Teen Racially Profiled By Barneys, NYPD After Buying $300 Belt

This happened a couple of days ago, surprised a thread wasn't made, unless i missed it

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) –  An engineering student has filed a civil rights lawsuit against the NYPD and Barneys New York after he claims he was racially profiled while shopping at the Madison Avenue store.

City College of Technology student Trayon Christian, 19, said the store and police targeted him because they didn’t think he could afford a $300 Ferragamo belt.

Christian said he had just been paid from his work-study job when he went to Barneys to purchase the belt back in April.

After buying the belt using his Chase debit card, Christian’s attorney Michael Palillo said he was stopped less than a block from the store by undercover NYPD detectives.

Palillo said the officers told Christian they had received a call from Barneys telling them that the debit card he used to buy the belt was fraudulent.

“They remove him from the sidewalk and basically move him to the side of a building where they say they’re going to call up Chase and one of the officers, I understand, asks him ‘how can you afford such a belt?’” Palillo told 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa.

Palillo said Christian was then handcuffed and taken to a police precinct where he was held for two hours. He was released after his bank verified his account and debit card.

“He was profiled, he was racially profiled,” Palillo said. “I truly feel that if he wasn’t a young black man, this never would have happened.”

Christian, who later returned the belt to the store, said the incident was embarrassing and that the experience has changed him.

“It makes me look at stuff very different based on my race,” he told 1010 WINS’ Al Jones.

As WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond reported, Christian is suing Barneys and the NYPD for racial discrimination, saying the incident has caused him great physical and mental distress.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages. Christian said he hopes something good will come out of it.

“I hope Barneys’ policies change and the cops,” he said.

A Barneys New York spokesperson issued a statement that said:

“Barneys New York typically does not comment on pending litigation. In this instance, we feel compelled to note that after carefully reviewing the incident of last April, it is clear that no employee of Barneys New York was involved in the pursuit of any action with the individual other than the sale. Barneys New York has zero tolerance for any form of discrimination and we stand by our long history in support of all human rights.”

The NYPD had no comment.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10...ofiled-by-barneys-nypd-after-buying-300-belt/

Alot of guys on here including myself shop at these types of stores. This could have happened to any of else. I've been there a handful of times and always got a vibe from the staff that I shouldn't be here. I doubt I'll ever step foot in their again

I'm glad he's suing both of them. Hope he gets everything he's asking for.

And this can/will be cleared up easily:

it is clear that no employee of Barneys New York was involved in the pursuit of any action with the individual other than the sale

Last edited:
Hope he gets what he's suing for and then some.  I shop at the Barneys out here in SF, but it's still disappointing
mean.gif
.  Not sure how the cops knew what form of payment he had unless he was following him in the store, so he must've been tipped off somehow...

This happened to another shopper back in February 

Kayla Phillips, 21, says she was stopped by four plainclothes police officers who suspected she committed credit card fraud after she purchased a $2,54 designer purse from the Barneys New York flagship store on Feb. 28, 2013, the New York Daily News  reports. The nursing student from Brooklyn says she had been looking to buy an orange Céline bag sold in Manhattan. And when she received cash from her tax return in February, she took a trip to Barneys to buy the purse.

Phillips used her Bank of America debit card to complete the purchase and says she had no issues during the transaction. But close to three blocks away from the store, undercover cops at a subway station stopped her. “There were three men and a woman,” she told the Daily News. “Two of them attacked me and pushed me against a wall, and the other two appeared in front of me, blocking the turnstile.”

According to Phillips, they began asking her several questions as well as demanded to see her ID.

“They were very rough,” said Phillips. “They kept asking me what I bought and saying, ‘Show us your card.’ I didn’t know what was happening.” At the time, Phillips was working at Home Depot and says she had just opened up the Bank of America account. She used a temporary ATM card that didn’t have her name on to buy the purse. But she did have her official ATM card on her that had arrived in the mail and showed police the letter stating that she hadn’t yet activated the new card.

“They kept asking how I could afford this expensive bag and why had I paid for it with a card with no name on it,” said Phillips. She also said that officers questioned her about the Chanel bag that she was carrying the day of the incident.

Phillips has filed a $5 million notice of claim informing the city of her plans to sue the NYPD. And since her brother is an NYPD officer, Phillips said she knew procedures enough to be sure to ask for the detective’s names and badges.

This is the second story shared this week by a Barneys shopper involving racial profiling claims. Nineteen-year-old Trayon Christian says he was singled out  by Barneys New York staff when he used his debit card to buy a $349 Salvatore Ferragamo belt, ultimately leading to Christian being detained by police who didn't think he could afford the item. Christian has filed a lawsuit against Barneys and the NYPD for unspecified damages.

http://www.ibtimes.com/meet-kayla-p...dit-card-fraud-buying-designer-handbag-report
And this can/will be cleared up easily:
it is clear that no employee of Barneys New York was involved in the pursuit of any action with the individual other than the sale
Im not buying that. Howdid detectives know who to arrest unless a sales clerk tipped them off?

theres a lot of credit card fraud going on right now but how you gonna straight profile someone with no plausible evidence 

they took a gamble and chose the wrong dude. dude is in college as an engineering student and had a job oh lawd that makes 

this look even worse on their part 
mean.gif
roll.gif

hope dude comes up  and goes to school for free off this 

Last edited:
absolutely vile.

i really hope he doesn't accept a settlement if they attempt to offer one. examples need to be made out of both Barney's & the PD. the fact that this has happened twice this year makes you wonder if there are others who haven't spoken up about this kind of treatment. :smh:

*edit* loving those fb comments!

Last edited:
Wow was not expecting those responses

my experience on the internet of when racial situations arise is people "tell you how they 

really feel" but im happily mistaken. On another note i never really liked going in those 

luxury stores anyways. I always get a "what are you doing here vibe".

Last edited:
Glad people are voicing their opinions, facebook or not.  Insignificant, but I won't be shopping at Barneys anymore
mean.gif

I worked high end retail long enough to know that they profile EVERYBODY lol. Doesn't matter what race you are. Trust me. Hell, the overwhelming majority of sketchy people and scammers were white. Retailers know they come in all shapes, colors and sizes.

I'm not sure how this escalated to the point where the kid was detained by police, but there isn't a single major retailer that would arrest someone after a legit sale. Hell, they can't even get you arrested after bogus sales lol. It just doesn't happen.

uh oh jay

Shirt will benefit boys and girls club.
he's feeling it too
[h2]Jay Z Facing Criticism For Collaborating With Barneys After Racial-Profiling Incidents[/h2]
Via NYDailyNews
He’s got 99 problems and Barneys is a big one.

Jay Z is getting slammed online for his association with the high-end department store rocked this week by two separate instances in which black shoppers say they were profiled and mistakenly accused of theft.

The department store isn’t faring any better, with at least one online petition calling for a boycott.

The enterprising user behind the change.org petition is also selling “Barneys New Slaves” T-shirts with proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Club of America.

Even big names like Questlove, the drummer for The Roots, and Power 105 DJ Angela Yee are getting in on the criticism:

guess where i won’t be christmas shopping for mom this year. http://t.co/kJ1ugdOXXP#shame #Barneys

Reading about this second person who's come forward with a similar complaint. She used a card that didn't have her name on it. That's an automatic red flag. But good job, news outlets, burying a very important part of the story. Not saying the police handled it well on their end, but I don't blame a sales associate at Barney's for reporting that to LP.

Edit: although, what you're supposed to do is just tell the customer you're going to call it in to verify the person's identity. If it's a scammer, they'll grab the card and run.

Last edited:
People are stupid, we really gonna act like Jayz probably didn't sign a deal with Barney's BEFORE this incident.

And wth is this kid doing buying a 350 dollar belt with work study money.

How do you think someone is scamming when they use a debit card and provided a state ID? Wow those employees are real idiots and probably can't afford anything in there.

53 cases of fraud out of thousands of transactions a year, warrants this type of extremism?

Last edited:
As unfortunate as this is, this really gives me an idea for a hustle:

Step 1: Go to Barneys and purchase something really really expensive.

Step 2: Lure these racist pigs into profiling me, and hopefully abusing my civil rights, via my minority-ness.

Step 3: Hire a lawyer

Step 4: Profit!!!!

Step 5 (Optional): If step 2 doesn't go as I would hope, which is to say that they don't harass me, eventually return high priced item and take the L (here, we define the L as having been treated fairly and equally as any other--see white--customer, in the eyes of the law...:lol: x :smh:).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom