The College Basketball Post

craftsy, you know little brother was at the game last night..

yall got a serious shot from everything I can tell...

Be careful what you wish for.

Kentucky fans drove Tubby Smith out of Lexington despite a national title and 10 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

They wanted a guy who could recruit McDonald's All-Americans.

Someone that could take them back to the promised land - where Big Blue was competing for national championships again.

Instead, they got Billy Clyde Gillispie.

At first, they accepted him like their first-born. It didn't matter that he had only been a head coach for five years and was a virtual unknown who had been pegged by arguably the most storied program in the history of college basketball.

Billy Clyde was theirs and they stood behind him - no matter what I or anyone else said. They went nuts when he was unveiled on Midnight Madness two years ago, emerging triumphant from behind four large curtains.

But now, after nearly two ho-hum seasons in the Gillispie Era, his act is starting to wear thin with the Wildcat Faithful.

He hasn't won enough games, hasn't gotten much more done than Smith on the recruiting trail and has upset many in Lexington with his off-court antics.

"This team is a train wreck," said 37-year-old Ken O'Roark, a diehard UK fan who grew up in the state. "He's got Jodie Meeks, a first-team All-American and Patrick Patterson, one of the best big men in the country. With a different coach, this team would win 25 games."

"It's not the players' fault," he added. "It's his fault. It's not about the talent. It's 100 percent him."

O'Roark's comments came immediately following Kentucky's 90-85 loss to a Georgia team that came into Rupp Arena with an interim coach, just two SEC wins and virtually nothing to play for except pride.

It was Gillispie's seventh loss in the last 10 games overall and his 10th setback at home in two seasons. Prior to last week, the last time LSU won at Rupp was back when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was still Chris Jackson.

Tubby lost 19 games at home in a decade of work. Rick Pitino dropped seven at Rupp in eight years. Gillispie is on pace to lose 50 if he lasts a decade - which is highly improbable at this rate.

Now the Wildcats, who were 83-5 on Senior Night prior to the loss, could miss out on the Big Dance for the first time since 1991 - a season in which the 22-6 Wildcats were banned from going to the tourney.

When Kentucky lost to Gardner-Webb at Rupp last year, it was all Tubby's fault. He didn't leave enough talent behind.

That's not the case anymore.

Meeks (who was brought in by Smith) and Patterson are arguably the top duo in the entire country and Gillispie secured a class that included highly touted freshmen DeAndre Liggins and Darius Miller - along with junior college kids Josh Harrellson and Kevin Galloway.

Things were looking up and fans like O'Roark remained behind Gillispie and the new regime, even after the loss at home to VMI at the beginning of this season. It helped that the Wildcats got on a bit of a roll, winning 16 of 18 games at one point.

Even with Jodie Meeks on board, it's been a tough year at Kentucky. ( / Getty Images)

But as quickly as the Wildcats moved into the Top 25, that's how abruptly they departed. Three consecutive losses in late-January - starting with a road setback to injury-ravaged Ole Miss and followed by home losses to South Carolina and Mississippi State - had many questioning whether Gillispie was the right guy.

None of the newcomers that Gillispie brought in have made any significant impact. Although Liggins, who played just one minute against Georgia, and Miller were both Scout.com Top 100 kids, neither were McDonald's All-Americans.

Now even the former players have started to come out in droves and question whether Gillispie is the right man for the job.

"First of all, I think he's in over his head," former UK standout Mike Casey told one Kentucky internet web site earlier in the week. "I think he has no clue as to what's going on in the game."

"I pull for Billy and want to see him do well," added ex-Wildcats star Kenny "Sky" Walker. "I understand Billy wasn't left an abundance of talent, but he did have Jodie Meeks, Derrick Jasper and Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley. Those are some pretty good players."

"I'm not buying that they aren't talented enough," Walker added. "I think any other coach in the country would love to have Meeks and Patterson and give them whatever else to go along with it."

Last year's team got knocked out in the first round of the NCAA tournament, which hadn't happened since Eddie Sutton was at the helm in 1987.

Then Jasper bolted over the summer because, according to sources close to the situation, he was pressured back from an injury by Gillispie and the team's trainer. That left Kentucky without a bona-fide point guard. Michael Porter remains the starter, but is more suited to the mid-major level. Liggins isn't ready to play the position and Galloway has seen sporadic minutes and remains on the bench.

Now Kentucky sits at 19-11 and 8-7 in the SEC East with three consecutive losses.

Gillispie was hired nearly two years ago after just five seasons as a D-1 head coach. He orchestrated two impressive turnarounds - first at UTEP and then at Texas A&M - and is regarded as having a work ethic nearly unparalleled by his peers.

"He had a quick rise," Walker said. "And the next thing you know he's at Kentucky."

Lexington just isn't the same as College Station or El Paso.

"It's the first time he's been in a pressure situation," Walker added. "Everywhere he's been, he didn't have anywhere to go but up. Kentucky is a whole different animal."

Many question his substitution patterns, his decision to go through a full, sometimes two-hour practice on game day and his stubbornness - including his decision to stick exclusively with man-to-man defense. Others are upset at his attitude - his willingness to blame the game on one player last week and also a pair of condescending halftime interactions with television sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards.

"There was no reason to be rude or disrespectful," said former Kentucky player Bobby Perry, who is a radio analyst on the pre- and post-game shows. "That's what he was. It was uncalled for."

"A lot of people don't like him," said one of Gillispie's former players. "Everybody is scared of him. He doesn't treat people like humans."

Perry said the tide has begun to turn as far as the fan support is concerned in Big Blue Nation.

"At the start of the season, even after the VMI loss, I'd say it was 70-30 with 70 percent in favor," Perry said. "But now it's close to even. In fact, the majority in the past week have been unfavorable to him."

In fact, in a poll at a web site called Kentucky Sports Radio posted Thursday morning that asked fans whether they want Gillispie as their coach next year, it was nearly an even split - at 51 percent basically voting to get rid of their guy.

"I just don't think he knows what it means to coach at UK," Casey added. "I hate to say it, but a change has to be made, and soon, or we're going to lose what UK is all about."

While Kentucky fans can only hope that their beloved Wildcats knock off Florida in Gainesville on Saturday and go on a Georgia-esque run in the SEC tournament, it's not as if they are looking toward next season with anticipation.

There's a decent chance that both Patterson and Meeks will declare for the NBA Draft after the season and that at least one of them will not be returning to Kentucky. While Gillispie will bring in talented big man Daniel Orton as a potential replacement for Patterson and also wing Jon Hood, his point guard situation will remain the same.

That means the Wildcats could be in an identical situation this time next season - on the wrong side of the proverbial bubble.

On the same night that Kentucky's current coach suffered arguably his worst loss since taking over the reins, its old one, Smith, may have punched his tournament ticket after Minnesota's victory against Wisconsin.

I'm not saying Smith was necessarily the answer in Lexington, but one thing Kentucky fans were able to count on was that their 'Cats would be dancing come March.

Not these days.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

craftsy, you know little brother was at the game last night..

yall got a serious shot from everything I can tell...
i heard
pimp.gif

He had to be happy with that experience last night, was a really fun atmosphere the whole time. I heard he's been to quite a few actually. If we couldsnag him, our squad two years from now would be something pretty serious I think.

Tiny Gallon and Oak Hill were just on ESPN2 vs Montrose Christian.

Yarou was a beast.

But I was really impressed with Gallon. That man is a monster.

Is anyone watching the Creighton game? %!% ARE THEY DOING. LEARN HOW TO PASS THE DAMN BALL AND LEARN HOW NOT TO FOUL AND MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS!

If G'Town beats DePaul tomorrow..

Tuesday is as follows..

Cinci/DePaul - Noon
SHU/St John's - 2
ND/Rutgers - 7
G'Town/USF - 9

winners play same time the next day(s)

2nd round and top seeds still have a lot to play out tomorrow. But Nova is locked into #4.

I know.

oh, and Cinci has to beat SHU for that as well.

if either do not....

flip G'Town and SHU.

I think they do sessions for tickets?...afternoon and night..

so in that case it would. but i'm not positive.

last thing...If Cuse, WVU and PC all finish 10-8 (likely)

Providence is 6th, Cuse 7th and WVU 8th.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I've never been to the BE tournament before but will my ticket to the SJU game get me access to the Cincy game?
Yea I think it is a kind of a afternoon session.

They clear people out.

Night session.

Has it been hard for anyone to get tickets? How are they getting tickets to every university, but still just fans of the school. There really can't be thatmany to go around.

Saturday:
11 a.m.: "College GameDay" (ESPN)
Noon: Connecticut at Pittsburgh (CBS)
Noon: Michigan at Minnesota (ESPN)
2 p.m.: Syracuse at Marquette (ESPN360)
2 p.m.: Missouri at Texas A&M (ESPN2)
2 p.m.: Kentucky at Florida (CBS)
3:30 p.m.: Okla. St. at Oklahoma (ABC regional)
4 p.m.: Texas at Kansas (CBS)
4 p.m.: Big South finals (ESPN2)
5:30 p.m.: Washington St. at Washington (FSN)
6 p.m.: Atlantic Sun finals (ESPN2)
8 p.m.: Ohio Valley finals (ESPN2)
9 p.m.: Louisville at West Virginia (ESPN)
10 p.m.: UNLV at San Diego St. (CSN)
Midnight: "Midnight Madness" (ESPN)

Sunday:
Noon: Purdue at Michigan St. (CBS)
2 p.m.: Missouri Valley finals (CBS)
4 p.m.: Duke at North Carolina (CBS)
5 p.m.: Northwestern at Ohio St. (BTN)
6 p.m.: Clemson at Wake Forest (FSN)

capt.c775d7022eb44262820678242d0e0016.wcc_loyola_marymount_san_diego__basketball_nvjh108.jpg

capt.ab1bc27739fe44579a58da98c8645772.mvc_creighton_wichita_st_basketball_motg120.jpg

capt.c8481b1f9c544b6298992e09bc71f09b.mvc_creighton_wichita_st_basketball_motg123.jpg

capt.1486eca346f44eaf83f1ad81b64f7840.boeheim_milestone_gfx784.jpg

And here's a random article on Stephen Curry and Courtney Paris

[h1]Our dream duo[/h1] [h2]As March Madness heats up with conference tourneys this week, we go one-on-one with two of the NCAA's best.[/h2]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]By Reyhaneh Fathieh[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He's a sharpshooting guard often dubbed the "baby-faced assassin." She's a towering force of nature. So, as college hoops turns up the heat with conference tournaments this week, who better to take part in our annual March Madness one-on-one than Oklahoma center Courtney Paris and Davidson guard Stephen Curry?[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Paris dominates in the paint, scoring points and rebounds in the double digits night after night. In classic Cinderella-story style, Curry took tiny Davidson to the Elite Eight in last year's NCAA tournament. (The school, in North Carolina about 20 miles north of Charlotte, is more known for its rigorous academics.)[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]When USA WEEKEND Magazine caught up to them for a chat off the court, both Paris and Curry were ready for anything, demonstrating much chemistry when it came to pregame rituals, the dating game and their secret career ambitions to be a mascot. To find out more, read on:[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Is there anything on-court that you can't do?[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Paris:[/font] I wish I could play as a point guard. I ask the coach every day to do this, but she won't let me.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] I'd like to be able to dunk. But when I try, people think it's a layup.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Do you get much love from famous folks in the stands?
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] Sure. LeBron James signed a jersey for me: "Best player in North Carolina."
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Paris:[/font] We haven't had any LeBrons! Probably the most famous person at our game was Toby Keith. He was like, "Come on, Courtney!" I guess I'll have to get into country music now.
[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Do you have any pregame rituals?
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] I take a nap, walk out the same door, put my shoes on right foot first, then left, and I say the same things to my athletic trainer and teammates.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Paris:[/font] That's a lot! I just need to wear something underneath my jersey. That's it.
[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Who's your celebrity dream date?
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] Danica Patrick. I got stuck in an elevator with her once. I'd love to get in her race car and have her drive me around.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Paris:[/font] Jay-Z. I would love to freestyle rap with him.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] I don't think Beyonce would be too happy about that.
[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What's your secret, Walter Mitty-styled ambition?
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Paris:[/font] I like mascots! If I wasn't playing basketball, I'd want to be one.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] I want to be the guy that does the dunking off the trampoline during halftime. I'll have to leave the hot mascot suit to Courtney.
[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]How many Facebook friend requests do you get?
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] A lot. I don't have my profile hidden or anything, so people flood in the requests. The "ignore all" button is money.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Paris:[/font] We're not Facebook friends. Maybe I'm one of the people that friended you and got ignored!
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Curry:[/font] I slipped up on that one. Next time I see a computer, Courtney, I'll get you in.
[/font]

http://[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Go to top[/font]

[h2]Statistics on our dream duo[/h2]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Stephen Curry Junior/Davidson College[/font][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Position: Guard
Height: 6-foot-3
Distinction: This scoring machine led Davidson to the Elite Eight last year; one of the all-time best three-point shooters; 2008 Most Outstanding Player of the Midwest Region
Academics: Majors in sociology
Family hoops ties: His dad, Dell Curry, played for 16 years in the NBA
Can't live without: His iPod Touch
Dream pro team to play for: The Miami Heat, with Dwyane Wade
[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Courtney Paris Senior/University of Oklahoma[/font][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Position: Center
Height: 6-foot-4
Distinction: 2008 Big 12 Player of the Year; 2007 National Player of the Year; holds NCAA record for most consecutive double-doubles; set women's NCAA record for most rebounds in a single season
Academics: Journalism major
Double trouble: Twin sister Ashley also plays basketball for Oklahoma
Signature dish: Steak and fried rice
Favorite invention: Google Women's Final Four
[/font]

Placed some bets with a friend...I got UConn, Oklahoma, and Georgetown.
Thinking about taking Duke and/or Purdue for Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom