Kind of graphic.

tumblr_msnmyonPIi1s3ggdno16_r8_1280.png

tumblr_msnmyonPIi1s3ggdno34_r1_1280.png

tumblr_msnmyonPIi1s3ggdno5_r4_1280.png

tumblr_msnmyonPIi1s3ggdno25_r2_1280.png

tumblr_msnmyonPIi1s3ggdno2_r3_1280.png

tumblr_msnmyonPIi1s3ggdno24_r3_1280.png

tumblr_msnmyonPIi1s3ggdno3_r2_1280.png

a four man anti poaching team is tasked with guarding the ol pejeta conservancy’s four remaining northern white rhinos. with only eight left, it is the world’s most endangered species. located in the laikipia district of kenya, ol pejeta conservancy is also the largest sanctuary for the black rhino. fewer than four thousand are estimated to remain.
the rise in asia’s middle class has meant that demand for rhino horn has soared, with prices on the black market exceeding that of gold and cocaine. with an increase in poaching in ol pejeta, the anti poaching team now provides twenty four hour armed protection for the rhinos, and has developed a close relationship with the animals.
poachers will track rhinos from helicopters, darting them from above and then hacking off the horn and part of the face with a chainsaw. the animals are often left to suffer and die. the rhinos seen here were found wandering in unimaginable pain, but with timely veterinary supervision remarkably survived. the rhino in the left of the fourth picture, however, had a four week old calf who, without his mother, subsequently died of dehydration.
to protect the rhinos and deter poachers, veterinarians will remove much of the animal’s horn. the rhino are anesthetized, and suffer no trauma. the horn is not like an elephant’s tusk, and will grow back in a few years.
2013 is on track to be the deadliest year yet for rhinos. two rhino are slaughtered for their tusks every day on average. photos by and text adapted from brent stirton’s “rhino wars”

tumblr_mnlgy3ucgc1qa5z1ro1_1280.jpg

A pastor in Seoul, South Korea has created a “baby box” for people so that people who would otherwise abandon or kill their newborns can leave them somewhere safe instead. The box has a light, a towel lining, and a bell rings as soon as a baby is placed in it so the pastor, his wife, or one of his staff can come and get it right away.
Lee Jong-rak started the box in 2009, and has welcomed all babies, often disabled or the children of single mothers, that have been placed in the box since. The babies are given a loving home, food, and shelter in his orphanage. Currently, an average of 17-18 babies are placed in the box every month.
One mother who had considered poisoning her baby before she heard about the Baby Box left her baby in the box with a letter pinned to his clothing that read:
‘My baby! Mom is so sorry.
I am so sorry to make this decision.
My son! I hope you to meet great parents,
And I am very very sorry.
I don’t deserve to say a word.
sorry, sorry, and I love you my son.
Mom loves you more than anything else.
I leave you here because I don’t know who your father is.
I used to think about something bad but I guess this box is safer for you.
That’s why I decided to leave you here.
My son, Please forgive me.’

- ‘A single mother’s tearful letter’
Lee Jong-rak is the subject of a documentary called “The Drop Box”, which I haven’t seen - but I can recommend this 13 minute Dateline video. You can find the Facebook page for the BabyBox here.

tumblr_mvf43b83gC1qzfsnio2_500.jpg

tumblr_mvf43b83gC1qzfsnio4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mvf43b83gC1qzfsnio5_1280.jpg

Would you care for a piping hot bowl of ramen? Let’s hope not because these bowls contain only sweet, deliciously deceptive cake. We’re always delighted by cakes that look like anything but cake. And these examples of Japanese Ramen Cake (ラーメンケーキ) are mouthwateringly awesome.
The Ramen Cake seen in the top photo was created by ochikeron of Create Eat Happy. She also made a fascinating How to Make Ramen Cake instructional video. The video’s description includes a complete recipe, so now you can go make your own tricksy bowl of noodles.

tumblr_lygusk5tWM1qiyidwo1_500.jpg

Wedding rings from people that were in the Holocaust.

tumblr_mbggdfuAKU1qzfq3xo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbggdfuAKU1qzfq3xo2_1280.jpg

“Candy cabbie” Mansoor Khalid gives passengers as much candy as they want.
Now that’s one sweet ride.
Taxi driver Mansoor Khalid is on a one-man mission to cheer up New Yorkers with a daily dose of candy.
“The New York life is not the easy life,” Khalid, 36, told the Daily News. “People are depressed. I see a lot of people stressed sitting back there.”
Khalid is no stranger to stress. He dubbed his taxi the NYC Candy Cab after his 2-year-old son died in April from a long battle with heart disease.
“I learned a lot of things,” he said of the trauma of losing his child, who underwent two heart transplants and lost a kidney before he passed away. “Life is too short.”
Khalid, who moved to New York from Pakistan in 1993 and has been driving a cab since 1997, had already seen the impact of small acts of generosity. During the two years he spent in the hospital with his son, he routinely brought coffee and desserts to the doctors and nurses when he got off his shift at 1 a.m.
“They got so happy when in the middle of the night I gave every person coffee,” he said. “I was so nice to them and they were so nice to me.”
After his son died, Khalid decided to bring his routine to the people he interacted with every day in his cab.
Khalid said he was inspired to do something sweet after the death of his 2-year-old son.
“I was very depressed, losing my little boy,” he said. “Somehow, God gave me this idea. Now (I’m) chit-chatting and time is flying by!”
Though he doesn’t eat much candy himself — “Skittles, only” — Khalid offers a wide variety of sweets, and has started cataloguing his collection on Instagram. Fans can also follow him on Twitter (@CandyCabNYC), and he may even start a blog for his growing following.
One such fan was thrilled to discover the cab on a late night out last weekend, and quickly spread the word about him through social media.
“We all started freaking out,” said David Weiner, 27. “You don’t see piles of candy like that in adulthood. It’s just one of those things that reminds you you’re in New York and anything can happen.”
And Khalid’s unusual project has the full support of the city.
“We encourage drivers to go the extra mile in the name of customer service, and Mr. Khalid certainly does this,” said Taxi and Limousine Commission boss David Yassky. “We appreciate the loyalty he inspires in his passengers.”
Loyalty isn’t the goal, considering that Khalid responds to every hail, candy or no candy. His mission is to spread warmth.
“It’s a little thing,” he said, “but people get happy.”

tumblr_m90dmpHspf1r0cerqo1_1280.jpg

A bus stop with swings
Except the truth is even better. This is in montreal and every summer they put up a series of musical swings. If you look in the background you can see more people swinging away.
Each swing is a set of four and has its own unique sound, but if you are in perfect harmony with the other 3 seats then an actual song is played. The theory is that you communicate and interact with people more if it’s for a specific goal and if you’re having fun

A bus stop with swings
Except the truth is even better. This is in montreal and every summer they put up a series of musical swings. If you look in the background you can see more people swinging away.
Each swing is a set of four and has its own unique sound, but if you are in perfect harmony with the other 3 seats then an actual song is played. The theory is that you communicate and interact with people more if it’s for a specific goal and if you’re having fun

my city :pimp:

dope contribution people :smokin

A bus stop with swings

my city :pimp:

dope contribution people :smokin

VERY dope. No wonder everyone from Canada has been super nice and easy going.

nah man, those rock climbing pics are sick. My stomach started hurting from just looking at the pics.

Most beautiful village in the world :

Hallstat, Austria :

Rotenburg, Germany :

Bilbury, UK :

Göreme, Turkey :

Gásadalur, Faroe Islands :

Popeye Village, Malta :

Village in the south of China :

Niger River, Mali :

Village in Iran :

Reine, Norway :

Fort Bourtange, Netherlands :

Riomaggiore, Italia :

Vernazza, Italia :

Mont Aiguille, France :

Hobbiton Village, New Zealand :

Village in the Hymalaya :

Last edited:
As seen in TAN thread

Dressing Better before dressing better was dressing better...

The Dapper Rebels of Los Angeles, 1966

In the summer of 1965, riots broke out in the Watts neighborhood of southern Los Angeles. Over a six-day period, 34 people were killed, 1,032 injured and over 3,438 arrests were made. In 1966, LIFE magazine revisited the site of the worst riots America had ever seen in its history. The photo essay depicting the region’s ‘fearsome street gangs’ however, turned out more like a fashion shoot for dapper style…

Decked out in preppy cardigans, high-waisted  rolled up trousers and Wayfarers to boot, these young men of South Central Los Angeles were an unmistakably dandy bunch in contrast to the considerably oppressive environment they were living in.

The African-American community in Watts came to its boiling pointing in August 1965 after years of police discrimination, exclusion from high-paying jobs and residential segregation. Racially restrictive covenants had kept 95 percent of Los Angeles real estate off-limits to the black and Asian communities which severely restricted education and economic opportunities for them.

Where the black community could buy homes in American suburbia and live out the middle-class dream, significant racial violence escalated. White gangs bombed homes and burnt crosses on the lawns. In response to the assaults, black mutual protection clubs formed and became the basis of the region’s fearsome street gangs.

In the 1960s, the LAPD was especially known for its police brutality against the city’s Latino and black residents. The police chief, William Parker actually made it a policy for officers to ‘establish dominance’ over young black and Latino teens and pre-teens as a way of showing who was boss. Frequent beatings, wrongful arrests, assaults on women became the norm for the African American community. On the night of August 11th, the intimidation and racial injustices backfired and the Watts’ African American population reached breaking point.

The riot started after a young African American was pulled over by police officers for suspicion of driving under the influence. When the driver’s family got involved, they were arrested too, including his mother. Local residents gathered and the situation intensified.  What starting with yelling escalated to hurling rocks, bricks and whatever they could find at the police. Twenty-nine people were arrested but it did not end there. By the following night Watts was in flames.

Rioters armed themselves and passionately shouted, “Burn baby burn” and “Long live Malcolm X.” Fires raged for four more days. A civil rights activist, Bayard Rustin wrote, “the whole point of the outbreak in Watts was that it marked the first major rebellion of Negroes against their own masochism and was carried on with the express purpose of asserting that they would no longer quietly submit to the deprivation of slum life.”

Back
Top Bottom