Taking a step back just to move forward...still shaking my head though.

So I needed to type this out and put it in a place where I could get some feedback. I have been working overseas for 3 years now and I can't even lie, I have been having a good time. The company that I work for now just pulled a foul move on me (as well as many people who they are now hiring) In the contracting world companies bid on projects and the make their case why they should win the bid to the U.S. Government right. Well the lowest bidder usually wins these things and with the project I work on the lowest bidder did win, BUT with one fatal flaw. My company told the government that they could do the job at damn near half the cost of what other companies said they needed to do it. Well guess what my company is now coming out of their own pockets to make the project work. The government basically told them we wont give you any more money than what you bid for and you better make this project work. So how does big business find the money to aid the project, they take it from the employees. There are people coming into the company who make almost half of what their co-workers make. So instead of fully coming out of their pockets they are taking out of the new employees.
What does this have to do with me???

I just switched from one field (Airfield Ops) to another (IT) and by all means it should mean a pay raise right? NOPE!!! Well, I have been working with the company for mutli years so they at least have to have a policy where I wouldn't get any less than what I was making before, right? NOPE!!! These bastards told me if you want to take this job you have to take a pay cut. How much??? I am looking -$15,000 from my normal salary. I mean man that is a nice chunk of money to lose out on. Now I am a grown man who made the decision to move knowing this because the opportunity for growth in the IT field outweighs that in Airfield Ops by far and I may be able to recoup some of the lost funds in about 60 days barring my supervisor switches up my position, but I mean still that is a cut for real.

I am lucky even if I am complaining right now. I don't have any IT certs, I just know the field and I am a quick learner and I am still getting paid well, but man when you think of what I could be making it just bothers me from time to time. No matter how happy I am to be working in the field everyone told I should be in that money lost stays on my mind when I always claim I am on the grind to make and move money.This move was not a good one for the short term, but a move to alter my career path over the long haul.  I guess like my title says sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. 
frown.gif

Just need to share that with fam!

So I needed to type this out and put it in a place where I could get some feedback. I have been working overseas for 3 years now and I can't even lie, I have been having a good time. The company that I work for now just pulled a foul move on me (as well as many people who they are now hiring) In the contracting world companies bid on projects and the make their case why they should win the bid to the U.S. Government right. Well the lowest bidder usually wins these things and with the project I work on the lowest bidder did win, BUT with one fatal flaw. My company told the government that they could do the job at damn near half the cost of what other companies said they needed to do it. Well guess what my company is now coming out of their own pockets to make the project work. The government basically told them we wont give you any more money than what you bid for and you better make this project work. So how does big business find the money to aid the project, they take it from the employees. There are people coming into the company who make almost half of what their co-workers make. So instead of fully coming out of their pockets they are taking out of the new employees.
What does this have to do with me???

I just switched from one field (Airfield Ops) to another (IT) and by all means it should mean a pay raise right? NOPE!!! Well, I have been working with the company for mutli years so they at least have to have a policy where I wouldn't get any less than what I was making before, right? NOPE!!! These bastards told me if you want to take this job you have to take a pay cut. How much??? I am looking -$15,000 from my normal salary. I mean man that is a nice chunk of money to lose out on. Now I am a grown man who made the decision to move knowing this because the opportunity for growth in the IT field outweighs that in Airfield Ops by far and I may be able to recoup some of the lost funds in about 60 days barring my supervisor switches up my position, but I mean still that is a cut for real.

I am lucky even if I am complaining right now. I don't have any IT certs, I just know the field and I am a quick learner and I am still getting paid well, but man when you think of what I could be making it just bothers me from time to time. No matter how happy I am to be working in the field everyone told I should be in that money lost stays on my mind when I always claim I am on the grind to make and move money.This move was not a good one for the short term, but a move to alter my career path over the long haul.  I guess like my title says sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. 
frown.gif

Just need to share that with fam!

People are losing their jobs left and right so you still have a lot to be thankful for, but at the same time that sucks. Hold your head bro.

People are losing their jobs left and right so you still have a lot to be thankful for, but at the same time that sucks. Hold your head bro.

Back
Top Bottom