Sucker Punch

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

Originally Posted by AG 47

_'s is bugging saying this movie is absolute garbage.

Spoiler [+]
"Where do I fricking start? You get the backstory of the film for about 15 minutes in a mental asylum, father trying to get rid of his daughter, and as soon as you think she's going to get lobotomized, it switches to the womens prison? Is that even the right evaluation? What the hell kind of place are they in? It's part brothel, part prison, part dance school, but mostly STUPID. I just can't sympathize for this film at all. So apparently, Babydoll can dance, and sends everyone into a trance who watches, including herself, and her and her girls somehow are able to fight off bad guys in her trance-dreams. But her friends in the prison also are allowed to move freely while everyone else is in the trance, but they can't mess up in the dream or it'll affect them in real life! Nightmare on Elm Street anyone?"

-First off, the girl being lobotimized was Sweet Pea. Not Baby Doll. And that wasn't her father either...Step-Father. Anyways, the whole theme of the movie was "control the world you live in". Keep this in mind. Sweet Pea goes to get lobotimized and then she yells "STOP!" and the whole Burlesque scene is birthed. BUT in reality, she never yells stop because she gets lobotimized by Donald Draper. Everything that followed that is Sweet Pea controlling "the world she lives in". Even at the end, Baby Doll tells Sweet Pea that this isn't her (Baby Doll) story, but it's Sweet Pea's. Baby Doll's "story" doesn't start until she meets the High Roller (Don Draper) aka her lobotomy. Also, notice how all the females die EXCEPT the ones who were in the movie before the lobotomy because they were all part of Sweet Pea's imagination.

yo... can you explain the " EXCEPT the ones who were in the movie before the..." comment

didn't think the movie was as bad as critics are saying.. was entertaining, could have been better 7/10

Certainly.

Spoiler [+]
Recall in the beginning when Baby Doll first arrived to the insane asylum and she was brought to the "theater". There she made eye contact with Sweet Pea before
Sweet Pea was to be lobotimized. But here, in these early scenes, we never saw the asian chick, Sweet Pea's sister, or Vanessa Hudgens (could have been her with the black
hair, who got into the fight, but I doubt it). What I'm saying is that all these characters were revealed to us in Sweet Pea's fantasy land and that's why they died, because they
never existed in the first place.

Definitely thought the movie was well thought out. If anything, I enjoyed the plot more than the action.

Is this movie receving this hate because of the female leading roles?

Spoiler [+]
"Where do I fricking start? You get the backstory of the film for about 15 minutes in a mental asylum, father trying to get rid of his daughter, and as soon as you think she's going to get lobotomized, it switches to the womens prison? Is that even the right evaluation? What the hell kind of place are they in? It's part brothel, part prison, part dance school, but mostly STUPID. I just can't sympathize for this film at all. So apparently, Babydoll can dance, and sends everyone into a trance who watches, including herself, and her and her girls somehow are able to fight off bad guys in her trance-dreams. But her friends in the prison also are allowed to move freely while everyone else is in the trance, but they can't mess up in the dream or it'll affect them in real life! Nightmare on Elm Street anyone?"

-First off, the girl being lobotimized was Sweet Pea. Not Baby Doll. And that wasn't her father either...Step-Father. Anyways, the whole theme of the movie was "control the world you live in". Keep this in mind. Sweet Pea goes to get lobotimized and then she yells "STOP!" and the whole Burlesque scene is birthed. BUT in reality, she never yells stop because she gets lobotimized by Donald Draper. Everything that followed that is Sweet Pea controlling "the world she lives in". Even at the end, Baby Doll tells Sweet Pea that this isn't her (Baby Doll) story, but it's Sweet Pea's. Baby Doll's "story" doesn't start until she meets the High Roller (Don Draper) aka her lobotomy. Also, notice how all the females die EXCEPT the ones who were in the movie before the lobotomy because they were all part of Sweet Pea's imagination.

yo... can you explain the " EXCEPT the ones who were in the movie before the..." comment

didn't think the movie was as bad as critics are saying.. was entertaining, could have been better 7/10

Certainly.

Spoiler [+]
Recall in the beginning when Baby Doll first arrived to the insane asylum and she was brought to the "theater". There she made eye contact with Sweet Pea before
Sweet Pea was to be lobotimized. But here, in these early scenes, we never saw the asian chick, Sweet Pea's sister, or Vanessa Hudgens (could have been her with the black
hair, who got into the fight, but I doubt it). What I'm saying is that all these characters were revealed to us in Sweet Pea's fantasy land and that's why they died, because they

Definitely thought the movie was well thought out. If anything, I enjoyed the plot more than the action.

Spoiler [+]

Certainly.

Spoiler [+]

guess i would have to check it on 2nd viewing.. just thought they all were in the theater

Spoiler [+]

Certainly.

Spoiler [+]

guess i would have to check it on 2nd viewing.. just thought they all were in the theater

Nah, it's because it's terrible. I was pretty excited to see this (paid $14 to see it opening night) and I really tried to get into it. The idea was good, but the execution was just miserable. How about we include just oonnneee more rape fantasy, because two aren't enough for one movie.

Spoiler [+]
It WAS Babydoll who got lobotomized. The point was that she was the fifth item, and she had to sacrifice herself so that Sweet Pea could live. My main
indifferent.gif
was that Blue just killed Amber and Blondie like that. Are you serious? Hella anticlimactic. They should've died in some awesome fight scene, not within 20 seconds of each other.

Nah, it's because it's terrible. I was pretty excited to see this (paid $14 to see it opening night) and I really tried to get into it. The idea was good, but the execution was just miserable. How about we include just oonnneee more rape fantasy, because two aren't enough for one movie.

Spoiler [+]
It WAS Babydoll who got lobotomized. The point was that she was the fifth item, and she had to sacrifice herself so that Sweet Pea could live. My main
indifferent.gif
was that Blue just killed Amber and Blondie like that. Are you serious? Hella anticlimactic. They should've died in some awesome fight scene, not within 20 seconds of each other.

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
Come on now. You can try and explain the plot all you want, but it's just a mess. I understood what was going on. It's still a mess. The movie is about Baby Doll, don't even front like it isn't. Sweet Pea is second fiddle, and they just say it's about her in the end.

That doesn't explain how this movie is anything short of garbage. You can continue to explain the plot all you want, but fact is the acting was poor, the script was poor, the plot was poor, and just about everything was poor save the sound and cinematography of the film. So I guess GI Joe wasn't garbage either right? It's a decent concept for a video game or a manga, but not a movie. Not trying to be some cinema snob, but this had nothing for me.

If you want to go see girls who stand in front of green screens who can't act and look pretty with some decent CGI, go ahead, watch this movie. It's the film for you. Turn off your brain at the door.

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
Come on now. You can try and explain the plot all you want, but it's just a mess. I understood what was going on. It's still a mess. The movie is about Baby Doll, don't even front like it isn't. Sweet Pea is second fiddle, and they just say it's about her in the end.

That doesn't explain how this movie is anything short of garbage. You can continue to explain the plot all you want, but fact is the acting was poor, the script was poor, the plot was poor, and just about everything was poor save the sound and cinematography of the film. So I guess GI Joe wasn't garbage either right? It's a decent concept for a video game or a manga, but not a movie. Not trying to be some cinema snob, but this had nothing for me.

If you want to go see girls who stand in front of green screens who can't act and look pretty with some decent CGI, go ahead, watch this movie. It's the film for you. Turn off your brain at the door.

what the hell am i watching fa real what the hell is sucker punch its terrible %%$%*% terrible

what the hell am i watching fa real what the hell is sucker punch its terrible %%$%*% terrible

Spoiler [+]
I understood what was going on.... Sweet Pea is second fiddle, and they just say it's about her in the end

These statements contradict each other. The story is about Sweet Pea's escape. Sure, the movie is from Baby Doll's perspective, but the story is Sweet Pea's.
That's the only reason why she escapes, because Sweet Pea can control the outcome of this fantasy world, which starts at the burlesque scene. I'd love to go back
Baby Doll's lobotomy, she'll be free too.

GI JOE? We're going to compare this to G.I. Joe? This movie is 10x better than G.I. Joe. The closest comparison in terms of feel and style is Sin City. Please tell me what part of this movie screamed GREAT acting? Is it when you saw Vanessa Hudgens in it? Is that when you thought you were going to see Oscar performances? No %**%, the acting is subpar, but that's what you'd expect in action movies in general. Question, was the script in 300 outstanding too? Maybe you can give Watchmen a solid script. I'll give you that.

And an dee 51o

Spoiler [+]
There were 2 lobotomies. Sweet Pea's RIGHT before the burlesque scene. And Baby Doll's at the end. And yeah, rape scenes are always hard to pull off in movies. Every audience feels uncomfortable watching that. There was so much going on in that movie, I forgot about those.

This is clearly a movie you either love or you hate. I didn't walk into the theater and expect excellence...I save those expectations for Nolan, Tarantino, and Scorcese films. But I was pretty
entertained.

Spoiler [+]
I understood what was going on.... Sweet Pea is second fiddle, and they just say it's about her in the end

These statements contradict each other. The story is about Sweet Pea's escape. Sure, the movie is from Baby Doll's perspective, but the story is Sweet Pea's.
That's the only reason why she escapes, because Sweet Pea can control the outcome of this fantasy world, which starts at the burlesque scene. I'd love to go back
Baby Doll's lobotomy, she'll be free too.

GI JOE? We're going to compare this to G.I. Joe? This movie is 10x better than G.I. Joe. The closest comparison in terms of feel and style is Sin City. Please tell me what part of this movie screamed GREAT acting? Is it when you saw Vanessa Hudgens in it? Is that when you thought you were going to see Oscar performances? No %**%, the acting is subpar, but that's what you'd expect in action movies in general. Question, was the script in 300 outstanding too? Maybe you can give Watchmen a solid script. I'll give you that.

And an dee 51o

Spoiler [+]
There were 2 lobotomies. Sweet Pea's RIGHT before the burlesque scene. And Baby Doll's at the end. And yeah, rape scenes are always hard to pull off in movies. Every audience feels uncomfortable watching that. There was so much going on in that movie, I forgot about those.

This is clearly a movie you either love or you hate. I didn't walk into the theater and expect excellence...I save those expectations for Nolan, Tarantino, and Scorcese films. But I was pretty
entertained.

Please tell me what part of this movie screamed GREAT acting? Is it when you saw Vanessa Hudgens in it? Is that when you thought you were going to see Oscar performances? No %**%, the acting is subpar, but that's what you'd expect in action movies in general. Question, was the script in 300 outstanding too? Maybe you can give Watchmen a solid script. I'll give you that. 
but it wasn't a full on action movie. half of the movie's scenes were obviously supposed to make the viewer feel a certain way about what was happening on screen. the story wasn't the problem, it was a good idea. it was the story TELLING that killed it. 300 may not have had the best acting or the best script ever written, but it was effective in how it told the story. on top of how crazy everything looked, i cared about what was happening in 300. i wasn't expecting oscar winning performances from the cast of suckerpunch, but i expected at least a 300 level of story telling. 
same way a lot of these NT'ers make threads that sound like a
eek.gif
 thread judging by the title/OP's history...then you open the thread and see 2 sentences and no pictures. then OP comes back 5 pages later and posts a bunch of rated PG vanessa hudgens pics in an attempt to save the thread. watching suckerpunch felt like reading a really bad NT thread.

on some ol' "SORRY GUYS. HERE'S SOME PICS OF GIRLS TO MAKE UP FOR MY TERRIBLE THREAD"

242255e4d96c2d7d2ce1d87e1a2378d05d40ba6.png

if i seem salty, i am. it's 3 days later and the 15 bucks i'm out because of this movie is still bothering me. sucker punch is the most appropriately named movie ever made. 

Please tell me what part of this movie screamed GREAT acting? Is it when you saw Vanessa Hudgens in it? Is that when you thought you were going to see Oscar performances? No %**%, the acting is subpar, but that's what you'd expect in action movies in general. Question, was the script in 300 outstanding too? Maybe you can give Watchmen a solid script. I'll give you that. 
but it wasn't a full on action movie. half of the movie's scenes were obviously supposed to make the viewer feel a certain way about what was happening on screen. the story wasn't the problem, it was a good idea. it was the story TELLING that killed it. 300 may not have had the best acting or the best script ever written, but it was effective in how it told the story. on top of how crazy everything looked, i cared about what was happening in 300. i wasn't expecting oscar winning performances from the cast of suckerpunch, but i expected at least a 300 level of story telling. 
same way a lot of these NT'ers make threads that sound like a
eek.gif
 thread judging by the title/OP's history...then you open the thread and see 2 sentences and no pictures. then OP comes back 5 pages later and posts a bunch of rated PG vanessa hudgens pics in an attempt to save the thread. watching suckerpunch felt like reading a really bad NT thread.

on some ol' "SORRY GUYS. HERE'S SOME PICS OF GIRLS TO MAKE UP FOR MY TERRIBLE THREAD"

242255e4d96c2d7d2ce1d87e1a2378d05d40ba6.png

if i seem salty, i am. it's 3 days later and the 15 bucks i'm out because of this movie is still bothering me. sucker punch is the most appropriately named movie ever made. 

Seriously, all this backlash against the film makes me want to see it now. 
laugh.gif

And if this film is "that bad," I hope he makes up for it with his "next film."

Seriously, all this backlash against the film makes me want to see it now. 
laugh.gif

And if this film is "that bad," I hope he makes up for it with his "next film."

i was at the movies today and had to choose between this and Paul.  i chose paul which was actually pretty good.
i don't know, maybe all the super negative reviews sucker punch got could be wrong.  i haven't seen people speak this bad of a movie in a long time.

i was at the movies today and had to choose between this and Paul.  i chose paul which was actually pretty good.
i don't know, maybe all the super negative reviews sucker punch got could be wrong.  i haven't seen people speak this bad of a movie in a long time.

entertained.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]This is exactly where i am. The movie was entertaining, i really liked the visuals, storyline (as much that was thrown in at once) does make sense and i liked it. The soundtrack was dope, fight scenes i liked. This isn't a movie that was gonna get an oscar or two. It's almost exactly what i expected, and i pretty much figured everyone would dump on it. I personally liked it.[/color]

Back
Top Bottom