Stanford swimmer sentenced to 6 months for rape.

Where was her sister? She goofed.

This was your takeaway from all this, huh? Shameful. :smh: :smh:

No, that wasn't my takeaway. I fear you are misunderstanding me.

When you go to parties you keep an eye out for your people. There's so much that can go wrong from drunken driving, assault, alcohol poisoning to rape. If your own sister got blackout drunk and ended up behind a dumpster that night, her folks really let her down. I can't think of how she ended up going from point A to point B without her sister knowing her whereabouts. You let your sister tag along with you to a college party where she knows no one and let her fend for herself? Did she think her older sister would make happy little friends around the drum circle? WTF. That **** got me tight. College parties are breeding grounds for sexual assaults. The statistics are staggering. How girls are showing up at a party together and not keeping an eye for one another is mind boggling to me. And this was her own bloodline!!!

yeah but dude didn't have to rape her :rolleyes

I've been black out plenty of times no one came for my cookies, but girl got to worry about hers? I had a party once in college and girl got wasted beyond normal, and we caught some dude trying to get sneaky and drag her away. My boy stopped him and we put her with her people and got dude up out there. Look should people watch they liquor, sure but damn no one should be sexual assaulted, that's on the attacker not the victim straight up

100% serious question, if a person is able to stand up straight & speak clearly after they've been drinking, what determines if this verbal consent is valid or not? Not referencing this case specifically, there's a large grey area with these situations. I'm sure there are stories where the girl actually did consent, regretted it and claimed rape because she was drinking.

Is there a blood alcohol limit for the ability to consent? I'm sure there are terms that are used such as "based on your reasonable judgement, did the person appear drunk?" which is totally subjective. What's to determine if someone 'looks drunk?'. My perception of drunk may differ from yours.

I'm a moderate drinker and I typically handle myself well, but there were a couple occasions where I legit did not remember what was going on. My friends were recording me laughing and joking with strangers, I was standing upright, speaking clearly and correctly, but I 100% DID NOT REMEMBER THAT MOMENT. I can not stress this point enough. It was surreal when I was watching it,like some twisted deja vu/dream. I collapsed several times after we left and my friends were kind enough to document it all. Worst night/day of my life.

Now if I've been that way myself and know the feeling, I'm quite sure that a lot of women were in a similar state, appeared to be moderately drunk, consented to sex and when they fully sober up, don't recall consenting.

Many people feel that women get the short end of the stick cases like this, and I whole-heartedly feel like the unspoken stance that the legal system takes is 'what happened was wrong, but you should not have drank that much and been in that situation.' and I lowkey think that's their way of discouraging other women from drinking to excess and putting themselves in a similar situation by sending a message of "we don't really know what happened. We kinda believe you because guys are horn balls, so we're going to slap him on the wrist."

Another question, it is possible for woman to rape a man, so if both parties are on the same level of intoxication, should both parties be charged with rape? This is where males get the short end of the stick, we're seen as the aggressor 99.9% of the time.

So in short, regardless of the situation the guy is usually put at fault, and regardless of the situation, the girl's claim is usually trivialized.

Last edited:
Why is it white privilege if both the attacker and victim are both white? Isn't it more about the above (drunkenness leads to a grey area, meaning maybe she consented but doesn't recall so the punishment is lenient)?

100% serious, I think I've found my passion in life, sexual assault prevention. Writing that last post challenged me and prompted much critical thinking. I even searched for sexual assault prevention jobs in my area and applied for one. My mom is a drug/alcohol counselor and I've sat on and watched her during her sessions. Lord knows that's her passion. The clients love her and she loves what she does. I always wanted a job where I could help people, but I could never determine at which capacity. Right now I work in the cell phone industry, which I'm good at, but it's not fulfilling to me. I legit hope that I can get this job and prevent situations like this from occurring.

A man rapes a woman, and yet you're blaming the sister? Victim blaming 
mean.gif

A man rapes a woman, and yet you're blaming the sister? Victim blaming :smh:

From hearing the letter read, the sister sounds devastated as well. Always crying when they talk on the phone. The guilt must be horrible.

I only heard the letter being read yesterday and heard more of the story on tv this morning. Thank goodness for good samaritans. Heard 2 guys on bikes were riding by and saw her passed out near a dumpster while that POS was doing stuff to her.

My ***** I was sentenced to that for speeding (170 days suspended). This country's justice system is all types of ****** up.

Too many variables in our justice system. Different laws in each county, town, city, and state. Plus you got dumbass judges like in this case who doesn't want to inconvenience the life of the guilty person too much for whatever reason. Then you also have juries. Common sense and logic should prevail along with justice but the system makes things too complicated.

100% serious, I think I've found my passion in life, sexual assault prevention. Writing that last post challenged me and prompted much critical thinking. I even searched for sexual assault prevention jobs in my area and applied for one. My mom is a drug/alcohol counselor and I've sat on and watched her during her sessions. Lord knows that's her passion. The clients love her and she loves what she does. I always wanted a job where I could help people, but I could never determine at which capacity. Right now I work in the cell phone industry, which I'm good at, but it's not fulfilling to me. I legit hope that I can get this job and prevent situations like this from occurring.

A drunk PERSON CANNOT provide consent. Goes for both genders. Even if they can stand and walk

The question is, at EXACTLY what point are you considered drunk? And are you visibily drunk to others?

Have you ever seen the denzel movie Flight? There's a part where he says 'I'm drunk right now' and he appears to be perfectly fine.

If a woman was drunk in the same fashion, how would a guy know?

Last edited:
Why is it white privilege if both the attacker and victim are both white? Isn't it more about the above (drunkenness leads to a grey area, meaning maybe she consented but doesn't recall so the punishment is lenient)?

If he was black or brown his sentence would've been way longer.

Black dudes in "he said she said cases" like Brian Banks got way longer sentences without evidence.

This dude was witnessed assaulting an unconscious woman and got 6 months!

I don't care how drunk they were, he knew she was unconscious. He's a predator plain and simple. He knew she wasn't going to make it all the way back to the dorms so he tried to get his by a damn dumpster. Anyone trying to justify anything that happened is wrong.

If he was a minority and a football player then maybe he'd get less punishment or there won't even be a case. We've seen how places like fsu and baylor protect their football team along with the police.

Person A: white privilege

Person b: nah, it's about money. Look at OJ.

The very fact that you have to go back twenty years...

As if OJ has been the only rich black man since.

If he was a minority and a football player then maybe he'd get less punishment or there won't even be a case. We've seen how places like fsu and baylor protect their football team along with the police.

That's a separate issue from white privilege and affluenza.

Certain schools/athletic departments have shown they maintain a rape culture and protect big time athletes.

In this same exact scenario and plug in a black Stanford football player, guaranteed he gets more than 6 months though.

Last edited:

Listen to the reason given for the extremely light sentence. Now imagine a judge giving a person of color such a light sentence after committing such a heinous crime. Dudes get more time for weed or driving without a license.

The Victim's letter was astounding. Kuddos to her and I hope she heals as well as one can.

That letter hit me in feels I didn't know I had as a man. The swimmer deserves way more than 6 months, especially after his lawyer and he handled themselves in court/trial.

My original image of the scene was: she was passed out outside, he wasn't very drunk, he walked outside, took her behind the dumpster and had his way with her. After reading HER letter, I have a more detailed view of the situation. They were dancing together (so she was standing up at some point of there interaction) she even mentioned that it may have been sexual grinding, she said that there was some kissing and she was told that she was touching his back. To me that sounds like there a some amount of flirting going on. Let's say she's a functional drunk (meaning she doesn't "appear" to be anything beyond tipsy) the guy was drunk himself, they're grinding on each other while making out, they agree to go to the back,she consents, they start smashing, her alcohol kicks in, she falls asleep, the cyclers show up.

Not saying this is the case, but there is no way to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it didn't happen.

No one was around when they began, so she could've very well consented and did not remember, then passed out during the act.

Anything aside from indisputable video evidence; witnesses seeing what happened from beginning to end; there being clear signs that she resisted (people hearing her scream 'no' /scratch or bite marks).

She could have very well been passed out when he began having sex with her, but she can't prove it, thus the light sentence. I AM NOT SAYING THAT I AGREE WITH THE SENTENCING.

I'm telling you, these light sentences is the courts'way of holding these women accountable for getting blacked out drunk.

I watched the CNN anchor read the letter on air. Its tuff man such a sad situation. Judge letting this guy off on the stance that it would impact his future is crazy! Dude was found guilty and still won better than if he had took a plea.

I had to ask myself at what point would I even consider a different point of view that aligned with leniency.

If the accused was a black guy with the same profile as Turner and he got off this easy would I still be as disgusted? Would I be more accepting of a narrative that the white girl was drunk and consented but then regretted it. Would i be more accepting of the narrative that the two grad students saw a black guy with a white girl and couldn't imagine that she would have consented to going behind a dumpster and having relations.

Imma be honest, if all these aspects were introduced I dont know if I could arrive at the same level of disgust that I have for this judge/criminal and empathy for the victim, if the result was the same.

Back
Top Bottom