Still extremely upset with Jordan Brand/Nike

LOL at people thinking Nike/JB cares that anyone is upset.....

The shoes were a General Release , they were not that limited, the demand is just insanely high

Sure Nike could produce them every year and sell 500k pairs a year easily...... but whats worth more to them is the hysteria that keeps the brand hot and cool and will make everyone want to go line up for the next release date or pay a premium price for their regular shoes or clothing.

The XI releases make plenty of money for JB but they are worth 100x that to JB in terms of the brand recognition and appeal it creates. The XI concord is just one of several hundred product releases including all models and all colorways and clothes they do per year. It single handedly legitimizes the brand and enables them to keep their prices high and the brand from never going out of style no matter how bad any of the other products are

Because of all this JB will keep the XI limited to one release per year......its worth its weight in gold

I hate how everyone blames Nike/JB
one how was this shoe limited by any means?

Every Niketown got almost 1000 pairs,

all other stores got 1-2 size runs at least.

They generated the same amount of shoes that they do with any other Jordan release. 

The raised the price. SO WHAT? no one is putting a gun to your head to buy them.

Quality is not perfect. SO WHAT? once again no one told you to buy them. Based off previous releases you would learn your lesson on what to expect. 

the only people to blame for that chaos is the people themselves.

I don't get how people can blame NIKE/JB/MJ for this. Nike is well known for their great advertising, yet this shoe had no paid advertising, only us to hype them up like they are the invention of fire.

If you missed out then you are to blame no one else. I suck at getting my hands on these hyped up releases yet I managed to get my hands on 2 pairs without leaving my chair and while doing a fantasy draft. 

Bottom line is if you don't like it then maybe it's time to move on.

OP i feel what you are saying about seeing MJ and wanting the shoes jus because you loved MJ, thats great. If people like you were the only ones buying the shoes then maybe we would not have this problem. But unfortunately it is the world we live in. 

MY guy you knew this release would be nutty

everytime these have dropped it got gully out there.

A woman sued McDonald's, another huge corporation, because their coffee was extremely hot and it scalded her.  And she won. 
Violence and riots at malls ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY because of a basketball shoe releasing is inexcusable.  Every national news outlet reported on it.  Sure the customers are to blame, but Jordan Brand/Nike is ultimately responsible for perpetuating the factors which lead to this madness, and for refusing to alleviate the problem for future releases.  This isn't the first time people have abandoned rationality and crossed the line because of Jordans, but last Friday was definitely the worst I've witnessed.  How far will the hype and frenzy go before people start KILLING each other over shoes?  Because mark my words, it WILL happen someday...whether it's the white/cement IVs or the columbia XIs next December or whatever.  Some guy fired a gun into the air at a mall in California last Friday, which means there had to be other crazy dudes bringing guns to the mall.  The fact that is was so difficult to get a single pair of the XI in certain malls/cities will only exacerbate the issue for other "hyped" releases from now on.  People who missed out won't want to miss out again, and they'll be more desperate than before.

This isn't a simple shoe issue, or a shoe game issue...this is a safety issue.  And most of you are missing the point.  I don't even care about getting this release, my collection is great enough as it is.  It's that I don't want to see kids, moms, and grandmas getting trampled over and hurt over stupid shoes.  Sure most of you can laugh and dismiss it all as "crying" or "whining", but when one of YOUR loved ones gets hurt or killed over something so trivial then we'll see who's crying.  

The fact is that Jordan Brand needs to work with retailers to prevent debacles such as this from ever happening again.  That means producing more pairs for extremely popular releases, offering pre-orders, and doing a couple restocks.  Forget the "game", the game is broken.  The problem won't be solved just by telling people to "save their money and quit complaining".  That's ridiculous.  It's time for Jordan Brand, retailers, and consumers to wake up.  

I agree mostly with OP's statement. What I don't agree with, is all that sentiment that he attached to MJ's persona. Yes, I agree he is one of the, if not THE greatest players to play. However, issues like this, I attach to him as a person. He is well aware of how popular these shoes are, but doesn't give a damn about the circus that surrounds it because he makes his bottom line. And before you cry salty because you think I did not get a pair, I was actually one of the fortunate ones that did get a pair. I also have the 2001 pair I kept VNDS because I knew this foolishness would happen. For as good as the marketing department is over at JB, I don't understand what the harm is in making these available for consumers for a 2-3 week period instead of a mad dash for a midnight release. My suggestion is to make them limited to be available for a two week period as much as the demand is there, then everyone can get their pair or multiples, leveling the playing field. JB would make their money and everyone can be satisfied. I guess this makes too much sense, and it shows that JB relies on those resellers to create hype. This I think is sad, but also smart on JB's part. Why don't people realize that they are maximizing their dollars by NOT spending on advertizing. Realize people, they already spent money on marketing them in the past, so they aren't going to spend more money marketing them again. They do this, but yet increase the price and use cheaper materials. When you frame it that way, who are the real dummies? (present company included). I do think it is becoming unethical on how they these retro releases are being handled, but the real solution is in the hands of who started the fire, the consumers. You don't like what's going on? STOP BUYING THE PRODUCT. They will respond when you hit them in the wallet, but the real issue is, who is mature enough to actually do it. I know I am.

im just shocked that a 180 dollar plus tax general release shoe would have such high demand...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NobleKane

im just shocked that a 180 dollar plus tax general release shoe would have such high demand...
laugh.gif

Hypebeasts and the Get Money Boys. 

Half of these people don't even like the Concords that much.  If you asked them what their favorite XI was, they'd say Space Jams or Breds.  So why are ya'll paying $250-300 when ya'll can get space jams or breds on ebay or whatever for that price.

Hypebeasts I tell ya.

Originally Posted by Hyalite

AKA LONGSTROKE, no doubt you are right that it was much easier to get Jordans back in the '80s and that Jordan lifted Nike to a whole new level.  I wasn't disagreeing with you on that point.

The reason it was easier, however, is not because Jordans didn't sell well back then.  That's the only part I was disagreeing with.  They did sell well, they just didn't sell as fast.  Like you stated, the reseller era is what has made these releases so chaotic. 

If the scene had been this chaotic back in the '80s and '90s, I never would've had the opportunity to get any of the OG Jordans.  I never camped out or even waited in lines for Jordans back then, not even for the OG Concords (or the 2000 Concords for that matter).C
My man, if Jordan Brand only made 130 million in sales last year, MJ would have to sell the Bobcats!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Jordan

Although, when first released the Air Jordan's originally sold for $65, but hit retail and clearance racks for as low as $20.

I am sure that you'd agree that there is a difference in something selling well, and then selling WELL. Selling fast means the demand is high, as with this debacle of a release for the XI.  

they need to limit sales 1 per customer and also have shoe stores be accountable for implementing a ticket system so that large crowds do not cause conflicts to society and to other merchants

Originally Posted by lacesunlimited

they need to limit sales 1 per customer and also have shoe stores be accountable for implementing a ticket system so that large crowds do not cause conflicts to society and to other merchants
THIS

stores should have some sort of pre-order system for future releases of this caliber

Yeah... Nike should have just contracted 10 more factories to produce additional units which would in turn make them push up their cost of the shoe...

Perhaps make 30 Million pairs with their cut being $130 of the $250 MSRP... thus pushing their take on this release alone to well over $150 Million dollars..

That would have done the trick..... No quality issues... no complaints... and plenty to go around... with Footlocker RTVing like the Concords were the plague.. lol

I mean with ALL the old Nike Execs taking Wall Street jobs now.. .they should have figured this out LONG LONG ago!!!

How is what Jordan does any different from Black Friday or any other marketing tool. Part of what makes Jordan Brand what it is is the exclusivity, granted it creates issues, but that's not due in part to the brand, but due to the consumers and resellers. Less the violence, which is a generational characteristic in my opinion, being in line to catch a retro and being one of the few to own that one pair to add to your collection is beauty. I love it.

I wouldnt be surprised if they treat this release like the true blues, first they were released to asia in 2009, two yrs later they come to the states in 2011. maybe they'll re release them to other countries, europe/asia exclusives

Originally Posted by Flood401

It is not so much that its the brand to blame for these riots its the stores.... The people who start the line at whatever time should be the first to get a pair and so on.... End of story. The limited release is so that they gain in price for a collector! For example who collects new cars as a hobby and keeps them.... Nobody because they depreciate, I don't want my jordans defacing in value because they make hundreds of thousands of pairs for everyone. Its like a signed sports collection its useful, fun, and has value.
new retros are not collectibles.  the market is saturated, everyone is just fighting resellers up front.  once that sorts itself out, demand is weak because too many sitting on them "collecting" and not as many being worn out.

Originally Posted by AirJordans23

A woman sued McDonald's, another huge corporation, because their coffee was extremely hot and it scalded her.  And she won. 

You've got to be kidding me. You're one of THOSE?

Coffee is supposed to be hot last time i checked.

Originally Posted by MJ4EVER2320

they should limit the sale to one shoe per person

real talk.

get in line twice if you want a complete pair. work for it, pray you get the same size.

Originally Posted by aphexacid

It's not supposed to be so hot that it could damn near kill you.  McDonalds was warned about the coffee and refused to do anything about it which = negligence. 

Restaurants used to make things too hot back in the day.  As a kid, I remember ordering a hot chocolate one time and having to let it sit for 10 minutes because it was that hot.  I couldn't even sip it or anything for 10 minutes. 

By the way, an injured customer could try to sue one of the stores for their medical bills and would have a legitimate case if the can show that people were injured in the past and the store did not take any precautions to prevent an unsafe environment. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by aphexacid

It's not supposed to be so hot that it could damn near kill you.  McDonalds was warned about the coffee and refused to do anything about it which = negligence. 

Restaurants used to make things too hot back in the day.  As a kid, I remember ordering a hot chocolate one time and having to let it sit for 10 minutes because it was that hot.  I couldn't even sip it or anything for 10 minutes. 

By the way, an injured customer could try to sue one of the stores for their medical bills and would have a legitimate case if the can show that people were injured in the past and the store did not take any precautions to prevent an unsafe environment. 

THIS I agree with.. and again that rests on the individual retailer... NOT Nike HQ.. they ALL act as different entities UNDER the Swoosh.. so at that point Heads of Niketowns, or Footlockers should lose jobs due to this being something that happens time and time again.

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

LOL at people thinking Nike/JB cares that anyone is upset.....

The shoes were a General Release , they were not that limited, the demand is just insanely high

Sure Nike could produce them every year and sell 500k pairs a year easily...... but whats worth more to them is the hysteria that keeps the brand hot and cool and will make everyone want to go line up for the next release date or pay a premium price for their regular shoes or clothing.

The XI releases make plenty of money for JB but they are worth 100x that to JB in terms of the brand recognition and appeal it creates. The XI concord is just one of several hundred product releases including all models and all colorways and clothes they do per year. It single handedly legitimizes the brand and enables them to keep their prices high and the brand from never going out of style no matter how bad any of the other products are

Because of all this JB will keep the XI limited to one release per year......its worth its weight in gold

This. Have you ever noticed how many people are walking around in the random jordan performance releases that drop throughout the year? Jordan perpetuates the exclusivity of their brand with Concords and other limited retros and then dudes that can't cop those get the slightly less expensive team jordan/performance/whatever you want to call thems that most of us on NT wouldn't consider buying even if they were at an outlet and we had F&F coupons.  For your average non-sneakerhead consumer (the black and white space jams crowd), that Jumpman logo still means a certain level of prestige that other brands don't have.

As for this particular release, the chaos and violence is partly in the hands of JB, partly in the retailers (FNL, FL, etc), and partly on the consumers.  And let's be honest, we can't control the million plus people that showed up ready to wild out at the malls across america. But their definitively should've been procedures in place coming down from Nike/JB, and the major chains to help control the crowds as much as possible.

its not about the shoe at all. people want to get these so they can resell and make a huge profit. thats what its all about anymore. i really doubt this was a gr release like everyone said. if nike did indeed make enough pairs to go around, there would not be some stores reciving only 16 pair and resellers wouldent have made an over the top profit.

sadly this is what the shoe game has come down too. Thats why i dont bother trying to cop these releases because its not worth getting yourself hyped over an over priced shoe that you have to camp or sit on your pc on your friday night at 12  with a chance at not even getting them. Give me a simple clean pair of maxes that arent super beasted over and im happy. Let them fools fight over the same j's evry few years and pay double then retail for all i care. You guys think Nike and JB arent planning these releases to be like this and care that people are getting killed over these shoes plz all they care about is getting that guap every year and the prices just keep going up.

The bottom line is this...getting a chance to buy a pair of basketball shoes - the Air Jordan XI or otherwise - shouldn't be worth risking your safety or your life.  It's that simple.  The way Jordan Brand/Nike purposely limited the number of pairs of the Concord XI just to build up the hype and frenzy surrounding their release isn't just irresponsible, it's ethically deplorable.  
These were not limited by any means.
They actually produced more Concords than they did Cool Greys from last year. And these were not a "limited general release", but were in fact a normal general release numbers wise....

The huge demand for them made them disappear like a QS....

Originally Posted by eltouha

Originally Posted by MJ4EVER2320

they should limit the sale to one shoe per person

real talk.

get in line twice if you want a complete pair. work for it, pray you get the same size.
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom