The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

unbelievable weekend of ball ahead of us.. followed by my favorite week of the season.
pimp.gif

1st week of the tourney > anything though.

If Uconn goes into Pitt on Senior Day and wins, I'll be semi-shocked.
PITTSBURGH - I'm getting ready to leave my hotel in a few minutes to make the drive to the Peterson Events Center for the huge matchup between two teams - Pittsburgh and UConn - fighting for Big East supremacy and also No. 1 seeds.

But today is a terrific day overall with three automatic berths on the line. Cornell became the first time to officially make it into the Big Dance after winning the Ivy League last night (The Ivy does not have a postseason tourney).

Big South - The two top seeds, No. 1 Radford and No. 2 VMI, will face one another at 4 p.m. ET

Atlantic Sun - Again, it's the top two seeds battling - No. 1 Jacksonville and No. 2 East Tennessee State at 6 p.m. ET

Ohio Valley - No. 4 Morehead State, which upset top-seeded UT Martin and Lester Hudson yesterday, will face No. 2 Austin Peay in the championship game at 8 p.m. ET

- Davidson is in action this afternoon at 2 p.m. in the Southern Conference quarterfinals against No. 5 Appalachian State.

- Creighton plays Illinois State is the Missouri Valley Conference semis. The Bluejays can't afford a loss here if they want at at-large bid.

- The CAA quarterfinals gets underway with all the top teams - VCU, George Mason and Northeastern - in action.

watch J'Ville a little today if you get a chance, I've followed them since we played them early on and those kids have a little bit of game.

I think the Pitt Uconn game will be a lot closer.
Pitt dominated the first time but I don't see that happening again ..

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

unbelievable weekend of ball ahead of us.. followed by my favorite week of the season.
pimp.gif

1st week of the tourney > anything though.

I really enjoy championship week - you get games on pretty much all day and all night from today until next Sunday, from teams in every conference..everybody's last chance to try to dance.

It's a close call - i guess i contradict myself a bit since i always take off work the thurs/fri of the opening round of NCAA's, but I probably havemore overall enjoyment out of championship week in some ways.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

^ yeah, that wasn't a slight to champ week.

we'll just label them the best 2 weeks in sports.
yeah
laugh.gif
luckily we don't have to pick between them, weget them back to back every single year.
pimp.gif

4 games to watch for me...

Noon: Connecticut at Pittsburgh (CBS)
2 p.m.: Syracuse at Marquette (ESPN360)
2 p.m.: Kentucky at Florida (CBS)
9 p.m.: Louisville at West Virginia (ESPN)

It kills me when they debate should there be more teams in the tournament..

How many bubble teams are struggling to win games down the stretch?

Win and your win, it's simple.

64 is a perfect number as of now IMO.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

It kills me when they debate should there be more teams in the tournament..

How many bubble teams are struggling to win games down the stretch?

Win and your win, it's simple.

64 is a perfect number as of now IMO.
Couldn't agree more - there's no need to include more than 34 at large teams - the fact that the last 4-10 teams that get in most yearsare beyond mediocre should tell you all you need to know. If you can't prove over the course of an entire season that you have a right to be in thetournament, and make it a clear case, there's no gripe you can really claim.

Guys like Bilas act like playing in the tournament is your chance to prove you belong there - but the season itself is your proving ground, that's what idon't get how he can ignore.

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

I agree 64 is perfect. I say get rid of the play-in game as well.

BTW, GO PITT!!!

Only reason I don't mind that they did added the play-in is because a conference was created out of thin air and given a bid... there will be another newconference next year - i'm not sure yet how they're handling that in terms of bids, but i think it's important not to just cut down at-large bidseverytime a new conference is made, or teams will just keep dividing into new conferences to ensure bids.

Ryan, gotta love that ringing endorsement from Coach Knight (basically swatted aside the choice between Michigan, Arizona and Providence and chose Penn Stateinstead, haha)!

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

Ryan, gotta love that ringing endorsement from Coach Knight (basically swatted aside the choice between Michigan, Arizona and Providence and chose Penn State instead, haha)!

i know, i couldn't believe he came out of left field with that one.

Unfortunately, we're in a no-win situation today @Iowa... game the experts will expect us to win, but we're on short turn-around, in a let-downsituation, with one of our best players hurt... vegas has us as 3 point underdogs, but somehow i doubt we'll get any credit if we lose today - which wevery likely will. Squarely on the bubble again we would be.

And the worst part is - if we lose, our first round matchup in the BTT does us no good either as it will likely be a team that can only hurt us again. Whereasa win no only gets us in for sure, but would provide another good opponent to boost our resume in the BTT.

ugh... so stressful, i did not sleep well last night.
laugh.gif

Just like the first game, I think it's so close to call (between Pitt-Conn).

But so far, it's looking to be a good one.

ThaBeast doing his thing.

Game is intense! I love it.

Feels like a tourney game.

Conn missing too many bunnies right now though.

Back
Top Bottom