The College Basketball Post

Its ridiculous what the Izzo system does to these kids. Last summer I came back from watching an MSU scrimmage thinking that Dawson was already the best player on the team. Catching oops, dunking on Nix and whatever 4-star white dude, coast to coast, mid range. Izzo has his strategy not to play his freshman and make them go through upperclassman "right of passage." It hurt them last year. Not going to be able to do it as much this year because this is one of the youngest MSU teams I can remember.
Heard captains are Nix and Russ, doesn't say much about the leadership on the squad.

You thought Dawson wasn't given enough of an opportunity? I thought he did well and got enough of a chance before his injury.

Paulie, I don't know. haven't looked into it.

I hope Izzo is right about improving his jump shot... if he's done that and he can get back to where he was athletically then he's really going to be a damn good player.

I remember going to watch him play as a Sophmore at Lew Wallace in Gary and thinking he had the chance to be REAL, hopefully that comes to fuition.

Various media day pics:

:smh:

Last edited:
You thought Dawson wasn't given enough of an opportunity? I thought he did well and got enough of a chance before his injury.
Paulie, I don't know. haven't looked into it.

Not nearly enough. Before looking I would have guessed he played 10-15 minutes a game. His actual average was 20 mpg, better and more of what I would have expected out of a first year guy. 8/5/1 split isn't terrible either.

My issue is more related to his presence in those 20 minutes... didn't see enough based on the fact that I think he's flat out the best player on the team. It seemed like his production was limited to whatever leftovers he got from Day Day and Appling. Izzo needs to run plays for him, get him involved, tell Appling to stop shooting and they'll do much better. MSU did poorly last year because teams recognized that despite the hype, you let Day Day try to take over the whole game and shut down the rest.

Russell Byrd can shoot. I have no clue why Izzo didn't give him minutes last year. A lack of shooters has been Sparty's weakness for the last couple years... and soft bigs. Seeing him as a captain is extremely surprising.

:smokin So a hypothetical question...Now with the twins and Young if UK lands Randle and Wiggins how does that rank as a recruiting class all time?

I'm not hearing anything too positive about Florida's chances with Randle. The insiders think Texas is the second choice after UK

I hear ya, im just going off his relationship with donovan and evan daniels just mentioning texas and florida when it comes to randle....i put more stock in his info then any other media guys

lol Mississauga's own. :pimp:

Stauskas is going to play solid minutes this year and his shooting ability is going to be highly valued when Beilein goes to his 4-guard, 35 3's a game offense. He has decent handles too. Michigan has some decent Canada/T-dot ties and obviously Beilein's WV's connections. Would be cool to start a pipeline... Wiggins... :lol:

My guy Xavier Rathan-Mayes committing in Toronto (Scarborough) tomorrow night at a private party. FSU, UCONN, Illinois are his top 3.

Back
Top Bottom