeeded or failed if I never saw it? Chiraq did one million opening weekend and didn't even scrape the top 10. Success isn't an abstract concept. If you put out a movie with a message and the message doesn't reach the masses because no one wants to see the movie your movie is a FAILURE.

Which is what I'm here discussing. You can tap dance around that all you want. You want to go into a substantive analysis of the movie that's fine. I want to discuss how Spike dropped the ball before the movie even reached completion. Presentation and casting matter.

People acting like there aren't goofy/corny gang members out there claiming Chicago gangs. I don't see no problem with Nick Cannon being in a role like this. I'm pretty sure he's come across his fair share of VLs & GDs.

As for the people that "hate" the movie, can yall paint a picture of what your Chiraq movie would be about? I'm curious to see how others would have approached this project.  Right now it seems as if people are just talking negative about this project because others are.

How can I say something succeeded or failed if I never saw it? Chiraq did one million opening weekend and didn't even scrape the top 10. Success isn't an abstract concept. If you put out a movie with a message and the message doesn't reach the masses because no one wants to see the movie your movie is a FAILURE.

Which is what I'm here discussing. You can tap dance around that all you want. You want to go into a substantive analysis of the movie that's fine. I want to discuss how Spike dropped the ball before the movie even reached completion. Presentation and casting matter.

how old are you? Spike has never had box office success outside of 1-2 films. This movie was not made for the purpose of being a top 3 box office film.

You know how many movies targeted to Black Audiences dont crack top 10 in the box office yet are appreciated by their audienceS?

What in the flying hell are you trying to argue or even discuss?

People acting like there aren't goofy/corny gang members out there claiming Chicago gangs. I don't see no problem with Nick Cannon being in a role like this. I'm pretty sure he's come across his fair share of VLs & GDs.

:lol:

Yeah I bet there's a TON of Vice Lords and Gangster Disciples in the mean streets of San Diego.

As for the people that "hate" the movie, can yall paint a picture of what your Chiraq movie would be about? I'm curious to see how others would have approached this project.  Right now it seems as if people are just talking negative about this project because others are.

People wanted to see a Boyz N da hood style movie.

Comedians play serious roles all the time. Marlon Wayans played a drug addict in Requiem

The movie was in 305 theaters. Compare that to over 3,000 for most blockbusters

And yet it was still his best opening in 15 years.

but hey, I'm just presenting known facts, and you seem to ignore them.

People wanted to see a Boyz N da hood style movie.
Hell that type of movie wouldn't do ish, but make these evil little kids act up more. The only alternative I see is doing a documentary style movie where you go around interviewing the residents in these Chicago neighborhoods. Interview the gang members, both old & young, interview the poor black families,  interview the families that have lost people to gang violence & interview the people that are trying to change Chicago. The problem with that is, most people won't go to the movies to watch a documentary.

Hell that type of movie wouldn't do ish, but make these evil little kids act up more. The only alternative I see is doing a documentary style movie where you go around interviewing the residents in these Chicago neighborhoods. Interview the gang members, both old & young, interview the poor black families,  interview the families that have lost people to gang violence & interview the people that are trying to change Chicago. The problem with that is, most people won't go to the movies to watch a documentary.

I already said a "hood" movie would just give folks another bad guy to root for.

:lol:

Yeah I bet there's a TON of Vice Lords and Gangster Disciples in the mean streets of San Diego.

He actually met with some real ones for the role along with community organizations and the guys that were in The Interupters documentary for the role.

Please trust Spike Lee on casting because he launched careers and Mekki Phifer still eating off his first movie which was Clockers

Wouldn't have minded a documentary actually. When the Levees Broke was excellent.

Funny thing is these Chicago Rappers could do one with the amount of money they spend on a Chain or even pop off a GO Fund ME to do one like Tariq nasheed does with Hidden Colors, but they dont.

how old are you? Spike has never had box office success outside of 1-2 films. This movie was not made for the purpose of being a top 3 box office film.

You know how many movies targeted to Black Audiences dont crack top 10 in the box office yet are appreciated by their audienceS?

What in the flying hell are you trying to argue or even discuss?
Old enough to remember when Spike put out impactful films but that's besides the point so you can shut up on the front. If you gonna sit here and act like a film being perceived as ill-conceived by many of its intended audience doesn't matter than I have little to discuss with you.

He actually met with some real ones for the role along with community organizations and the guys that were in The Interupters documentary for the role.

Please trust Spike Lee on casting because he launched careers and Mekki Phifer still eating off his first movie which was Clockers

Clockers was okay. Nothing special.

That aside, Spike has been hit or miss, doesn't really warrant or instill bullet-proof trust. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt however...

Old enough to remember when Spike put out impactful films but that's besides the point so you can shut up on the front. If you gonna sit here and act like a film being perceived as ill-conceived by many of its intended audience doesn't matter than I have little to discuss with you.

SO Pretty much you lack the ability to make judgement on a film yourself?

Harlem Nights was ill received yet there are many people who consider it a classic.

Not sure at this point if people are now just lazy or just that dumb.

Hold up Spike pulled the NYC >>> card when Chicagoans criticized this movie?! :smh: :lol: :stoneface: Son has really lost it.

If you know you can't say something that properly explains why you made the movie you better off being like those directors who are rarely seen and never heard.

Man, it's Nick Cannon, that's nowhere near believable, Kanye wouldn't be believable either. Some people, acting or not, u just can't see as a savage or vice versa.

Johnny Depp as an Irish mobster or the mad hatter?

Nick Cannon as a drummer or a rapper gang member?

Both out of there elements for the tougher roles but both have talent and can act
Did you seriously just compare Nick Cannon to Johnny Depp as actors? Seriously?

:smh:

:stoneface:

Depp was great in Black Mass. Cannon was great in what? Drumline? Drumline my *****?!

Spike Lee appeared on ABC’s Windy City Live this morning in Chicago to discuss his forthcoming film Chi-Raq. The interview was at times combative, with Lee making some statements that won’t win him any friends in the Chi.

When asked about those who had an issue with a New Yorker making a movie about Chicago, Spike went in.

“You know what that sounds like? That sounds like those redneck [censored] in the South, when Civil Rights people come down to Mississippi or Alabama…’These rabble rousers come down here, we know how treat our Negros good. We don’t need nobody from up there telling us how to work our Negros.’ Same type of mentality.”

He added, “And also, why hasn’t a Chicago filmmaker done a film, then?”

Lee mentioned being a tenured professor at NYU’s Film School and having students who made movies on their iPhone. So he basically told anyone with a problem to tell their own story. As for the film’s trailer, which got people (who usually don’t what a “satire” is) in a huff:

“I gotta say this, you might get mad. But a lot of people in Chicago [have] an inferiority complex about New York. One hundred.”

We definitely think Spike—who also said, “”When you deal with truth, it doesn’t matter where the person comes from”—would have a problem if Tyler Perry made a film about Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, though.

http://hiphopwired.com/2015/11/12/spike-lee-says-chicago-has-an-inferiority-complex/
This is even worse bruh.

He compared angry Chicago critics to Southern rednecks mad about Civil Rights protestors? The **** is he on?

I mean at the very least, the movie aside, he could've at least expressed he had good intentions on making the movie and that where he's from shouldn't be an issue since he is black and knows well about the struggle.

Then he goes on to pull that NYC card **** and it's honestly irrelevant at that point. Also makes his statement about truth and it not mattering where your from null and void.

I can't cosign dudes foolery on this :smh:

Hold up Spike pulled the NYC >>> card when Chicagoans criticized this movie?! :smh: :lol: :stoneface: Son has really lost it.

If you know you can't say something that properly explains why you made the movie you better off being like those directors who are rarely seen and never heard.

Depp was great in Black Mass. Cannon was great in what? Drumline? Drumline my *****?!

Considering all the careers Spike birthed, he suddenly doesn't know what good acting is or how to cast a movie?

and considering Angela Bassett, Sam Jackson, Jennifer Hudson and Wesley are in the movie?

See Nick in Bobby.
Nick Cannon is terrible.

You're not gonna convince me otherwise.

I feel Spike made a mistake in casting him. That's how bad I think Nick Cannon is. He's on that list of actors when they're in something I already assume the quality dropped by half depending on how involved that person is with the movie.

Same way I feel about Tyler Perry. Almost didn't watch Gone Girl cuz of him.

Last edited:
So what you're telling me is I should spend money on a movie I don't want to see so that I can have a discussion on why the movie wasn't a good idea?

When folks say "I'm not going to see Exodus Gods and Kings because the Egyptians weren't white" you tell them to go watch the film and judge for themselves? Don't be dense.

Funny thing is these Chicago Rappers could do one with the amount of money they spend on a Chain or even pop off a GO Fund ME to do one like Tariq nasheed does with Hidden Colors, but they dont.

Needs to happen.

GO Fund ME is a brilliant idea. If I had any film-making chops it's a project that I'd def do.

Has Vice done any pieces on Chicago?

So what you're telling me is I should spend money on a movie I don't want to see so that I can have a discussion on why the movie wasn't a good idea?

When folks say "I'm not going to see Exodus Gods and Kings because the Egyptians weren't white" you tell them to go watch the film and judge for themselves? Don't be dense.

So your telling me an Intelligent person dedicates their time discussing a movie being bad yet has never seen the movie?

The simple fact you use such an idiotic comparison says everything we need to know.

There were no Whites in Egypt during the times supposedly depicted in Gods and Kings and the Exodus flick, which is what people are discussing.

There are black people in Chicago and Black people in the Chi Raq film, so how is this a valid comparison? There are even Chicago Natives in the Chi Raq film, so how is this a valid comparison?

niketalk.com yall.

You even try bringing up Box Office numbers as if they means anything wen it comes to a limited release film.

The Nick Cannon hate is real. :lol:
**** Nick Cannon

View media item 1819667

Did you not read what I quoted/responded to?

Someone said Nick is not believable as a gang member , not because he can't act but because he's Nick Cannon, but Depp is believable as a Irish Mafia guy?
Yes.

I completely agree with that.

**** Nick Cannon.

Last edited:
Needs to happen.

GO Fund ME is a brilliant idea. If I had any film-making chops it's a project that I'd def do.

Has Vice done any pieces on Chicago?

Quite frankly I wouldn't want to see a Vice Doc on Chicago, Vice tends to do the "Savage" angle when it comes to documenting people of color. I`d be more interested in someone from Chicago doing it, or just a film that goes into the history of Chicago and Black relations for the last 50-100 years as these are then events that created the product we see today. All of this can be done for less than 50k.

Vice has an 8 part series on Chicago.

Oh yeah, they def do....They went into the schools and all. I all but forgot :lol:.

....Yeah, that's not good. Someone needs to make a documentary that sticks in folks minds. Not following some lame chick who disrespected her mommy and was flunking out.

**** was not memorable at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom