(Spoilers) ASOIAF Books Discussion (All Books Read Edition) (Spoilers)

From Asoiaf.westoros.org

from Quora website

-Keynotes- (sprinkled with some of the things i think as well)
-Aerys already killed the Stark Father and Brandon Stark, so he raped Lyanna as well
-Rhaegar wants to protect Lyanna more so than love her and wants to dethrone is father.
-The only way to do that was to try and meet with the rebellion and broker a truth things turn out bad because Robert has just too much rage on that battlefield to listen.
-Ned left Dayne alive in order to protect the kid and followed howland reed to protect the baby. (separate Dayne theory i've seen)
-Promise me ned was more about not killing the baby even though it was Aerys. as angry as robert was it is doubtful he would've killed the baby since it was still a stark if it was rhaegars, but more likely to kill it if it was Aerys.
-Aerys was mad about the whole tourney thing and knew $^it was going to hit the fan with what rhaegar did so he pretty much expanded it.

(if you're going for the Dragon has 3 heads theory and you say Jon, Dany, Tyrion)
-The theory of Tyrion being Aerys child. Puts him as one of the Dragons.
- Dany is Aery's true born. She's a head of the dragon
-why would Rhaegar's son be a Dragon to when he already had 2 kids to which both aren't/weren't?
wouldn't it make more sense if the 3 heads came from the same person if we already think 2 out of the 3 is from Aerys.
what sense would it make that Rhaegar all of a sudden is also?
I believe there was a conspiracy between the lords of various kingdoms and the orchestrator was Jon Arryn. i dont think A+L=J tho. Rhaegar genuinely fell in love with Lyanna and once he had that PTWP vision he knew he had to have more children, and Elia Martell could no longer have children. So they run off together and thus get the ball rolling to all out war which begins when the king kills Lord Stark and Brandon Stark.

Last edited:
Youre still not telling me where and when it was said they were in Love and from whose mouth. I completely understand that people are assuming this is the case because of the tourney where he crowns her love and beauty. but whose mouth said this?

theres only 2 pov characters who really have pre war info and that's Selmy and Jamie.

we don't get anything from ned and the other POV characters don't really touch on it.

This all along has always been my biggest fight with pure R+L=J theory... they put a lot of their theory/opinion in as fact and that's not true. and the main rebuttal is..."well the clues point to....."
which still makes it "Theory" not fact.

Last edited:
^^ Agreed, it's one theory versus another

While the A+L theory is fairly interesting, it doesn't move me from believing R+L, wholeheartedly

For those in this group. Who truly read the books (once or more than once) and who just skimmed it or looked online about key notes

I finished the books in 2013

Never read the Dunk And Egg stuff

Even tho I don't agree with tdogg2k tdogg2k theories I don't think they are that crazy

I think R+L=J is true but if it weren't to happen I wouldn't be that shocked

Martin is a troll and I could see him throwing a curve ball there

Why can't A+L= J be true either? This is GOT there are no rules and anything can happen

I think Stannis is dead but it is kind of strange they didn't show him die

If he returns I wouldn't be shocked either

Low key kind of hoping one of Tdogg's theories is true :lol:

:rofl:. :rofl:
The real question is if I'm going to be graceful about it or not. Hahahhaha

Im not asking anyone to stop believing their own theories. Just consider outside the box theories, that decently make sense the more u think about it

So if R+L is revealed on the show, are ya'll going to dismiss it until GRRM finishes Winds in 2020 ?

Because with the next ep showing ToJ footage. We might finally get some answers.

Honestly the show is the show and the book is the book to me at this point. It took me until season 4 to separate completely

So if R+L is revealed on the show, are ya'll going to dismiss it until GRRM finishes Winds in 2020 ?

Because with the next ep showing ToJ footage. We might finally get some answers.
I won't since it's most likely going to be written into the books. What kinda bothers me is the fact that I know some characters story arcs are different in the show then the book, but the over all story will come to the same conclusion. Knowing that, I find myself being less and less excited for WoW. Especially now that the show is confirming fan theories. 

Yeah it's still Book > Show for me at the end of the day .

I still think that was kinda smoke and mirrors to sort of draw in more book fans. I think a lot of book fans left after season 3. Also yall act like winds hasnt been worked on way before this season. Hes not going to just write this stuff in out of the blue.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0K4cK9CTAlQGoJry/giphy.gif

They don't need to draw in book fans. At this point show viewers dwarf those who read the books

I still think that was kinda smoke and mirrors to sort of draw in more book fans. I think a lot of book fans left after season 3. Also yall act like winds hasnt been worked on way before this season. Hes not going to just write this stuff in out of the blue.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0K4cK9CTAlQGoJry/giphy.gif

There is not one book fan that has stopped watching the show.

If they say they did they are lying

But this was initially i think they said that 2nd or 3rd season

Last edited:
On the rape and argument discussion:

1. There's difference from monstrosity that you see in season 1 and shocked by and monstrosity that's repetitive and never ending and pointless and that brings you to a place where you're like "alright, enough!"

2. The show runners are manipulative. They've given several examples of that. They gave Sansa that storyline specifically to horrify and sicken people. They said as much in the making of: "why create a new character no one relates to when we have a strong female character who can experience these events and changes and expand her story." They could have had identical stories with any character but they knew it wouldn't have the same effect. I don't understand why you're feigning surprise when people have the reaction they're supposed to.

3. The show has repeatedly built up strong empathetic female characters and then torn then down. Yes some of it is GRRM's writing and some of it is the work of Benioff and Weiss. When they make changes to dehumanize female characters they will get criticism. It's to be expected. Also I don't k ow what makes you think just because something is canon it can't be criticized. What gave you the impression that GRRM is exempt from critique about his weird fondness of Using sexual violence (and food.)

And the argument "but it's medieval times thats what happened!"

A. There are dragons and ice zombies. This isn't exactly realistic historical fiction. B. The threat of sexual violence to women is a very real fact of life today too. How would you feel about a contemporary tv show that portrayed (practically glorified with its buildup) a violent rape of a female character multiple times a season?

Yes sometimes he sexual attack may serve a narrative purpose. But the sheer number of times it's happened and been explained away as "it serves a purpose! It helps the story!" is tiring.

At some point even show and book stans need to accept that it's just lazy writing. There are other ways to progress the story.

There is not one book fan that has stopped watching the show.

If they say they did they are lying

If it wasn't for the internet I would have waited for the books to come out

Even if you stay off it's still hard to avoid GOT spoilers in general

I know quite a few people who stopped season 2 and 3. Havent looked back.

NAKO. Ill answer you later on that. Working right now. But i think you cant fight for equality. Everyone dying right now, then be like it's not fair what theyre doing to female characters. ....
Thats another topic for maybe a different board or differenr day...

I know quite a few people who stopped season 2 and 3. Havent looked back.

NAKO. Ill answer you later on that. Working right now. But i think you cant fight for equality. Everyone dying right now, then be like it's not fair what theyre doing to female characters. ....
Thats another topic for maybe a different board or differenr day...
I think the point that you're missing is that, it's not a violence against women vs. violence against men thing, it's the extreme violence in general that turns people off of it.

The favorite argument of anti-equality people in any conversation is "well if you want equality then you better be willing to accept [insert terrible thing here.]" But just because someone wants equal pay in the work place doesn't mean they want to see more women raped on TV.

The violence in the show is pretty awful in general, but aside from Theon's dismembering, the SEXUAL violence has been exclusively perpetuated on the female characters and it's been very very pervasive. And AGAIN, even in places where GRRM's source material showed there wasn't a need for sexual violence, Benioff and Weiss have injected it because, whether you want to accept it or not, they've shown when they don't know how to progress a story point they contrive a brutal murder or rape to shock everyone then jump ahead in time.

**** is lazy.

I like the show, and I'm not one of the people complaining loudly over it, but I see it and I understand and empathize with the people who take great offense to it.

Last edited:
Well said Nako and i agree and the scenes that come to mind on the show is
Dany drogo
And cersi 1 hand jamie

But in the book i cant really recall a place where it was over the top or extreme. Ramsays part was nore weord than anything but thay was more of a theon growth thing.

Sad truth tho not every sexual encounter is going to be love and rainbows. Im not trying to defend the negative or bad depicted sex scenes (book or show) and def not trying to use the times of the show thats how they did it.mm but that is the world they're in. Its violent its grotesque

Oberyn getting his face pounded and eyes popped out wasnt a lot..
Or brienne getting her face practically eaten and broken..
Thats what this world he created consist of. Extreme grotesque things.
Its meant to be uncomfortable. And im sure there are worst out there but this is the one thats popular.

So i do understand where people are mad. But me myself am not
I can onlh speak for myself on it.

Did you read/watch outlander?

Did you see that rape scene....now that was uncomfortable

Something tells me we wont get to see the whole Tower of Joy scene tonight. They are going to tease us up to the point where Ned goes in to talk to Lyanna

Back
Top Bottom