Testing video games OR other side jobs??

What's up NT,I have been thinking about some side jobs or other, flexible ways to make some extra cash. I've seen ads, some legit and some fake, claiming they need help with testing video games, rating them, giving the producers feedback, etc.I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to point me in the right direction. If not, can someone please give me a little insight on where to start as far as a side job goes. Maybe be a typist or something of that nature from home. By the way, I am not a little 14 year old looking for chore money, etc. I'm in college, a grown man. I'm just always trying to utilize my time and efforts to something positive and productive. Thanks for the help in advance.

What's up NT,I have been thinking about some side jobs or other, flexible ways to make some extra cash. I've seen ads, some legit and some fake, claiming they need help with testing video games, rating them, giving the producers feedback, etc.I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to point me in the right direction. If not, can someone please give me a little insight on where to start as far as a side job goes. Maybe be a typist or something of that nature from home. By the way, I am not a little 14 year old looking for chore money, etc. I'm in college, a grown man. I'm just always trying to utilize my time and efforts to something positive and productive. Thanks for the help in advance.

Some ads are scams some aren't.

If you want to get a legit QA job I suggest you go to a video game's company website and apply for a position by following their guidelines. Expect to make $9-$12/hr. If you're in college it's probably a no go since during crunch you will need to work 12 hr shifts and weekends. Also, you will be a temp employee and almost certainly lack benefits.

There are a few cases where people test games for a week and give feedback but they usually only last for 1 week and are not paid particularly well. There's also single session focus testing where you can focus test games for 3 hours and make 50 bucks. In some cases you don't get money but 2 or 3 free games from the developer.

If you want to get a legit QA job I suggest you go to a video game's company website and apply for a position by following their guidelines. Expect to make $9-$12/hr. If you're in college it's probably a no go since during crunch you will need to work 12 hr shifts and weekends. Also, you will be a temp employee and almost certainly lack benefits.

There are a few cases where people test games for a week and give feedback but they usually only last for 1 week and are not paid particularly well. There's also single session focus testing where you can focus test games for 3 hours and make 50 bucks. In some cases you don't get money but 2 or 3 free games from the developer.

I used to test video games at Nintendo... Sounds good on paper, but actually it isn't...

Pros:

- Playing video games all day.
- Easy pay for easy work.

Cons:

- Playing the SAME video game for 8 hours a day, for months at a time...
- People all around you are full time GEEKS, talks about/plays video games 24/7. The only subject I heard people talk about was either WoW or MW2...
- I didn't play games outside of work because I wasn't mentally up for it because of the work.
- Was in Redmond (I live in Kent, and thats a 45 minute drive. During rush hour, its 1.5 hours)

I used to test video games at Nintendo... Sounds good on paper, but actually it isn't...

Pros:

Cons:

- People all around you are full time GEEKS, talks about/plays video games 24/7. The only subject I heard people talk about was either WoW or MW2...
- I didn't play games outside of work because I wasn't mentally up for it because of the work.
- Was in Redmond (I live in Kent, and thats a 45 minute drive. During rush hour, its 1.5 hours)

Originally Posted by Dunks206

You ever spend like half a day finding a bug then working to recreate it, get everything written up only to see a "WNF"
laugh.gif

I can only imagine what you dudes feel on the inside after that.

You ever spend like half a day finding a bug then working to recreate it, get everything written up only to see a "WNF"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Great info here all the way around. I truly appreciate it. For me, $10 - $12 an hour works for some side cash. A few free games are cool too. Can't complain. What are some websites where I can apply?

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Great info here all the way around. I truly appreciate it. For me, $10 - $12 an hour works for some side cash. A few free games are cool too. Can't complain. What are some websites where I can apply?

My friend says that the testers are miserable. You are better of working at a place where youc an get a discount. You want a tv? Work at best buy. You want cheap furniture? Work at ikea. I would work at whatever place sells the thing you are saving up for.

My friend says that the testers are miserable. You are better of working at a place where youc an get a discount. You want a tv? Work at best buy. You want cheap furniture? Work at ikea. I would work at whatever place sells the thing you are saving up for.

lrredsoxfan06 wrote:

What city do you live in?

Pros:

Cons:

All the 'cons' you listed don't seem like 'cons' to me. They may be 'cons' if I start though. Where you work when you did? How did you get the opportunity? Are all 'testing video game jobs' 8 hours a day?

lrredsoxfan06 wrote:

What city do you live in?

Pros:

Cons:

All the 'cons' you listed don't seem like 'cons' to me. They may be 'cons' if I start though. Where you work when you did? How did you get the opportunity? Are all 'testing video game jobs' 8 hours a day?

laugh.gif

Man... I remember finding a hard lock on accident (I was bored so I watched movies/TV shows on my iPod 95% of the time) and had to reproduce it... Couldn't figure it out for a week... So doing the same thing over and over and over again 8 hours at a time for a week... So wack! Haha

laugh.gif

Man... I remember finding a hard lock on accident (I was bored so I watched movies/TV shows on my iPod 95% of the time) and had to reproduce it... Couldn't figure it out for a week... So doing the same thing over and over and over again 8 hours at a time for a week... So wack! Haha

Originally Posted by bkdan1

You're better off learning a programming language in your spare time.

I'm already going to school FT for accounting. Programming language isn't attractive to me. Playing video games is.

Originally Posted by bkdan1

You're better off learning a programming language in your spare time.

I'm already going to school FT for accounting. Programming language isn't attractive to me. Playing video games is.

Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06

All the 'cons' you listed don't seem like 'cons' to me. They may be 'cons' if I start though.

Where you work when you did? How did you get the opportunity? Are all 'testing video game jobs' 8 hours a day?

1. It was cool in the beginning... but think of this... Say you test are testing a "game" or whatever Nintendo decides to make like a screen saver or so (I had to do one, and the most interactive thing you did in the game was swim either slow or fast... there is a set route, so you don't manouver at all... either swim slow or fast). Think about doing something like that for 8 hours at a time for months... I'm just glad I had my 160gb iPod with Entourage, Weeds, The Office, and a tons of movies on there to keep me going back.

2. "Where you work when you did? Huh? If you are talking about my commute, it was pretty bad until I found a carpool who lived next to the gym I worked out at.

3. My brother works there (3 years now...
indifferent.gif
) and he says its the best thing ever. While working there for a month, I couldn't stand working with the people... Everybody there are stuck up... The reason I was there for so long was because I just bought a car, and I needed the hours, haha.

4. I don't know about others, but Nintendo is an 8-5 job with a 1 hour lunch, and 15 mintue breaks every two hours. My friend used to work for Bungie and worked on Halo ODST, and it was 8-4:30 with a half hour lunch. And one more friend worked on Project Natal and is also 8-4:30...

Back
Top Bottom