Testing video games OR other side jobs??

Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06

All the 'cons' you listed don't seem like 'cons' to me. They may be 'cons' if I start though.

Where you work when you did? How did you get the opportunity? Are all 'testing video game jobs' 8 hours a day?

1. It was cool in the beginning... but think of this... Say you test are testing a "game" or whatever Nintendo decides to make like a screen saver or so (I had to do one, and the most interactive thing you did in the game was swim either slow or fast... there is a set route, so you don't manouver at all... either swim slow or fast). Think about doing something like that for 8 hours at a time for months... I'm just glad I had my 160gb iPod with Entourage, Weeds, The Office, and a tons of movies on there to keep me going back.

2. "Where you work when you did? Huh? If you are talking about my commute, it was pretty bad until I found a carpool who lived next to the gym I worked out at.

3. My brother works there (3 years now...
indifferent.gif
) and he says its the best thing ever. While working there for a month, I couldn't stand working with the people... Everybody there are stuck up... The reason I was there for so long was because I just bought a car, and I needed the hours, haha.

4. I don't know about others, but Nintendo is an 8-5 job with a 1 hour lunch, and 15 mintue breaks every two hours. My friend used to work for Bungie and worked on Halo ODST, and it was 8-4:30 with a half hour lunch. And one more friend worked on Project Natal and is also 8-4:30...

Originally Posted by georgehimself

My friend says that the testers are miserable. You are better of working at a place where youc an get a discount. You want a tv? Work at best buy. You want cheap furniture? Work at ikea. I would work at whatever place sells the thing you are saving up for.

I'm at the age and point in my life where I can't do this. I'm graduating from college in a year so I'm working with stepping stones for my career. All I want is side money, however I can do it.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

My friend says that the testers are miserable. You are better of working at a place where youc an get a discount. You want a tv? Work at best buy. You want cheap furniture? Work at ikea. I would work at whatever place sells the thing you are saving up for.

I'm at the age and point in my life where I can't do this. I'm graduating from college in a year so I'm working with stepping stones for my career. All I want is side money, however I can do it.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

lrredsoxfan06 wrote:
Great info here all the way around. I truly appreciate it. For me, $10 - $12 an hour works for some side cash. A few free games are cool too. Can't complain. What are some websites where I can apply?

What city do you live in?

Columbia, MD. But on a bigger scale, Baltimore and DC.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

lrredsoxfan06 wrote:
Great info here all the way around. I truly appreciate it. For me, $10 - $12 an hour works for some side cash. A few free games are cool too. Can't complain. What are some websites where I can apply?

What city do you live in?

Columbia, MD. But on a bigger scale, Baltimore and DC.

Originally Posted by Dunks206

All the 'cons' you listed don't seem like 'cons' to me. They may be 'cons' if I start though.

Where you work when you did? How did you get the opportunity? Are all 'testing video game jobs' 8 hours a day?

1. It was cool in the beginning... but think of this... Say you test are testing a "game" or whatever Nintendo decides to make like a screen saver or so (I had to do one, and the most interactive thing you did in the game was swim either slow or fast... there is a set route, so you don't manouver at all... either swim slow or fast). Think about doing something like that for 8 hours at a time for months... I'm just glad I had my 160gb iPod with Entourage, Weeds, The Office, and a tons of movies on there to keep me going back.

2. "Where you work when you did? Huh? If you are talking about my commute, it was pretty bad until I found a carpool who lived next to the gym I worked out at.

3. My brother works there (3Q years now...
indifferent.gif
) and he says its the best thing ever. While working there for a month, I couldn't stand working with the people... Everybody there are stuck up... The reason I was there for so long was because I just bought a car, and I needed the hours, haha.

4. I don't know about others, but Nintendo is an 8-5 job with a 1 hour lunch, and 15 mintue breaks every two hours. My friend used to work for Bungie and worked on Halo ODST, and it was 8-4:30 with a half hour lunch. And one more friend worked on Project Natal and is also 8-4:30...

Isn't there a way to test games from home though?

3. My brother works there (3Q years now...
indifferent.gif

Isn't there a way to test games from home though?

You can do part-time security. I don't think there are many (any?) video game testing positions in the DMV area.

You can do part-time security. I don't think there are many (any?) video game testing positions in the DMV area.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Where can I capitalize on PT security?

I used to test video games at Nintendo... Sounds good on paper, but actually it isn't...

Pros:

- Playing video games all day.

- Easy pay for easy work.

Cons:

- Playing the SAME video game for 8 hours a day, for months at a time...

- People all around you are full time GEEKS, talks about/plays video games 24/7. The only subject I heard people talk about was either WoW or MW2...

- I didn't play games outside of work because I wasn't mentally up for it because of the work.

- Was in Redmond (I live in Kent, and thats a 45 minute drive. During rush hour, its 1.5 hours)

Other than driving and hanging with geeks, i'll do the others.

I used to test video games at Nintendo... Sounds good on paper, but actually it isn't...

Pros:

- Playing video games all day.

- Easy pay for easy work.

Cons:

- Playing the SAME video game for 8 hours a day, for months at a time...

- People all around you are full time GEEKS, talks about/plays video games 24/7. The only subject I heard people talk about was either WoW or MW2...

- I didn't play games outside of work because I wasn't mentally up for it because of the work.

- Was in Redmond (I live in Kent, and thats a 45 minute drive. During rush hour, its 1.5 hours)

Other than driving and hanging with geeks, i'll do the others.

I test video games for Activision and Sony every now and then. I know that works recruiting ppl to test games so he calls me when theres a gig. But he also posts on CL so I suggest going under gigs on CL and search video game testers/testing. Good luck. Activision pays well usually at least $100 for a 3 hr session. I've done a few longer ones that paid up to $500. Sony pays $50-$100 and they both give new games also

I test video games for Activision and Sony every now and then. I know that works recruiting ppl to test games so he calls me when theres a gig. But he also posts on CL so I suggest going under gigs on CL and search video game testers/testing. Good luck. Activision pays well usually at least $100 for a 3 hr session. I've done a few longer ones that paid up to $500. Sony pays $50-$100 and they both give new games also

I'm interested. I'm in NYC. Just go to the software company or the hardware (nintendo, sony playstation, x-box)?

I remember Nintendo sent me a tape offering me this job when I was younger. Trying to tempt me to quit elementary school/jhs to play Donkey Kong all day.

I'm interested. I'm in NYC. Just go to the software company or the hardware (nintendo, sony playstation, x-box)?

I remember Nintendo sent me a tape offering me this job when I was younger. Trying to tempt me to quit elementary school/jhs to play Donkey Kong all day.

I'm not from the Columbia area, but I'm sure there are a few contract security positions up there.  Visit greatsecurityjobs.com and securitas.com and fill out an application.  You basically can work 20-30 hours a week standing around doing nothing. 

I'm not from the Columbia area, but I'm sure there are a few contract security positions up there.  Visit greatsecurityjobs.com and securitas.com and fill out an application.  You basically can work 20-30 hours a week standing around doing nothing. 

Originally Posted by VeEzyV

You test from your home? Is there ANY WAY that you can remember to PM when you find some space for me to assist with a gig? If GREATLY appreciate it homie.

Originally Posted by VeEzyV

You test from your home? Is there ANY WAY that you can remember to PM when you find some space for me to assist with a gig? If GREATLY appreciate it homie.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Good question. As for the DK thing, that's Fin hilarious.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Good question. As for the DK thing, that's Fin hilarious.

Good looking out dude. Truly appreciate it.

Good looking out dude. Truly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom