(Spoilers) ASOIAF Books Discussion (All Books Read Edition) (Spoilers)

here was my friend's insight

So instead of writing my essay about masculinity in American cinema I have decided to read parts of A Song of Ice and Fire again. And the more I read and think, the more I am inclined to believe that what I am saying right from the start is actually the truth. I keep talking about the bloodlines but I keep forgetting about the blood magic. So once I added the blood magic into the equation it all fell into its place. The funniest thing is that we have the layout for the Lands of Always Winter narrative but we take it as granted. Targaryens were once sheepherders who stumbled upon a dragon lair. Over time these dragons became their…not because they learned how to train them (anyone could do that) but because they have bound them to their blood, hence the words "Fire and Blood"…Therefore, dragons respond only to the blood of Valyria, i.e., Targaryen blood. And that's it. Bran sees the blood sacrifice in the weirwood by the means of green seeing, ability inherent to the Children of the Forest and not the First Men…which means that the First Men somehow acquired these abilities in the distant past, way before Targaryens stumbled upon the dragons. After the Long Night Starks were called The Kings of Winter. The Wall was built seemingly out of nowhere. And Winterfell was built. And WW were not killed. Instead, it is the blood magic that is the key here. I proposed that Bran the Builder was a demigod a product of First Men and White Walkers but I was wrong. He bound his blood (which will produce the Stark lineage) to the White Walkers. Same way Targaryens bound their blood to the dragons. It is the exact same thing just slightly different in the sense that one is Light (not good, just bright as summer) and one is Dark (not evil just grim as winter), i.e. ice and fire. Jon Snow is the product of both and his is The Song of Ice and Fire. Just like Daenerys had to step into the fire to hatch the dragons in a blood sacrifice, Jon will have to "die" in an ice sacrifice in order to bring the WW to him and unleash his abilities. As the only human being able to control both WW and dragons Jon will be the all powerful person in the world that will bring balance and order to it. Will he fight Daenerys or not depends solely on Daenerys and her ego. But if they do, she will perish, of that I am sure. So, to sum it up, Starks are bound to White Walkers by blood magic, they control the winter and ice and are considerably more immune to it, just like Targaryens are to fire. Neither is good or bad…This aspect depends solely on the person currently in charge. And Jon has the advantage over Daenerys here, due to many facts we have read or seen. This is what the show is currently trying to establish - dichotomy between these two characters.

book reading people in he tv thread are mad because I said Robb Stark was Westeros's Biggie Smalls/Len Bias and might have been the greatest military commander the continent ever saw but his time was cut short.

jimmies were rustled.

I don't understand how Robb was this great military leader or was going to achieve greatness when in the book he's like 15 and 1. Got beat down on the battlefield 2. Slept with and married his nurse 3. Broke his oath to his allies.

We never even saw TV Robb fight and TV Robb refused to listen to any of his advisors.

Book Robb did all that but never lost a battle. His battlefield maneuvers were prodigy level (granted he had battle hardened advisers assistant coaching with him). All the characters people list as top 10 military commanders in the GoT books were getting out maneuvered, they just either had dragons or tons of money to pay assassins so none of that mattered.

Book Robb did all that but never lost a battle. His battlefield maneuvers were prodigy level (granted he had battle hardened advisers assistant coaching with him). All the characters people list as top 10 military commanders in the GoT books were getting out maneuvered, they just either had dragons or tons of money to pay assassins so none of that mattered.

I agree with you...........but................

Northman are the better warriors. for Westeros

If I had to Rank Warriors at this point
Dothraki,
Northmen
All the mercs. :Second sons, etc.

I agree with you...........but................

Northman are the better warriors. for Westeros

If I had to Rank Warriors at this point
Dothraki,
Northmen
All the mercs. :Second sons, etc.

Maybe the people of Dorne as well. Remember, Dorne was the sole area that didn't give in to the Taergeryians. Partially due to the environment they live in which helped, but they have to be great warriors to resist dragons none-the-less.

^
We know they're good with spears. Maybe the dragons liked the desert climate and were more relaxed when they got there or just wanted to hang at the water gardens.

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. The only of the 7 to never have been conquered, that's gotta count for something. The one Stark gave up to spare his people but they had always been great warriors. That harsh environment may have made them great warriors, word to Dune ( :nerd: )

to be fair the queen that went there (I think Rhaeyna ) wasn't the fighting one, she was the lovely one... but the queen of dorne at the time was like a 100 year old blind lady that was like 300lbs.. and she was the most gangsta of all Dornish people, cursing her out and basically was like, yo we don't bend... bring it heffa

Gtydfgyrgghujjjijjojjuhggtfddewsdwsdrfftgvyhuuuhhijnijhyffdezswsxrfvyhhujj

RIP Sir Barristen

Really makes you wonder how this whole meereen thing is supposed to be resolved

*only typing so nosy show watchers dont complain*

That entire episode was kinda trash to me. I just couldnt consciously seperate the book stuff (which is slowly fading info) from the show stuff. The show just wasnt making sense to me. The cut of all the supporting characters we are suppose to have is killing me.

Only good thing is stannis may have some new supporters now with his feels story.

*only typing so nosy show watchers dont complain*

Well that was a massacre. Are we sure that Selmy is going to die? Seemed to me that Greyworm saving him from getting a red smile is signaling that he may survive this. All I know is this NEVER would've happened if Strong Belwas was around. Still mad he didn't get into the show.

Dun Dun Dun dun dun dun Dun dun Dun duuuuuuuuuuun dunnnn dun dun dun

How they gonna disrespect the Unsullied and try to kill Barriston in the same episode :smh: I like book Dorne better than show Dorne so far.

Gtydfgyrgghujjjijjojjuhggtfddewsdwsdrfftgvyhuuuhhijnijhyffdezswsxrfvyhhujj

Pretty cool that they talked about Lyanna Stark and what happened at the tournament

Where in the book did we get that.

And interesting a lot of people believe roberts side of the story.

I wonder what ned believed.

ljka;fffasdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsd

I'm wonder if they're gonna bring up the marriage to Hizdahdarhdar next episode. Quentyn Martell was cut, which I'm not particularly worried about (moreso than Arianne) so who knows what's going on there.

Dun Dun Dun dun dun dun Dun dun Dun duuuuuuuuuuun dunnnn dun dun dun

How they gonna disrespect the Unsullied and try to kill Barriston in the same episode
mean.gif
I like book Dorne better than show Dorne so far.
YUP I was waiting for some Sand Snake "action"....

*randomly types letters to avoid spoilers for non-book readers*

Okay fellas, we get it, the show and books are different. Let's move on, please.

I think I have officially became a book snob after this episode.
this ep definitely rustled my jimmies.

Im still sitting here not knowing how to feel, from the jaime story, and coming agross tarth.
to the sand snakes. to my man Selmy and grey worm.

love how the show thread is freaking out about the unsullied scene, I mean it was 40 against 5, this isn't the avengers they're in a closed room with lances. their chances weren't great.

Why in the blue hell did Ser Barristan Selmy had to die?! It's freaking Barristan the Bold!

And yes he's really dead. The preview for the next episode has him laying on that funeral table and there's also on interview from ew.com on the actor talking about filming his final scenes.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

^^

GRRM warned us about his I guess. He did say that the show is going to kill off people that are still alive in the books. 

is there a way i can start to read the books online?

i dont care if i have to buy them

i just have a lot of down time at work and it would be ideal for me if i could read them on the computer so it looks like im working 
laugh.gif

not sure if this is possible though.

In that case, what's the point of watching the show, honestly.

Just read the books.

Same reason anyone keeps watching something they invested 5 seasons in to. and a fan of the genre and some characters.

as I said, last episode i was like meh. this episode just..... still no adjective.

Honestly just look at the show thread alone and half of the (only) show watchers really having no clue as to what's going on or having false information. Right now the show is a mess. it's trying to recreate the book by being all over the place but it doesn't have the details the book has so it's failing at it.

Don't get me wrong there are good aspects to the story. Glad my man Stannis is getting shine. Sansas story though still whack is more engaging now that we know she's plotting. Jon snow is still jon snow and arya is still arya.. but the rest.....meh

whack what they did to loras, whack they killed nights watch members that arent suppose to be dead, whack my man Selmy is gone....

supposedly 5-10 is suppose to pick up so we'll see

Where in the book did we get that.

And interesting a lot of people believe roberts side of the story.

I wonder what ned believed.

IIRC Barristan talks about it in his chapter when he laments about not being able to best Rhaegar in the tournament. It's also mentioned in The World of Ice and Fire from multiple perspectives as well as the show's Histories and Lore segments.

*randomly types letters to avoid spoilers for non-book readers*

Okay fellas, we get it, the show and books are different. Let's move on, please.

I think I have officially became a book snob after this episode.
this ep definitely rustled my jimmies.

In that case, what's the point of watching the show, honestly.

Just read the books.

This is the book readers thread though.... We SHOULD be discussing the differences and where things are headed in both mediums.

Back
Top Bottom